Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Went through Fusion gunning for a sub-2 Hour 100% run and, while very doable, some of those shinespark puzzles are downright cruel. I'm thrilled to have had rewind instead of just save state to do them by, it's one of my favourite emulation features the Switch offers. I was also surprised because I thought Samus Returns dished out damage pretty willy nilly, Fusion was a lot more on par with it than I remember. What a hardcore Metroid it proves to be after all this time. Can't wait for Zero Mission to be added never, because holy poo poo these release schedules for NSO are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Dumb question, pardon if something similar has been asked in the last 1200 pages.
My kid is 10, and loves Diablo games. He has played through Diablo III and we have multiple copies on Switch and all is fine.
We have been playing Diablo II together on Xbox and I have it purchased on my account for my switch. He wants it on his switch and I am fine with that because he is mature enough to know it's a silly game and it's not going to give him nightmares or make him join a cult or whatever.
So Nintendo doesn't seem to want to let him download it under his account and purchase it. I can't figure out if there's a way for me to buy it for him or authorize it in some kind of backdoor way without changing his age in the system. If that was the only way, and I did so, could I set it back afterwards and turn him back into a 10 year old?

It doesn't care if you have the game card. It will let you hack and slash all night long, but digital seems to be where it has the restrictions in place.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Syrnn posted:

Went through Fusion gunning for a sub-2 Hour 100% run and, while very doable, some of those shinespark puzzles are downright cruel. I'm thrilled to have had rewind instead of just save state to do them by, it's one of my favourite emulation features the Switch offers. I was also surprised because I thought Samus Returns dished out damage pretty willy nilly, Fusion was a lot more on par with it than I remember. What a hardcore Metroid it proves to be after all this time. Can't wait for Zero Mission to be added never, because holy poo poo these release schedules for NSO are terrible.

I finished Fusion yesterday and my 59% item run was... 2:08. Felt discouraged because I used lots of rewinds to dodge bad routing but I guess I shouldn't have been killing all the enemies or climbing stairs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

otter posted:

Dumb question, pardon if something similar has been asked in the last 1200 pages.
My kid is 10, and loves Diablo games. He has played through Diablo III and we have multiple copies on Switch and all is fine.
We have been playing Diablo II together on Xbox and I have it purchased on my account for my switch. He wants it on his switch and I am fine with that because he is mature enough to know it's a silly game and it's not going to give him nightmares or make him join a cult or whatever.
So Nintendo doesn't seem to want to let him download it under his account and purchase it. I can't figure out if there's a way for me to buy it for him or authorize it in some kind of backdoor way without changing his age in the system. If that was the only way, and I did so, could I set it back afterwards and turn him back into a 10 year old?

It doesn't care if you have the game card. It will let you hack and slash all night long, but digital seems to be where it has the restrictions in place.

Why does Nintendo need to know your son's age? Use the parental controls mobile app and then limit the games you choose to allow him to play.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Because he is under parental controls. Diablo is fine, but I'm not sure about all the hentai games and stuff.

I just tried setting up the app (thank you for the suggestion) and although he is listed as unrestricted his age being entered in his profile from a few years ago when I bought him his first switch has him blocked from it in the eshop.

otter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 16, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

otter posted:

Discussion > Games > Nintendo Switch: Diablo is fine, but I'm not sure about all the hentai games

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

otter posted:

Because he is under parental controls. Diablo is fine, but I'm not sure about all the hentai games and stuff.

yeah. Nintendo's parental scheme absolutely sucks for Switch. my neice got the eShop taken away when she started asking questions about The Zodiac Killer.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wow, what game lets you play as Ted Cruz

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wow, what game lets you play as Ted Cruz

it was This Is The Zodiac Speaking and I think they were into Jackbox at the time and yeah the older ones did start making Ted Cruz jokes at her and theyre in Texas so she was all freaked out :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you take your daughters eShop privileges away for asking too many questions about the Zodiac Killer...

Buddy you might be the zodiac killer

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The final system added to the Switch Online service before the next console comes out will be the Saturn.

But only because Data East is willing to put every one of their games on these services which now include Side Pocket and almost assuredly one day in the future, Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

more snes games pls nintendo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No Super Game Boy support for Kirby 2 unfortunately. I was hoping since they’ve been pretty good adding more obscure features to these last 2 emulators like GBA Player rumble support.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The final SNES game is gonna be Dirt Track FX and Super Mario RPG will never come

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBZVeqD3nRc

Gameboy:
Kirby 2
Burger time

SNES:
Side pocket

NES:
Xevious

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Uh oh, that's my partner's absolute favorite classic game. We're planning to clean the house this weekend, but now he's gonna be distracted with being chased around by walking food items.

wizard2 posted:

it was This Is The Zodiac Speaking and I think they were into Jackbox at the time and yeah the older ones did start making Ted Cruz jokes at her and theyre in Texas so she was all freaked out :(

:lol: Kids rule.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 16, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kirby 2 owns

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Gameboy:
Kirby 2
Burger time

SNES:
Side pocket

NES:
Xevious

great lol

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Mr.Acula posted:

more snes games pls nintendo

welp

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

otter posted:

Give him access to your main account. It's between you and God how many hentai games you have.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 16, 2023

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The final system added to the Switch Online service before the next console comes out will be the Saturn.

Finally. Sonic R on Switch :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

otter posted:

I just tried setting up the app (thank you for the suggestion) and although he is listed as unrestricted his age being entered in his profile from a few years ago when I bought him his first switch has him blocked from it in the eshop.

My kids just have regular accounts and I limit what games can be played on the Switch overall with a whitelist and the 4-digit code. That way, it's entirely up to me what games they can play at a moment's notice. :shrug: Up to you, obviously, but that might simplify the whole thing.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Oscar Wild posted:

Give him access to your main account. It's between you and God how many hentai games you have.

Diablo II is tied to your battle.net account and he would be playing my guy, not his.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My kids just have regular accounts and I limit what games can be played on the Switch overall with a whitelist and the 4-digit code. That way, it's entirely up to me what games they can play at a moment's notice. :shrug: Up to you, obviously, but that might simplify the whole thing.

I’m going to have to look at if that can be done to the existing accounts or what.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Gameboy:
Kirby 2
Burger time

SNES:
Side pocket

NES:
Xevious

Burgertime Deluxe is really freaking good. I have it on the 3DS but that system is dead, long live NSO!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Gameboy:
Kirby 2
Burger time

SNES:
Side pocket

NES:
Xevious

I love Burger Time, the Intellivision version was my first ever video game. :3:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Yeah way to go

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I said come in! posted:

I love Burger Time, the Intellivision version was my first ever video game. :3:

While it wasn't my first game, it was one of my first and the only Intellivision game I really love playing today.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I bought an OG Nintendo Switch within the first few weeks after it came out. I think my battery might need to be replaced, the last couple years it seems like I charge it fully, a couple days later go to actually play it and the battery is dead. (I usually don't turn it off fully, but maybe that would help.)

Is there a way to check battery health? How are battery replacements? I figured the Nintendo Switch Pro or whatever would have hit the market by now, part of me wonders whether I should try to get some cash for this and just grab a Switch OLED.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Small White Dragon posted:

So I bought an OG Nintendo Switch within the first few weeks after it came out. I think my battery might need to be replaced, the last couple years it seems like I charge it fully, a couple days later go to actually play it and the battery is dead. (I usually don't turn it off fully, but maybe that would help.)

Is there a way to check battery health? How are battery replacements? I figured the Nintendo Switch Pro or whatever would have hit the market by now, part of me wonders whether I should try to get some cash for this and just grab a Switch OLED.

If your local market is like mine, you can probably do pretty much a 1:1 trade of an unpatched Switch for a like-new OLED. Since I don't care about modding I would have done it ages ago if mine didn't also have BoTW and a couple other games on the previous owner's account, which he left logged in for me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wait there's enough of a market that a Day 1 OG Switch is worth enough to basically swap for a like-new OLED, due to the :filez: factor of the Day 1?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Infinitum posted:

Wait there's enough of a market that a Day 1 OG Switch is worth enough to basically swap for a like-new OLED, due to the :filez: factor of the Day 1?

Yeah, have a look at eBay completed auctions. It's true here in Australia, anyways.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Would a day 1 switch with whatever the last firmware that came out before the splatoon oled be worth anything?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Infinitum posted:

Is there some firmware update before which it’s valuable, or is it a hardware change?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Small White Dragon posted:

Is there some firmware update before which it’s valuable, or is it a hardware change?

IRC, OG Switch consoles have an unpatchable hardware exploit. I do believe the older the firmware the better, but it shouldn't matter largely.

There is a website that checks if your serial number is good or not.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah the exploit is essentially unfixable so the firmware shouldn't matter. Every update so far is of course a "don't update yet until we confirm" scenario but it's never been more than a week or so until there's updated hack stuff to drop on your SD card and continue as before.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Xevious is one of the most important games of all time

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Still waiting for Xurrently, and I doubt we'll ever actually see Xext.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah the exploit is essentially unfixable so the firmware shouldn't matter. Every update so far is of course a "don't update yet until we confirm" scenario but it's never been more than a week or so until there's updated hack stuff to drop on your SD card and continue as before.

True, this unfixable exploit thing allowed me to swap my old Switch for a pretty penny on eBay. I, too, was one of those who basically immediately bought a Switch after release. Not that I needed the money for an OLED, mind you. I got one of those as a birthday gift, so the money from selling my old Switch was pure profit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm keeping my old Switch for now, I'd have to transfer the 2 extra accounts I made for extra savefiles and JP downloads (which requires child accounts apparently?) and fix the fan.