Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Man I know crossplay is gonna be hard to implement but they really need cross-save. Gamepass population seems a bit dire. I can fairly consistently get quick diff3 matches but 4s and 5s are sparse.

CaptainAssholay posted:

I'm not sure how sparse it is compared to Steam but I know during normal business hours in the day, getting a Damnation match going is a pain.

Anecdotally, it's been way easier to get full lobbies in the last few weeks on Steam. I wonder how many new consistent players the sale and patch brought in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Steam community is super alive right now, easy damnation games almost 24/7 - can't wait for the pop to get bigger if they actually drop some new content / make more improvements

The whole gamepass/steam being different is so weird to me and stupid, I understand it after that goon gave the explanation but its inexplicable to me. "yea we have this giant live community game btw we have 2 separate communities"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Haha, high intensity damnation does not screw around, oh you thought you were done with that midway event? how about 3 groups of 6 shotgunners each rushing into the room.

Can also confirm that the Antax Mk5 axe is godlike with brutal momentum and a damage blessing..

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
yoooooo fuckin melk just sold me a vraks mk3 headhunter and this poo poo is legit, it's the perfect middle ground between the agrappina braced auto and the kantrael mk12. surprisingly accurate hipfire up to medium distance unlike the lasgun, can actually hit distant targets unlike the braced auto, very damaging and chews through any target and crowds, good ammo count if slower reloads, and unlike the vraks mk7 the burstfire doesnt kill my index finger from endless clicking. recoil is extremely manageable too, and my copy rolled v. maniac plus no respite which i understand is actually pretty good. all i need to do is get v.flak and crucian on this and it might honestly supplant my lasgun as the precision weapon of choice

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

big cummers ONLY posted:

Imagine how dead your brain would be, and how easy it would be to not register the hit until you'd already rerolled it again

Lol seriously traumatic flashbacks to hunting for 18s at chargen in baldurs gate

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Shotgunners really back a punch in higher difficulties when they’re pretty ignorable in the lower ones

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Shotgunners really back a punch in higher difficulties when they’re pretty ignorable in the lower ones

They are absolutely run enders on damnation. Its like Bulwarks > Shotgunners > Bombers > Gunners > Disablers

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I swapped out of using the flamer and have been trying anything that's quick enough to pull out, and also good enough at killing them/staggering them in short time. It has been making things so much more smoother on damnation.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jerkface posted:

They are absolutely run enders on damnation. Its like Bulwarks > Shotgunners > Bombers > Gunners > Disablers

Something I've been learning as I've taken a break from my absurdly overpowered pistol vet lately and leveled my Psyker is that about 3/4 of teams on difficulty 3+ will fail if there is not someone prioritizing Bulwarks and Bombers. In my experience, this is something that Ogryns and Zealots will absolutely never do under any circumstances, and that the vast majority of Vets will not do, leaving it up to the Psykers (most of which are too busy with a flamethrower staff they never switch away from). If I do not fully prioritize head popping bulwarks and bombers my team is almost guaranteed to wipe.

The bombers don't even do damage, it's just that the majority of players will patiently wait in a hallway for several consecutive minutes while a bomber throws fire to block the hallway, then more bombers pile on and huge waves come.

I've also noticed that sub-30 players tend to ignore Bulwarks entirely and they will happily let 2-3 bulwarks walk past them uncontested to harass the psyker in the back that's trying to head pop them :v:

Luckily I have definitively learned that there is no melee enemy in the game that can actually hit you as long as you keep chaining backward dashes together, as long as you don't back into a wall you're golden.

Another frustrating thing I've been noticing is how often players will stop to pick up a player whose downed body is being actively shot by a gunner, so the player gets upped then immediately dropped to 5 HP.

It's too bad Psyker staves are so bad at low levels because they'd solve a lot of the problems sub-30 teams have but they're virtually unusable until level 25+ish

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 15, 2023

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

FrancisFukyomama posted:

One of the reasons I pick the 75% damage reduction using the ultimate ability is shotgunners. Being able to immediately pop that upon seeing them, as even across the room they will easily shred you, is really helpful on Damnation.

Also did Vermintide 2 have any kind of horde survival/defense mode? I feel like that's something that might be fun with some extras thrown in.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Lassitude posted:

Also did Vermintide 2 have any kind of horde survival/defense mode? I feel like that's something that might be fun with some extras thrown in.

Yeah, fortune of War. You had to unlock it by doing some secrets though

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You know fatshark might of had a point about hiding scores, already come across 2 people tonight, veteran players of course, making GBS threads on others for having lower scores.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Man, flamethrower enemies were jokes until you have to deal with 3 of them hiding behind a horde on Damnation. They just took turns herding us into a corner while ogryns soaked up all the shots meant for them.

Now I kinda want to see how painful they'd be if you let them fire on the move like gunners.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
My favorite thing about the autopistol is when it’s powered up it just tosses armored enemies around

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I do wish normal flamers dealt damage normally, not instantaneously pop your entire toughness bar on the first tic of damage. Save that feature for tox flamers, to make them more threatening.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've also noticed that sub-30 players tend to ignore Bulwarks entirely and they will happily let 2-3 bulwarks walk past them uncontested to harass the psyker in the back that's trying to head pop them :v:
This is why I run double-dash on my Zealot. Charge forward to take out gunner groups, then charge back to save the rear line from shieldybois who magically appear out of thin air and aren't focused by the team.
TBH bulwarks and berserkers are also why I prefer the heavy chainsword over axes. That special revved attack animation sawing through a chonky enemy keeps them stationary for a good second and a half or so, which gives the team that much more time to notice and focus down the threat.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've honestly become a big Thunderhammer enjoyer. With the right blessings you can really effortless manage hordes and knock back ragers enough to bop them with a light special, or if they're by themselves you can just one shot them with a heavy special. Bulwarks are easy to deal with two, one light special to knock away their shield, animation cancel into another light special to start killing them. Or just use a nade and heavy special to kill them.

I do want to try out a headtaker + thrust TH at some point to see how wild the damage could get on a boss, but headtaker + momentum feels the best for letting you stay healthy vs mixed hordes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ChickenHeart posted:

Man, flamethrower enemies were jokes until you have to deal with 3 of them hiding behind a horde on Damnation. They just took turns herding us into a corner while ogryns soaked up all the shots meant for them.

Now I kinda want to see how painful they'd be if you let them fire on the move like gunners.

They buffed them recently so they start flaming much faster which actually has made them way more of a threat - i kill them immediately now because you no longer have time to saunter up and melee them

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bulwarks can be a real pain in the rear end for melee characters. Between latency and the fact that the game is extremely ungenerous about what 'counts' as the shield surface area means unless you have room to manuver it can be very challenging to kill them in a thick hoard. I've circled all the way around a bulwark and still hit their shield before. If there's a big hoard, even if you have an opening, you're going to hit a random poxwalker instead of the bulwark. So yeah, sometimes I'll prioritize other specials or even regulars over a bulwark because all things being equal I want to kill the one I know I can kill instead of biffing five attacks against a bulwark while a rager chews my rear end in a top hat.

At least on Damnation. They're easy enough to deal with on their own on lower difficulties.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Currently I'm playing and clearing Heresy level missions on both psyker and ogryn (I mention this because not sure if diff levels effect their mechanics plus hero types). Anyone have tips on how to avoid Mutant chargers? Last night I literally circled a pillar as a psyker thinking that would be enough to dodge and the motherfucker lost no steam circling the pillar probably 270 degrees to grab my rear end.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's totally understandable but what I've realized as a Psyker is how few players are willing to "screen" for their squishy psyker buddies (myself included when I'm playing vet). If there's a Psyker in your group head popping the bulwarks, the best thing you can do is shoot/swing at the bulwark's shield to tie them up and give the psyker time to head pop. Of course, it's more complicated because if the person focusing Bulwarks in your group is e.g. a vet, you are making their job impossible by shooting/swinging at the shield.

I feel generally much less effective playing Psyker than I do as any other class and it's not because the class is necessarily weak - when I'm left uncontested I feel like a god. It's just that even one single infected leaking past my teammates has a good chance of killing me (or chunking 60% of my HP off in a single swing while I'm casting a brain burst and can't hear the audio cue) and it's much harder as a Psyker to drop what you're doing and weapon switch to deal with them, and doing so significantly hampers my offensive ability in combat for several seconds. So it's the class that has made me realize that other players in this game generally absolutely do not give a single poo poo about enemies leaking past them to get to their teammates.

Which I get, having played other classes, because they're all much more flexible about switching to the thing that leaked past their teammates to protect themselves. But it's that attitude (I can't damage the bulwark so I'm not going to fight it) that makes things hard as a Psyker - because the Psyker absolutely wants you to fight it ineffectively for just like one second while they cast a brain burst on it.

The number of times I've died because I was standing back-to-back with someone holding off enemies from two directions, and they decided to just walk away mid-horde and let the enemies they were fighting off crowd my back and then I got instagibbed, is just silly and I've had to learn that effective psyker play means do not ever be near your teammates, because they don't understand how squishy you are - you have to be lagging behind sniping the dangerous things or else your team will get you killed. On any other class when that happens I just turn around and start blasting and I'm fine. But it's fine being on your own as a Psyker because you can take the talent that makes quelling peril give you toughness back, so you don't need the cohesion toughness regen, and you can brainburst dogs/trappers before they reach you :hellyeah:

e: I'm sure this changes drastically at 30 with a sick staff though. Psyker while leveling is like "Enjoy spending two full seconds charging up every attack you use"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 15, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

deep dish peat moss - my humble view is that brain burst sucks rear end most of the time, I'll only really pull it out for long range threats like snipers or reapers if I have nothing else to deal with, or if I've just popped my level 30 skill that reduces cast time and peril gained. For bulwarks, ragers, etc I just CC the everliving gently caress outta them with my surge staff, or sometimes my flamer purgatus staff but honestly I prefer the surge for the ability to shoot mid/long range with left click and also that it's CC is better and my screen is less covered in blue fire.

Force sword with special attack deletes ragers of course but getting around the shield is tough so yeah I typically just CC them for the team to kill, although if I'm lower peril I can kill a bulwark with just surge lightning too.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

tangy yet delightful posted:

Currently I'm playing and clearing Heresy level missions on both psyker and ogryn (I mention this because not sure if diff levels effect their mechanics plus hero types). Anyone have tips on how to avoid Mutant chargers? Last night I literally circled a pillar as a psyker thinking that would be enough to dodge and the motherfucker lost no steam circling the pillar probably 270 degrees to grab my rear end.

last second side dodge is the only way to trigger the actual miss for it, don't think there's a difference for characters.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Bulwarks arms count as carapace so you might think you are still hitting shield but clipped the side of their arms for blue sparks and 1 damage.
Bulwarks require both a knowledge check and gear check to deal with so it's no surprise lots of people leave them alone hoping their teammates are able to make the problem go away for them.

On top of that unattended bulwarks in your teammates faces essentially can act as disablers if they can't kill them by themselves and can't run away from them which makes them incredibly dangerous if they are also protecting anything like poxwalkers or ragers or specials behind that shield.

For that reason I highly value any weapon that can open up or knock bulwarks on their rear end easily and I think it's one of the places the power sword struggles because it will be hard to have it charged up during their brief window to attack back.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 15, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

haldolium posted:

last second side dodge is the only way to trigger the actual miss for it, don't think there's a difference for characters.

Yup this is it, line up with the mutant and side step dodge. They turn on a dime but once they actually get to the end of the charge they will run straight through if they are targeting you.

https://i.imgur.com/H0v2ySp.mp4

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mendrian posted:

Bulwarks can be a real pain in the rear end for melee characters. Between latency and the fact that the game is extremely ungenerous about what 'counts' as the shield surface area means unless you have room to manuver it can be very challenging to kill them in a thick hoard. I've circled all the way around a bulwark and still hit their shield before. If there's a big hoard, even if you have an opening, you're going to hit a random poxwalker instead of the bulwark. So yeah, sometimes I'll prioritize other specials or even regulars over a bulwark because all things being equal I want to kill the one I know I can kill instead of biffing five attacks against a bulwark while a rager chews my rear end in a top hat.

At least on Damnation. They're easy enough to deal with on their own on lower difficulties.

Bulwarks can be a pain in the rear end for anyone besides Psykers with their annoying shielding mechanics. It's dumb as hell it's based on a 180 degree arc vs player position instead of against the shield model. I sure do love when I'm shooting them from the side at an area clearly not covered by the shield and hitting the shield because I'm still considered in front of them.

Position yourself such that when facing the mutant your back is against a wall or a ledge. That way if you miss the dodge you won't take damage. The mutant will just spin 180 and throw you away from the wall/ledge.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

haldolium posted:

Jerkface posted:

Yup this is it, line up with the mutant and side step dodge. They turn on a dime but once they actually get to the end of the charge they will run straight through if they are targeting you.

https://i.imgur.com/H0v2ySp.mp4

.Z. posted:

Position yourself such that when facing the mutant your back is against a wall or a ledge. That way if you miss the dodge you won't take damage. The mutant will just spin 180 and throw you away from the wall/ledge.
Excellent thanks for the infos.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

One bonus as a Psyker is that lightning staff will stop a mutant charge dead and so that's something that can buy you time

Other folks have demonstrated the side juke good

On Ogryn since the side dodge is tougher because of Ogryn large hit box the easiest solution is to throw a large hurt box and grenade the mutant because it's usually far faster than trying to melee down 3000 HP on Heresy and 4000 HP on Damnation

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

40 Proof Listerine posted:

One bonus as a Psyker is that lightning staff will stop a mutant charge dead and so that's something that can buy you time

Other folks have demonstrated the side juke good

On Ogryn since the side dodge is tougher because of Ogryn large hit box the easiest solution is to throw a large hurt box and grenade the mutant because it's usually far faster than trying to melee down 3000 HP on Heresy and 4000 HP on Damnation

lightning mage best mage. The slowdown of everything is so helpful in tense situations.

flame staff not only leaves the room full of half burned hard to see walkers that are not dead, but also has annoying fx which is just too bright and fucks visibility as individual flame fx is not a light source just selflit textures so they blind. hope it will get an overhaul at some point

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

My god I have to pat myself on the back for this, I just had one of the hardest hard carry games you can possibly imagine:

Shotgun vet + lightning mage + ogryn who got DCed and replaced with a flamer psyker in the final stage. Chasm Logistratum carry the 5 things mission. This vet was absolutely brain dead, wading into hordes with a chainsword far out away from any objective and dying, sitting on 3 ammo constantly with his shotgun and ignoring ammo callouts but not going for any penance because he'd grab ammo whenever his braindead rear end saw them. The ogryn was great until he got DCed and we had a bot for the last third until the finale when we got a psyker who also died immediately upon spawning in which was great. Everyone except me died at least once, I'm the only one to never even go down, 3 dead at one point in the finale with the respawn across the map through double sniper, double bomber, dreg shooter spawn.

Flamer was insanely clutch this game and antax combat axe just carried carried carried at all times didn't stop chopping. Healed to full multiple times off the hi-intense hordes.

Absolute stresser and blast to play. I've actually won I think my last 5 out of 6 hi-intensity missions??? I have been mashing quickplay recently since i don't care what map I get with the new contracts and you'd be surprised at how often ppl are queuing for high intensity.

I will say if you want to make an impact on Damnation difficulty - you have to learn to play the objective. If you're in a group and theres a horde but you have an objective to do, fight your way to the objective. There were times where I am cutting a path through the bad guys, clearing it all with my flamer, brutally momentuming scores of bad guys and I turn around and 2 of my dipshit teammates are a mile away for some reason even though I pinged multiple times to move and was methodical about making my way towards my ping. Or like 3 of us are doing the objective and one of them is just fighting for no reason out of cover with a horde.

Sometimes you just need to sprint your rear end to your teammates. I understand getting trapped sometimes, but this group was hopeless. We had 4 cannisters on the right side (unlucky) and I brought all 4 out and got 2 up on the ledge without any assistance.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 16, 2023

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Scoreboard is really teaching me how completely out of whack the flamethrower is.

Anybody who has a flamer will top the charts pmuch every time. It's pretty much the best weapon in the game.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Brain burst could do 300% more damage and it would still be mediocre, that's how crap it is.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Mendrian posted:

Scoreboard is really teaching me how completely out of whack the flamethrower is.

Anybody who has a flamer will top the charts pmuch every time. It's pretty much the best weapon in the game.

Best weapon at getting big scoreboard numbers right up until your party has 3 of them and there are 5 scattered gunners at long range

This is only half a joke, flamethrower (and flamestaff) are quite popular and I often see doubles in lobbies

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Captainicus posted:

Best weapon at getting big scoreboard numbers right up until your party has 3 of them and there are 5 scattered gunners at long range

This is only half a joke, flamethrower (and flamestaff) are quite popular and I often see doubles in lobbies

Yeah, this is exactly the issue. Flamer has excellent raw DPS in a lot of situations but the value of adding a second one is minimal and having 3+ is a serious liability. I never run one in pugs because if I had to choose between zero and too many, I’ll take the former every time.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
How's the game today, compared to release?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

surprisingly already much better, depending on your particular issues with it. Like no new maps, but mod support with great qol mods released, few good balancing patches for mage/ogryn/priest, crafting "complete" and a experimental beta which has eliminated crashes for me entirely even with RTX on.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

If your issue was GPU hangs on RTX3x hardware, possibly not much better. I try a mission every week or so to see if I can make it through without crashing, and somehow the last patch seems to have made it worse. There's an exp branch that supposedly fixes a lot of it but Ive not noticed much difference

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Re: bulwarks, they’re honestly a good enough reason by themselves to run Thunder Hammer on high difficulties. Yea, it can be tough to land the powered up shot, but other than a full bolter mag I can’t think of anything that takes them down faster. And reloading a bolter takes a lot longer than getting multiple powered up TH strikes in.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Magitek posted:

Yeah, this is exactly the issue. Flamer has excellent raw DPS in a lot of situations but the value of adding a second one is minimal and having 3+ is a serious liability. I never run one in pugs because if I had to choose between zero and too many, I’ll take the former every time.

This is why I ask in every lobby if any other zealots are using it, I'll swap off in that case. Its way too good for mixed hordes on damnation though, especially high intensity. Theres no other weapon really that can actually just kill everything on the screen and stop them from doing damage to your team. Its apparently in line for nerfs but I'm wondering what direction they will take. part of what makes it strong for zealot specifically is their ult allows the flame damage to penetrate carapace.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If they nerf it too much I'll scream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Flamethrower needs some kind of nerf for sure, but even I'm unsure how they could tap it down without hitting it. Lower the range potentially? It's def got a longer range than the staff, presumably because it has ammo as opposed to being infinite. Maybe nerf the ammo recovery, or tap the max ammo down a bit?

The other issue Jerkface mentioned is being able to melt carapace with it due to how Zealot charge interacts with reducing armor types. Maybe Fatshark will look at that and change it? Dunno how I'd feel about it being removed but I'd at least understand it.

The idea of someone shouting really loud making armor less effective is pretty funny though.