Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Which one is the proper memtest86? Plus or not-plus? Why is this even a thing?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think it's memtest86+ v6.x.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Memtest86 was open source software. The original dev sold it to PassMark. When PassMark moved to version 5, they rewrote from scratch as closed-source.

Memtest86+ was the fork that stayed open-source. It languished for a long time, and for years wasn't even usable (it didn't have UEFI booting years after UEIF-only was pretty normal). But recently has gotten updates making it better.

I would go with non-plus closed-source memtest86.com. They have better and more thorough tests, run the tests better & much faster because they customize code to each architecture's hardware, and the limitations (only 3 repeats, can't save result reports, etc) on the free version are not relevant to the basic "test my ram" job.

If you want fast testing, run a custom test and turn off the RowHammer test. RowHammer is IMO not terribly relevant for a home PC, and it takes a while.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 13, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Those Hynix M timings from Buildzoid seem to work fine on these modules, even at slightly lower voltages than he's advertising in his video. DDR5-6000 ECC, oh yeah!

--edit: Forgot guy's name.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 13, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

By optimize for architectures, do they mean microarchitectural optimization? Just for x86/amd64 there's over 50 of them.
There's no way they can fit over 50 binaries in a zip that's only ~10MB.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's no way they can fit over 50 binaries in a zip that's only ~10MB.

:negative:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm glad someone else got something out of my joke. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm glad someone else got something out of my joke. :v:

Pain counts as something, yes

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Pain counts as something, yes
Yes, it's Fun!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you're gonna stability test a memory overclock you probably don't want memtest86 and its variants. That one is good at finding bad cells but bad at finding memory instability. Really good overclock stability testing software is usually very janky, and the best one is also the jankiest of them all - it's a Russian program called TestMem5 that you need to run with some weird profile floating around on overclocking forums. Don't do that though, it's not worth it, OCCT has an okay memory stability test these days and isn't very janky at all.

Also, don't memory overclock; you will go insane. It's extremely hard to be sure it's actually stable, and you will never trust your system again. I say this as someone who spent approximately five weeks and many dozens of hours of stability system on overclocking DDR4-3600 to DDR4-4000 with much tighter timings for approximately ~10% memory benchmark gains. It was too much work to not use the settings but I have never trusted the system again since. It hasn't failed a stability test yet and I haven't seen any symptoms but after being disappointed by getting an error 9 hours into a stability test too many times (how do I know it won't fail 10 hours into a test, huh?) I am now 100% sure it'll start corrupting my files once summer comes and my apartment starts heating up. Everything affects memory stability.

Oh and don't trust Buildzoid on memory stability, he is an extremely good resource and I've learned tons about memory OC from him and his discord, but he doesn't test for daily stability, all he cares about is benchmark stability which an entirely different beast. Also he'll say things like "all B-die will do X" but there are a lot of very bad chips out there and my particular B-die did not in fact do X (I've forgotten what exact timing it was; he was like "ok welp" but some dudes on his discord got into an argument with me if it was actually B-die or not but in the end had to agree that yes, it is, it's just lovely B-die).

If there is one thing you take away from this it's that it is not enough with one memory stability test to declare a memory overclock stable. You want multiple different test programs and you want very long runs, ideally 10 hours or more (for 32GB; benchmark time scales almost linearly with amount of memory), and you should also try to add some thermal stress to the system if you want to be really sure. I'm not sure if these Hynix chips are temperature sensitive but many memory chips are.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 14, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The buildzoid timings being referenced are considered fairly lax timings that almost any Hynix M-die or A-die kit can run and were specifically tested for daily stability.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The buildzoid timings being referenced are considered fairly lax timings that almost any Hynix M-die or A-die kit can run and were specifically tested for daily stability.

I don't trust that whatsoever.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Like, just don't. Memory OC is not like CPU OC. You can set timings and it'll appear to work just fine and you run two different benchmarks for two hours each and it seems fine and the next day it corrupts your doctoral thesis (or 2000 hour Factorio save, or whatever). It is incredibly finicky, memory chips vary wildly in performance, CPU memory controllers vary wildly in performance, motherboards vary wildly in performance, heck even environmental factors vary wildly. If you're lucky Buildzoid has tested a couple dozen combinations. That's very helpful of him! It still isn't a guarantee that it'll work on your system even if it appears to work just fine at first! By all means do it if you like messing around but you need to stability test it yourself!

yes I probably have mild PTSD from memory OC but it's not too late to learn from my mistakes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do any of the memory OC guides encourage you to call it stable after just 4 hours?

Then again at 4 hours stable I would save the bios preset as “stablish” and use that as a baseline for further tightening.

BTW if you’re doing memory overclocking over the course of days you should run sfc /scannow somewhat regularly to see what you’re loving up during unstable boots. Do not open anything other than memory OC tools until you prove stability.

Oh and don’t touch tREFI or explore aggressive tRFC unless you do not care about any storage device plugged into your PC.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I also have memory overclocking ptsd from frying my ram from overvolting. I did overclock my ram on my current ddr4 system but I was conservative and didn’t over think it. First I kept it at stock voltage and timings then went up in 100mhz increments until it crashed then backed off, 3333mhz @ 3600mhz for the last 5 years no problem.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TheFluff posted:

yes I probably have mild PTSD from memory OC but it's not too late to learn from my mistakes

See, the trick there is to buy ECC memory, OC that from JDEC to whatever similar retail kits are at speed wise, then forget about it forever, or at least until your machine segfaults or BSODs with an unrecoverable error message. Then you reboot, back the OC down 100 Mhz and go back to playing Factorio!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

hobbesmaster posted:

Do any of the memory OC guides encourage you to call it stable after just 4 hours?

Not exactly, but Buildzoid likes to show a single full run of TM5 with anta's extreme config (takes around 3 hours for 32GB) in combination with a couple hours of something else as proof of stability. I was also somewhat concerned about Combat Pretzel who posted about memtest86 and then two hours later came back to say "these timings seem fine". I'm sure they do but please be more paranoid!

e: actually he mentioned he has ECC on the previous page so I'm probably just an idiot and he can be a lot more nonchalant about this than I could!

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 14, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

Either your TV is a piece of poo poo or you're doing something very wrong. It's not any harder to get your PC to work with a TV than with a monitor, aside from TV-end stuff that you most certainly need to do for a console anyway. There's no difference between the output from a PC and the output from a console. The only thing that might be harder on PC is controlling when and how the TV wakes and sleeps.

my (taichi ultimate+9900K, not AMD) and EVGA 3090 refuses to show any display output on my LG C1 until it gets into windows. It also hangs when trying to restart. So there's no way to get into BIOS with my C1 :shrug:

not that big an issue so I haven't taken the time to debug it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I never had a problem with memtest86 not being a good test of OC memory stability -- if it passed it argeed with OCCT, prime95 set to blend, and general observed system stability.

But I never got close to "extreme" OCing in any way shape or form, just tiny improvements over XMP settings. Mainly running C15-3000 at C16-3200 with some tighter subtimings, to avoid the Ryzen odd-cas hate. I don't want to spend the time, and definitely wasn't spending the money on extreme OC RAM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, these are ECC modules and the error reporting works. I’ll be hawking over the WHEA logs the next while.

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh and don’t touch tREFI or explore aggressive tRFC unless you do not care about any storage device plugged into your PC.
What does that mean? loving up file system metadata?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 14, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol, was just looking up benchmarks for the new ryzen mobile parts and

quote:

Within minutes of the first, pre-release, 7000 series userbenchmark results, AMD’s marketers broadcast a 20% win over the 12900K via thousands of anonymous twitter, reddit, forum and youtube accounts. Buying new AMD products is like buying used cars: it takes time, experience and a taste for sales hype. It’s difficult for consumers to make rational choices while AMD completely dominates “sponsored news” and social media channels. Ten years ago, when AMD was the underdog, this type of marketing was understandable. Today, with a capitalization of $150 Billion USD, it’s disrespectful to AMD's own users. Even with Intel's marketing department asleep at the wheel, Ryzen will quickly end up in the same state as Radeon. Following a series of overhyped releases, consumers have little interest in the Radeon brand. The combined market share for all of AMD’s (discrete) Radeon RX 5000 and 6000 GPUs (Steam stats) is just 2%. Although the new 7000 series Zen4 CPUs are actually around 15% faster than their predecessors, they have hefty cooling requirements (TDP +60% vs 5000 series), 30 second BIOS post times, expensive DDR5 RAM requirements and only work with expensive motherboards. Despite the 7000 series struggling to match Intel’s outgoing 12th gen, AMD market it as a “future proof” platform! They want users to pay a premium for last gen performance in exchange for the shallow promise of upgrades in the future. Over the next few days, Intel’s 13th gen (Raptor Lake) will launch. Shoppers will do well to wait until then. Despite AMD’s Neanderthal marketing techniques, it’s hard not to admire their technical progress. AMD-Raptor4 and Intel-Zen13 would be better fitting product names. [Sep '22 CPUPro]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

lol, was just looking up benchmarks for the new ryzen mobile parts and

is that the userbenchmark guy?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah, notebookcheck did an article on them a while back and goddamn

https://www.notebookcheck.net/UserB...n.638003.0.html

quote:

UserBenchmark has reduced its credibility levels further by simply attacking the latter, finishing an SKU description with: “if Zen 4 actually delivers anywhere near a 57% single core uplift, we will bow down, call AMD king, and commit seppuku”. This is in regard to the Ryzen 5 7600X sample showing an apparent +56% gain over the Ryzen 5 5600X in single-core speed. It’s likely there will be many DIY builders and desktop PC enthusiasts hoping for that to come true.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Subjunctive posted:

is that the userbenchmark guy?

He needs help. It was funny, but it's now concerning

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HalloKitty posted:

He needs help. It was funny, but it's now concerning

It’s kind of funny in that it’s the most stereotypical kind of nerd rage possible but you’re right that the dude needs therapy bad.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Paul MaudDib posted:

my (taichi ultimate+9900K, not AMD) and EVGA 3090 refuses to show any display output on my LG C1 until it gets into windows. It also hangs when trying to restart. So there's no way to get into BIOS with my C1 :shrug:

not that big an issue so I haven't taken the time to debug it

That also happens on monitors, though. I have an EVGA 3090 and it only displays on a single monitor (based on port) until the driver kicks it into multi monitor mode. If it's happening with only one monitor attached, that does seem a bit weird.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

So I'm really hoping this isn't your problem, but my piece of poo poo Vizio overheats if you feed it 4:4:4 4k input like a PC would do. It does it faster and more often when it's warm, and less during winter. People got motherboards swapped during warranty but the problem just comes back.

It freezes and looks like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Official/comments/9khidv/m65d0_randomly_freezing_and_rebooting/

Apparently you can reflow the motherboard to fix it for a while, but I just signed and only feed it 1080p from a computer. As long as I just feed it 4:2:0 video it only does it once in a blue moon.

TV quality varies way more than monitors because they're so cheap now.

Oh hey, I had a similar problem with a D43-F1 - once it had been on for an hour or two, the image would get this periodic double-vision sort of flicker. Tried a couple replacement motherboards from eBay but one was for the wrong model of TV, and one was stuck in store display mode. I ended up going back to the original motherboard and using a hole saw to cut a port for a 120mm exhaust fan. With a 4-12V input range fan running off the USB port, it's basically silent but moves enough air that I haven't seen any problems since.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
Interesting to see these in a server use case, I'd be curious to drop one into a 4u white box to replace some Haswell and Broadwell EP Xeons for general virtualization and FreeNAS use.

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-server-the-asrock-rack-1u4lw-b650-2l2t-review/4/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hockenheim posted:

Interesting to see these in a server use case, I'd be curious to drop one into a 4u white box to replace some Haswell and Broadwell EP Xeons for general virtualization and FreeNAS use.

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-server-the-asrock-rack-1u4lw-b650-2l2t-review/4/
Yesterday, I was talking with some of the other FreeBSD developers about the board used in this server, and pairing it with a Ryzen 9 7900 that's got 12 cores, a beefy amount of L2 cache (even compared to much more expensive offerings), and an easily coolable 65W TDP even for a passive heatsink and shroud plus some lower-RPM Noctua fans.

It's got AVX2 for offloading RAIDz matrix calculations and SHA2 for SHA256 checksums, so the only thing that's going to be using a much cputime is the compression algorithm.
It's a pity that zstd doesn't really benefit from SIMD like AVX2, as Huffman and FSE compressions do, but given how fast zstd is, it probably doesn't mean much.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 14, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you can use the extra L3 cache, the X3D version should use similar power, especially if in Eco mode. The 3Dcache doesn't clock as high, so it doesn't consume as much power.

Although, the heterogeneous nature of it might make using it more complicated than its worth.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kibner posted:

If you can use the extra L3 cache, the X3D version should use similar power, especially if in Eco mode. The 3Dcache doesn't clock as high, so it doesn't consume as much power.

Although, the heterogeneous nature of it might make using it more complicated than its worth.
I have a hard time believing that more L3 benefits ZFS - it's doesn't do a whole lot of CPU intensive maths, even if you don't have AVX2 or SHA2.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s kind of funny in that it’s the most stereotypical kind of nerd rage possible but you’re right that the dude needs therapy bad.

The guy is just a typical perpetually-online, curtains-drawn neckbeard. He doesn't need help, he needs to get a life.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are we expecting any new AM5 boards before the 7800X3D rolls out, or is it still the introductory crop? All the chipset names blur together in my brain so I can never keep track.

Have a case on the way, need motherboard and cooler and RAM and I'm all ready for that sexy, cachey baby.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Went to a local dealer today who told me that since I'm looking at On-DIMM ECC, I shouldn't be expecting availability until some time in August. :mad:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

Are we expecting any new AM5 boards before the 7800X3D rolls out, or is it still the introductory crop? All the chipset names blur together in my brain so I can never keep track.

Have a case on the way, need motherboard and cooler and RAM and I'm all ready for that sexy, cachey baby.

No new major chipsets or revisions, so if any mobos come out they're just a new model.

B650 = pretty much a direct continuation of the X470/B550 chipset with upgrades
X670 = a second B650 chip connected to the first one to provide more PCIe, USB, and so on
Add an E to the end = PCIe 5.0*

*all AM5 boards have a gen 5 m.2 slot, so the ad copy for a non-E board may still say "PCIe 5.0!!!!!"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

No new major chipsets or revisions, so if any mobos come out they're just a new model.

B650 = pretty much a direct continuation of the X470/B550 chipset with upgrades
X670 = a second B650 chip connected to the first one to provide more PCIe, USB, and so on
Add an E to the end = PCIe 5.0*

*all AM5 boards have a gen 5 m.2 slot, so the ad copy for a non-E board may still say "PCIe 5.0!!!!!"
Plenty of AM5 boards don't have PCIe5, and some AM5 B650 boards have PCIe5 x16 as well as PCIe5 x4.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are AM5 boards with zero PCIe 5, but I don't think there are any non-E boards with an PCIe5 x16 slot. The presence of that is what allows manufacturers to use the E, and they all seem to do so.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Plenty of AM5 boards don't have PCIe5, and some AM5 B650 boards have PCIe5 x16 as well as PCIe5 x4.

for example...?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

for example...?
Well, there's this, this, and that's not even all of them from Gigabyte.
Other manufacturers also have them.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Storage Interface, CPU: 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 25110/2280 PCIe 5.0* x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_CPU)
* Actual support may vary by CPU.

:confused: