Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I tried this map in Chocolate doom and everything ran fine. I checked the visplane count beforehand and there are only a couple of spots that the player can only reach by noclipping that will cause a visplane overflow crash. I think it's safe to say that this map does not require a limit removing port.

Hey that's cool. I don't even know how to test for limits so I just play it safe and assume limit removing. True vanilla is a good feeling.

What'd you think of the map???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In Training posted:

Hey that's cool. I don't even know how to test for limits so I just play it safe and assume limit removing. True vanilla is a good feeling.

What'd you think of the map???

Ammunition is tight, and the early part of the map is a bit rough. Health is INCREDIBLY stingy, especially given how many hitscanners are in the map. The secret fights were fun, but in all it felt like the secrets were mandatory just so that you'd barely have enough resources to make it through. What's the name of the midi and who made it?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Also played in Chocolate Dom, map doesn't crash out at any point but several visual anomalies do occur:

In other words, definitely a limit-removing map.

Outside of that, pretty fun to romp through. The Arch-Vile closet is objectively bullshit by nature of Arch-Vile behaviour and the obligatory Cyberdemon ending is "okay sure whatever" but all in all I definitely liked the map. Has something of a certain "late 90s" flavour to it.

Good suff.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Brolander posted:

wow myhouse is really cool. i read the "journal" that's in the game files beforehand so i had some idea of what to expect

I get to the plane then I'm dumped back into the house, where you can only really press the blue "gate" thing then the house disappears and a for sale sign goes up. I want more!!! Have to play through again. On my first attempt I fell off the grey building and didn't find the door to the stairs somehow, so I noclipped into the back rooms. Then started over when that got boring running around. Haven't gotten back there yet, I assume it's leaping across somehow (like how you can get that megasphere).

my favorite part was when the house fills up with those hosed up creatures. i think i said Hell Yeah out loud

that myhouseofleaves.doc rear end journal actually has some clues on how to progress to the more obscure content hidden in it, coded in a very House of Leaves way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

myhouse is brilliant. A work of art.

I relied on a walkthrough to see everything after making a few attempts on my own but goddamn

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

In Training posted:

everyone's getting hype about myhouse.wad, but wanted to share that I just finished a new level I been chipping away for a bit, Dam It All to Hell! Check it out here!

20-minute ish cl2 map with vanilla resources, will need a limit removing port I believe. open to feedback! would love to hear opinions, videos, demos etc.

Some screenshots:

Have fun doomers!

I liked the look of the map, it reminded me of Heretic a bit. I would say as far as the difficulty, some of the early encounters seemed pretty brutal, then it sort of tapers off and is pretty easy, then the final room is some mega rear end kicking, lol. I think maybe some of the encounters in sort of the middle ish and such were a little... samey? Like where you just keep coming across platforms full of revenants and its easy to pick them off and duck behind a wall without much variation. Theres not a lot of dynamism to those parts, just more of a gindy get through them, but not really an obstacle. The manc closet opening up right behind you at point blank near the start felt a little bullshit. maybe if there was... some gap or some tell in the wall that a manc was right behind there pissed off and you know something is going to set him free, you might be prepared a little for the point blank distance. Ammo was a little sparse early on for some of the numbers of monsters coming at you in one arena, maybe, but I'm no play-on-nightmare doom master.

That final battle though, for the number of bodies and projectiles being thrown at you, it feels like you need a bigger room, maybe pillars or something to duck behind to block the crazy barrage of projectiles. It feels a bit like fish in a barrel, but you're the fish. Maybe I missed a secret BFG though earlier that would have made that a bit more doable, but as it was personally I couldn't manage it on hurt me plenty. I don't hold that against it though because, lol i've never been a doom wizard, so I could be way off on the general level of difficulty.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Episode 4: John Romero Hates You

A perfect run ruined only by map authors being incompetent when assigning secrets in their sector work :colbert:

Thy Flesh Consumed displays the highest quality in The Ultimate Doom when it comes to map complexity and visuals (no doubt due to everyone involved having much more experience with map editors by 1995). Unfortunately, in what seems to have been an effort to ramp the difficulty up to be around Doom II's level, it's also absolutely littered with high-tier monsters -- by which I mean Barons of Hell -- from the word go, which turns a lot of encounters into grindy slogs involving a corner and a Shotgun. It starts rough and doesn't really take its foot off the pedal until E4M4, which is not only a small, short map, but also happens to be the only map in the episode which doesn't feature any Barons at all. Then E4M6 happens and the dogshit lava hub generally makes everyone miserable for 15 minutes.

Thanks, John.

E4's alright (most of the time I'd even say it's good fun), but it would have benefitted from winding down things a notch here and there, as opposed to trying to be difficult by just loading the place with all the stronger monsters. A well-placed surprise Baron can be a decent threat, but four just slapped down in an area where they can't pressure the player into making mistakes (or do anything in general) is really nothing more than a boring ammo sink.

Ah gently caress it, whatever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Romero maps are tough, but good, actually.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hell Beneath and Unruly Evil were done by McGee, not Romero. Unruly Evil isn't much, but Hell Beneath is fuckin mean.

McGee also indulged his hitscan addiction in his Doom 2 maps. Enjoy!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Tom Guycot posted:

Woah, really neat zdoom wad https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/

I saw that thread on the forums like last weekend, some tribute wad of their friends house or something they made, I didn't really pay attention to it much because, sweet as the sentiment might be a 1990's 'my house' wad wasn't really at the top of my list to bother with. Then last night i saw the thread blowing up and went back to read it and see why and after the first spoiler post decided to download it, and holy poo poo thats a cool wad.
What in the seven hells did I just play?

What a friggin' trip.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

treat posted:

that myhouseofleaves.doc rear end journal actually has some clues on how to progress to the more obscure content hidden in it, coded in a very House of Leaves way.
Wish I'd known this before spending like three hours wallhumping to progress through each part lol

Very cool wad pk3 nonetheless, very P.T.core

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrELyz0KZM

i made a walkthrough video for the video game urban legends thread, so if you just wanna see the good ending you can. commentary is in the youtube subtitles

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

An Actual Princess posted:

i made a walkthrough video for the video game urban legends thread, so if you just wanna see the good ending you can. commentary is in the youtube subtitles

Thank you for this. What a ride! I want to play through it but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it through completely.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You mention the House of Leaves labyrinth in the description. I remember reading about it on the Doomwiki page as well. I want to check it out, but how exactly do you get to it?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

You mention the House of Leaves labyrinth in the description. I remember reading about it on the Doomwiki page as well. I want to check it out, but how exactly do you get to it?

upstairs closet. it only appears in the second house, and only sometimes. i can't figure out what gets it to spawn but if you keep checking the door every so often you'll find it

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
is there any way out of it? I got lucky and wandered into it after doing most everything else and accidently wrote over my previous save.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah there is a way out, its just very confusing and I couldn't begin to describe the path.

I was also thinking about it appearing sometimes and not others, and what triggers that, and I'm sort of leaning now to what would be the K.I.S.S. way to program that in as the creator. Its either some complicated set of random lines and things triggering it, or maybe the door just straight up has a dice roll attached to it?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Discovered you can noclip into the bathtub and you get an ... altered house. Not sure of the significance of it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I was also thinking about it appearing sometimes and not others, and what triggers that, and I'm sort of leaning now to what would be the K.I.S.S. way to program that in as the creator. Its either some complicated set of random lines and things triggering it, or maybe the door just straight up has a dice roll attached to it?
I think this is a really good wad for people who have tried making their own before because I was constantly like "was that a linedef trigger or an actor or a timer or something? what the hell just caused that to happen???"

Would love a tech breakdown at some point once most people have tried it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Episode 4: John Romero Hates You

A perfect run ruined only by map authors being incompetent when assigning secrets in their sector work :colbert:

Thy Flesh Consumed displays the highest quality in The Ultimate Doom when it comes to map complexity and visuals (no doubt due to everyone involved having much more experience with map editors by 1995). Unfortunately, in what seems to have been an effort to ramp the difficulty up to be around Doom II's level, it's also absolutely littered with high-tier monsters -- by which I mean Barons of Hell -- from the word go, which turns a lot of encounters into grindy slogs involving a corner and a Shotgun. It starts rough and doesn't really take its foot off the pedal until E4M4, which is not only a small, short map, but also happens to be the only map in the episode which doesn't feature any Barons at all. Then E4M6 happens and the dogshit lava hub generally makes everyone miserable for 15 minutes.

Thanks, John.

E4's alright (most of the time I'd even say it's good fun), but it would have benefitted from winding down things a notch here and there, as opposed to trying to be difficult by just loading the place with all the stronger monsters. A well-placed surprise Baron can be a decent threat, but four just slapped down in an area where they can't pressure the player into making mistakes (or do anything in general) is really nothing more than a boring ammo sink.

Ah gently caress it, whatever.

Playing through E4 myself at the minute as well, after booting up Doom recently to finally play Sigil, which turned into "gently caress, this game is amazing and I want to play all it from the start again" pretty quickly.

E4M2 was such a nightmare to me on this run. I had to deal with the Barons room to the left of the starting area in a "one hit and I'm dead" situation, so your description of dumping ammo into Barons whilst peeking round a corner resonates quite strongly right now.

Even that though I enjoy for what it is. Finding your way through these maps and labyrinths by the skin of your teeth is as much a joy now as it ever was.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cat Machine posted:

I think this is a really good wad for people who have tried making their own before because I was constantly like "was that a linedef trigger or an actor or a timer or something? what the hell just caused that to happen???"

Would love a tech breakdown at some point once most people have tried it.

The most impressive thing I think it does is the extensive use of portals. Usually when you see that in zdoom its in basic ways, faking floor over floor, going up and down stairs that otherwise couldnt' work in doom, mirrors, etc, but the way the portals have been incorporated seamlessly in incredibly complicated ways is nuts.

I can't imagine building something like that, and on top of that, the bug testing to make sure all the triggers and different paths (including breaking ones like going to the backrooms and leaving) and such don't break must have been a pain. I haven't seen anyone posting bugs or anything breaking so having it so rock solid with so much scripting fuckery going on is very impressive.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

treat posted:

really wish I didn't play it with a hangover though.
I was in the same boat as you when I tried it yesterday. Hangover anxiety and first-person horror adventures do not go together at all. :ohdear:

In before myhouse gets named first in the 2023 Cacowards.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I've beaten That Dam Wad! I like the little demon nook/lift in the left beginning room. Varied enemies and some tricky placement. I wish I had found the RL before the end fight

I have the map so I can see there's a big ol room behind those green rocks in the beginning, no idea if that's the way in though found this! aha and that gets you The Loncher. Fun little fite-- I just ran to the column next to the 3 skellies, sat there for a second curling around it, then busted back past them and wove thru the knights to the left, then once the mancubus waddled by I scooted past him and melted everything from that end.

I like the "stacking" of secrets, not being afraid to put two close together. At one point I had a bitch of a time getting the arch vile lift/reveal wall to go back up with me on it, I kept stepping off so it might be a skill issue.

I just peeked at that myhouse video, and wow I missed so much. Gotta go back

Brolander fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 15, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

The most impressive thing I think it does is the extensive use of portals. Usually when you see that in zdoom its in basic ways, faking floor over floor, going up and down stairs that otherwise couldnt' work in doom, mirrors, etc, but the way the portals have been incorporated seamlessly in incredibly complicated ways is nuts.
Do any other ZDoom maps use non-obvious portals (perhaps not as extensively) to deliberately represent non-Euclidean spaces? Like you said, most of what I'm familiar with uses portals to approximate Euclidean spaces within the limitations of the map format.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 15, 2023

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Who is it ITT that is going through the Cacoward winners? I've decided to do that project too, starting with the pre-Cacoward ten per year "Top 100 WADs of all time" list. A few interesting entries right off the bat, including a remake of E1M8 with doomcute trucks and building lobbies and a train station. Pretty neat.

Now I'm on Serenity and man playing that with the optional sound pack is uh, certainly something... :stare:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Who is it ITT that is going through the Cacoward winners? I've decided to do that project too, starting with the pre-Cacoward ten per year "Top 100 WADs of all time" list. A few interesting entries right off the bat, including a remake of E1M8 with doomcute trucks and building lobbies and a train station. Pretty neat.

Now I'm on Serenity and man playing that with the optional sound pack is uh, certainly something... :stare:

Me, although I strongly recommend taking breaks and playing newer stuff whenever you want to. Also skip any TCs that seem boring or bad. If you don't do those things it can get downright monotonous/painful at points.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mak0rz posted:

If you're going through all the cacowards (yowza), I know that in the first year, 2004 the 'Action Doom' original release is broken to hell and back in modern ports, and the author released, just last october, an enhanced edition that makes it playable and fixes up some issues to play better. https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/132191-action-doom-rampage-edition. (When you get up to 2009 or whatever the sequel also has a refresh that fixes stuff including some offensive story bits FYI)

Theres a lot of stuff that relied heavily on zdoom features in the early years like that thats gotten broken over time, and most wads don't have updates so if you're really dedicated to playing through everything, keep in mind you might encounter some buggy zdoom wads along the way that might even require using a contemporaneous zdoom version.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Mak0rz posted:

Ah yes, UAC_DEAD.WAD. One of the few highlights of the Maximum Doom compilation.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I was going through some old wads again recently as well, and I played Grove for the first time in probably over 10 years, and man I forgot just how wonderful and atmospheric Grove was.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Arivia posted:

Me, although I strongly recommend taking breaks and playing newer stuff whenever you want to. Also skip any TCs that seem boring or bad. If you don't do those things it can get downright monotonous/painful at points.

Tom Guycot posted:

If you're going through all the cacowards (yowza), I know that in the first year, 2004 the 'Action Doom' original release is broken to hell and back in modern ports, and the author released, just last october, an enhanced edition that makes it playable and fixes up some issues to play better. https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/132191-action-doom-rampage-edition. (When you get up to 2009 or whatever the sequel also has a refresh that fixes stuff including some offensive story bits FYI)

Theres a lot of stuff that relied heavily on zdoom features in the early years like that thats gotten broken over time, and most wads don't have updates so if you're really dedicated to playing through everything, keep in mind you might encounter some buggy zdoom wads along the way that might even require using a contemporaneous zdoom version.

To keep my sanity I do intend on being selective. I'm avoiding TCs altogether and anything that requires too much loving around to get running. I will probably also skip or only partially play a lot of megawads that are too long or frustrating.

I'm always sure to check Doomwiki for notes and to make sure I'm not going to run into any issues. I'm sure all of these wads will have a page there.

That said I do intend to play at least a small sample from every year. It's mostly something I want to do if I feel like playing Doom with no wad in mind. I don't intend to turn this into a commitment.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 15, 2023

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do any other ZDoom maps use non-obvious portals (perhaps not as extensively) to deliberately represent non-Euclidean spaces? Like you said, most of what I'm familiar with uses portals to approximate Euclidean spaces within the limitations of the map format.

This is the only one I can remember but it's pretty impressive https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/imposs

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

treat posted:

This is the only one I can remember but it's pretty impressive https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/imposs

Really cool wad, but good god the story in the accompanying txt file :stonk:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is there a decent walkthrough of MyHouse? The very first step on DoomWiki is busted (or just not working for me)

Edit-Nevermind, I didn't have the pk3 :(

I'm getting a lot of "unable to load unable to identify as music" and most sounds seem busted. Damnit.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 17, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Jimmy paddock uploaded a video walkthrough. Make sure you're using the most recent version of GZDoom and are running with hardware acceleration turned on.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

A.o.D. posted:

Make sure you're using the most recent version of GZDoom

Wow, didn't even think to check that, thanks a ton.

drat, this is WAY different with the right sounds...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sailor Dave posted:

Jesus christ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally getting around to trying myhouse. Holy crap this is great, legit goosebumps at times. so far I've fallen into the backrooms, then fell into a stairway that had three different exit doors. the firebly corridor leading back to the house seemed impossible to progress after, I'm sure I'm missing something, but i loaded a save and explored a bit of the backrooms house. found a nice doggie and a plasma rifle, then fell into the backrooms hallways, where i got killed by an entity. woke up in a hospital where i went into someone's room where he was flat lining, then found myself in the backrooms halls again but this time with a berserk. then i got killed again and came here to post.

This rules

e: Okay, went back and finished the wad proper, I think. Found my way to the burnt house full of nightmare creatures, made my way through the concrete backrooms house, and into the airport and onto the airplane where I guess I set it to crash and then jumped out? And then I was back in the burnt house and when I left the house disappeared with just a For Sale sign.

Awesome WAD, some truly creative work was done there!

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 19, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Finally getting around to trying myhouse. Holy crap this is great, legit goosebumps at times. so far I've fallen into the backrooms, then fell into a stairway that had three different exit doors. the firebly corridor leading back to the house seemed impossible to progress after, I'm sure I'm missing something, but i loaded a save and explored a bit of the backrooms house. found a nice doggie and a plasma rifle, then fell into the backrooms hallways, where i got killed by an entity. woke up in a hospital where i went into someone's room where he was flat lining, then found myself in the backrooms halls again but this time with a berserk. then i got killed again and came here to post.

This rules

e: Okay, went back and finished the wad proper, I think. Found my way to the burnt house full of nightmare creatures, made my way through the concrete backrooms house, and into the airport and onto the airplane where I guess I set it to crash and then jumped out? And then I was back in the burnt house and when I left the house disappeared with just a For Sale sign.

Awesome WAD, some truly creative work was done there!

you’ve seen maybe a third of the wad. there’s still a lot more

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

you’ve seen maybe a third of the wad. there’s still a lot more

Yeah I started your walkthrough to see what I missed and as soon as you reloaded with the comment "the burnt house locks you out of the good ending" I was like "what" and then you mention the picture frames in the living room that show your artifact collection progression and I stopped there because it was pretty clear that I'd done probably the second fastest ending (1st being exiting with just the regular keys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Also a project I've been working on on-and-off for a few years. I read through all the Cacowards and made a list of everything that sounded interesting and have been slowly chewing my way through. I'm just getting started on 1996 :negative:

For anyone else dipping back into the archives, here are my thoughts/reviews of what I've done so far:

Crossing Acheron
Replaces E1M3. Short and sweet, good design/secrets and monster density. Remember to try ALL the different teleporters. Recommended.
UAC Dead
Replaces E1M8. Very sparse, lots of big open areas. Cool hell cavern, weird boss fight. Don't miss the secret area in the moving sidewalk room. It got a bit old running around huge empty areas but the fights were still lots of fun with plenty of room to sprint around dodging stuff. Recommended.
Galaxia
Replaces E1M1 and M9. Notable for having a plot to go along with the maps. I really liked this one, there was a lot of variety in the environments, good use of heavy enemies without making things too tough (the very beginning is a little frustrating before you know where to go). Good use of darkness without going completely overboard. My only complaint would be some repetition of long narrow corridors (caves, subway, :siren: sewer :siren: ) but none of them last too long.
Serenity II: Eternity
Replaces Episode 2. Liked all the maps, disappointing final battle. Everyone complains about the maze in map 2 but it's not bad at all. That bridge is still buggy tho. Hot music.
Return to Phobos
Replaces Episode 1. Wow (relatively) balls hard. Ambushes everywhere and keys hidden in mandatory secrets. Compared to Eternity and TEU this is like Episode IV. Seems to run out of steam after a few maps, I'd say if you're looking for that old school key/switch hunting then play the first few maps and skip the rest. Secret level exit is in E1M3.
Slaughter Until Death II: The Evil Unleashed
Replaces Episode 3. Pretty good, not as good as the Eternity levels but a much better final battle.
orig.wad
Replaces E1M1. The Original. Actually a fun little challenge to get 100% kills. Made by hand editing HEX code before any editors were available holy gently caress.

Fava Beans
Replaces Episode 1. Very nice progression from short easy maps to longer, more complex easy maps. Difficulty's on par with regular E1, this one's just notable for having an actual difficulty curve instead of slapping 9 random maps together and calling it an episode. Pretty nicely designed overall, I liked it. M8 and M9 are both super short and basically throwaway. Another pathetic final battle, guess it took a while for people to figure out what makes a satisfying conclusion. Also the author is really full of himself in the text file, including some hilarious demo recordings of him and his friends DMing. And listen to some of these map names: Hangar 18, Impalement Station, Charon's Lab, Orion Outpost, Creeping Death. Is there a link between Bay area thrash and FPSes :)
Artifact
First really balls hard map, a bit too old school in places with necessary keys hidden behind mandatory double secrets (first Blue Key wtf). Still really well done, the way he split one giant map up into 3 pieces was really clever. Definitely worth running around in for at least the first level, the best imo.
Enigma
Replaces maps 1-9. Another product of its time, with mandatory keys and switches behind secrets and some confusing layouts. Above average in general, but among the best of the year it's about in the middle.
Fistfull of Doom
Replaces Map1 and 2. Very basic and open design, all the buildings are just big boxes inside a big box level with no elevation variation. Pretty much all the gameplay is running around the outside of the buildings dodging hitscans. With only two similar levels this is more a tech demo than a real mapset. I did really like how he made the cactus sprite do nukage damage if you got close to them, nice touch :clint:
Gather2
Replaces Maps 1-4 with an MP map on 5. After Enigma I thought this was going to be easy, map 1 was tiny and only had 34 enemies. Map 2, over 250..... :argh: But Map2 turned out to be one of my favorites, with a neat hub design and one of the best sequences I've seen in these early WADs where you have to run through a nukage sewer full of imps, looking for the exit as your biosuit runs out of juice. One of the first truly well designed encounters so far. I'm beginning to think we would have been a lot better off if people had stuck to making 4 or 5 really good maps instead of pushing themselves to do full episodes of merely OK ones.
Nostromo's Run
Replaces Map1. Really tough level, but tightly designed. The final room is pretty great, you have to keep crossing back and forth raising up higher platforms to access a switch at the top, and of course each path you open up released a bunch of dudes. Then the final encounter is like every heavy enemy in the game in a slime arena, pretty tricky to get through your first time. Got lost a few times but nothing too bad especially for the time. Very recommended.

Sailor Dave posted:

Cut myself on all those edges :emo: