Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Al! posted:

i'm selling these fine leather jackets

oh man we're old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Al! posted:

college teaches you how to bullshit old white people and bully underpaid administrators and it doesnt matter if its google or chatgpt, as long as you learn the lesson

uh oh, I’m at the wrong school then

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
imo grades are bullshit, students should produce a portfolio of work that demonstrates their competency for when that's necessary

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Al! posted:

i'm selling these fine leather jackets

In Arizona? you’ll be out of business in a week’s time!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Libya lost some uranium I guess?? Throw it onto the pile.

natural uranium is about as exciting as any other 10 tons of rocks, but with slightly more cancer risk

it takes a lot of industry to turn it into something more substantial than a minor regulatory headache or a clickbait headline

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think students should be judged based on their merit, their preparedness, and their natural instincts at cheating

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Oglethorpe posted:

[doomsday economics] Cost of credit derivatives are blowing out Credit Suissy

suissey baka

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol suisse missed is right there. goddammit

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

wtf Number dropped less than 1% today the swiss government saying “nuh uh it’s chill” had better not cancel the apocalypse :colbert:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

imo grades are bullshit, students should produce a portfolio of work that demonstrates their competency for when that's necessary

art school but for STEM. I thought the joke would write itself but honestly not the worst idea?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My partner is grading English papers and the question is just, "What do you think about the readings? Make an argument, any argument."

And an overwhelming majority of the kids just write a (lovely) book report. "Romeo loved Juliet, and then..."

The few that ask for feedback are basically just trying to sus out the "right answer."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

silentsnack posted:

natural uranium is about as exciting as any other 10 tons of rocks, but with slightly more cancer risk

it takes a lot of industry to turn it into something more substantial than a minor regulatory headache or a clickbait headline

The clickbait headline specifies it wasn't natural uranium rocks and was already partially processed uranium ore concentrate

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

one day closer to the next bank death

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The clickbait headline specifies it wasn't natural uranium rocks and was already partially processed uranium ore concentrate

yellow cake gone missing in libya? it really is 2008 all over again

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the only lesson the government learned from 2008 is that you can always pump the balloon bigger. never let the collapse happen while you're minding the store!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

JamesKPolk posted:

art school but for STEM. I thought the joke would write itself but honestly not the worst idea?

As an art school graduate, honestly in high school I spent the entire time working towards a portfolio that would get me a scholarship and it did (still had to pay a lot) but it was definitely coherent and good. I had a real goal to work towards instead of just floundering and just swimming with the current

I absolutely think everyone should get a balanced set of classes though. like i wouldn't say going all through to calculus was useful to me but algebra 1 and geometry? yes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

My brother is just finishing out his PhD, and he's been in a semester long fight with the department because students will fight tooth and nail over their grades now, despite their work not being very good, clearly copying each other, lazily plagiarizing etc. etc. The department wants them to be graded, not on a curve, but based on how good that work is for them, which seems paternalistic and condescending first of all, and requires him to somehow get to know 100+ students over the course of a semester. The advice he's getting is what I've heard people grumbling about elsewhere: forget academic integrity, or wissenschaft, or any of that poo poo, just get these kids out the door, degree in hand.

Basically, a B now is a readable series of paragraphs in English that were not copy-pasted from wikipedia and communicate some sort of idea. They just want this cadre out, and hope that kids who finish high school in person post-pandemic will do better. I don't think that's likely, but it shows that with or without ChatGPT, things are not going well.

One thing he said, he's in a more "scientific" field than I am, is that CS students in particular, engineers generally, see all school work more or less as problems that you work on collaboratively, calculate, copy the correct answer, whatever, rather than individual inquiry. So, as it was relayed to me, ChatGPT seems miraculous because it "knows" things the same way they do, it's just more efficient at looking it up. I don't mean to condescend, I have no idea how to code, I'm not good at math, precisely because those things require me to think differently than I'm used to. Theory, research and literature I like, calculations and process, I have no stomach for.

If this is the difference between disciplines, with one taking the approach that problems are formulaic, there's an answer that just needs to be punched in, and the better you are at that the smarter you are, that makes sense. Because our economic system privileges one, and has probably privileged that mode of thought as well. If you are the kind of person who believes in min-maxing your life, sees education as job training and so the liberal arts as worthless, you aren't wrong. I mean, you are wrong of course, in how things should be, but writing brilliant essays does not get you hired out of university to make $100k a year. There are skills and patterns of thought than can get you recruited by a SV company, where you will use them to think in the same way, and make lots of money, further affirming how smart you are. It makes sense that these people are the ones who most believe ChatGPT has real intelligence, and also why they would be the ones taking its prediction of a market crash to heart.

I don't mean to denigrate them per se, I can see how that happened.

My wife graduated summa cum laude from three prestigious universities and has saved both her textbooks and some of her work. Now, I'm not saying I could be an economist, but you're writing papers in response to a textbook that argues:

Ideology aside, in my opinion that's not a university level reading and comes across as borderline insulting but that's what we're working with here, and the people who did really well in that class are considered the smartest in society. Which is appropriate, because if you believe they're the smartest, you probably also believe that the system described therein is the most fair and efficient allocation of resources.

Those are the people who are talking about AI. Now of course, since I'm working from the assumption that belief in AI, success in the economic system and belief in the economic system are intertwined, basically because this is who the universities have been, if not incentivized to produce, than who find the greatest success after graduating, the AI predicting the economy will collapse to people who have a, shall I say antimaterialist worldview, is perfect because they're the most likely to believe it, their economic position is based on these beliefs, the economic position ensures that their actions will have consequences on the market as a whole. Yet, if they panic and tank the market, they will only understand that as a prophesy fulfilled because everything in their lives has led them to this point and they aren't going to question those assumptions.

I mean, they're literally unable to comprehend real reasons why computer programers are paid more than gas station attendants other than they are smarter and better deserving, because that's more or less what they've been taught since Marx was driven from the academy, they're not going to change their entire understanding of society now. They'll just tank the markets and believe that it was cosmically ordained and foreseen by an oracle. Mind you, a gas station attendant probably wouldn't.

Glad to hear things remain largely the same at colleges

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jon Irenicus posted:

the only lesson the government learned from 2008 is that you can always pump the balloon bigger. never let the collapse happen while you're minding the store!

this fukkin country and its balloon obsessions

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

My partner is grading English papers and the question is just, "What do you think about the readings? Make an argument, any argument."

And an overwhelming majority of the kids just write a (lovely) book report. "Romeo loved Juliet, and then..."

The few that ask for feedback are basically just trying to sus out the "right answer."

the problem imo isnt that they're writing lovely book reports, it's that they're afraid of being wrong (and relatedly, afraid of getting a bad grade because of being wrong) so they write the most inane, safest thing they can think of

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
if wells fargo could fall over before the end of the week that would be great

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

ore concentrate is still just tangy rocks yo

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Justin Tyme posted:

the problem imo isnt that they're writing lovely book reports, it's that they're afraid of being wrong (and relatedly, afraid of getting a bad grade because of being wrong) so they write the most inane, safest thing they can think of

It's super cool when you have teachers who make it clear "Write something interesting and if you can make a logical argument with supporting info with in the book, you can go wild"

We used to just make up the craziest poo poo about writer/character motivations and as long as we had solid grammar and supporting statements our teacher would basically at least give us a B for trying and beacuse they were sick of reading the same poo poo over and over again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What was that CIA front bank that was run out of Pakistan. Does that one still exist

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What caused the issues at Credit Suisse?

I assume there is not a financial bomb like there was with mortgage backed securities in 2008.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

I think the issues is "who will read it?".

All military career courses including the Masters of Defence Studies here, require students to write an autobiography for the course staff. On the students' side, these biographies have been turned into a series of stock phrases designed to convey XYZ. It's a series of boxes that are ticked and written in a certain style. I suppose like those Victorian letters of introduction. Which ultimately means the autobiography conveys absolutely nothing about the student other than they are adept at telling people what they think they want to hear, in the correct form they believe they want to see it in. I can't remember how many of these I've written myself, but other than my very first one, when I was coming from the outside and did not know how the game was played, I don't think I said anything I would say was "true" to myself, on some personal level, even though factually everything contained within was true. The qualities were all inane, I suppose you could say not meaningful to me as an individual, but meaningful for me to demonstrate. They were true and defensible, I do have a sense of idk patriotism, I think punctuality is important (again, professionally and not personally), and believe in the importance of teamwork. That doesn't actually mean anything, do you see what I'm saying?

Mind you, the night we cadets were all writing ours, the staff did the rounds to make sure that anyone who was having difficulty knew what should be in them. Do you see what I'm driving at? Even from the beginning, it's not that people weren't smart and didn't know how to write an autobiography, I wouldn't say they were the bottom of our class in intelligence, the reason they were helped out was that it was never about autobiography anyways. They just had to do what was expected of them, which is the real skill being developed, and this is how autobiography writing quickly becomes a game of meeting expectations and not any actual insight into the character of any individual candidate.

On the staff side, I must have read hundreds of these. For the aforementioned reasons, they are all the same, if not in substance than in form. If I was instructing on a course that required some rank or expertise, anybody taking it had already been in the military for a while anyway, so they all knew what they should write, which meant they had it down to a science. Not an art, mind you, the science of military autobiographical writing. Now, I'm sure you all know that book How to Read Literature Like a Professor. In this case, because I knew that nothing substantial was in the autobiographies, I didn't read them as autobiographies, how could you? It became about questions like: is it the appropriate length? Do they give their hometown? Do they say what their previous posting was? Hey, does so-and-so know this guy? Because the information given in them wasn't autobiographical in nature, the information sought from them wasn't either.

Which is a very long winded way to say, when we play games like this, no portfolio that's produced is really reflective of more than the ability to demonstrate what they believe they need to for the evaluation.

I've heard US college admission personal essays are sort of the same way, only the students are playing a different game. Identities are boxes that need to be ticked for admission, so they become the focus of the essay, which means it's not really an autobiographical reflection on how sexuality, race, gender, shaped that student's life, so much as what they believe they need to emphasize to get into school. I'm sure the neurodivergent CIA agent wrote an admissions essay like that, and, when she had to write an autobiographical essay for their recruitment process, it was much the same. She was able to both get into a good school and a very competitive career, so it "worked", but is it "true"? I would say no, obviously, but once you give Strivers a set of instructions that's what they're going to do, fulfil the letter and not the spirit, so I don't know how to get around it.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Mar 15, 2023

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was that CIA front bank that was run out of Pakistan. Does that one still exist

no BCCI is long gone.

A hell of a story to read up on though. I'd be very surprised if there isn't another bank that fills the same role in the world today; it just makes too much sense from a big level state crimes perspective.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/JackFarley96/status/1636086364520214528

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Raccooon posted:

What caused the issues at Credit Suisse?

I assume there is not a financial bomb like there was with mortgage backed securities in 2008.

when you money laundering, 2 books are kept. extrapolate from there

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

Maybe that's bad news for people in this thread who constantly scream for blood, but it's good news for literally everyone else.

username post combo also GET OUT

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:yeshaha:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

wow so i guess years of zero interest rates just front loaded a bunch of garbage bonds and now there’s no way to flush that poo poo out of the system

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

EXCESS BLOOD EXCESS BLOOD

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Al! posted:

college teaches you how to bullshit old white people and bully underpaid administrators and it doesnt matter if its google or chatgpt, as long as you learn the lesson

Go to a prestigious enough school and you don't even need to learn to do either of these things, people will just respond to you with respect/fear automatically once they know where your degree is from.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

hmmm troubling that all these banks seem to have too little money…

JAAAAYY!!!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Nonsense posted:

EXCESS BLOOD EXCESS BLOOD

about to take the economy from T to M for blood and gore

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is the kinda poo poo people peeped on credit suisse before today so yea lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

extremely funny if true

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

bofa deez unrealized losses

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

swiss central bank. stand back and stand by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

bofa deez ruts