Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

It was 38% this morning lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Justin Tyme posted:

lmao if the chatgpt prediction for the 15th turns out to be (inadvertently and ironically) accurate due to dumb luck, but lol if I don't hoot n hollar for future predictions based off this

I almost want it to be right because I feel like this would cause tiktok brained people to start some kind of doomsday AI cult

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I love our big strong financial system that threatens to collapse and die every time someone looks at it

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

Depends on who is holding derivatives related to the status of Credit Suisse. If you sold a bunch of credit default swap to someone else obligating you to pay up if CS defaults…

Okay, I think I get it. Some US banks may have taken some money on a sure bet that CS could never possibly fail. And if CS does fail, they are obligated to pay out a bunch of money (that they may or may not have easy access to).

Now that the roulette wheel is starting to look like it might come up green, everyone is getting a little jumpy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nothus posted:

It's happening (again)

:munch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

We should give banks more money and starve people more, it's working good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Libya lost some uranium I guess?? Throw it onto the pile.

quote:

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1636061772799983617

IAEA STATEMENT TO MEMBER STATES SEEN BY REUTERS: 10 DRUMS CONTAINING ROUGHLY 2.5 TONS OF NATURAL URANIUM IN FORM OF UOC DECLARED AS BEING STORED AT THE LOCATION WERE NOT PRESENT THERE

IAEA STATEMENT TO MEMBER STATES SEEN BY REUTERS: IAEA WILL CONDUCT FURTHER ACTIVITIES TO CLARIFY CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE MATERIAL'S REMOVAL AND ITS CURRENT LOCATION

IAEA STATEMENT TO MEMBER STATES SEEN BY REUTERS: THE LOSS OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE NUCLEAR MATERIAL'S LOCATION MAY PRESENT A RADIOLOGICAL RISK AS WELL AS NUCLEAR SECURITY CONCERNS

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Paradoxish posted:

So just to clarify, there's still no detailed information on the "material weaknesses" CS reported, right? Everything that's happening right now is essentially self-reinforcing panic that this might be the big one?

they filed it in their form 20-F for fiscal year 2022 as of yesterday. It’s a publicly available SEC filing akin to a 10-k in the US

As a CPA it looks like they materially hosed up review of classifications for their cash flows statement and the auditors caught it, but it should have been caught by a management control so bing bing material weakness

Bad but not all that interesting really, and not really a weakness in their deposit management process

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Failson posted:

Okay, got it, and Credit Suisse is the old money war crime bank.

a swiss bank? wonder what they were up to in the 1940s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
“Here is the thing about the future. Every time you look at it, it changes, because you looked at it, and that changes everything else.”

- Nicolas Cage, as Cris Johnson, in Next (2007)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Koirhor posted:

so I’ve finally caught up on the thread first of all lol

second of all apparently we are gonna bail out *checks notes* Switzerland

lmao

Switzerland doesn’t need a bailout, it’s an incredibly rich and high taxed country. There is insane wealth there and they have incredibly wealthy landlords too. It’s like a bubble in Europe.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

shrike82 posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

is the joke that you can't tell them apart or is thorn really a shrike alt

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

too much woke capitalism. we need good capitalism again imo

just get rid of all the green-haired Stanford weirdos, bring back Trump and we'll be ok

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Make capitalism slur again

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
here you can just pull the latest 20-f off their website:

https://www.credit-suisse.com/about-us/en/investor-relations/financial-regulatory-disclosures/sec-filings.html

ctrl f material weakness and read all about it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Only a suisse deals in absolutes

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the entire bank is a material weakness op

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

quote:

“Management did not design and maintain an effective risk assessment process to identify and analyse the risk of material misstatements in its financial statements,” Credit Suisse said in its report.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Orvin posted:

I get that banks are all to some level interconnected, but what is the risk from Credit Suisse to the US and it’s banks? Just the fact that some US rich people have money there and will be grumpy it failed and they might have to wait a couple of days to fondle their 1s and 0s the reflect their off shore money?

well it is a g-sib bank, a global systematically important bank, which supposedly means its failure would trigger a worldwide financial crisis

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Paradoxish posted:

So just to clarify, there's still no detailed information on the "material weaknesses" CS reported, right? Everything that's happening right now is essentially self-reinforcing panic that this might be the big one?

the saudis, who are big investor in cs, said gently caress off we won't give you any more money

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

just get rid of all the green-haired Stanford weirdos, bring back Trump and we'll be ok

woke capitalism vs. based capitalism —— that's the dialectic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wonder if management knowing it was TBTF lead to bad practices which increased the risk the bank would fail. huh

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
on one hand it's pretty lmao that chatgpt shat out an accurate prediction on the other hand banzingas are going to be even more insufferable now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

spacemang_spliff posted:

on one hand it's pretty lmao that chatgpt shat out an accurate prediction on the other hand banzingas are going to be even more insufferable now

I want to point out the minor detail that the ChatGPT prediction for the crash today on March 15th was made last month on 2/16. So that's quite a gap of time, they didn't just randomly ask it yesterday if the market would crash the next day.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is the joke that you can't tell them apart or is thorn really a shrike alt

The first

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Credit Suisse has been dying for a month (years, really), I'm not about to give the lovely chatbot any credit for "predicting" this

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nothus posted:

Credit Suisse has been dying for a month (years, really), I'm not about to give the lovely chatbot any credit for "predicting" this

Cope & seethe.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

they got too big to be too big to fail

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The more old and WASPy your bank's CEO and board appear, the safer your money.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

holefoods posted:

I almost want it to be right because I feel like this would cause tiktok brained people to start some kind of doomsday AI cult

That's the death spiral we deserve

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Subvisual Haze posted:

The more old and WASPy your bank's CEO and board appear, the safer your money.

wells fargo will be fine everyone

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

how dare you say this in a thread dedicated to doomers and doomerism

just kidding. so long as you don't credit and praise democrats for this right-to-work repeal, you're probably safe...

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Credit Suisse and desist

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

lmao wonder who the counterparties are on those

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Excuse me, what?

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1636067486121467904

Wasn't the banking crisis contained with the unprecedented solvency bailout?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Excuse me, what?

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1636067486121467904

Wasn't the banking crisis contained with the unprecedented solvency bailout?

lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

so is this a crash or a soft collapse

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Once again the liberals lied

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool