Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/15/virgin-orbit-pauses-operations-furloughs-staff.html

seems bad!

quote:

Virgin Orbit pauses operations for a week, furloughs nearly entire staff as it seeks funding

quote:

Virgin Orbit
is furloughing nearly all its employees and pausing operations for a week as it looks for a funding lifeline, people familiar with the matter told CNBC.

Company executives briefed staff on the situation in an all-hands meeting at 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday, according to people who were in the meeting. The furlough is unpaid, though employees can cash in PTO, with only a small team continuing to work. Virgin Orbit is also moving up payroll by a week to Friday.

In the all-hands, company leaders told employees that they aimed to provide an update on the furlough and funding situation by next Wednesday or Thursday, according to the people, who requested to remain anonymous to discuss internal matters.

Virgin Orbit did not immediately respond to CNBC’s requests for comment.

Shares of Virgin Orbit slipped 3% in after-hours trading from its close at $1.01 a share. The stock has slid steadily from its debut near $10 a share in December 2021.
The rocket-building company developed a system that uses a modified 747 jet to send satellites into space, by dropping a rocket from under the aircraft’s wing mid-flight. But the company’s last mission suffered a mid-flight failure, with an issue during the launch causing the rocket to not reach orbit and crash into the ocean.

Since the third quarter, the company has steadily brought in funds in the form of debt via Richard Branson’s Virgin Group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Green by close

Buddy, the futures aren't even in the green

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

just a suisse outside

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

Yup, they say failure is good and all that but in school that never seemed to be the case. You just got a bad grade and had to pull it up by somehow getting excellent grade, hell they'd barely go over why what you did was wrong or how to do it better, you got a bad grade and now you're bad, on to the next thing.

We surely have been half educating people. You said earlier college are waiting for the pandemic to graduate but uh, poo poo's gonna get a lot worse. COVID bodyslammed the public education system, already incredibly weakened by neoliberal rot, and I feel it is in terminal decline. Admins seem to have industry wide just completely given up and accepted that they're just here to make sure bodies are counted so they get funding. Teachers can get full on assaulted and be back in a couple days, and the parents to the extent they're involved at all, just show up to fight over grievances and make sure the school keeps taking their monsters off their hands. It's been deteriorating along these lines for over a decade and there has been and will never be, any action to correct it. At least with healthcare ,they can still get employees because it can still pay well, but public education is going to be shattered for good within a generation imo.

I just had ChatGPT "improve" the writing of the reply I typed out to "be more academic in style and tone", and as an aside, Christ it's overwrought. This is a dumb guy's idea of smart prose:

In these trying times, it seems that the prevailing opinion may be rooted in three principal causes:

1) The Covid lockdowns have become the scapegoat for all societal challenges, be they genuine or illusory.

2) There appears to be a dearth of solutions, save for the lamentable practice of advancing students out of sympathy.

3) A pressing need for hope remains, as the pressures of academia demand a semblance of progress, even as the specter of a faltering society looms.

Indeed, it is indisputable that the seeds of success are often sown in the earliest years of a child's life, nurtured by the loving hands of devoted parents and a passion for lifelong learning. Alas, the tempest of a fragmented society, compounded by the relentless onslaught of the pandemic, has obscured the path to enlightenment for many.

The hallowed halls of academia, once a bastion of intellectual pursuit, now serve as a refuge for those who seek social mobility rather than scholarly fulfillment. The promise of a stable future, once secured by a mere high school diploma, now demands the acquisition of increasingly prestigious degrees. This insatiable hunger for credentials has given rise to a generation of overeducated, underemployed individuals, caught in an intergenerational battle over the merits and follies of higher education.

Amidst this maelstrom, it is all too tempting to cling to the belief that, once the pandemic's shadow has lifted, normalcy shall return. We yearn for a time when our progeny can once again revel in the joys of literature, unfettered by the inadequacies of the educational system that has failed them.

The panic that has gripped the academy is not unlike the fear that was stirred by the advent of Wikipedia—a fear that, with access to such knowledge, our students would forgo the rigors of true scholarship. Yet it is not the tools themselves, but rather the deficiencies in our students' capabilities, that drive them to seek shortcuts.

In this somber reality, it seems that failing our youth would only compound their plight. The very society that neglected to nurture their minds now demands a level of achievement that seems increasingly unattainable. And so, we must ask ourselves: What, then, is to be done?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

zetamind2000 posted:

Buddy, the futures aren't even in the green

I don't even remember posting that. try to keep up.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
God this poo poo is just so fake and stupid.

Die already, tech startup industry.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Woke Mind Virus posted:

I don't even remember posting that. try to keep up.

I woke up early and earmarked it for closing

This is like the first time in forever the market didn't rally like gently caress near the end or after hours

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
has anyone said suissecide yet

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
are people itt stuffing cash in their mattresses yet

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/ruima/status/1636042033956786177?t=23D6EV_-hTbqQIDe5e3_cw&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

Have you mounted an armed resistance against the police?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I just had ChatGPT "improve" the writing of the reply I typed out to "be more academic in style and tone", and as an aside, Christ it's overwrought. This is a dumb guy's idea of smart prose:

In these trying times, it seems that the prevailing opinion may be rooted in three principal causes:

1) The Covid lockdowns have become the scapegoat for all societal challenges, be they genuine or illusory.

2) There appears to be a dearth of solutions, save for the lamentable practice of advancing students out of sympathy.

3) A pressing need for hope remains, as the pressures of academia demand a semblance of progress, even as the specter of a faltering society looms.

Indeed, it is indisputable that the seeds of success are often sown in the earliest years of a child's life, nurtured by the loving hands of devoted parents and a passion for lifelong learning. Alas, the tempest of a fragmented society, compounded by the relentless onslaught of the pandemic, has obscured the path to enlightenment for many.

The hallowed halls of academia, once a bastion of intellectual pursuit, now serve as a refuge for those who seek social mobility rather than scholarly fulfillment. The promise of a stable future, once secured by a mere high school diploma, now demands the acquisition of increasingly prestigious degrees. This insatiable hunger for credentials has given rise to a generation of overeducated, underemployed individuals, caught in an intergenerational battle over the merits and follies of higher education.

Amidst this maelstrom, it is all too tempting to cling to the belief that, once the pandemic's shadow has lifted, normalcy shall return. We yearn for a time when our progeny can once again revel in the joys of literature, unfettered by the inadequacies of the educational system that has failed them.

The panic that has gripped the academy is not unlike the fear that was stirred by the advent of Wikipedia—a fear that, with access to such knowledge, our students would forgo the rigors of true scholarship. Yet it is not the tools themselves, but rather the deficiencies in our students' capabilities, that drive them to seek shortcuts.

In this somber reality, it seems that failing our youth would only compound their plight. The very society that neglected to nurture their minds now demands a level of achievement that seems increasingly unattainable. And so, we must ask ourselves: What, then, is to be done?

lol that's every freshman I've ever taught

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Say what you will, but it absolutely nailed the academic tone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

company moved our banking info from svb to

get this

you will not loving believe it

credit suisse

Some things just aren't meant to be.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Have you mounted an armed resistance against the police?

i will read this as "if i did i wouldnt tell you"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sounds like total bullshit. The actual job of a CEO is to know other important people and generally be well-connected.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Frosted Flake posted:

I didn't mean to start a new page. One of my mentors once had to grade a 30 page paper written by a Hotep who had written "real" history of Egypt (in a class about the 6th century AD). Despite receiving an F, the student went over his professor's head to submit it to journals of antiquity, who promptly reached out to the school asking what the hell we were doing, which led to the school asking the department the same question. The department kept a copy of the paper, it's passed into legend and is still brought out whenever a new TA or adjunct is pulling their hair out or despairing at their students' work .

In terms of how he strung together historical information, the quality of his prose, ability to marry form and substance, engage with the scholarship, show a grasp of good historical writing, ChatGPT might have an edge, but I think there's another argument. It's possible that we've been half-educating people, at least at the high school level, for a while. I've been told, though I don't know if I agree or not, that most students don't really learn these skills until their Masters. Paradoxically, it means they are getting into grad school on the basis of memorizing the answers to fill out on scantrons.

So, you know, rather than ChatGPT becoming human, we've turned undergrads into ChatGPT and given up on really pushing them academically.

by the same coin, if chatgpt can write legal documents and aid lawyers in cases, it's not because the robot got good at being human but that the human judiciary system has been robotized to the point a machine can actually do it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its going to be like cyberpunk where everyone thinks they are irreplaceable until the AI does a hostile takeover of the company and fires the board.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
im going to start using chatgpt for my posts

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

err posted:

chatgpt is too wordy for cspam but might work well in d&d

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

err posted:

Well it's totally incapable of humor so it should be a good fit

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022
That isn’t a pro-AI statistic, that’s an anti-CEO statistic, LMAO.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Now this I can get onboard with. Get rid of C Suite assholes and replace them with AI.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Woke Mind Virus posted:

it's actually fine to have unrealized losses cause they intend to them to maturity and then they will make a profit. Only way this can go wrong is if there is a bank run.

Sounds like we need to tax unrealized losses

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

:razz:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nothus posted:

Credit QCS

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

err posted:

As an AI language model, ChatGPT is designed to generate text based on the input it receives. While it can be a helpful tool for generating ideas or providing information, it is not capable of understanding the specific culture and community of websites like Something Awful.

Using ChatGPT to make posts on Something Awful could result in posts that are inappropriate or offensive to the community, and may not be well-received by other users. Additionally, using AI-generated content could be seen as spamming or manipulating the community.

If you want to participate in the Something Awful community, it's important to take the time to understand the culture and rules of the site, and to create your posts and comments in your own words. This will help you build relationships with other users and contribute to a positive and engaging community.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Being CEO is too close to being a job, and therefore a worker - automate it all until there's no one left but the owners.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Nothus posted:

Yeah, lol at Bonesaw kicking this all off by cutting off Credit Sus

seems like a bad idea to owe that guy money but im not an extremely smart bank executive

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/TBraithwaite/status/1636075466980220928

go off king

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

lmfao

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

why can't they just say "actually we're gonna hold those AFS bonds to maturity" and make the balance sheet problem go away?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

why can't they just say "actually we're gonna hold those AFS bonds to maturity" and make the balance sheet problem go away?

i think that's what they do but now everyone is closely inspecting the game they play

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

JamesKPolk posted:

They can do that but if all the depositors want their money they have a real world problem

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Sounds like total bullshit. The actual job of a CEO is to know other important people and generally be well-connected.

that's not a job

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Frosted Flake posted:

My friend is an employment specialist and one of her first jobs was up-writing resumes like this

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

They're going to be paying more in interest to depositors than they're gaining on their garbage securities,

lol, we’re talking about bank of america here right?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

They can do that but if all the depositors want their money they have a real world problem

Oh are they using them for reserves/liquidity? hmm.

Also looks like the HTM is underwater for a similar amount so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

cool av posted:

lol, we’re talking about bank of america here right?

yes. bofa deez bond classifications