Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kei Technical posted:

I keep seeing professionalism brought up in this context and have no idea what it means. The Russian military pilots are very much at work and doing things that are expected of them - how is this unprofessional behavior?

Presumably the 'professional' choice to take down a drone you want destroyed is to just shoot it instead of messing around with spraying fuel or pulling dangerously stupid ramming maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Unprofessional cuz the risks are uncontrolled. They're just swinging their dick near the woodchipper and hoping it doesn't go in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I believe the technical term is "loving cowboys"

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Unprofessional cuz the risks are uncontrolled. They're just swinging their dick near the woodchipper and hoping it doesn't go in.

:frogon: Now you've got my attention.

It's a prop drone, couldn't something solid have been jettisoned?

Isn't chaff a thing?

Clearly I'm in the know.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Totally insane to try to do that to a prop powered drone in your jet powered aircraft, that pilot was hittin' the vodka radar coolant heavy before that flight for sure.

I don't think they can afford vodka anymore.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Kei Technical posted:

I keep seeing professionalism brought up in this context and have no idea what it means. The Russian military pilots are very much at work and doing things that are expected of them - how is this unprofessional behavior?

As a general rule, if you aren't in a shooting war with another country, you shouldn't knock one of their planes out of the sky in international airspace unless you are prepared to either go to war with them or grovel for forgiveness.

Even in a normal intercept, the kind that doesn't involve a plane crashing, the interceptor aircraft shouldn't do anything that would cause the intruding aircraft to lose control, whether that's by dumping fuel on them, or flying close enough to cause the intruding pilot to lose control due to jet wake turbulence or just getting spooked.

We intercept Russian and Chinese planes all the time. Since we're not trying to get anyone killed, including our own pilots, FAA guidelines require a minimum of 500 foot separation between the interceptor and the intercepted aircraft during interception and diversion maneuvers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ward Carroll and Ed Nash on the drone thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmpj3cj7J34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25diXLePtKc

So, far all three I've posted are basically saying "this poo poo happens all the time, we're gonna yell at their ambassador and move on".

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Totally insane to try to do that to a prop powered drone in your jet powered aircraft, that pilot was hittin' the vodka heavy before that flight for sure.

yep

https://twitter.com/nickschifrin/status/1635766881628876800

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Someone was absolutely waiting to use “amateur hour” in a professional context, and this guy took his shot.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If the jet had crashed, would the drone pilot have received credit for the kill?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Vengarr posted:

If the jet had crashed, would the drone pilot have received credit for the kill?

Yes. I believe out of the top of my head there are multiple ww1 and ww2 examples of rammings and ramming gently caress-ups as well as forcing other planes to down / stall due to acrobatics that If someone initiates ramming dogfight with a reaper and loses the reaper should be awarded a kill for it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Siri, give me another synonym for incredibly dumb and dangerous?

Putin! :stat::wal:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Vengarr posted:

maneuver kill is still a kill.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

glynnenstein posted:

Everybody should check out the most recent War on the Rocks episode. Kofman just got back from another trip to Ukraine and has a pretty fresh update on the situation on the ground, prospects for a good guy spring offensive, insights about Russian tactics and where Wagner fits in, and a frankly depressing reality check about Ukrainian forces and the attrition they've faced.

In the same vein, this paywalled WaPo article:

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1635395773964894209?t=3W1acof7IxWBrzEGK9-TzA&s=19
https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1635395779878871040?t=olp1opV_coWygkpHwmttVw&s=19
https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1635395787457970177?t=f3Uz5q34JBkKw6rzsrSMmA&s=19

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
3-part trench fight viewed from above at an intersection. Russians smoke one of their own from up close. Grenades are suspiciously absent in the footage, until the end. :nms: obviously

https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1635921412383809536

e:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1635938372286914561

Notice the Buchanka speeding past it.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 15, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea, I do. Mid-air collisions are usually a loving disaster for everyone involved, and that’s before you’re looking at a jet slowing down enough to ram a propeller aircraft without destroying itself in the process. Add in that the airframe is probably not replaceable at this point, and it sounds like the pilot was being a loving moron.

Flying idiots aren’t limited to only the USAF.

Americans spend millions replacing airframes

Russia just used the same airframe

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

give him a break man

he's a rocket surgeon but mobilization bureaucracy stuck him in a fighter jet

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Kei Technical posted:

Professionalism in this context means the same as it means in all contexts; that you act in accordance with the norms of the profession in which you are engaged, i.e. aviation. It’s not so much a strict set of rules as the idea that best practices arise out of the conditions of the activity itself.

Most importantly professionalism sometimes requires that you tell your bosses to gently caress off if they tell you to do something unsafe or unethical. Good examples are an engineer refusing to stamp a change he believes is unsafe, or lawyer advising that a certain action the client wants to take is illegal; professionals don’t always do the right thing, but the standards of professionalism require they do.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Kei Technical posted:

The 'professional' approach would've been to fire a missile at the drone to kill it. Not piss on it and then ram it with the wing of your own aircraft, that's just being weird and bullying an inanimate object for ??? ends.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
On the other hand, if the ramming had worked maybe we'd see all top of the line fighter jets retrofitted with bronze rams. :black101:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HisMajestyBOB posted:

On the other hand, if the ramming had worked maybe we'd see all top of the line fighter jets retrofitted with bronze rams. :black101:

Tired: Su27 Flanker
Wired: Su27 Trireme

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's not great when a nuclear superpower has pilots taking their multimillion dollar possibly literally irreplaceable fighter jets and ramming them into things.

e: also apparently the Russian pilot tried to play chicken with a drone. Lets take a minute to consider the thought process going on there.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 15, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alchenar posted:

It's not a great when a nuclear superpower has pilots taking their multimillion dollar possibly literally irreplaceable fighter jets and ramming them into things.

e: also apparently the Russian pilot tried to play chicken with a drone. Lets take a minute to consider the thought process going on there.

He knew he wasn’t risking the radar because it was already trashed. The alcohol based coolant had already been drained/distilled and found it’s way into his pre-flight drink, while the rest ended up in his flight-flask.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

It's not great when a nuclear superpower has pilots taking their multimillion dollar possibly literally irreplaceable fighter jets and ramming them into things.

Yeah always worth remembering Russia pilots do not get the same level of flight hours as US or EU pilots, and often less training.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Oh my God that's even dumber than my piss jet fuel on it and try and set it on fire idea

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Oh my God that's even dumber than my piss jet fuel on it and try and set it on fire idea

It can be all of the above! Perfect fodder for the Idiots thread regardless.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's also possible that drone was in a fully autonomous mode if it was just trying to get from point a to point b so it's possible the Russian pilot was playing chicken with someone who was literally not even watching the loving screen.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cr0y posted:

It's also possible that drone was in a fully autonomous mode if it was just trying to get from point a to point b so it's possible the Russian pilot was playing chicken with someone who was literally not even watching the loving screen.

Lol imagine the operator all out for coffee, getting a smoke, comes back and the drone's offline. They're all "oh gently caress gently caress gently caress"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If it's anything like the hours of panel watching I did, you have someone bring you coffee, and in this situation you'd just leave the autopilot on and watch the video feed while calling everyone else in the building to come see this stupid Russian fucker make an rear end of himself.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

M_Gargantua posted:

If it's anything like the hours of panel watching I did, you have someone bring you coffee, and in this situation you'd just leave the autopilot on and watch the video feed while calling everyone else in the building to come see this stupid Russian fucker make an rear end of himself.

I'm just thinking about when I am flight simming and flip on the autopilot and go take a leak and come back to find my plane in the process of creating a hole in the side of a mountain.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Icon Of Sin posted:

He knew he wasn’t risking the radar because it was already trashed. The alcohol based coolant had already been drained/distilled and found it’s way into his pre-flight drink, while the rest ended up in his flight-flask.

Which is why he thought it was a good idea.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I’m honestly curious, if a Russian jet starts playing chicken with a drone, is the operator supposed to ask higher-ups if he should dodge or just let this stupid son of a bitch kill himself, or are there guidelines for how to respond, or is it up to operator discretion?

Because on one hand it’d be morbidly appropriate to just let Darwin take his course, but on the other hand I could see someone going “I’d really rather not deal with the diplomatic bullshit that results from a dead Russian pilot even if it’s clearly not our fault.”

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
On the other hand, you would be on your way to becoming the first Drone Ace.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
If it's anything like FPV flying drones, there's a bit of lag between what you see through the camera and where the drone actually is. If I was flying a drone like that I think the safest thing to do is to do nothing and let the other pilot sort it out. If the Drone pilot does anything, he'd be putting the other pilot at risk while not being at risk himself, and giving the Russians fuel for what ever game they're playing by possibly downing one of their jets.

Edit: spelling?

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 15, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tomn posted:

I’m honestly curious, if a Russian jet starts playing chicken with a drone, is the operator supposed to ask higher-ups if he should dodge or just let this stupid son of a bitch kill himself, or are there guidelines for how to respond, or is it up to operator discretion?

Because on one hand it’d be morbidly appropriate to just let Darwin take his course, but on the other hand I could see someone going “I’d really rather not deal with the diplomatic bullshit that results from a dead Russian pilot even if it’s clearly not our fault.”

The drone in question has no effective means to disengage from that scenario. The choice to start and stop that confrontation was entirely in the Russian pilot's hands.

Well, I guess the drone pilot could have just nosed down and crashed directly into the black sea, but that is an even less realistic scenario than the silliness that actually happened.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do drone operators get pilot nicknames? Hope there's a good one from this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’d go with Teabag for sure

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How about "SUe"?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

In the US Air Force they're "Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilots" or "Remote Pilots". They're treated just like other air crew, they get the same nickname stuff and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

I believe the rule is that pilot names are always embarrassing, so his best case is getting called 'golden' as shorthand for 'golden showers'