Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Is Blizzard still a wildly unethical company? Want to know if it's ok to get Diablo IV, or if I should wait.

In the year of our lord 2023, NEVER preorder a game and only buy online games at least 1-2 weeks after release. This’ll give you time to gauge consensus and give the company time to quintuple their server availability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I mean who are the good video game companies at this point? The only one I can think of is maybe respawn. I hear nothing but horror stories about game companies

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Field Mousepad posted:

I mean who are the good video game companies at this point? The only one I can think of is maybe respawn. I hear nothing but horror stories about game companies

Respawn is just EA though.

The video game industry is extreme capitalism and has all of the problems that come with that, but there are also a lot of indie, small, and single person studios out there you can feel good or at least less bad about supporting financially.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There is basically no ethically sound AAA studio, they're all morally compromised to some degree, it's just a question of how much. Like bottom said, you're basically limited to the indie/small dev companies if you want to avoid the worst of capitalism.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Field Mousepad posted:

If you're talking about publicly traded companies, it's all about shareholder value. On the other hand it's also about not paying millions for being stupid like Blizzard did. That reduced their earnings for at least two quarters, and led to the Microsoft offer to buy them. Now is Microsoft any better? Don't know but they (and most truly tech companies) aren't at all interested in the bad press and unpredictable payouts.

The indy companies don't have the shareholder value issues, but they draw from the general population and as we (at least in the US) know, there's a lot of stupid talk about wokeism out there. It feels like indy companies are way more likely to put up with that poo poo (think Mojang/Minecraft and Factorio) than a publicly traded company would put up (you'd lose your job for the poo poo those other guys said).

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There's Embracer Group, taking the Disney strategy of "attempting to own everything" but the worst thing I can think of about them is that the Saudi govt invested in them. They own THQ Nordic, Coffee Stain Studios, Gearbox, Dark Horse Media, etc.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

wemgo posted:

In the year of our lord 2023, NEVER preorder a game and only buy online games at least 1-2 weeks after release. This’ll give you time to gauge consensus and give the company time to quintuple their server availability.

I'll just wait until the library gets it, probably.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

I'll just wait until the library gets it, probably.

This is how I am playing Elden Ring, one week at a time, along with like four other people in my county, sharing the three copies that the library has. It's not so bad! Check your local library, folks.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

becoming posted:

This is how I am playing Elden Ring, one week at a time, along with like four other people in my county, sharing the three copies that the library has. It's not so bad! Check your local library, folks.

This is how my son plays Pokemon games. Also 60 free Nintendo points.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I just did my first public group bounty and I would 100% recommend. It's crazy how fast it goes.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I’m dipping my toes into HC, but since I’ve already done the season in SC I don’t get a haedrig boost. I made it past 200 paragon and am running a sort of janky LoD corpse explosion build from stuff I’ve cobbled together. I’m at a weird place where my damage is fine but I feel paper thin. Did a GR 43 and went from full to triggering my death save a couple of times, and tried a T9 rift and found that my CE wasn’t 1-making GBS threads things anymore.

It’s interesting, but I’m not sure how to efficiently increase my power/survivability. Blood shards and mats are super slow in trickling in when you’re only humming along at like T7.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
my muscle memory is all hosed up trying to play dreadlands dh on pc after solely playing on switch for so long. boosted my mate to get his gift monk set but he hit a wall on the gr20 and we're gonna pick it up again on friday. are there any key legendaries he should beeline for to make the 4 piece more viable or is it just one of those builds where it doesnt really do anything at all until you get the full set?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Most sets only have a minor basic attack and defense buff with four pieces but depending on what legendaries you get you can push rifts without it being too crazy. 6 piece is when it goes into easy mode.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Looks like PoJ is one of those sets that needs 6 piece bonus or nothing. Maxroll has an example monk that should do gr20. If you have the challenge rift cache can make a level 1 monk and go for crudest boots (it's the only legendary boot) and try upgrading a daibo which even a crappy one gives you a legendary weapon. I would also reroll the yellows you are wearing to give better stats, a few correct +skill rolls and element damage is a huge damage boost

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

You also might be able to get away with a crafted set if they've found any yet.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Well I'm an idiot.

I was running bounties today, and a primal dropped. I was excited. But it only showed one. So I thought maybe when you pick it up it gives you the extra one or because they dropped it the same time they were stacked whatever. So I click through go back to town. Check my stuff just one primal. Go back to act one. Check the altar. Everything's unlocked. Check it again. Everything is not unlocked. You have to click to unlock the very last thing. It doesn't do it automatically. I don't know why I thought it did it automatically. So I screwed myself out of one primal.

Jows
May 8, 2002

It's okay. You would've just dusted that primal naglering anyway

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

The one I got was a mace with no legendary effect, so I find your statement accurate.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
RIP to your unborn primal echoing fury.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Grifter posted:

I just did my first public group bounty and I would 100% recommend. It's crazy how fast it goes.

I've only played a few scattered seasons, but I too suggest always joining pubs for bounties and rift keys. The amount of time saved and the acceleration of resource gathering is simply worth it.

RNGesus has granted upon me enough attention to upgrade the rest of my PoJ Monk gear to all be ancient and drop some trash primals so I could burn them to ash in honor of the second potion god node. Dunno how long it'll be for me to gather three more primals, but at least I'm now able to do GR100s in 4-5.5 minutes and get 2-3 paragon per run. It's not the 2-3 minutes suggested earlier, but it's jamming me full of stats and gem levels well enough for now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes it's a lot more fun to chunk monsters down in like 3-4min at GR115 rather than lawnmower everything in under 2min at GR90, even though it's strictly fewer drops/hr.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
We've said 90 seconds to ~2 minutes is the sweet spot but really anything under 5 minutes, especially when you're still setting up your character is evergreen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes it's a lot more fun to chunk monsters down in like 3-4min at GR115 rather than lawnmower everything in under 2min at GR90, even though it's strictly fewer drops/hr.

3 mins is indeed more efficient for XP farming anyways (which is honestly more important than farming gear long term). Speed run early to get your pieces, then XP grind to like 2-3k paragon, then 150 should be doable.

So if you like to actually play and not just mindlessly run as fast as possible you’re not losing out on anything.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

RodShaft posted:

Well I'm an idiot.

I was running bounties today, and a primal dropped. I was excited. But it only showed one. So I thought maybe when you pick it up it gives you the extra one or because they dropped it the same time they were stacked whatever. So I click through go back to town. Check my stuff just one primal. Go back to act one. Check the altar. Everything's unlocked. Check it again. Everything is not unlocked. You have to click to unlock the very last thing. It doesn't do it automatically. I don't know why I thought it did it automatically. So I screwed myself out of one primal.

I did the same thing

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Russad posted:

I’m dipping my toes into HC, but since I’ve already done the season in SC I don’t get a haedrig boost. I made it past 200 paragon and am running a sort of janky LoD corpse explosion build from stuff I’ve cobbled together. I’m at a weird place where my damage is fine but I feel paper thin. Did a GR 43 and went from full to triggering my death save a couple of times, and tried a T9 rift and found that my CE wasn’t 1-making GBS threads things anymore.

It’s interesting, but I’m not sure how to efficiently increase my power/survivability. Blood shards and mats are super slow in trickling in when you’re only humming along at like T7.

It sounds like you're the exact use-case for the guardians set. If you haven't unlocked it or the RORG yet, and it can fit with your build I would definitely suggest running bounties and getting it done. I just got to 1K Paragon with most of my legendary set pieces ancient, 2 augments and Aughilds is only just starting to pip Guardians for me.

Also I cleared my first GR125 last night on the Tal Rasha wiz. Have paused on the altar because my gf and I were doing it together and she's been working too much, but I've gotten most of the QoL and +damage seals now. Gonna be lit when I get the mitigation stuff on top, but a fairly well rolled karini is carrying me well thus far.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I’m not sure if that would help, using the guardian set would mean I lose the LoD bonus, and I don’t really have a feel for what percentage of my damage output is specifically that.

Edit: I can give it a try once I have some backup gear and don’t mind the death risk to experiment.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You are doing something extremely wrong if you have the LOD bonus and aren't on T16. Just take like, any 2 legendaries that buff the same skill and you should be breezing through.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't need to run Set Dungeons for the pages, right?

Just need to equip the set and have the 6-piece bonus (so I can just do 5 pieces + RoRG), yeah?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't need to run Set Dungeons for the pages, right?

Just need to equip the set and have the 6-piece bonus (so I can just do 5 pieces + RoRG), yeah?

This is correct. You need to have the six-piece bonus active and then interact with the Tome of Set Dungeons. As a reminder, it must be the four sets that actually have set dungeons for each class, which means the new sets (for you, Patterns of Justice) will not work. RoRG works. Uliana, Sunwuko, Inna, Raiment.

bamhand posted:

You are doing something extremely wrong if you have the LOD bonus and aren't on T16. Just take like, any 2 legendaries that buff the same skill and you should be breezing through.

They are on Hardcore and stated that toughness is the concern. Glass cannon. Russad, I know this goes without saying, but make sure you're running your follower cheat death as well, at least while you're getting geared up. If you don't have Dayntee's Binding, make farming that up a priority.

becoming fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 16, 2023

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guess I better stop salvaging all my non-Ancient Monk Set items then.

EDIT: Is there any build that uses Aqualias Curias I got a Primal one but my PoJ Monk doesn't use it so I've been contemplating salvaging it. I guess maybe Vault Dagger DH?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's legit pretty good with almost any class. I wear one or have it in the cube pretty often, it's great until you get a super class specific damage reduction item

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
The majority of LOD builds will use one to push with, no matter what class (and I put up a pretty nice clear with a Dex one on a necro trash killer in 4p a few months back).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I reroll the strength on this to area damage for frenzy barb right

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

1. Damage Range
2. Socket Ramaladni's Gift
3. Cooldown Reduction
4. Attack Speed %
5. Life per Hit
6. Strength
7. Elite Damage %
8. Damage %

Area Damage only on shoulders

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

damage% being so low is weird

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Damage % isn't great in dual wield builds since it only applies to 1 of your weapons at once, so usually cooldown/area/elite damage rank ahead of it. Frenzy doesn't prioritize area damage because it gets its AOE from Battle Rage-Bloodshed and that doesn't proc AD.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Frenzy has a few specific breakpoints you want to hit with IAS and Life on Hit helps you not instantly own yourself on Reflect Damage + Electrified elites.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Field Mousepad posted:

It's legit pretty good with almost any class. I wear one or have it in the cube pretty often, it's great until you get a super class specific damage reduction item

Kay kay, I'll keep it around for now then, not like the other 2 potion powers are really necessary and there's always the Manticore trick anyways.

If I'm gated by a lack of Ancient / Primals, is my current best bet to just run bounties so I can keep crafting Captain Crimsons until I get Primal ones?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

If I'm gated by a lack of Ancient / Primals, is my current best bet to just run bounties so I can keep crafting Captain Crimsons until I get Primal ones?

Holy poo poo, no. If you need crafted gear, craft till you get ancients with the right rolls. The odds of a crafted primal with the exact set of rolls you want are not very good at all and the upside to a primal in Crimson's item slots is much, much less than the XP you could have farmed in GRs if you just took a good ancient roll and started blasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Kay kay, I'll keep it around for now then, not like the other 2 potion powers are really necessary and there's always the Manticore trick anyways.

Farm up a bunch of Greater Rift Keystones. Run the highest GR you can reliably complete in 90-180 seconds, ideally GR90+ but if you've gotta do GR85 then do that. Run three right in a row, then clear out (identify, swap in improvements, salvage, gamble at Kadala, salvage). Repeat. I'm generally doing about 20-25 GRs/hour, resulting in about 300 dropped legendaries and around 40 paragon levels.

I've found that it helps to have a follower kitted specifically for Nephalem Rifts when I'm farming keys. I will always have at least two followers kitted (one for GRs, one for T16) and sometimes three. After the initial setup, swapping takes less than a second. Having all the extra Death's Breath, GR keys, and gold from a well-equipped T16 follower really does pay off, in my opinion.

Take a look at Maxroll builds for key farming for your Monk, if you haven't already. Putting together a proper Nephalem Rift kit with an emphasis on speed over raw damage and defense will greatly increase the number of keys you get per hour, which will mean more time farming on GRs, which means more paragon and legendaries of all types. My friends steadfastly refuse to put together proper NR loadouts and so they spend three times as long as I do farming keys. Who's got time for that?