Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gonna try an enras technique hammer throw paladin, use that to farm up those smite on hit relics and do a smite hammer throw paladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well fun little bug that showed up after this patch:

My corpse explosion Mana regen goes into the negative if I'm -1. So instead of restore 30 mana on explosion, it actually increases it to -31 completely killing this build.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Does anyone know of good ways to help a mana-hungry Paladin? I'm having fun with Hand of Judgement, but even going slightly into the top-right of the tree is leaving me out of mana on a regular basis. I'm already using Rive and Rebuke with their mana assistance nodes, and "more mana regen" isn't the answer, because I can still run out with a Water Shrine active.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Noper Q posted:

Does anyone know of good ways to help a mana-hungry Paladin? I'm having fun with Hand of Judgement, but even going slightly into the top-right of the tree is leaving me out of mana on a regular basis. I'm already using Rive and Rebuke with their mana assistance nodes, and "more mana regen" isn't the answer, because I can still run out with a Water Shrine active.

The void knight skill Volatile Reversal can help with mana sustain—it’s a time travel fuckery ability that resets your position, health, and mana to where they were X seconds ago, so you can dump your mana pool quickly and then jump backward to when you had a full pool

e: because this is something the game doesn’t make clear: even as, say, paladin, you can still put points in the first half of the other 2 mastery trees and unlock up to their first 2 mastery skills. Volatile Reversal only takes 5 points into the VK tree

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I considered that, but Volatile Reversal has a pretty long cooldown, so I don't think it'll help with long-term sustain like in boss fights.

Edit: I didn't look too closely at its tree, though, and it has a few cooldown reduction nodes that might help. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 15, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Magus42 posted:

Yeah; unlike in PoE where 25% under cap means taking 2x damage, LE is much more forgiving about not being capped.

The way it works actually makes resistance less valuable the higher level you are. IE: At map level 0, getting 75% resistance reduces your damage taken by 75%, as in you take 1/4 of the total damage. At map level 75, getting 75% resistance reduces the damage you take by ~43%, as in you take 57% damage of the total damage. At map level 100, the difference between having 0 resistance and max resistance is only 37.5% total damage reduction.

Edit: I mean, you take more much damage overall from higher level enemies, but the value of resistance compared to other defensive stats plummets.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tried hammerdin, meh. Tried glacial sorc, meh. Next try was multishot marksman! Found a build which says you can autocast MS with a channeled flurry. Flurry uses mana while channeling, but with sap it generates mana from hits. Nice.

https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/build-guides/multishot-marksman-guide/skills-passives#skills-fc4f5f92-0c92-4d31-8aac-5a2806117452

Feel like a mobile machine gun now. Spray&pray :blastu:

Edit: also just found a chest piece which increases damage 10% by arrow of multishot. Seems it applies to flurry too.. so 90% increased damage since MS has 9 arrows, nice.

Does MS shotgun? Probably not..?
Edit2: giant slayer makes it shotgun. Each arrow makes only 20% of dmg, but with 9 arrows it's 180% of dmg if all arrows hit the same target...

Edit3: OH and it ALSO throws 5 free shurikens while using the movement skill, also I'm immune while using the movement skill!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 15, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
bought this yesterday, how rare is rune of creation?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm level 75-ish and I've gotten 1, ever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it seems like a mirror level item but i got one in the first 30 minutes or so of playing lmao

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Clarste posted:

I'm level 75-ish and I've gotten 1, ever.

That's one more than I've found and I've got 4 characters to 70+ between singleplayer & multiplayer, and than a handful of 50+'s

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I found two within 15 minutes of each other a couple days ago. I think I was running level 90 monoliths at the time.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
How are people doing monoliths before the high 50's? I see references to using them to level by people on Reddit but I went in to a level 58 one at 50ish and got wrecked. Are some builds just that much more powerful?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Lol have the same skelly bug mentioned elsewhere. Skill node that restores 5/10/15 mana on skelly death appears to be tied to absolute value cause if your mana is negative it instead lowers it.

Not impossible to deal with but lol.

Edit: I actually think I might have been just misreading some other auto-cast abilities as sacrifice mana. Whoops everything's fine.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 16, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bobtheconqueror posted:

Lol have the same skelly bug mentioned elsewhere. Skill node that restores 5/10/15 mana on skelly death appears to be tied to absolute value cause if your mana is negative it instead lowers it.

That's... baffling.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

PraxxisParadoX posted:

How are people doing monoliths before the high 50's? I see references to using them to level by people on Reddit but I went in to a level 58 one at 50ish and got wrecked. Are some builds just that much more powerful?

Yep, some builds are really strong while leveling and others aren’t. Plus getting specific uniques for your build can make a huge difference.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

PraxxisParadoX posted:

I got squashed going into one at lvl 40 at first, then I learned how the crafting system works and made my items actually good and then I could do it fine if I was careful

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

bobtheconqueror posted:

How do you get negative mana in the first place?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Magus42 posted:

Yeah; unlike in PoE where 25% under cap means taking 2x damage, LE is much more forgiving about not being capped.

Would it not work exactly the same way? 75% res takes 25% damage, 50% res takes 50% (a 2x increase over cap)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Oldstench posted:

How do you get negative mana in the first place?

The game lets you use a skill even if you don't have enough mana for it, but it puts you in the negative

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Would it not work exactly the same way? 75% res takes 25% damage, 50% res takes 50% (a 2x increase over cap)

Rather than a penalty to resistances, enemies get penetration equal to the level zone (I think capped at 75?) So in PoE having no resistance means an attack will do 4x as much damage, while in LE it does only 75% more

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Rather than a penalty to resistances, enemies get penetration equal to the level zone (I think capped at 75?) So in PoE having no resistance means an attack will do 4x as much damage, while in LE it does only 75% more
Can't resistance penetration make it go negative?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Skyl3lazer posted:

Nope! Since enemies penetrate your resists based on level, capped at 75, having max res actually just means your res ends up 0%, because you have 75% and they penetrate 75%.

So if an enemy attack has base damage of 100, in PoE you'd take 25 at 75% resist, but in LE you'd take 100.

If you were 25% below the cap in each game, in PoE you'd take 50, which is 2x as much, while in LE you'll take 125, which is only 1.25x as much.

At 0%, PoE would take the full 100, 4x as much damage as you're expected to take, while LE only gets to 175, 1.75x as much as you're expected to take.

Still an increase, but nothing like PoE

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

StashAugustine posted:

quote:

Resistances
If you have 10% physical resistance, you will take 10% less physical damage. Resistances cap at 75%, so having a resistance value of greater than 75% will not directly reduce the damage you take. Resistances can be reduced to negative numbers, with each 1% of negative resistance increasing damage taken of that type by 1%.

Having greater than 75% uncapped resistance protects against the Resistance Shred and Shock ailments. A stack of Shock reduces your lightning resistance by 2%, so if you had 75% lightning resistance it would be reduced to 73%. If you had 77% lightning resistance, your final lightning resistance would still be 75%.

Penetration applies after your resistances are capped to 75%.

Penetration subtracts from resistances, causing a source of damage to deal more damage.

Penetration applies after resistances are capped to 75%, and can reduce resistances to negative values. For example, 30% lightning penetration against 20% lightning resistance will result in -10% lightning resistance.

All enemies gain 1% of penetration per area level, up to a maximum of 75%. Players with less than 75% of each resistance at area level 75 and beyond will take increased damage due to having negative resistance values.

That's an interesting way to do it. The math for anyone else who doesn't understand:

In a level "0" zone, enemies get 0 pen

If I have 75 resist, then a 100 damage hit will deal (1-(.75-0))*100 = 25 damage after pen
If I have 50 resist, then a 100 damage hit will deal (1-(.50-0))*100 = 50 damage after pen
If I have 0 resist, then a 100 damage hit will deal (1-(0-0)*100 = 100 damage after pen

In a 75+ zone, enemies get 75 pen

If I have 75 resist, then a 100 damage hit will deal (1-(.75-.75))*100 = 100 damage after pen
If I have 50 resist, then a 100 damage hit will deal (1-(.50-.75))*100 = 125 damage after pen
If I have 0 resist, then a 100 damage hit will deal (1-(0-.75)*100 = 175 damage after pen

So capping your resists actually becomes less important as you level in zones between 1 and 75, which is kind of funny. That said, at endgame you're right it's far less punishing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Monoliths are fun but I'm not going to lie I miss how much high-end loot D3 showered you with at the end of high-level greater rifts. Do higher-level monoliths start to give much higher chances of uniques/set items/purple items when you get there? It'd be something nice to have something look forward to.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pierson posted:

Monoliths are fun but I'm not going to lie I miss how much high-end loot D3 showered you with at the end of high-level greater rifts. Do higher-level monoliths start to give much higher chances of uniques/set items/purple items when you get there? It'd be something nice to have something look forward to.

Yeah empowered monoliths have much larger and varied rewards

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The most insane lootspolosions are in the dungeons, if you haven’t started using your keys

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zereth posted:

Can't resistance penetration make it go negative?

It can yeah, but essentially if you have 0 resist an attack will do 175% damage instead of 100%. Whereas in most other ARPGs, it would do 400% more damage

Skyl3lazer posted:

So capping your resists actually becomes less important as you level in zones between 1 and 75, which is kind of funny. That said, at endgame you're right it's far less punishing.

Technically yeah but actually capping your resists at level 1 seems basically impossible. I think the appropriate rule of thumb is have resists roughly equal to the zone level

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hoping it goes on sale tomorrow, if not I'll buy it anyway, seems good and something I would like.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Respecced my sorc from glacier to fireball and meteor and I’ve gotta say:

Hahaha fireball go boom boom boom

Just machine gunning fireballs everywhere (that will be homing soon) and laughing as mobs try to get close and fail, burning before my might.

Might spec over to the nova build I saw a streamer shred with at some point, it also looked rad.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Hoping it goes on sale tomorrow, if not I'll buy it anyway, seems good and something I would like.

They're not doing any more sales until the game is out of early access. The final early access sale was last summer
https://steamcommunity.com/games/899770/announcements/detail/3329864090475743588

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A Real Horse posted:

Respecced my sorc from glacier to fireball and meteor and I’ve gotta say:

Hahaha fireball go boom boom boom

Just machine gunning fireballs everywhere (that will be homing soon) and laughing as mobs try to get close and fail, burning before my might.

Might spec over to the nova build I saw a streamer shred with at some point, it also looked rad.

I just love his, "Fools. Fools!" voice line as you rain down fiery death

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Been playing this for the last few days. Started off with a Forge Knight not reading the skills closely enough. I saw "shield throw" and didn't realize it was going to rely on a minion to bounce it off of. Cool in concept, but that minion is stupid as gently caress and the AoE from hitting him just wasn't big enough. Tried speccing in to a Shield Dash type build and that one was cool but it's a movement skill and I guess they're kind of bugged right now? It keeps getting stuck in the animation and leaving me open to eating big telegraphs at the wrong moment. Ah well!

Rerolled as a Sorc - Just got the mastery class unlocked this morning, leveling with Glacier which seemed like the recommended way to go. Not sure what direction I'll take it - I like the Nova build but most of the words I've read about it say you want the unique that makes it cast at your cursor rather than point blank. Fireball seems cool and I like lightning so I'm sure I'll be able to find something that works. Looks like glacier is v strong forever but I kind of want to make use of the cheap respecs and try some other stuff once I get another 40 levels or whatever.

Do I have to finish the campaign on this second character? Assuming I get all the passive and idol slots from quests and i can handle jumping in to maps, is that an ok thing to do?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Character progress isn't shared at all. What is shared is stash space, so you can get keys and gear to alts so they can level with non-campaign content more easily.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MerrMan posted:

Do I have to finish the campaign on this second character? Assuming I get all the passive and idol slots from quests and i can handle jumping in to maps, is that an ok thing to do?

Nope, you should have that after killing the tree in Heoborea, which is usually when I start mapping.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
Unlocked empowered timelines with my cryominion necro at about 83 and having a lot of fun. I had a really dumb moment where I ran multiple +dmg and +crit monoliths before trying one of the 90 bosses and was baffled why I kept getting 1-shot...oops! In some sense it's good that you lose stability and have to run more monos between tries because this helped me realize my mistake.

Funny you mention Shield Throw, I decided to try this for my second char up, having not done it in...a year and a half? Last time I used it, it was totally busted and super overpowered. Then they nerfed it into oblivion...I guess it's back! I found this build and it's been going really well (level 60 so far, leveled to 50 or so using Javelin with Holy Trail). Manifest Armor AoE isn't that large but you're supposed to stand in the middle of a bunch of mobs (I dash in, then press A to get the pet in the mix) and just mash that shield throw button - almost the entire passive tree are defense nodes and you heal on the smite procs so you're incredibly tanky. The physical damage + applied bleed from shield throw should clean up packs of trash pretty easily, and spamming shield throw bounces between the pet and a boss is incredibly effective for single target. I'm honestly kind of surprised these smite proc on hit idols are still in the game since damage + healing, on hit, on a skill you can specialize is insanely strong for a ton of builds. The equivalent for my acolyte would be, like, rip blood on hit...which would be sick! Maybe I should see how much the acolyte fear on hit procs can be abused...

Edit: also ran into the new Lagon bug, where you fight him and win but he doesn't give you the portal. Seems to be happening a lot - you can work around it by going to Soreth'ka after beating him!

King Cocoa Butter fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 15, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
What's the best LE one-button or no-button build?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

MerrMan posted:

I like the Nova build but most of the words I've read about it say you want the unique that makes it cast at your cursor rather than point blank.

If it helps you decide, the streamer I was watching last night wasn’t using that unique and was having zero problems clearing tier 3 dungeons.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Somewhat in the weeds question but I'm playing shadow daggers rogue and I see this body armor recommended: https://www.lastepochtools.com/db/items/UAzBsEYFYGYg

From what I can tell the 20% less damage taken while moving is the only useful stat for my build (I do only physical damage and I already have haste up). Am I missing something here because if that's it I'll probably just try to craft a good chest rather than farm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Papercut posted:

What's the best LE one-button or no-button build?

This one took me easily to level 90 and empowered, corrupted monoliths in 8.5. Not sure how much if anything in the latest patch may have changed it. Can easily be played with nothing but the left mouse button running Warpath.

E: https://www.lastepochtools.com/build-guides/the-blender-2-0