Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

VostokProgram posted:

What's the coolest game you've ever played that was made by one person

northern journey. close the thread now. no more posts after this one,. i'm warning you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Snare on the C64

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Iji

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't know who makes any games I play

Was Hollow Knight one person?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe it was four, three devs and the composer

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

There might be better solo games but Obra Dinn is definitely the coolest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every game I play is made by me because I “make my own fun.”

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

VostokProgram posted:

Coming Out On Top by Obscurasoft

She made a gay dating sim about coming out on college when I was in college then she just disappeared

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

What's the definition of "one person" here -- a game completely coded, composed, and drawn by one person, or is the singular vision of one person but had a little help from others

Because Undertale would be the latter because while its completely Toby Fox's vision, a few other people contributed sprites at the least

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's only a one person game if literally no one else did anything on it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A lot of one-person games also have publishers which are presumably staffed by more than that one person

I think it counts if one person made the core design and most of the assets, they don't have to make literally every byte themselves

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Starsector afaik is a one-person game, but I'm not sure about the audio or artwork

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Saw 8 old D&D games are getting re-released this month (four in the Silver Box Classics, and four more as separate releases)

Funny enough, two of the games I had never heard of before, and I thought I was an OLD grognard (a Neanthanard?): DeathKeep and Shadow Sorcerer

But I will be purchasing the Classics set (because Heroes of the Lance was the first "grand strategy/war board game" I ever played) and Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace day one, if only in a fleeting effort to feel 30+ years younger...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i hope you have fun and i dont really give a poo poo who knows

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

One person adjacent.

Coolest tech demo?

.kkrieger
A game that takes up 96kb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB0

This link still works
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/kkrieger-chapter-1-cl1#download

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

yeah this!!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Starsector afaik is a one-person game, but I'm not sure about the audio or artwork

There's at least one other person working on Starsector, they've posted on the blog.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the only game i can think of that was made by one person that ive played is Stardew Valley and hey that one is pretty good

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mine would be Well of Souls. It's an ancient - like, pre-Everquest, Telnet is an option for connecting to servers, that old - MMO, or more accurately an MMO creation engine. In terms of gameplay, it's simplistic, sure, even kind of janky, but it handed players the tools to make their own worlds within that engine. Well of Souls was my life when I was about 12, and I still keep it installed to go back to it every so often. There was actually a small community reunion a couple of weeks ago.

It's not strictly one developer, in that early on a mysterious benefactor artist gave the guy a ton of art assets and an indefinite license to them for free then vanished never to be heard from again, and the programmer's then-very young son scribbled out a couple of enemies in MS Paint. But all one programmer.

Here's a video essay about it that came out a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVUAmK6lYdc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dabir posted:

Mine would be Well of Souls. It's an ancient - like, pre-Everquest, Telnet is an option for connecting to servers, that old - MMO, or more accurately an MMO creation engine. In terms of gameplay, it's simplistic, sure, even kind of janky, but it handed players the tools to make their own worlds within that engine. Well of Souls was my life when I was about 12, and I still keep it installed to go back to it every so often. There was actually a small community reunion a couple of weeks ago.

It's not strictly one developer, in that early on a mysterious benefactor artist gave the guy a ton of art assets and an indefinite license to them for free then vanished never to be heard from again, and the programmer's then-very young son scribbled out a couple of enemies in MS Paint. But all one programmer.

Here's a video essay about it that came out a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVUAmK6lYdc

i was thinking about this exact game a couple months back and could not remember the name for the life of me. sunk a truly staggering amount of hours into it when i was younger. what a goddamn blast from the past

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1636045412636434432

Oops uh oh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool RR Type-4 is the best racing game ever made.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sonic The Hedgehog made by Yuji Naka, or Sonic The Hedgehog 2 made by Tommy Tallarico.

lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

VostokProgram posted:

Spelunky

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

VostokProgram posted:

Cruelty Squad

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys today has sucked, the ides of march can go to hell

my back hurts, work sucks, i have to fill out my timesheet early, i found a hole in my snuggie, woke up early to try and get a fanfest ticket and did not get one, the low tire pressure light is on in my car, AND i missed vg streaming more okami yesterday apparently

i'm just going to listen to The Death That I Deservioli on loop for the rest of the day. may the spirit of peppino give me strength

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Uh I don't think Hogwarts is going tp get dethroned until Tears of the Kingdom. Just my opinion of course.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
In sales? Probably not

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's hard to imagine a world where anything dethrones it on PC, honestly, unless disney somehow magics up the greatest star wars game ever made

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do people still talk about it? Feel like I haven’t heard anything about it good or bad. resetera blanks it out in their sales chart threads which I think is pretty funny

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

Do people still talk about it? Feel like I haven’t heard anything about it good or bad. resetera blanks it out in their sales chart threads which I think is pretty funny

it sold a gazillion copies and people are still playing it, it's above ER on steamcharts at least

not really much to talk about once the fracas had past, really. it's a pretty unexceptional game as far as the actual game part goes, and everyone's already said their piece by now, so you're either talking about the gameplay with other enthusiasts or you're moving on to other things

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

we're going to have to hear about that crap at least until the PS4 version is in the rearview mirror

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Stardew Valley

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it cracked the top ten for player peak records but more importantly what the gently caress is Goose Goose Duck

edit: oh i guess it's where all the amongus players hopped ship to

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 15, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

it cracked the top ten for player peak records but more importantly what the gently caress is Goose Goose Duck

it's amogus with ducks and it somehow had that peak concurrent players in loving 2021

i have to assume it was the pet project of some influencer because i cannot understand how an amogus clone in 2021 can get 700k peak concurrent

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is amogus over?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someone explain why counterstrike is still so so so so so popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK