Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tree Reformat posted:

I mean, they're gonna have to do something for when they make Pulcinella as playable in 6.x or whatever.

Maybe they'll finally add "Small Male" for the models by then.

You'll take the old man doing the airplane run and be grateful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot

Real Cool Catfish posted:

What the gently caress.

I’ve been playing this for months.

Mate I was AR60 before I realised you could teleport to Beidou’s ship instead of climbing the mountain and gliding there

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The new challenge stuff is kinda fun but man setting up teams and buffs prior to the fight always feels like a drag to me. That said, it was fun one-shotting every enemy with Yoimiya yesterday and doing 100k plunges with Xiao today.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

FiftyFour posted:

Mate I was AR60 before I realised you could teleport to Beidou’s ship instead of climbing the mountain and gliding there

This wasn't a feature until like a year after release afaik.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not till Version 2.3 November 24 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Not till Version 2.3 November 24 2021

Yeah around 2.3-2.4 they seemed to decide that you should be able to just teleport directly to some major landmarks like the Alcor, Jade Chamber and Tenshuhaku. They need to give Mondstadt Cathedral a teleport coordinate too though IMO.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Oh, I see reddit is back and all of this was non-reliable mush. Ok.

This new saga of not!Varka sure is... something. Honestly kinda makes me wish hoyo would tighten up security a bit since these sorts of pre-pre-development leaks are so worthless. Still remember Geo Bow Albedo and the such. Hoyo uses placeholders all the time!

I guess it's good to know that fontaine isn't goona be 90% hatgirls by volume.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

The new challenge stuff is kinda fun but man setting up teams and buffs prior to the fight always feels like a drag to me. That said, it was fun one-shotting every enemy with Yoimiya yesterday and doing 100k plunges with Xiao today.

i always love events like this because it allows me to run what would be impractical teams for my amount of gaming ineptitude. yoi+xiangling+yelan+kazuha was crazy fun to use but i would never run them in abyss because baby needs shields

edit: wow plats are pretty easy to get this time around huh

MNSNTZR fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 15, 2023

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Kale posted:

Yeah around 2.3-2.4 they seemed to decide that you should be able to just teleport directly to some major landmarks like the Alcor, Jade Chamber and Tenshuhaku. They need to give Mondstadt Cathedral a teleport coordinate too though IMO.

Sure they'll get right on that after they make one for the wolf.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The more stuff we hear about Fontaine the more I'm convinced we're going to act out the French revolution along with whatever friends we make along the way and Focalors is going to make version 2.0-2.4 Raiden Shogun look like Mahatma Ghandi in comparison and be Teyvat Marie Antoinette with god powers to back it up instead of just Gendarme and Musketeers and what not. I wonder if we'll get a Cosette and a Javert too and if they'll just literally name them that.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Kale posted:

The more stuff we hear about Fontaine the more I'm convinced we're going to act out the French revolution along with whatever friends we make along the way and Focalors is going to make version 2.0-2.4 Raiden Shogun look like Mahatma Ghandi in comparison and be Teyvat Marie Antoinette with god powers to back it up instead of just Gendarme and Musketeers and what not. I wonder if we'll get a Cosette and a Javert too and if they'll just literally name them that.

Knowing Genshin, we'll probably get the PG-rated, musical version.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kale posted:

Hey they hired that one opera guy for Sumeru, if they're just doing Les Mis I know who they should pick up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9IWAxSpgKA

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Boat Stuck posted:

Knowing Genshin, we'll probably get the PG-rated, musical version.

They do have a rhythm game setup ready to go....

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

MoonCrab posted:

Oh, I see reddit is ... non-reliable mush. Ok.

Anyway,

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1635650904811778049/pu/vid/1280x720/-fKAj43sf_xznvNA.mp4

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's funny until I realized it was level 40.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Candace is underwhelming for the effort involved in using her but man she's the closest Genshin gets to a Saint Seiya character

Actually the only thing I really want for her is enemies not simply bowling past her shield when charging

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I will never not be upset that hoyo decided the LITERAL SHIELD USER "GUARDIAN" ARCHETYPE CHARACTER shouldn't generate a hydro shield with her burst. At least that would offset her otherwise anemic support potential. Some directional hard-CC on the hold version of her skill triggering would be nice too.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

sushibandit posted:

I will never not be upset that hoyo decided the LITERAL SHIELD USER "GUARDIAN" ARCHETYPE CHARACTER shouldn't generate a hydro shield with her burst. At least that would offset her otherwise anemic support potential. Some directional hard-CC on the hold version of her skill triggering would be nice too.

this is the same company that introduced the concept of delusions, gave us two characters that canonically use them — technically three, — and haven’t given anyone but the traveler use of multiple elements yet, creeping up on three years in

50% of what’s done at hyv headquarters is paying their writers by the word, bungling betas and huffing glue

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't done Sumeru yet so maybe it gets explained there but where can I find more lore on Delusions? And why do some characters get hosed up by them (Teppei) while others like Childe are fine?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
On one hand, how dare you expect multiple characters for the price of one. On the other, Childe could use another rerun with a new form plus new signature weapons and artifact sets for his new form. But only him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't done Sumeru yet so maybe it gets explained there but where can I find more lore on Delusions? And why do some characters get hosed up by them (Teppei) while others like Childe are fine?

Teppei was using it constantly, Childe i think has only used it once canonically that we know about and it was basically to go "ah, but i haven't even revealed my FINAL FORM" for a few minutes while fighting us

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Teppei was using it constantly, Childe i think has only used it once canonically that we know about and it was basically to go "ah, but i haven't even revealed my FINAL FORM" for a few minutes while fighting us

So up until the point where Childe was fighting us, he wasn't using his Delusion?

Has the transformation aspect been discussed at all? Is that like a Delusion being overclocked or something?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So far only one character has experienced a transformation from activating their Delusion.

Signora's transformation actually happens because she *stops* using her Delusion, which is suppressing her innate fire powers

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Wasn't it explained during stuff with Gorou and the special rebel team that people who have visions are way more resilient to the bad effects of delusions? Anyone can use them, but normal people will die pretty quickly from the strain on their body or something.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Half the harbringers are probably some degree of immortal based on how long they’ve been active, so might just be straight up immune to any side effects.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MNSNTZR posted:

this is the same company that introduced the concept of delusions, gave us two characters that canonically use them — technically three, — and haven’t given anyone but the traveler use of multiple elements yet, creeping up on three years in
i mean all of the characters very noticeably have 'titles' accompanying them

like childe isnt just childe his banner is very clearly childe ~a farewell in snezhnaya~

they could easily pull the lever on electro childe way later down the line and give the banner a different name to distinguish it. no reason to pull that lever now when theres a ton of new characters they want to introduce, its something for when we've been to every country already

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

MNSNTZR posted:

You can't even use multiple elements at the same time even when it's shown as an ability in cutscenes!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also wrt delusions

delusions are made from dead gods. i assume the reason teppei and the other rebels experienced heavy negative effects is that the delusions that were being dripfed to the resistance by the fatui were made from crystal marrow, which has the tatarigami curse from orobashi in it, and also an extremely small amount of the god's power, since he's been dead for ages.

you can imagine that the harbingers are getting the purest, highest grade god material that the fatui can get their hands on, hence less side effects.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Doesn't he also use it during his story quest (where he kills about a dozen ruin machines simultaneously and then gets so hosed up by it that he tells you not to let his kid brother see him)?

And yeah, I'd assume that the Harbingers' Delusions are higher quality than the ones they were handing out like candy to the Inazuman rebels.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Childe question -

Does he currently appear in any other story content or is the Liyue archon quests his only appearance?

Or is it one of those things where we got massive lore for him in an event that no longer exists?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do characters like various samurai enemies use elemental powers? Was that ever explained?

I feel like the elemental abilities of random Fatui troops were also explained at one point, but I can't remember the explanation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

How do characters like various samurai enemies use elemental powers? Was that ever explained?

I feel like the elemental abilities of random Fatui troops were also explained at one point, but I can't remember the explanation.
the fatui grunts are using delusions.

as for the samurai, its explained as 'paper seals.'

quote:

Samurai who have fallen into banditry.
They practiced martial arts since they were young, but lost the opportunity to serve the people due to certain reasons and turned from the righteous path. Their blade's edges are not cold like ordinary steel, but instead burn with a bitter flame. They seem to have used paper seals, created from a lost Kamuna art, to set the blades afire.

quote:

Samurai who have fallen into banditry.
They possess highly advanced martial art skills but found no use for them for various reasons. Out of desperation, they have fallen onto the path of evil. They use paper seals, created from a Kamuna art that has been lost for centuries, to infuse their blades with the power of lightning.

there's a few types of magic in the setting that aren't related to visions, like mona's astrology, or albedo's master's alchemy, but it seems to require either a lot of preparation or not have much direct combat use.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There's also just enough hints that maybe you don't need visions to use the elements. It's been something that's been bubbling in the background that I wonder if it will ever be addressed. Maybe when the plot gets back to bringing up genshin/allogenes again.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't seen any additional lore beyond what you have I don't think, but based on what the Fatui say in Inazuma I'd say The issue is Teppei and the Inazuma resistance fighters overused them. Delusions sap the life of those who use them, canonically the two harbingers we've seen use them might also be shaving years off their life, but since they had visions, it's not like they constantly tapped into them, and one wound up dead immediately after using hers anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also wrt 'having a vision makes you less susceptible to the delusions' side-effects', its notable that we know pantalone doesn't have a vision. though, while all the harbingers are stated to have delusions, given that hes the money man i doubt he has much cause to be throwing his weight around personally. then again every country except monstadt has had a harbinger boss fight so who knows, we'll probably be punching him in natlan or something.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

they could easily pull the lever on electro childe way later down the line and give the banner a different name to distinguish it. no reason to pull that lever now when theres a ton of new characters they want to introduce, its something for when we've been to every country already

surely this will happen before end of server, just like my futile hopes and dreams about kaeya becoming the only free 5 star that doesn’t suck due to story-based shenanigans once khaenri’ah becomes physically relevant

Traveller posted:

You can't even use multiple elements at the same time even when it's shown as an ability in cutscenes!

is kazuha’s idiot friend dead or not hyv

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mihoyo funded Genshin off the back of releasing a character with slightly different shade of red and selling it as a brand new character for years

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I feel like if anything, Honkai is starting to have more of Genshin's "new characters instead of new versions of the same characters" thing than the other way around--it'd be nice to get, like, a powered up Plot-Relevant Kaeya, or an Actually Trying Childe, or even a Desperate Delusion Diluc, but it feels like they're moving away from that direction.

As for Delusions themselves, we at least have reasons why everyone playable who owns one isn't using it. Diluc owns a Delusion that he has hesitantly used a handful of times but mostly keeps locked up because it killed his father. Childe explicitly isn't really trying as a party member--he won't even use his preferred weapon, let alone his Delusion. And Scaramouche has, since the time we know he had a Delusion, stolen a Gnosis, deserted the nation that gave him a Delusion, been almost turned into a god by a bunch of Sages, and then erased all record of himself from history, including his own mind, and wandered somewhere. He probably lost it.

Also I've heard the theory that Delusions require masks to properly use, since Childe wears one when using his, Signora wears one, all the Fatui troops wear them, and Diluc wears one the only time we've seen him use it. If so, lack of proper safety procedures probably didn't help Teppei.
(Also worth noting here that Abyss Mages, Abyss Lectors, and Hilichurls all ALSO wear masks. :tinfoil:)

Mordiceius posted:

Childe question -

Does he currently appear in any other story content or is the Liyue archon quests his only appearance?

Or is it one of those things where we got massive lore for him in an event that no longer exists?

He has his own side story chapter where you learn that he has a little brother he spoils with his job money, who does not know that he's in the Fatui. Also that he has no hard feelings toward the Traveler--this is explicitly not mutual.

He also appeared in an event quest with Xinyan and an origami samurai, but it didn't really reveal anything new about Childe, besides maybe some extra demonstration of how much he loving loves fighting. It did reveal Scaramouch deserting with the Gnosis, which come to think of it has not actually come up outside of that event--like Sumeru's Archon Quest seemed to treat him as still being with the Fatui, right? According to that event quest he should have been a deserter--maybe Dottore is too?

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Mordiceius posted:

Childe question -

He's been in a bunch of Inazuma events, randomly, so you'll want to look at this YT channel for the cutscenes. Also a lot of his lore is in his friendship blog stuff, so if you don't have him you'll need to check a wiki for that too.

His transformation in stage 3 is unique due to the time he spent in the Abyss and has little to do with his delusion. And as someone else said, Signora was using hers constantly to STOP her transformation, so frequency of use is different between normal peons and Fatui. My guess is vision users/super beings + better delusion mats is what keeps the Harbingers from dying instantly. Kinda same deal as the withering, now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Captain France posted:

Desperate Delusion Diluc

it would have been so easy with the outfit. it’s already paywalled, it has visual effects, the description brings up his goddamn past and his father’s expectations of him. if they felt like the delusion part wasn’t plot-relevant at the time, release the outfit later

huffing glue