Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I took it as yeah, Alastor causes huge waves amongst the formerly human Demons, but not necessarily amongst the true demonic inhabitants (Like the Ars Goetia family).

He's a big shot overlord of the Sinners, and they're a step above many demonic families in general (Imps/Hellhounds), but they also can grow and weaken in strength more easily than other demons, so Alastor's meteoric rise is impressive for how sudden it was, not for him becoming uniquely more powerful than the other overlords on his level.

I am curious what his whole plan is because it doubt its just "lol Power". i do think his interest in the hotel is semi genuin though. he likes an underdog and possible uses and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am curious what his whole plan is because it doubt its just "lol Power". i do think his interest in the hotel is semi genuin though. he likes an underdog and possible uses and stuff.

I don't think he's lying when he says he's doing it for entertainment. But what form that entertainment is going to take remains to be seen. I think it's very much like the phrasing "That depends on what one considers to be a pig." what he thinks is a grand performance might be VERY different from what most people are expecting from him. So instead of some sort of mass destruction he might be gunning for a massive societal upheaval that throws the ring into chaos he can capitalize on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Happy Landfill posted:

I'd be really curious to hear about your experiences there and how it differs from your other jobs, given the more independent nature of things. Glad things are going well :)

Wishing Pantheon the best! I really hope you guys get picked up elsewhere. Honestly, if A24 wanted to pick up another adult animated show, that would be pretty cool

So far the biggest difference is no dept-wide reviews and having check-ins once a week as opposed to the usual two or, if the production's on fire, daily. This honestly works great for me as I'm the "I will get it done to your standards and on time" sort of worker and I like it when production trusts me enough not to babysit me. I've literally had an AD who would throw open the door to my office like she was trying to catch me doing something. It was loving bizarre and my motivation went to pot.

HB seems pretty flexible in terms of roles and assignment load. They have a lot of artists who do both layout and color, and it's understood that this probably isn't your main job so they don't have a strict assignment sheet. If you can take 10 BGs this month, cool, if you can take more, also cool. I'm told the usual load is 10-20 layouts/month which... my usual was 30, so I'm essentially working part-time. It's a very welcome break.

The rest of production looks pretty industry standard! Boards are great, the animatics are probably the most easily accessible of anywhere I've been (most shows bury these in weird folders for some reason), and I don't need to ask production for access to props or shoeboxes- I can go grab them myself. I feel trusted, and I really appreciate it.

This is probably way more mundane than you were hoping for. I'm talking about loving folders, lol.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Das Boo posted:

So far the biggest difference is no dept-wide reviews and having check-ins once a week as opposed to the usual two or, if the production's on fire, daily. This honestly works great for me as I'm the "I will get it done to your standards and on time" sort of worker and I like it when production trusts me enough not to babysit me. I've literally had an AD who would throw open the door to my office like she was trying to catch me doing something. It was loving bizarre and my motivation went to pot.

HB seems pretty flexible in terms of roles and assignment load. They have a lot of artists who do both layout and color, and it's understood that this probably isn't your main job so they don't have a strict assignment sheet. If you can take 10 BGs this month, cool, if you can take more, also cool. I'm told the usual load is 10-20 layouts/month which... my usual was 30, so I'm essentially working part-time. It's a very welcome break.

The rest of production looks pretty industry standard! Boards are great, the animatics are probably the most easily accessible of anywhere I've been (most shows bury these in weird folders for some reason), and I don't need to ask production for access to props or shoeboxes- I can go grab them myself. I feel trusted, and I really appreciate it.

This is probably way more mundane than you were hoping for. I'm talking about loving folders, lol.

That's really cool to hear :) I actually don't know much about what goes in to producing shows like this and a lot of the mundane, day-to-day stuff, so that's awesome! Mundane stuff is cool!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Das Boo posted:

production stuff
I'm guessing you're in layout for the most part?
That's what my final job mostly revolved around as well, but I was much more in the drawing side rather than the coloring side of things.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neeksy posted:

I'm guessing you're in layout for the most part?
That's what my final job mostly revolved around as well, but I was much more in the drawing side rather than the coloring side of things.

Yup! The only color work I've done is on 3D and in comics, so I'm still a little spooked to test the waters in 2D. :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are you on-site or is this all remote?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
100% remote. I suspect my next full-time job will be a hybrid schedule since they started integrating those last spring/summer. Just at the time my contract was written, it was guaranteed I'd be full remote for the duration of the project.

For something like HB though, remote makes waaaay more sense than renting out space in probably Burbank or Glendale, having to purchase all the on-site equipment and licensing gear, and then having to juggle new contract stipulations. It also gives you access to a wider pool of talent if you're not beholden to the business hours of PST.

Truth of it is, an animated production can be done like, 95% remotely nowadays.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

On paper and in some practice, yeah.

I think there is some advantage to having at least some kind of in-person department because it can be easier to get feedback when the person is right there rather than having to do it through messages or calls.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, definitely. And it doesn't work well for everybody, I'm just drat near a natural hermit and get more done in the dead of night than I can any given morning.

I should also stress that production is generally having a much harder time with remote than anyone on the art end. While Pantheon had no choice but to be remote, a few folks on MAw Superman chose to work on-site a few days a week. But the last three shows I've been on have been entirely remotely staffed from the get-go.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Oh, definitely. And it doesn't work well for everybody, I'm just drat near a natural hermit and get more done in the dead of night than I can any given morning.

Holy gently caress are you my clone?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

i have a similar circadian rhythm, it's fun and terrible!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neeksy posted:

i have a similar circadian rhythm, it's fun and terrible!

Hooray for our brains only settling down around midnight! *weeps*

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Was so goddamn sick and tired of people gushing over Helluva Boss for page after page in this thread, I decided to go and watch the bloody thing.

Thank you all.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
yeah it's alright

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was so goddamn sick and tired of people gushing over Helluva Boss for page after page in this thread, I decided to go and watch the bloody thing.

Thank you all.

yeah thats how i felt before. i think when episode 2 hits, then your realize, "oh hey, this is actually good".

also id be happy to talk about stuff or keep it to a seperate thread but their isnt really any adult animation news outside "thing got canceled"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

:justpost:

I don’t give much of a crap about the Viz media empire or whatever but like you said it’s not like there is anything else going on right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

:justpost:

I don’t give much of a crap about the Viz media empire or whatever but like you said it’s not like there is anything else going on right now.

vivzipop buys out warner because she sold so much pinups merch of gay birds and angsty hellhounds and imps.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah thats how i felt before. i think when episode 2 hits, then your realize, "oh hey, this is actually good".

Yeah, I kinda bounced off the pilot but for some reason kept pushing onward and for some reason it clicked a little with Loo Loo Land then completely with Spring Broken.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

vivzipop buys out warner because she sold so much pinups merch of gay birds and angsty hellhounds and imps.

Living the dream

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I kinda bounced off the pilot but for some reason kept pushing onward and for some reason it clicked a little with Loo Loo Land then completely with Spring Broken.

Loo Loo Land is an extremely solid episode, and I suppose it's no surprise that it's the one focused on Stolas. I think the first three episodes do a good job of setting up the dynamics. The first one is the trio, the second one is Stolas and his daughter as well as kind of introducing you to Fizzerolli, and the third introduces you to Verosika and has a bunch of Loona in it.

The fourth episode is probably the weakest outside of the pilot because it's just kind of an odd self contained episode. But then the episode after that is the one with Striker so it immediately goes back up

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 16, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

i think the pilot bounced alot of folks off of the show for a while. again, i think it has misses and such even now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
someone was pooh-pooh’ing episode 4 earlier but it has one of my favorite stupid jokes in the series when blitzo’s introducing himself to loopty

“Name’s Blitzo, the O is silent!”
“What O?”
“Aww, ‘preciate it. So what’s the tea, sis?”
“The T…?”

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 16, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

someone was pooh-pooh’ing episode 4 earlier but it has one of my favorite stupid jokes in the series when blitzo’s introducing himself to loopty

“What O?”
“The T…?”

I like 4 better then 5. 4 is dumb but i like seeing little care bears being assholes and trying to save some old pscyho. plus the image of the old dude sucking on the barrel of the AR made me laugh way to hard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like 4 better then 5. 4 is dumb but i like seeing little care bears being assholes and trying to save some old pscyho. plus the image of the old dude sucking on the barrel of the AR made me laugh way to hard.

I'd like 5 more - and I like it fine - if it focused more on Millie's family, who were fun. I'm sure that'll happen eventually.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I keep seeing people trashing episode 4 and it's...fine? Definitely not as good as the other episodes but still pretty solid and funny.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I should clarify that I thought episode 4 is the weakest but it's still a fun episode. Outside of the pilot I don't think there's been a bad episode.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I don't care for episode four all that much but that's because of my own dumb hangups not anything really world ending.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOkOIWUJXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUCWDc3EgWI

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXSj3z6zHG4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oxxidation posted:

“What O?”
“The T…?”

A fresh new take on "Hen3ry"

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Creative people do new things and the ratio from good to bad is anyone's guess, let that judging stuff down.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Neeksy posted:

On paper and in some practice, yeah.

I think there is some advantage to having at least some kind of in-person department because it can be easier to get feedback when the person is right there rather than having to do it through messages or calls.

Yeah I find creative work is better if ppl are put in office 3 days per week in the same area so they can ask each other questions and get feedback faster.
Unfortunately many senior artists still have the leverage to say no to any in person work, so it becomes all juniors in office in a blind leading the blind scenario.

There's also the lingering risk of covid and long covid but most of the people I know who insist on working remotely aren't doing it for health reasons, they still go to crowded bars on the weekend without masks, they just don't feel like commuting.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

this might be cool to check out if any of you are in the area

https://twitter.com/plymptoons/status/1636795060829274113

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Had no clue Plympton was working on a new feature. Consider me excited

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Today I learned that Netflix recently released 10-episodes of a show called "Agent Elvis", starring Matthew McConaughey, Don Cheadle, Johnny Knoxville, Kaitlin Olson, and a bunch of other people. It's vaguely like...Archer? Bizarre--an upload on a file site was my first exposure to its existence.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Today I learned that Netflix recently released 10-episodes of a show called "Agent Elvis", starring Matthew McConaughey, Don Cheadle, Johnny Knoxville, Kaitlin Olson, and a bunch of other people. It's vaguely like...Archer? Bizarre--an upload on a file site was my first exposure to its existence.
The creator was a writer on Archer so that makes sense.

also Alastor just seemed to be an attempt to make a tumblr sexyman but I've only ever seen the Hazbin pilot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Full first episode of upcoming Adult Swim show Royal Crackers:

https://youtu.be/vjxdYpLjxr0

The trailers looked bad but I actually liked this episode, laughed a bunch

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Finally getting around to watching the new ATHF movie, and am I the only one who liked the first half before it turned into a bit of a disheveled mess around the time Big Neil shows up? The frequent Mooninite interrupts from that point got redundant.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I enjoyed the ending the most, tbh. It was fun seeing them stick with a mostly coherent plot but if an ATHF plot doesn't devolve into madness in the third act why are we even here. (BTW, did you text the mooninite hotline? Adds a lot to the film.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Escobarbarian posted:

Full first episode of upcoming Adult Swim show Royal Crackers:

https://youtu.be/vjxdYpLjxr0

The trailers looked bad but I actually liked this episode, laughed a bunch

That was really funny, which I was not excepting from the trailer which made the show look very bad.

I guess it's just really hard to make trailers because this is not the first time I've seen something good edited to look bad as a way to try and sell it.