Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah well Alabama lost to a team that lost to SC by 100 so they can’t be on there either

Also fair. Clemson managed to play South Carolina tight but they can gently caress right off of that list too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Loving the Graham Mertz rehab going on with UF spring practice reporting lol

This fall is going to be hilarious—either for the bad QB play or redemption arc if he lights it up (he won’t)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mertz and DJ Uiagelelei are going to meet in the national championship game for a 5* QB duel for the ages.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mertz and DJ Uiagelelei are going to meet in the national championship game for a 5* QB duel for the ages.

Going to be a great XFL version 4 rivalry.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

True, but in a single elimination format with increased opportunities to gently caress up (or get injured) and less time to prep, strange things can happen. We will probably never get a G5 champ but a random 5 seed could certainly get the right breaks for one.

Hells, doesn't even need to be a single elimination format. Look at Ole Miss baseball last year. They were the literal last team into the CWS field and then proceeded to only lose one game on the way to the championship.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

Hells, doesn't even need to be a single elimination format. Look at Ole Miss baseball last year. They were the literal last team into the CWS field and then proceeded to only lose one game on the way to the championship.

Baseball is the highest variance sport there is so it's not one I would look to for a comparison.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Baseball is the highest variance sport there is so it's not one I would look to for a comparison.

I'd say the multi-game series dramatically decreases the variance, both in double elim and 3 game series formats.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Love a sport where the best team wins about 60% of the time.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Try softball, where the best team wins about 95% of the time :clint:

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
Today I learned that Purdue owns Brohm's West Lafayette house and is renting it to Ryan Walters.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think a seed in the 5-8 range winning the championship may not be an extraordinarily rare, but I think the majority of those will be preseason top 4 teams they have some tough luck/uninspired play on the way to a 3-loss regular season.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

General Dog posted:

I think a seed in the 5-8 range winning the championship may not be an extraordinarily rare, but I think the majority of those will be preseason top 4 teams they have some tough luck/uninspired play on the way to a 3-loss regular season.

Or a team that started rough but pulled together and peaked at the right time, like FSU or LSU last season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Also fair. Clemson managed to play South Carolina tight but they can gently caress right off of that list too.

TCU played a lot of bad teams close. Big 12 wasn’t good. TCU only beat KState the first time because of a mid game QB injury. When they met again, KState took them down in DFW.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

2021 Utah - the version that flushed us twice in short order and were an absolute road grader - would be the archetype, IMO. Wouldn’t make the 4-team playoff most years, are an obvious 5-6 seed and classic “team nobody wants to play” in an expanded field.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I personally don’t think there’s any reality where they make it all the way through a 12 team playoff; I think the talent deficit has got to eventually catch up over the course of that 3-4 game gauntlet. A team like that could for sure make it as far as the title game, though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

General Dog posted:

That's pretty much Bama last year. They could have taken out TCU and Michigan, and I guess gotten lucky against Georgia or Ohio state

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Spacemonkey57 posted:

:hmmyes: they also lost to the team that lost to SC by 100, but one of their losses was to the team that beat Bama so it’s a tough call.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Loving the Graham Mertz rehab going on with UF spring practice reporting lol

This fall is going to be hilarious—either for the bad QB play or redemption arc if he lights it up (he won’t)

I am very amused that he left and now Wisconsin's QB room is the deepest it's been like... ever

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

fickell's a hell of a recruiter

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Rectal Placenta posted:

I am very amused that he left and now Wisconsin's QB room is the deepest it's been like... ever

I mean, with all the 4- and 5-star QBs we’ve had that did gently caress-all, maybe this will work out it wont

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Look man I just want a QB who can complete a screen pass.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Look man I just want a QB who can complete a screen pass.

Sorry, all we have left is this lightly used handoff machine.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

LeeMajors posted:

Sorry, all we have left is this lightly used handoff machine.

My first two decades of being a Florida fan did not prepare me for this.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Arkansas baseball has handed me the worst fan hurt since the Stoerner fumble but listening to Phil Els on the radio calling the Benentindi season while we were cleaning up after a tornado that wiped us out got us through it and I have late in life become a huge college baseball fan. *ting*

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Football adjacent but today someone posted the full rear end 9 hour marathon of James Spann covering the April 2011 tornado outbreak that nailed Tuscaloosa.

https://youtu.be/5z9jAUIdeok

I’ve never seen most of this as I was slightly preoccupied trying to not die on campus at the time but I’d be lying if my chest didn’t tighten up a hair watching that thing tear through town again.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

James Spann once came to my elementary school and gave a presentation. That's my story.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Ah, that day. That poo poo sucked. My best friend was at his house off 15th Street and was absolutely certain he was going to bite it. He said when the second story was ripped from the house, it just sounded like a giant sheet of paper tearing in half. I had just moved to Birmingham at the time and watched it move northwest across Shades Mountain.

It was also weird as hell walking outside and finding debris raining down from central Mississippi.

LLCoolJD posted:

James Spann once came to my elementary school and gave a presentation. That's my story.

I hope you have never lost your respect for the polygon :patriot:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I can't believe it's already been 12 years since then

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: dammit this isn't the basketball thread I'm sorry.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

roll tide btich

LLCoolJD posted:

Legit jealous. I’ve met Sabes a few times but I’d turn them all in to meet Spann.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Warbird posted:

roll tide btich

Legit jealous. I’ve met Sabes a few times but I’d turn them all in to meet Spann.

Nothing wrong with that. I wish I could've met Gary England myself. Without him I probably wouldn't be here today.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Nothing wrong with that. I wish I could've met Gary England myself. Without him I probably wouldn't be here today.

I don’t know what the story here is and frankly I don’t want to know because it would ruin my own hypothesis that a TV meteorologist Marty McFlyed your parents to make sure they hosed and made you.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t know what the story here is and frankly I don’t want to know because it would ruin my own hypothesis that a TV meteorologist Marty McFlyed your parents to make sure they hosed and made you.

Nah his early warnings of the 1999 outbreak caused my parents to take my siblings and I over to my grandmother's who had a cellar. Our house in Moore took a direct hit. We didn't have a reinforced room and the entire building was completely leveled to the foundation.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It's hard explaining to out of staters just what an incredibly terrible combination of the worst possible things that Tuscaloosa tornado was.

An extremely powerful (EF4), extremely wide (1.5 miles wide), extremely long-lived (over 80 miles of devastation) that started just outside a major city, swept through its heavily populated downtown, flattening shopping centers, apartment buildings, and subdivisions, and almost perfectly tracked the interstate to the even bigger city just down the road. The Tuscaloosa emergency management office was practically one of the first buildings demolished.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Moving to NC has made me realize that there are parts of the country where the weather isn’t trying to kill you on the reg. It’s weird.

Nah his early warnings of the 1999 outbreak caused my parents to take my siblings and I over to my grandmother's who had a cellar. Our house in Moore took a direct hit. We didn't have a reinforced room and the entire building was completely leveled to the foundation.

And he also made sure your parents boned down.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LLCoolJD posted:

That's cool as poo poo. When I was like 7 or 8 I got to meet Neil Frank at the public library. Got to the end of his presentation on hurricanes, and I got to talk to him after and ask a question. I remember freezing up and stammering, "How does it rain?"

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 16, 2023

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Football related - The Big 12 got themselves their own NFL Combine in the form of an all-schools pro day. The Big Ten and SEC will get one inevitably.

https://twitter.com/Big12Conference/status/1636011887421800450

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well how I’m the hell does it rain? Don’t you hold out on us.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Warbird posted:

roll tide btich

We had a kid who thought he knew it all about TV news, and Spann dunked on him by showing the class that he didn't know what an isobar was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I can't imagine living somewhere without a cellar at minimum. We had to run outside and open it like wizard of oz but it kept us safe. Except for one tornado at night which destroyed our barn and silo, missed the house by 50 feet and we were simply lucky

Weatherpeople are cool because if they're right now and then they go from saving you time and effort (big snow coming, be ready) to straight up saving your life. And almost no one is gonna accuse them of crying wolf because the risks of big storms are so high