Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Senjuro posted:

True but if a bunch of professors and a respected Expositor are all telling you the same thing it's probably wise to take it seriously, especially considering the potential apocalyptic consequences of being wrong.

We have that happen in real life all the time

teachers/scientists just get ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
what we got here is a super genius immortal arch mage who has had thousands of years to plan for every last variable, up to and including the interference of the world's most powerful and capable heroes. therefore many were distracted or had their attention drawn elsewhere, and the ones who weren't walked right into traps tailor made to nullify them. the reason why he didn't fully succeed and is because a group of relative nobodies beneath his notice showed up and tilted things towards a mixed success instead of total defeat. The reason this is is because the story follows the underdog heroes and it would be lame for the Big Strong Heroes to show up and solve the problem and give our protagonists a slap on the back for helping out

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Ludinus just wants to kill his old rival Vecna once and for all

and what with him being a god now, unleashing the god eater was the only way

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I don't know, I still think this story probably would of overall been better had the C1 & 2 characters hadn't been involved. After C1 ended and they were getting ready for C2, Matt specifically had a rule that they weren't allowed to have any relation or personal contact with any of the players or major characters from C1 for a reason. Bringing people back from both C1 and C2 and having personal ties to them really does a disservice to the actual C3 PCs since it takes them out of the focus.

Kind of like later Star Wars movies - it's a huge galaxy with billions of people and everything keeps coming back to the same handful of characters in a way that makes this huge galaxy feel incredibly tiny.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Honestly I thought the idea of getting the big robot working was hopeless and a waste of time, and I suspect that even the players realistically thought it wasn't going to work, but pretending like it might work so as to provide an excuse to reuniting the only healers with the party was at least worthwhile.

That they actually managed to get that big robot working was incredible luck. Without that I can't imagine the party actually getting all the way down to the bottom level without being detected.

It's unclear how much effect taking out three of the clusters of power nodes worked. Ludinus didn't seem entirely confident in it being enough. It's unclear what happens, but I doubt that at least team Uthodurn has any way to get back to Yios in time to take another crack at the thing.

Farg posted:

the airship being negated is heartbreaking. imagine a counterspell making it through and everything is just done in a blink of an eye.

I mean, Matt showed them a crashed Church WARship. They knew from Caleb that if Ludinus saw the airship, it was probably getting shot down, and they knew that the dust storm, which MAYBE offered some cover could have ended at any moment. There were a lot of a giant screaming sirens saying "Your airship suicide run plan is probably doomed to fail," and the party didn't convey any of that information back to Team Airship, even when Orym was contacted. It was a bad gamble to take, and unsurprisingly they lost.

This feels like a case of "we know it's a bad plan, but we can't think of anything else."

ApeHawk posted:

Seeing as how all the guest PCs were either severely bound or alpha striked, the ridiculously high DCs, and the fact that most of the prep they did didn't matter in the slightest, Matt likely railroaded these turn of events.

Yes, they rolled extremely poorly, but it was headed this way no matter what

Oh yeah. Going up against all those powerful characters, who are backed by a literal army and giant robots at level 8? And one of the characters soloed the whole party by herself not very long ago? Not really a chance in hell they'd be able to pull off a clean victory. They did better than I expected, I grant, but no way were they going to stop this.

Matt also abruptly ended the fight after a single round, so the party only had one final chance to interfere, and well, the dice said no.

EDIT: Bell's Hells also did themselves no favors by bringing Ira onto the airship, but never thinking about taking him on one of Imogen's dream-walks so he could get a good close-up look at the device, like Matt was having him hinting at. That could have provided useful intelligence about where to hit. That doesn't necessarily mean it would have helped, given that the site was heavily guarded and they were able to find some of the clusters on their own quickly, but it could have say, allowed Fearne justification for using Stonky's ring on the dodecahedron.

Ludinus's plan probably explains why Otohan stomped the party so hard. Matt built her to be able to take on a level 20 Druid.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 14, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
imo they coulda beaten otohan if Ashton survived the first round and if they didn't all do their weird scatter plan.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The way I'd handle something like this in a campaign is roughly how I'd guess Matt handled it:
1. If the PCs don't do something, the villains succeed.
2. The circumstances essentially make it impossible for the PCs to entirely ruin the villains' plans. They've had too long to prepare and have set up too many defenses and they're all going to be on site to make sure the plan goes off. Their attempts thus have two effects: to partially ruin the villains' plans, and to cost the villains dearly in the process of carrying their plans out.
3. Even if the PCs get very lucky and roll very well, they don't prevent something from happening. The very best case sees one or more villains defeated or turned and the results are effectively out of anyone's control. For example, I expect that if Imogen convinced her mom to fight the plan at the last second, Ludinus would have still been able to trigger the mirror trap but it would have cost him something.

And you can see that the plans were partially ruined and that the villains did pay a price. The airship plan alone cost Ludinus dearly: we don't know what that blackened hand indicates, but somehow I suspect he's holding massive amounts of magic within himself and he suffered permanent physical damage as well as killing a substantial fraction of his followers to keep the crash from ruining his plan. At a guess, the Feywild is completely insulated from events because the PCs ruined that part of the plan, and the Shadowfell may or may not be similarly protected. Instead of Ludinus bringing Predathos to the world immediately, he seems to have only weakened its imprisonment; presumably its followers can now escape, and fragments of it may be able to act, but at best there's been a small opening and not a complete shattering of the protections.

I'll add that the other gods were certainly never going to break their own rules and intervene directly. Another guaranteed calamity would definitely be more destructive than a partially-successful release of Predathos. For that matter, perhaps it's possible to banish or defeat it for good, and the gods are more concerned with putting the right people in place to achieve that than with exerting all their power to prevent the events seen in this episode from happening.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

CONTENT

Nothing too surprising here, other than Omar continuing to be a good boy

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
So Ashton gets Brutal Critical, Orym gets Indomitable, FCG and Imogen get one fifth-level spell slot, and all of them get +1 proficiency bonus

For the multiclass folks, Chetney, Fearne and Laudna get ASI/Feats. Fearne also gets a wildshape improvement

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Omar, of course, doesn't need to roll because he is already Lv. 20.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
All sitting at the same table so I think the next session will be focused on establishing communication between the groups and next objectives. Chetney is close to Uthodurn and FCG is relatively close to the ruins of Aeor, maybe Aeormatons have setup a neighborhood in Uthodurn?

I still am not really sure where Orym, Laudna, and Ashton are.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they copy the Slayer's Take arc by keeping the party separate and filling the holes with guests

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AngryBooch posted:

All sitting at the same table so I think the next session will be focused on establishing communication between the groups and next objectives. Chetney is close to Uthodurn and FCG is relatively close to the ruins of Aeor, maybe Aeormatons have setup a neighborhood in Uthodurn?

I still am not really sure where Orym, Laudna, and Ashton are.

I think Orym, Laudna, and Ashton are still fairly close to where they were, or at least they were in a desert so they are more than likely still on the same continent.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Probably unrelated, but I find it interesting that Liam and Marisha are together on one team when their older characters have all been involved in the fight too. Possible return appearance? Unlikely, but more possible than if they had been split off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Froghammer posted:

CONTENT

Nothing too surprising here, other than Omar continuing to be a good boy

As someone that barely knows the rules of D&D, Laudna went from a CON of 15 to a CON 19. An ASI as I understand only gives you a +2 to a stat so wondering how she gained a +4 and a rather hefty HP jump?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As someone that barely knows the rules of D&D, Laudna went from a CON of 15 to a CON 19. An ASI as I understand only gives you a +2 to a stat so wondering how she gained a +4 and a rather hefty HP jump?

She got an Amulet of Health from Bassuras in a recent episode, which sets her CON to 19.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

She got an Amulet of Health from Bassuras in a recent episode, which sets her CON to 19.

Must have missed that. Thanks :)

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Finally caught up after taking a month and a half break from CR, it was starting to get a bit like burnout, what a ride to come back to lmao.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm about half way through episode 51 and have a question someone in the thread can hopefully answer: they've just engaged Otahan, and the magic disrupters appear to have just exploded. I thought I had missed something and have gone back about an hour, but haven't come across any of the cast doing anything to them. Was it just Beau and Caleb destroying them, and that's what Matt had Liam and Marisha rolling for at one point? Or have I actually missed something while I listen to the episode as I do other things?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm about half way through episode 51 and have a question someone in the thread can hopefully answer: they've just engaged Otahan, and the magic disrupters appear to have just exploded. I thought I had missed something and have gone back about an hour, but haven't come across any of the cast doing anything to them. Was it just Beau and Caleb destroying them, and that's what Matt had Liam and Marisha rolling for at one point? Or have I actually missed something while I listen to the episode as I do other things?
You got it right.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Senjuro posted:

You got it right.

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't want to resume the episode until I knew that. I don't mind missing some small details, but that felt like a bit too big a gap for comfort when I wasn't sure exactly what was going on.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Most of the +Stat magic items in 5th edition aren't additive bonuses, it's a flat adjustment. Belt of giant strength just flatly adjusts you to 21-29 strength while attuned and worn depending on the rarity for example.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DeathSandwich posted:

Most of the +Stat magic items in 5th edition aren't additive bonuses, it's a flat adjustment. Belt of giant strength just flatly adjusts you to 21-29 strength while attuned and worn depending on the rarity for example.

That's what it used to do back in AD&D as well. Makes sense for something like that.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:frogsiren: Campaign 3 Episode 52 is airing very soon! You'd better watch it, or else the moon will get you!!! :frogsiren:

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
So the next 4-Sided Dive is going to be 100% "What the gently caress is Up With That," y/y?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Abroham Lincoln posted:

:frogsiren: Campaign 3 Episode 52 is airing very soon! You'd better watch it, or else the moon will get you!!! :frogsiren:

Tonight's episode to be rebroadcast on Local 58

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Since he showed up in the level-up video people (Me) are speculating that Laudna got Hound of Ill Omen and Marisha plans to use him as a demonstration :v:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
oh hell yeah, we're half a party down

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
aaaaaaaa etc

edit: lmao, Matt is finally done with weird Sending quirks from characters

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
And of course, now that they aren't in a climactic fight, they finally roll high

EDIT: Yeah, Matt's very patiently telling them "stop trying to use Sending, I separated y'all for a reason"

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 17, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i wish we didn't have to do survival mechanics and 'random' encounters every time

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Jesus christ Matt

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I can sense guests coming. I feel it in my bones.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Froghammer posted:

I can sense guests coming. I feel it in my bones.

There's no way he'd throw a Behir at 4 lvl 9 players without something being up.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Keru posted:

There's no way he'd throw a Behir at 4 lvl 9 players without something being up.

He's a big Boi

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Mini Behir? only 6 limbs but has the look

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ruh roh

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hope this is some jrpg boss forced-loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

eke out posted:

hope this is some jrpg boss forced-loss

hooray, the worst mechanic of all rpgs of all time, surely the audience will love that