Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ithle01 posted:

Authority is there so small countries or underdeveloped countries can punch a little above their weight class and to assist with passing reforms in the early game. I really doubt it was intended to be meaningful past the mid-game when the only thing it gets used for is consumption taxes on services to boost the amount of construction I can afford. That being said, authority does make the start of the game more interesting because it lets you try and focus on what you want to do at the beginning and then pursue that.

Better said than me, and it cements the fact it's not a real tradeoff, and from mid game on you should always be changing those laws, which isn't exactly that engaging. Gimme a reason to keep the monarchy around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

One thing pushing the game towards full communism is how brokenly powerful a +20% workforce ratio is. The labor unions have the best interest group bonuses in the game by far.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Is there a decent guide/guideline for the Ottomans?

Thanks for the responses. I completed sick man with 6 years to spare. Education is still probably impossible, the war goals were fairly easy because of the ease of getting GB and France as friends. Egypt attacked me first which made it even easier to reclaim the territory. I wasn't close to making the urbanization cut-off either.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One feature I hope they add for 1.3 is the ability for members of a customs union to see what their own supply and demand of each good is. It would make it a lot easier to know what you would need to build in order to cleanly leave your customs union.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Authority definitely needs a bit of rework to make it more interesting past the opening strategy part of the game, but that's something for the future. At the moment it is kind of interesting given that you can do some effects with it that can be powerful in a subtle way such as boosting or suppressing interest groups or the occasional construction efficiency boost in a state that you are bootstrapping into an industrial powerhouse (I really wish I knew the specifics of how to use that edict because I never am sure if it's working or not), but it's not a mechanic that really shines or seems interesting because the effects of it tend to be either opaque or just straight +money.

IGs are a lot of fun. I really wish there was a little more power behind IG leaders sometimes and that the effects were more pronounced, but I can understand why players may not want to have their fate determined by the dice roll of getting lovely IG leaders who sabotage you. Then again V3 games are short enough that I don't mind some craziness. Nation or tag specific unique IGs having unique bonuses and penalties would be pretty cool though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What's the best way to play India? If I start as the Raj and throw off the British, am I still ruled by a bunch of white colonial guys, or is there a way to change accepted cultures?

StashAugustine posted:

Man I thought railroads would be my infrastructure fix but now they're insanely short of engines and I'm gonna have to bootstrap not just a motor industry but also basically my steel industry too. Can't trade for enough engines, but might be able to get some steel I guess
I've run into that issue a few times. It's way easier to get the railroad tech and build basic things up until you run into infrastructure issues than it is to build up the industry that you also need. You can easily go from basically any tech backwater country all the way to railroads well before there are enough engines on the market for you to actually buy them. You really do need to find some way to support your own engine factory, at steel isn't much better in terms of availability, so you need one of those too. I've had the railroads tech and a huge infrastructure need for them before having either factory multiple times.

You either need to plan ahead for that (making a point of jump starting steel demand with steel tools often works), or if you're too small to make them yourself, you really just need to join a market that's making engines. Probably the British. The economic game goes into easy mode when you're in the British market, but it's a real challenge to build things up to the point where you can leave again, and you have no idea if you did it successfully until you hit the button and watch your economy go into free fall.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

So is there no way to get military access through your PU? It's a bit silly I have to naval invade Holstein to rid them of their rebels as Denmark, because Schleswig won't let me pass through Jutland.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eiba posted:

I've run into that issue a few times. It's way easier to get the railroad tech and build basic things up until you run into infrastructure issues than it is to build up the industry that you also need. You can easily go from basically any tech backwater country all the way to railroads well before there are enough engines on the market for you to actually buy them. You really do need to find some way to support your own engine factory, at steel isn't much better in terms of availability, so you need one of those too. I've had the railroads tech and a huge infrastructure need for them before having either factory multiple times.

You either need to plan ahead for that (making a point of jump starting steel demand with steel tools often works), or if you're too small to make them yourself, you really just need to join a market that's making engines. Probably the British. The economic game goes into easy mode when you're in the British market, but it's a real challenge to build things up to the point where you can leave again, and you have no idea if you did it successfully until you hit the button and watch your economy go into free fall.

Yeah I eventually managed to get it running but it took a while, plus GB took on my debt which I'm sure will never lead to problems later. I'm still running my own market but I should probably see about putting an interest in Europe I guess since the only real economies I can trade with are England and America

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I'd like to see you be able to spend Authority to pass laws, so that more authoritarian governments can pass what they like rather than waiting on the IGs to do it like a democracy does.
Perhaps it could also radicalize those who don't want the law even more than they already are, so there'd be a cost/benefit just like making wargoals into Primary wargoals.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

imo tech should make edicts become more powerful as the game goes on, like mass communications and war propaganda make greener grass and recruitment more powerful, nationalism make promoting national values more powerful etc. Possibly even a way that cause edicts apply to strategic regions instead of individual states with an appropriate price increase. That way you have an incentive to stay authoritarian and thus have enough authority to keep using ever more powerful and wide reaching edicts.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

There should be for the player only some way to track and assign rights by “state view group”, which is a metacategory of pops grouped by what the state thinks the us/them groupings are.

The player should only be able to interact at this level and if they want to affect other pops, they need to change the state view grouping (hard) or have a revolution/change in government that has other default groupings.

E.G:

Traditionalist country-> you can only deal with pops on the basis of (1) high status at beginning of game (2) low status at beginning of game (3) foreigner

Capitalist country -> complex interaction of wealth and ethnicity

“Race science” country -> can only interact based on ethnicity

Communist country or oligarchy -> can only interact based on (pre-revolution) standard of living .

Re multiculturalism: it shouldn’t matter too much until you have welfare, and then it should become really really controversial, unless the player is getting all their wealth from colonial exploitation of somewhere else.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TorakFade posted:

One of my issues with the game: some things just seem straight up better than others in every case and I can't see any reason to "change" away from them. Dedicated Police force and Professional Army are usually the first two laws I pass in my games, and then they stay like that until the end of the game because there's just no reason to ever change them back again

I agree with Dedicated Police Force, but Professional Army is more situational. I haven't tested how a Mass Conscription army does versus a Professional Army, but being able to hit the panic button and call up 4000+ conscript battalions as opposed to Professional Army's 800 sounds really good on paper.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
National Militia lets you have a lot of Army Projection on the cheap, and it's really good if you don't plan on invading anyone.

I wish there was a policy to mobilize the economy and implement rationing, where Loyalists and non-Radicals would decrease their more luxurious pop needs For the War Effort. I also wish Arms factories had a 'mothballed' PM, so they could staff up as needed if the country went to war.

Professional Army is really good if you plan on being at war all the time, as your economy doesn't change much between at war and at peace. I however wish National Guard had levels you could scale it up, it's a really nice Home Affairs law that's really shafted for whatever reason.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Mass conscription allows smaller countries to punch way above their weight. Before forming Romania I was able to get Bessarabia from Russia with only slightly better troops, and all it cost me was the entire peasant population of Wallachia and most of Moldavia's. Naturally in the next war I threw the Bessarabian peasants at the Ottomans for Dobrudja and Serbia. After that I probably could've gotten by with just a professional army, but I did appreciate having conscription when I went up against a Habsburg mega-Germany for Transylvania.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Agean90 posted:

You can also get a trickle of passive immigration outside of mass migrations by having other countries in your market

So you can either butter up one of the powers and join their market or start invading people and forcing them into. Then you'll start to drain people out of them and into your iron mines.

korea and a released manchuria are great for this. presumably the rest of the chinese releasables too but I havent tried

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the ottomans keep staying tauntingly close to the great power line but never crossing it :argh:

i just wanna smack someone easy to get recognition

america is the next target but it seems like a war with them would be annoying as hell

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I've started a new game as Britain. I would like to annex Canada because despite them being my puppet and in my market, I know the HBC isn't going to build its oil rigs as fast as I will in Alberta. Is there a way to annex the various Canadas without going to war with them?

I mean, Quebec I can see fighting me but I don't see why a bunch of Anglo-Canadian fur traders are getting rebellious that I want to eat Manitoba.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

TorakFade posted:

in almost any landowner-heavy start, the first thing to do is beeline Dedicated Police force and Professional Army, since the army likes those and they're usually buddy-buddies with the landowners, sometimes even starting in government togheter (if not, you can easily add them at the earliest opportunity). Both of those iirc help a bit in loosening the landowners' grip on power and appeasing other IGs.

One of my issues with the game: some things just seem straight up better than others in every case and I can't see any reason to "change" away from them. Dedicated Police force and Professional Army are usually the first two laws I pass in my games, and then they stay like that until the end of the game because there's just no reason to ever change them back again (multiculturalism would be the same, if they hadn't "nerfed" it just recently, which only makes it harder to get but still leaves it as once it's done, you're never voluntarily going back). If you don't have big internal strife and can keep civil wars at bay, guaranteed liberties is another no-brainer.

I'd like a lot more if there were actual tradeoffs and things to consider rather than "as soon as your country isn't going to go full-on revolt if the law passes, just pass it and keep it forever" like it was an upgrade in a roguelike game or something. Give me choices, like the economic system laws or trade laws, where depending on how my country is run and what I want to achieve, I'd choose between the various available options and switch them around if needed later on.

E: the best thing you can do to kneecap the landowners if you can't actually change laws is switching production/ownership methods, so that you have as little employed aristocrats and clergymen as possible. If you can get separation of state and church (can't remember the actual name), switch all your government administration buildings, urban centers and universities to the PMs / ownership methods that don't have aristocrats or clergymen and Landowners + Church will be MUCH less of a threat.

the authority stuff was a step in the right direction, since being able to stack up goods taxes to accelerate construction early on is at least some tradeoff compared to the literal "rush it" from before.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I've started a new game as Britain. I would like to annex Canada because despite them being my puppet and in my market, I know the HBC isn't going to build its oil rigs as fast as I will in Alberta. Is there a way to annex the various Canadas without going to war with them?

I mean, Quebec I can see fighting me but I don't see why a bunch of Anglo-Canadian fur traders are getting rebellious that I want to eat Manitoba.

Confederate Canada first so you dont have to annex half a dozen minors and get the free prestige, but no you have to do the annex diplo play. You could get them to submit to that peacefully by intimidation but that's the only way without war

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the ottomans keep staying tauntingly close to the great power line but never crossing it :argh:

i just wanna smack someone easy to get recognition

america is the next target but it seems like a war with them would be annoying as hell

Go pick on Russia if you don't have a land border with them. Demand recognition, and then conquer Alaska as a secondary war goal. You can easily naval invade Alaska then hold it and wait out war exhaustion until they capitulate and you'll get your goals and a gold mine state! I've never seen Russia try to defend Alaska, but with 1.2 they can try to naval invade you so it isn't a total walk in the park.

Or if you see any other easy picking island colonies, you can try this. I did it against France as well with some random pacific island they took. Just save first in case they do managed to come swinging at ya.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Magissima posted:

Mass conscription allows smaller countries to punch way above their weight. Before forming Romania I was able to get Bessarabia from Russia with only slightly better troops, and all it cost me was the entire peasant population of Wallachia and most of Moldavia's. Naturally in the next war I threw the Bessarabian peasants at the Ottomans for Dobrudja and Serbia. After that I probably could've gotten by with just a professional army, but I did appreciate having conscription when I went up against a Habsburg mega-Germany for Transylvania.

Mass Conscription is something that's Straight Better than the rest of the army laws for most nations, you just get stupid amounts of Army Power Projection.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
After buying the game at launch but not really playing, I've had a really engrossing campaign the last two days playing as Peru-Bolivia. The only problem right now is that I'm running up against population issues; I ate Chile which provided momentary respite but now I'm slowly being forced to build the world's largest rail network in the most mountainous region in the world in order to slacken the labour market. It's been pretty fun so far all in all.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
Something that seems off to me: released countries seem to mirror the country they were released from, not by, law-wise. Was a liberal republic and beating Russia up to spit out the Baltic etc released a bunch of autocratic monarchies with serfdom

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Frequently the tradeoff is authority. And authority is really strong, with edicts and consumption taxes being quite nice to have. I'd argue that negative authority needs to be a lot worse than it is, because all that currently matters is the maximum authority you have ever hit at any point, and then you can just leave everything in place with minimal issue.

Speaking of which, you should be able to go negative on authority (and influence) whenever you want, just like with bureaucracy. It's kind of weird that you cant.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Albino Squirrel posted:

In addition to "no, you have use the cb", be careful to keep your relations with the US up because they like to intervene sometimes if you try this. If they do, don't bother adding any wargoals against them unless you've massively expanded your army already, because chewing through all those conscripts early on is a massive pain in the dick, but it's pretty easy to stall them while you knock out the HBC or whoever.

Don't have to worry about anyone intervening if you try the same thing with Australia or South Africa, but there's also not as much point to it- some nice minerals but nothing spectacular.

Annexing India is worth it, eventually- infinite free land for all the exotic agriculturals and endless millions of Indians to grow them- but it will tank your bureaucracy into the loving ground, so be prepared for that. And wait for it to turn into the Raj, that makes all of its puppets your puppets (which, apart from putting all those additional troops on your side, means you can push out of Baroda or wherever and not have to gently caress around with landings.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well got no migration control and freedom of conscience past so now I guess I'm just waiting for mass migrations to randomly pick me?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Scrublord Prime posted:

Go pick on Russia if you don't have a land border with them. Demand recognition, and then conquer Alaska as a secondary war goal. You can easily naval invade Alaska then hold it and wait out war exhaustion until they capitulate and you'll get your goals and a gold mine state! I've never seen Russia try to defend Alaska, but with 1.2 they can try to naval invade you so it isn't a total walk in the park.

Or if you see any other easy picking island colonies, you can try this. I did it against France as well with some random pacific island they took. Just save first in case they do managed to come swinging at ya.

France got in a hellwar with germany so i took the opportunity to invade mauritius and pondicherry which did the trick

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of which, you should be able to go negative on authority (and influence) whenever you want, just like with bureaucracy. It's kind of weird that you cant.
I just increase pay to bureaucrats, set the Authority thing that I want, then reduce pay to bureaucrats. So yes I agree with you so I don't have to click as much.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

You can't level up institutions if you don't have enough bureaucracy at the start, which is kind of annoying since you pay over time anyway.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I tried out the Phillipines on the new patch and it's kind of stupid, I can declare a war of independence and kill every single army Spain sends over to fight me, but they have a flat -200 to granting independence so they never want to accept my peace deal. Shouldn't there just be a ticking + modifier for defending my capital in these kinds of wars? It shouldn't require getting warscore from taking Spanish land or whatever.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Red Bones posted:

I tried out the Phillipines on the new patch and it's kind of stupid, I can declare a war of independence and kill every single army Spain sends over to fight me, but they have a flat -200 to granting independence so they never want to accept my peace deal. Shouldn't there just be a ticking + modifier for defending my capital in these kinds of wars? It shouldn't require getting warscore from taking Spanish land or whatever.

Can their war support go below 0? You should have a ticking modifier to their war exhaustion of 1/week because you control your capital. If you don't have any other wargoals, it might count Spain as being able to go below 0 war support. If you added other war goals, then they might not be able to go below 0 war support unless you occupy something.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

this game will not stop crashing i kicked off a semi world war in 1882 europe and it starts to chug and ends up CTD every time i boot up the save

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Can their war support go below 0? You should have a ticking modifier to their war exhaustion of 1/week because you control your capital. If you don't have any other wargoals, it might count Spain as being able to go below 0 war support. If you added other war goals, then they might not be able to go below 0 war support unless you occupy something.

I think they removed that. I know in my Gran Columbia game (which was on the beta, mind) I controlled GB's province in Guyana (my only war goal on them) and I controlled all of my land, but I was going below 0 war score, and due having a bunch of people die in the fighting against their ally Bolivia, I was going to hit 0 before them.

To be fair I did get naval invaded and died anyway before that happened, but still.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vagabong posted:

After buying the game at launch but not really playing, I've had a really engrossing campaign the last two days playing as Peru-Bolivia. The only problem right now is that I'm running up against population issues; I ate Chile which provided momentary respite but now I'm slowly being forced to build the world's largest rail network in the most mountainous region in the world in order to slacken the labour market. It's been pretty fun so far all in all.

It's also worth noting that slavery is a great way to get extra pops before you've reformed enough to get a good amount of immigration, slaves will automatically be imported from other countries

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

RabidWeasel posted:

It's also worth noting that slavery is a great way to get extra pops before you've reformed enough to get a good amount of immigration, slaves will automatically be imported from other countries

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Victoria 3: It's worth noting that slavery is a great way to get extra pops

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh this is a Vicky alright, I have no idea what's going on

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

toasterwarrior posted:

Have you tried making line go up?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Have you tried making line go up?

Currently the only line going up is the number of radicals I have.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

toasterwarrior posted:

This is what I do when I start a game:

1. Check and make sure I'm not doing something dumb like bolstering the Landed Gentry (looking at you, Tsar Nicholas I)

2. Spend all my authority doing the consumption taxes that will give me the most money per point of authority (do wish this was less of a faff to work out - the screen just orders by revenue and doesn't care that one tax costs 500 authority and another costs 100)

3. Divide my budget surplus by the running cost of a construction building - this gives me a rough estimate of how many construction buildings I can run without going into debt

4. Pick the eight provinces with the most available workers (unemployed plus peasants) and build my construction buildings there (the idea here is I'm going to specialise each of these provinces into a single trade good, like tools, paper, glass, clothes, or furniture, so by putting the construction yards in these provinces I get a small construction bonus when I end up queueing up 30 furniture factories)

5. Build enough universities to hit the innovation cap imposed by my country's literacy

6. Spend the rest of the game building whatever building will produce the good whose price is the most above the base price

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gort posted:

This is what I do when I start a game:

1. Check and make sure I'm not doing something dumb like bolstering the Landed Gentry (looking at you, Tsar Nicholas I)

2. Spend all my authority doing the consumption taxes that will give me the most money per point of authority (do wish this was less of a faff to work out - the screen just orders by revenue and doesn't care that one tax costs 500 authority and another costs 100)

3. Divide my budget surplus by the running cost of a construction building - this gives me a rough estimate of how many construction buildings I can run without going into debt

4. Pick the eight provinces with the most available workers (unemployed plus peasants) and build my construction buildings there (the idea here is I'm going to specialise each of these provinces into a single trade good, like tools, paper, glass, clothes, or furniture, so by putting the construction yards in these provinces I get a small construction bonus when I end up queueing up 30 furniture factories)

5. Build enough universities to hit the innovation cap imposed by my country's literacy

6. Spend the rest of the game building whatever building will produce the good whose price is the most above the base price

A good post.

Also: having a lot of fun with 1.2 so far. The bits of autonomous construction helps making your country feel like it’s pops are alive, and you’re sort of driving the train while the idiots party at the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kris xK posted:

Currently the only line going up is the number of radicals I have.

they're mostly mad about the standard of living - you can increase SOL by increasing wages (building things that turn peasants into factory workers and whatnot) or making staple goods cheaper

having a slightly above average price for grain is good for farmers, and bad for everyone who eats grain. let the farmers be impoverished and let the people be fed on cheap food, wear cheap clothes, etc.