Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For context, which I've realised now was quite important, I was venting because we have a guy who never deploys things as he's instructed to do and then throws his hands up when it inevitably fails within a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

For context, which I've realised now was quite important, I was venting because we have a guy who never deploys things as he's instructed to do and then throws his hands up when it inevitably fails within a few weeks.

Okay yeah, if it's his fault it's doing that, I can see why you might be annoyed with that response.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Guess in this case it should be doing that so.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Thanks Ants posted:

This has me seriously considering coming out of retirement to help out because the deployment tech I co-created seven years ago is still the preferred .net deployment framework in use right now where I used to work. For context, the deployment tech I co-created impacts about 4 million customers.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 8, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to build a Team chat bot that responds to everybody's first message with "have you read the documentation [link to documentation]? let me know what error messages you are getting". Could probably automate my own job away.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm going to build a Team chat bot that responds to everybody's first message with "have you read the documentation [link to documentation]? let me know what error messages you are getting". Could probably automate my own job away.

Do it! I discovered Power Automate while randomly clicking around M365 and wanted to try it out so I created a few Flows(?) for Teams. Lots of potential there.

*Also, I understand if you're just annoyed with coworkers.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
If your job just isn’t exciting anymore, store all your corporate docs on SharePoint and grant everyone site admin permissions.

I was an Office 365 Admin, which included SharePoint and strangely I don’t miss any of that since my retirement.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 8, 2023

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

you’re dreaming small, automate all your work interactions with chatgpt

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah so my company just migrated to a new documentation platform and didn't move over all the pages, so there's huge holes in the docs. The old docs are available, but you can't search them. You have to know the links to the old pages.

So that's fun.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I really should stop being surprised, but some I still am surprised at how few IT people even read messages before just freaking out and screaming "HELP!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I really should stop being surprised, but some I still am surprised at how few IT people even read messages before just freaking out and screaming "HELP!"

The easiest way to deal with that is to ask them "What does the error say exactly?" Then follow up with "What do you think the solution could be?"

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

The easiest way to deal with that is to ask them "What does the error say exactly?" Then follow up with "What do you think the solution could be?"

"I don't know. I closed it immediately without reading it."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ponzicar posted:

"I don't know. I closed it immediately without reading it."

“Then when it happens again read it and think about the error message.”

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

“Then when it happens again read it and think about the error message.”

Next comes an email to their boss cc: your boss. "IT is refusing to fix their problems again."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This was an email from a vendor for a product that isn't supported, basically saying you need to whitelist some new domains, if you filter domains. And it also explicitly said that if you don't filter domains, you don't have to do anything.

So some lab people got this email and it says "you're getting this email because you're an owner or admin of X" and those people didn't read it and freaked out and forwarded it to their local IT person. Who also didn't bother to read, and just sent the image to central IT like "what should I tell them?" And I basically just read the email back to him in more digestible chunks. Like, "We don't support that, so it's the responsibility of the owners or admins of X, as it says in the first sentence. But a relevant line might be 'if you don't do any filtering, no action is needed'"

It's sort of a microcosm of a poo poo I see that pisses me off. We're a massive public research university, and by necessity there are lots of weird IT needs. IT can't become experts in how to use every microscope controller and 20 year old excel macro that's in use. But nobody seems to be willing to say that to anybody. I hang out in the slack channels for our support teams and see tons of questions from the help desk to them like " A user called, do we support <esoteric thing>" and nobody's willing to say" No, you're on your own, you must be this tall to ride."

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Customer :supaburn: This critical workload is on fire! It runs monthly and for the last six months it's been failing. Why isn't support helping us?

Me: :sweatdrop: I'm so sorry we dropped the ball on this. Let me assemble a team of SMEs and we'll focus on your issue until it's resolved.

~ three days later~

:sweatdrop: Okay here we all are ready to help. Here's a list of things we need you to do for our meeting next week.
:supaburn: Okay! Thanks for your help!

~one week later~

:sweatdrop: To recap the last meeting, we have you homework of these five items to do before this meeting. How many have you done?
:supaburn: None! But we need your help because the monthly load is coming up in two weeks!
:sweatdrop: No problem. Can you commit to doing your homework by next week?
:supaburn: Absolutely!

~one week later~

:sweatdrop: Any progress? We are blocked until you do these basic troubleshooting steps.
:supaburn: Nope! We've done nothing. But we need your help~ The next load is in one week!
:sweatdrop: No problem. Can you commit to doing your homework by next week?
:supaburn: Absolutely!

~one week later~

:sweatdrop: Any progress?
:supaburn: No. We've been heads-down in preparation for the monthly load.
:sweatdrop: But won't it fail again?
:supaburn: We have a workaround we are going to try.
:sweatdrop: [to self] but then why was this a critical issue if you've had a workaround all along...?
:sweatdrop: No porblem. Let me know when you have finished your homework.

~one week later~

:supaburn: This critical workload is on fire! It broke again! Help!

GOTO 10

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best ending for those sorts of stories is when the person concerned starts CCing their boss and you smash reply-all with the gory details of the previous month+ of timewasting, and then future messages to your contact start bouncing.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Then future messages to your contact start bouncing.

This has never happened to me but my oh my would it be fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The fun part is they never ever realize that the support tech is creating a paper trail the whole time to cover their own rear end.

It's tech support 101 and apparently it's still an industry secret.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

The fun part is they never ever realize that the support tech is creating a paper trail the whole time to cover their own rear end.

It's tech support 101 and apparently it's still an industry secret.

Hell, at this point it’s remedial tech support 89.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Thanks Ants posted:

The best ending for those sorts of stories is when the person concerned starts CCing their boss and you smash reply-all with the gory details of the previous month+ of timewasting, and then future messages to your contact start bouncing.

Hahah I'm on that stage today.

This user has decided for whatever reason that zoom for the org is their personal fiefdom and doesn't want me to admin it or be involved in anyway. Cool, one less thing to worry about. But there is some problem happening now over multiple computers which sounds like it might be an error happening in zoom itself. So I suggested they contact Zoom support (I don't add the part where I can't do it for them because they are the sole admin). It's certainly possible it's a hardware issue but if it is, Zoom support will probably suss it out pretty quickly, and I'll probably suss it out never since I"m not in these meetings and have never observed the issue.

We're on day 3 of back and forths where they neither do the things I suggest or contact zoom support, but just give me more and more evidence that it's happening, when I never doubted that in the first place. Like do they think I've been secretly hiding a magic fix to this and that copying one of the chiefs on the email would get me to cough it up? I just again asked them to try to identify the cameras so we can see if everyone is using the same camera, but, really, contact zoom support.

Doubt she'll do it, I'll probably get yelled at but I have no magic solution here.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rick posted:

do they think I've been secretly hiding a magic fix to this and that copying one of the chiefs on the email would get me to cough it up?

yes

yes they do

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool when someone in sales gets a list of requirements from the customer, re-interprets them in their own way, we deliver exactly what the sales guy asked for but it turns out that it's nothing like what the customer actually wanted. As much as I'd like to lay the blame at the feet of the sales guy, it's more of a company culture problem if things like that happen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

It's cool when someone in sales gets a list of requirements from the customer, re-interprets them in their own way, we deliver exactly what the sales guy asked for but it turns out that it's nothing like what the customer actually wanted. As much as I'd like to lay the blame at the feet of the sales guy, it's more of a company culture problem if things like that happen.

My last place did this all the time and it was because we didn't have a customer success team to make sure there was continuity between the sales process and the delivery process. Everyone involved in (technical and business enablement) design didn't actually participate in delivery.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've realised that in this instance I don't particularly care due to the nature of the end-clients work, and I'm not going to try and manage up on this one because I'm getting paid for a job that takes me between 1 and 2 hours each day while I help my sister and brother-in-law renovate a house. I know it's a dead end role, when I have some free time back it's going into the yotj column.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody had to deal with the utterly dogshit Intel SST audio system that claims to do things like offloading from USB audio devices? We have some Dell Latitudes with a Realtek chip on that implements it, and like all Intel software it is complete trash. The symptoms are that all audio on the system will stop working because the driver crashes, and seemingly Realtek and Intel are unable to come up with a working driver despite three years of trying.

I'm ready to tell our VAR to come and pick their laptops up but it would be a lot more convenient if there was a fix for this.

I assume you already moved past this but my employer ran into the same with Lenovo devices, swapping the Intel SST Audio Controller or whatever it's called under Device Manager for good old fashioned HD Audio Manager fixed our issues.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Half of a site lost network access, and coincidentally a security company was on site at the time doing some work on their panels.

"The security company did not touch any of the fiber connections"

< 3 hours later >

"The security company may have touched the fiber connections"

< A few calls later >

"The security company definitely touched the fiber connections"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Actuarial Fables posted:

Half of a site lost network access, and coincidentally a security company was on site at the time doing some work on their panels.

"The security company did not touch any of the fiber connections"

< 3 hours later >

"The security company may have touched the fiber connections"

< A few calls later >

"The security company definitely touched the fiber connections"

The security company was using a backhoe

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

The security company was using a backhoe

Ah the North American backhoe strikes again.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

FISHMANPET posted:

That’s how it felt dealing with L1 T my last job. They were mostly pretty good but there were so many times they could have helped themselves if they just took a deep breath and didn’t panic. Easier said then done with an angry client breathing down your neck I guess, but that’s what we have mute buttons and documentation for.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Why the gently caress is C:\Users\Public\Desktop set to read-only now?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

has been for a while? just means you need to elevate to save stuff to it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

has been for a while? just means you need to elevate to save stuff to it

It's a change, we're pushing an updated shortcut to lab desktops. The old script is now failing. I just need to add a step to change that flag and then drop the shortcut in. It just took a loooong time to find the root cause and I'm annoyed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I remember being pissed off by it a while back too, but I can't remember why.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Same thing broke Empower deployments for a pharma client a while back.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Why the gently caress is C:\Users\Public\Desktop set to read-only now?

So the system administrator can put icons on the desktop that users won't remove by accident (or intentionally).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nielsm posted:

So the system administrator can put icons on the desktop that users won't remove by accident (or intentionally).

And just so we're all clear, those icons can't be arranged by Penis so don't ask..

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, Pagerduty are fucks.

Background story: At my part time side job I signed a contract with Pagerduty last year that is within the amount that I'm allowed to authorize for a purchase. What I didn't realize is that I'm not allowed to authorize a contract in any amount. So management wouldn't pay it, because I wasn't allowed to sign it. Pagerduty wouldn't send out a new contract for management to sign. So this year, I get emails about renewal and the oustanding balance. I say that I need to cancel because management is unwilling to pay. They say "Okay we've turned off renewal but you can't cancel your account until you pay the outstanding balance." A week or two of prying information out of them and they finally say "Yes, you will continue to be charged until your account is closed, and you can't close your account until you pay the outstanding balance." So now I've forwarded that email chain to management and legal because refusing to let someone stop accruing new charges on their account sounds not legal.

If it was up to me I'd just loving pay the bill because it's going to be way cheaper than paying the retained lawyer hourly, but it's not my decision. Upper management here are self-important petty tyrants. The company doesn't deserve me, but the people we help (non-profit) do, so I put up with it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LinkedIn posted:

Recruiter: "Hey Arquinsiel, you'd be great for this here job with highly classified state secrets!".
Me: "I've only been in the UK for a bit over a year, does it require security clearence?"
Recruiter: "You'll be fine! It just requries SC Level clearance".
Me: "Yeah that's the one you need to have been in the UK five years to get..."
Why are you even bothering to waste your own time, my dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
He’s probably just confused someone willingly moved to the UK recently

I kid