Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I just double checked the plot synopsis to make sure but the reason people see it as a misguided and creepy romance is because after Lawrence's character finds out, there's a contrived disaster scenario where they have to work together to save the ship. After they fix that, they find out there's a way to put one person back to sleep but Lawrence decides to stay awake with Pratt because she just loves him so drat much.

he would probably just have woken her up again anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pretty much most zombie movies/stories.

These things are decaying corpses. Sometimes they barely have any meat on the bones. If they are decaying couldn't you just wait it out and eventually the problem goes away? Also it's hard to believe the zombie stuff becomes such a problem that the entire world societies collapse. Like the military wouldn't be able to figure it out after a while that a headshot does it? Or burning? I'm sure some cities would be hit hard and there would be a lot of dead people but have you ever driven through the middle of America? There is so much empty space. People could just relocate for a while and go back when all the zombies are just skeletons.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

GazChap posted:

My wife's favourite movie is About Time, and I abhor it because it takes this to the loving next level.

Not only does the movie present stalking as a valid way of meeting the love of your life, in this movie the protagonist literally travels back in time to stalk a woman that he'd spent a single evening with, fabricates an entire aspect of his personality to appear more attractive to her, interferes in her existing relationships in order to insert himself into her life, and pretty much manipulates their entire lives together via time travel.

And, apart from one part, where his time travelling meddles with his family in a way he didn't want (to which end there are no actual consequences) it's all presented as perfectly fine and dandy.

I was so confused because I thought About Time was that movie with Justin Timberlake where the movie's title, every noun uttered in the movie, and every single thing that happens is some variation of a pun about time. But that's In Time, a delightfully fun movie that's so loving dumb. So, so, so loving stupid.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
This is why only the supernatural "the dead are rising because hell is full" zombie plots where there is no explanation and they just keep coming are the only scary ones. It makes it a much more permanent problem and would absolutely collapse all societies everywhere. As soon as you try to explain how it works, it all falls apart and is no longer fun. It's the same thing with time travel.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Shard posted:

Pretty much most zombie movies/stories.

These things are decaying corpses. Sometimes they barely have any meat on the bones. If they are decaying couldn't you just wait it out and eventually the problem goes away? Also it's hard to believe the zombie stuff becomes such a problem that the entire world societies collapse. Like the military wouldn't be able to figure it out after a while that a headshot does it? Or burning? I'm sure some cities would be hit hard and there would be a lot of dead people but have you ever driven through the middle of America? There is so much empty space. People could just relocate for a while and go back when all the zombies are just skeletons.

Don't most zombie movies take place shortly after zombie outbreaks happen? For longer-running series or shows though, yeah, that's a good point.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Randalor posted:

Don't most zombie movies take place shortly after zombie outbreaks happen? For longer-running series or shows though, yeah, that's a good point.

Addressed in World War Z (yes, I know), there basically aren't any viable zombies apart from one or two stuck under permafrost after a year or two.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

You have to factor in all the people calling it fake news and whining to be let into Applebee's even as the zeds gnaw on them.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I also think the zombie thing wouldn't hit everywhere as hard as others. Like with the amount of guns in america I just don't see it being as big a problem as say Japan. And how strong are zombies? Shouldn't the be getting weaker as their muscles deteriorate? And for that matter what is actually moving them? Sometimes zombies with no stomach are eating folks - what is actually animating their bodies? If I removed the teeth of a zombie am I cool? Can they bite through let's say riot gear? Or even just tough leather?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Can you invite zombies for sleepovers? What kind of pajamas do you think zombies wear? Do you think zombies prefer sour candies or salted popcorn? Can you bimboify a zombie? Do you think a zombie will ask me to prom?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Can you invite zombies for sleepovers? What kind of pajamas do you think zombies wear? Do you think zombies prefer sour candies or salted popcorn? Can you bimboify a zombie? Do you think a zombie will ask me to prom?

Yes, nightgowns, salted popcorn, of course and doubtful.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Shard posted:

I also think the zombie thing wouldn't hit everywhere as hard as others. Like with the amount of guns in america I just don't see it being as big a problem as say Japan. And how strong are zombies? Shouldn't the be getting weaker as their muscles deteriorate? And for that matter what is actually moving them? Sometimes zombies with no stomach are eating folks - what is actually animating their bodies? If I removed the teeth of a zombie am I cool? Can they bite through let's say riot gear? Or even just tough leather?

This is where I think some movies/franchises have tried to make a departure from the classic 'corpses reanimated' type of zombies to more 'explainable' ones - be it the fungus mans from Last of Us or even the rabies-offshoot zombies in I am Legend.
Something has to keep blood flowing and nerves firing, once your zombies cross over to the 'dead' state, you're playing with pure fantasy if they last more than a few days/weeks without deteriorating like corpses do.
Hell, Larry Niven had a zombies in a short story from 1974 where the corpses (of humans and animals alike) are infected by some sort of plant/fungus that flowers during the daytime to soak up nutrients and animates the corpses at night to be more 'traditional' bitey hordes in an attempt to spread the pathogen.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
The movie Splinter did a good job with the "organism animating human bodies" thing

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best zombie movie is The Day of the Triffids from 1963, which invented every trope and never gets the credit

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Mar 15, 2023

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Sounds like Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt except no aliens.

It's pretty much Groundhog Day with zero self awareness

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Best zombies are so rotten that they shouldn't be able to move but they do because they're magic.

Just a few scraps of fetid flesh hanging loosely from a skeletal abomination is what I want in a zombie.

Also explaining things, not just zombies but anything even vaguely fantastical, never fails to make it less interesting.

That's why Romero's zombies rule, despite being disappointingly fresh and fleshy outside of Day, they're never really explained explicitly.

Is it Space Radiation? Maybe. Is Hell just full? maybe. All we know is that everyone who dies for any reason comes back as a cannibal corpse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dwarf fortress zombie rules - if it has a head or hand it can come back, does a bearskin rug have a head? Yes, and now its alive and trying to kill you. The skeleton of that bear? A different undead, also trying to kill you

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Tunicate posted:

Dwarf fortress zombie rules - if it has a head or hand it can come back, does a bearskin rug have a head? Yes, and now its alive and trying to kill you. The skeleton of that bear? A different undead, also trying to kill you

And if you have a fortress gelder? A third undead, trying to kill you.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite zombie movies are 28 days later because they die of hunger and Shaun of the Dead because the military actually takes care of the situation once they figure out whats going on and then zombies are just part of society now.

But my actual favorite zombie movie is Return of the Living Dead because of how undestructable they are and how they do a good job at showing you why a horde is pretty much unbeatable unless you can stop them with a wall or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
RotLD also does a great job of getting to the point of the problem with "forever chemicals" and heavy element toxicities.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Apocalypse posted:

On The Rewatchables podcast episode where they covered Sleepless in Seattle, they pointed out if the gender roles were flipped it would be a horror thriller flick.

I'd never checked out this podcast even though I check out The Ringer. Listened to their episode by episode rewatch of The Wire but somehow missed this one and it's really good so thanks for posting it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Return of the Living Dead was the 1st zombie movie I ever saw so my IIMM is shambling zombies seen in other films like Night of the Living Dead.

Also wasn't Return of the Living Dead the movie that established that zombies eat brains?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Android Apocalypse posted:

Return of the Living Dead was the 1st zombie movie I ever saw so my IIMM is shambling zombies seen in other films like Night of the Living Dead.

Also wasn't Return of the Living Dead the movie that established that zombies eat brains?

Yeah, because it contains chemicals that make being dead less painful, I think? It was also, if I remember correctly, originally a proper sequel to Night of the Living Dead but Romero didn't like the direction it was going.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Romero was never actually involved with Return. John Russo, screenwriter of Return, had an agreement with Romero about doing his own sequel since he cowrote Night.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I think I had successfully suppressed any memory of Return of the Living Dead 3 until now. I would like to go back to blissful ignorance please

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

credburn posted:

Yeah, because it contains chemicals that make being dead less painful, I think? It was also, if I remember correctly, originally a proper sequel to Night of the Living Dead but Romero didn't like the direction it was going.

Return came out after Dawn. Romero didn't have the rights to "of the Living Dead."

Yeah, it's a bit of a brick horror that it hurts to be dead. Forever. And we don't know if 2-4-5 trioxin is required for them to feel that.

RotLD 2 is...not good, but I do like the third one, as well as the realization that zombies are perpetual motion machines.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I think I had successfully suppressed any memory of Return of the Living Dead 3 until now. I would like to go back to blissful ignorance please

It's very 90s, but what don't you like about it?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I just want to know why zombies aren't surrounded by flies, if they are in fact dead. Meat rots. They should explode with loving fly grubs any time you shoot them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just want to know why zombies aren't surrounded by flies, if they are in fact dead. Meat rots. They should explode with loving fly grubs any time you shoot them.

A lot of fiction that gets more in depth includes the source of the phenomenon retarding decay or also smelling 'wrong' to carrion eaters like rats and vultures. Sometimes the flesh is toxic.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I figured zombies just spend a bit of each day just sitting around grooming each other like monkeys.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cowslips Warren posted:

You want maggots when you shoot zombies, play Dark Tide. You'll swing a shovel and get a screenful of maggots.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Return of the Living Dead is one of God's perfect movies.

And the cover art for the blu ray I got is just insanely good.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Return had the best soundtrack too, first time I ever heard The Cramps.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The movie Splinter did a good job with the "organism animating human bodies" thing

Yup.

God that movie was horrifying.

Great, but holy gently caress the ramifications were :stonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Dwarf fortress is sillier than that, if you shear a sheep in an evil biome the wool comes back to life and tries to kill people.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Duh, the flies turn into zomflies after eating from a zombie and then they go after non-zombie flies.

Zombies also locally solve mosquitos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Weirdly enough I remember the Vahzilok zombies in City of Heroes- which are explicitly Frankenstein-esque corpses stitched together haphazardly and reanimated with crude bionics and chemistry, and hence don't count as 'true undead'- specifically have an aura of flies to emphasise they're actively rotting.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Beachcomber posted:

It's very 90s, but what don't you like about it?

:shrug: The details are fuzzy - it was a part of massive cult & horror binge over a decade ago, and it, The Crow, and any Hellraiser after 2 are the ones I said "never again". Is it worth watching if I dig the first?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

:shrug: The details are fuzzy - it was a part of massive cult & horror binge over a decade ago, and it, The Crow, and any Hellraiser after 2 are the ones I said "never again". Is it worth watching if I dig the first?
I binged the entire Hellraiser series in the week before Halloween last year. They do depart a bit from the original premise but it was still an entertaining experience having not watched any of them before.

I watched with detachment on the body horror, though, my girlfriend hated it.

(Didn't make her watch them, but sometimes I'd watch with headphones while she was asleep and her unhappiness about this when she'd briefly wake up slowed down the watching considerably)

stringless has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Mar 16, 2023

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
My favourite thing about Return of the Living Dead II is that they straight up re-use two characters from the first one (in which they die btw). The same poo poo happens to them and they're even played by the same actors. It's so lazy and stupid. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

My favourite thing about Return of the Living Dead II is that they straight up re-use two characters from the first one (in which they die btw). The same poo poo happens to them and they're even played by the same actors. It's so lazy and stupid. It's great.

They also repeat dialogue/scenes from the first film.

The one I remember off the top of my head is the scene where he gets told to be quiet or he'll lose his job and he goes "This job?!?! THIS JOB!?!?!"

So I think it's less lazy and stupid, as an intentional joke. (still stupid though, just stupid and cool instead of stupid and lazy)