Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

*six months from now*

technically, this is NOT a Great Depression. using "Depression" so carelessly empowers populist rage. 1/32

hmm this was in the year 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
waking up late west coast time is really screwing me out of the fun

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Shear Modulus posted:

gently caress it, bail out the crime bank

but you repeat yourself

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is there any word on how all the spank banks are doing?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Seems fine. I put a deposit in your mom last night.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
vix on +20.69%

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
making daylight saving permanent would be good for the markets

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Der Meister posted:

this says over 90% of SVB’s depositors had over 250k?????? what?????

...yes? It was a bank used by a ton of SV investors and companies.

Paradoxish posted:

There was a reason that senators were talking about a bailout within hours of things kicking off. People should honestly be livid at the government response here.

Bank failures are common. The reason you don't hear about them is because the government has mechanisms in place to deal with them, and does so fairly quietly after hours and overnight, and by the following morning the problem has been resolved. The reason this one became a problem is because of timing: it happened way faster than people thought, and it happened in the middle of the day on a Friday. That's the real reason senators were talking about it within hours of it happening. Everyone recognized the risk it posed to the entire system, especially since SVB was both large and fairly prominent, despite being a regional bank.

I'm certainly annoyed that the bank management made lovely decisions and then a bunch of tech bros basically scared each other into committing a bank run that screwed each other (and everyone else) over and had to be rescued from the mess. Livid at the government response, though? Lmfao, no. On the contrary, the government acted competently and on very short notice to prevent what would definitely have turned into a major economic depression. It acted as a safety net for depositors (good) while allowing investors to lose everything (great) and making sure management doesn't get off the hook (fantastic). Maybe that's bad news for people in this thread who constantly scream for blood, but it's good news for literally everyone else.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anime was right posted:

waking up late west coast time is really screwing me out of the fun

It really is. I wake up and theres already 200 posts and im like sigh - scroll through all the old news / tweets etc till I can get current but its too late to make fun of anything/participate

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

They're up and down

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Bloomberg now running with credit suisse is very strong and stable, but is a little bit of a bad boy with some problems. Sure it used to be very intregal to the banking system, but no longer. If, which the bank will not, it failed there would be no systemic risk.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

Bank failures are common. The reason you don't hear about them is because the government has mechanisms in place to deal with them, and does so fairly quietly after hours and overnight, and by the following morning the problem has been resolved. The reason this one became a problem is because of timing: it happened way faster than people thought, and it happened in the middle of the day on a Friday. That's the real reason senators were talking about it within hours of it happening. Everyone recognized the risk it posed to the entire system, especially since SVB was both large and fairly prominent, despite being a regional bank.

I'm certainly annoyed that the bank management made lovely decisions and then a bunch of tech bros basically scared each other into committing a bank run that screwed themselves over and had to be rescued from the mess. Livid at the government response, though? Lmfao, no. On the contrary, the government acted competently and on very short notice to prevent what would definitely have turned into a major economic depression. It acted as a safety net for depositors (good) while allowing investors to lose everything (great) and making sure management doesn't get off the hook (fantastic). Maybe that's bad news for people in this thread who constantly scream for blood, but it's good news for literally everyone else.

thanks for the word for word response from the administration that the news is blaring out

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Slow News Day posted:

I'm certainly annoyed that the bank management made lovely decisions and then a bunch of tech bros basically scared each other into committing a bank run that screwed each other (and everyone else) over and had to be rescued from the mess. Livid at the government response, though? Lmfao, no. On the contrary, the government acted competently and on very short notice to prevent what would definitely have turned into a major economic depression. It acted as a safety net for depositors (good) while allowing investors to lose everything (great) and making sure management doesn't get off the hook (fantastic). Maybe that's bad news for people in this thread who constantly scream for blood, but it's good news for literally everyone else.

have you considered as long as this system continues theres no future for the human race

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they bailed out the parasites as usual and now have it clear theres no consequences a totally good response

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

thanks for the word for word response from the administration that the news is blaring out

Don't worry, there will be another crisis soon. Stay tuned!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Stairmaster posted:

have you considered as long as this system continues theres no future for the human race

Slow News Day thinks America isn't doing enough genocide and capitalism isn't brutal enough.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
That's a hell of a thing to post as the poster child of moral hazard possibly explodes.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

coelomate posted:

oh yeah that's the stuff

weatherdammerung: ARKSTORM SEASON!

doomsdayecon: BANKSTORM SEASON!

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

:gb2yospos:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

if im not confusing this loser this guy is a genocide denier and rape apologist so yeah

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

they bailed out the parasites as usual and now have it clear theres no consequences a totally good response

The consequence is that a lovely bank no longer exists, investors lost everything they had put into it, and management will face lawsuits.

You are right, there won't be any consequences for people like you or me. I'm personally happy about that. You?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Slow News Day posted:

yes the govt did the correct thing

but the context here is the govt can't do poo poo when poor and middle class people suffer
but a bunch of well connected vcs bank run their own bank and boom the creative solutions come out over the weekend

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
So the only smart move is to always deposit your money in the most degenerate bank possible to maximize returns knowing the Feds will always make you whole if things go tits up? Also, completely ignore the FDIC limit.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

The consequence is that a lovely bank no longer exists, investors lost everything they had put into it, and management will face lawsuits.

You are right, there won't be any consequences for people like you or me. I'm personally happy about that. You?

the lovely bank is still there they didnt lose anything they will receive their money and literally nobody will more than likely go to prison

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

but the context here is the govt can't do poo poo when poor and middle class people suffer
but a bunch of well connected vcs bank run their own bank and boom the creative solutions come out over the weekend

I'm with you on that 100%. America sucks, and capitalism sucks.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

imagine believing the same people that have time and time again done the same poo poo and now randomly believe they will totally not do it this time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

To add on top of this post and ti really hammer the point:

The government just a few days prior cut extended SNAP benefits and free school lunch to the struggling and poor. Children will go hungry while the Feds helps the wealthy. Again.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Subvisual Haze posted:

So the only smart move is to always deposit your money in the most degenerate bank possible to maximize returns knowing the Feds will always make you whole if things go tits up? Also, completely ignore the FDIC limit.

yup, and deposit fees are imaginary

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
not to mention the bank ceo literally lobbied congress to be exempt from stress testing

:thunk:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there are over 1000 bank failures a year and most dont make the news

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Bank failures are common," conveniently omits that 1. The majority of bank failures occur during economic turmoil/recession 2. These failing banks are typically somewhere within hundreds of millions to a few billions AUM. Not $171 billion, or $700 billion.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i wonder how many of them go to prison oh i heard the number was 0 ok

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

RealityWarCriminal posted:

there are over 1000 bank failures a year and most dont make the news

get out of here pete there's no cheese here

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

1. The majority of bank failures occur during economic turmoil/recession

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

biggest (German language) finance blog in Switzerland leading with this image and has all user comments disabled:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Subvisual Haze posted:

If you're getting your deposit back, you're probably not maximizing a return. The moves with SVB only guarantee that depositors can pull out the money they put in.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Don't worry, as a Globally Systemically Important Financial Institution Credit Suisse is required to have a Living Will under the Dodd-Frank Act to make it Orderly to Dump Its Corpse In The Woods if and/or when poo poo Happens.

Let's check on that!

quote:

Fed and FDIC slam “poor quality” Credit Suisse living will
Credit Suisse and BNP Paribas have joined Citigroup in the Federal Reserve and FDIC doghouse over failings in their resolution plans – as the head of another US regulator calls for an end to what he calls the “preferential treatment” given to foreign banks’ US branches and agencies.

https://globalbankingregulationreview.com/article/us-regulators-target-credit-suisse-over-living-will

...oh

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Wasnt the last us bank failure in 2020?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Maybe we shouldn't have a private banking system if it is constantly on government life support and needing immediate bailouts lest the entire economy immolate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Maybe we shouldn't have a private banking system if it is constantly on government life support and needing immediate bailouts lest the entire economy immolate?

this sounds like a good idea and might benefit poor people not allowed