Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

tidal wave emulator posted:

First build of 2023 finished - ICM's 1/700 SMS Konig, using Flyhawk's photoetch, brass barrels, resin, and wooden lasercut decks. Uschi line for the rigging and a scratch-built sea base.

loving hell this is a sexy model, nicely done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Looks amazing. First time I see a ship with that kind of anchor config.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, duh. The port side is heavier than the starboard.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Thanks folks, part of the reason I chose to build this one is because I had the Revell boxing of the kit that came in one of their oversized but incredibly flimsy boxes. My stash has pretty much reached carrying capacity at this point so I figured building this so I can fit 3-4 flyhawk kits in its place was as good a way to choose my next build as any.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Does anyone know what the white putty that's used in this video is?

https://v.redd.it/r6v0b4zkdcna1

I've seen it used in a few videos and it's not a 2&part epoxy, but I can't figure out what it is beyond that. That said, I have a shitload of filling and sanding to do on my p-38. Aside from epoxy putties, what's everyone's go to for filling putties?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm guessing either Fimo, Sculpey, or DAS Clay.

Fimo and Sculpey are oven hardened, but in this case since it's just being used as a substrate covered by other materials, it wouldn't really be needed. That, and even though they won't be fully "cured", they will get extremely firm when left out in the air. DAS is air-dry, and will go rock hard eventually.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Gewehr 43 posted:

Does anyone know what the white putty that's used in this video is?

https://v.redd.it/r6v0b4zkdcna1

I've seen it used in a few videos and it's not a 2&part epoxy, but I can't figure out what it is beyond that. That said, I have a shitload of filling and sanding to do on my p-38. Aside from epoxy putties, what's everyone's go to for filling putties?

I have Tamiya, and Testors putties. The Testors stuff is really grainy and chunky. The Tamiya stuff is much better.. for almost anything I'd do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm guessing either Fimo, Sculpey, or DAS Clay.

Fimo and Sculpey are oven hardened, but in this case since it's just being used as a substrate covered by other materials, it wouldn't really be needed. That, and even though they won't be fully "cured", they will get extremely firm when left out in the air. DAS is air-dry, and will go rock hard eventually.
The youtube video says "paper clay" but it reminds me of some stuff I had as a child that came out with a nice soft squidgy texture to it after air drying. I can't remember the name of it at all.

ETA: the other important thing about it was that it was super light. That seems important when your putting it onto a base of "slightly squished tinfoil".

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 13, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If it's paper-clay, it's probably something like Sculpt-A-Mold. Paper clays generally have a rougher texture, and the stuff they're putting on is very smooth, so it's hard to say what it may be then.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

Aside from epoxy putties, what's everyone's go to for filling putties?

I quite like using superglue as a filler. It sets hard and doesn't crumble so is great for scribing through when you need to do an inconvenient bit of filling that destroys some panel lines.

If you mix it with talc it sets a bit softer, closer to the consistency of kit plastic, so when you sand it down you don't end up over-sanding the plastic surrounding it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If it's paper-clay, it's probably something like Sculpt-A-Mold. Paper clays generally have a rougher texture, and the stuff they're putting on is very smooth, so it's hard to say what it may be then.
Yeah the stuff I wish I could remember the name of had a consistency of stale marshmallows, but with an incredibly smooth surface.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crayola made stuff like that, but I don't remember what it was called.

It was like playing with a huge stale marshmallow. I remember using it for making the terrain around a scale model of Fort Duquesne that I put entirely too much effort into for a school project.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sash! posted:

It was like playing with a huge stale marshmallow. I remember using it for making the terrain around a scale model of Fort Duquesne that I put entirely too much effort into for a school project.

I definitely recall this stuff from elementary art class in the late 90s.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Mr Surfacer 500 is currently my favorite seam filler. I wouldn't use it for big divots or sink marks, but it'll fill a seam neatly and the overflow brushes right off with some iso.

Anything bigger gets white putty and a sanding with a glass file, probably some cursing along the way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sash! posted:

YES! Crayola Model Magic! WE DID IT! GO TEAM!

Or at least I think we did it :shrug:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Mr Surfacer 500 is currently my favorite seam filler. I wouldn't use it for big divots or sink marks, but it'll fill a seam neatly and the overflow brushes right off with some iso.

Anything bigger gets white putty and a sanding with a glass file, probably some cursing along the way.

Are you basically brushing it on thick then removing excess like you would with Tamiya putty?

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I mostly do miniatures for wargames but I've got a nephew who's a fanatic for all things titanic and I think it could be fun to look for a simplified kit that we could make together. He's 7 so too little to take the lead but since it's so famous I was wondering if anyone knew of an easy kit for it. Googling it leads to a million options and I really don't know if any of the beginner ones are going to be enough.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Grundma posted:

I mostly do miniatures for wargames but I've got a nephew who's a fanatic for all things titanic and I think it could be fun to look for a simplified kit that we could make together. He's 7 so too little to take the lead but since it's so famous I was wondering if anyone knew of an easy kit for it. Googling it leads to a million options and I really don't know if any of the beginner ones are going to be enough.

Revell in 1:1200? Cheap and you can get it as a gift set with paints and glue.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

YES! Crayola Model Magic! WE DID IT! GO TEAM!

Or at least I think we did it :shrug:

I'm pretty sure we did

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Warmachine posted:

Are you basically brushing it on thick then removing excess like you would with Tamiya putty?

I wouldn't say super thick. Usually a coat by hand is good enough.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Folded my first deck crane, the first of many. Nowhere near as easy to ruin as I was afraid of.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just game across the most ridiculous garage kit and it's pricey at 18000¥ but the premise is so stupid that I kinda want it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Got myself a vortex mixer for my enamel paints because, it turns out, that not using them for 7 or so years really makes it hard to get the pigment to mix by hand.

On the plus side, I can start working on the pseudo-graveyard Raiden and the paint came out nice after two minutes of shaking.

On the downside, I have less of a reason to put off work on the 8 or so models I have waiting on the sidelines now...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Got myself a vortex mixer for my enamel paints because, it turns out, that not using them for 7 or so years really makes it hard to get the pigment to mix by hand.

On the plus side, I can start working on the pseudo-graveyard Raiden and the paint came out nice after two minutes of shaking.

On the downside, I have less of a reason to put off work on the 8 or so models I have waiting on the sidelines now...

138 days until "Backlogust" begins.

Over in the Gunpla thread, someone was beating themselves up and mentioned wanting to get into tanks but being scared of the work involved. I remember a crap build project from this thread a few years (read, 2015 or so) back where I tried my hand at the lovely T-34 kit the thread picked out and picked up a few nuggets of knowledge in what was otherwise a failed attempt. This comment came up from that anecdote:

mllaneza posted:

This is the way. Buy a cheap kit that interests you, mess it up, do better make different mistakes on the next one.

Honestly probably the best piece of advice I've ever heard for the hobby.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah one of the best things to do is build, break, and paint. You wont get golden paintbrush (or whatever) on your first 10 gos at the very least. Do what you enjoy and paint what you want. Im going for a funky set of colors that exist (sort of) but arent meant to be matched in the way the final example will be. Is it accurate? Probably not, but who cares - its my build.

The 1/16 panzer im treating differently. The wespe i bought years ago that doesnt fit together at all? That I might try a diorama of sorts with it...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I have a blue sky diorama idea involving 1:144 scale German and Soviet military models (Victrix) and some gunpla, in the same vein as those folks who make diorama of kaiju in WWII scenes. It's a good ways off, but the idea of giant robots dolled up like a T-34 and a Panzer IV stomping around eastern Ukraine circa 1943 as to-scale infantry duke it out underfoot sounds :krad:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 16, 2023

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Honestly probably the best piece of advice I've ever heard for the hobby.

I mean, that's is kinda the mantra for any skill though, right? gently caress up, embrace failure, learn and try again. In this day and age when social media bombards you nothing but perfection, it's very easy to forget the amount of practice and failure that went into it.

So, in this hobby, and just about anything, fail hard, fail often, and enjoy the ride along the way.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I adore seeing the naval dioramas, I really do, and I feel awful for saying this, but I’m always more impressed and fascinated by the water than the ships.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Mokotow posted:

I adore seeing the naval dioramas, I really do, and I feel awful for saying this, but I’m always more impressed and fascinated by the water than the ships.

With the water you capture a dynamic sense of motion which isn't really reflected in the ship itself so I can see why it can be more visually interesting, I love watching sea base construction videos on youtube.

A problem with a lot of ship kits is that they're waterline, and so don't have a lower hull. This makes it easy to make a diorama out of them as you just plonk them straight onto a base or build up a seascape around them. However, because they have no hull they are necessarily sitting flat in the water and can't represent the motion of the ship rolling in the waves (as you would inevitably see parts of the hull that don't exist on the kit) - so the sea might look exciting while the ship itself looks like it's sitting perfectly motionless.

I'd like to build a full hull ship this year and incorporate it into a more dynamic diorama (maybe - I usually chicken out and do quite a conservative sea base when I get to that point in the build though).

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

With the water you capture a dynamic sense of motion which isn't really reflected in the ship itself so I can see why it can be more visually interesting, I love watching sea base construction videos on youtube.

A problem with a lot of ship kits is that they're waterline, and so don't have a lower hull. This makes it easy to make a diorama out of them as you just plonk them straight onto a base or build up a seascape around them. However, because they have no hull they are necessarily sitting flat in the water and can't represent the motion of the ship rolling in the waves (as you would inevitably see parts of the hull that don't exist on the kit) - so the sea might look exciting while the ship itself looks like it's sitting perfectly motionless.

I'd like to build a full hull ship this year and incorporate it into a more dynamic diorama (maybe - I usually chicken out and do quite a conservative sea base when I get to that point in the build though).

I wonder how difficult it would be to 3D print a lower hull for a ship model? I don't think it would need to be perfect since most of it would be submerged.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder how difficult it would be to 3D print a lower hull for a ship model? I don't think it would need to be perfect since most of it would be submerged.

Or even just the equivalent of a shim in the direction you want your list to go. You might be able to get away with very little depending on the degree, what is being exposed, and if your ocean base is opaque or clear.

A clear one with the ship on the surface and a submarine below (or torpedoes in a battle scene) would be sick.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warmachine posted:

Or even just the equivalent of a shim in the direction you want your list to go. You might be able to get away with very little depending on the degree, what is being exposed, and if your ocean base is opaque or clear.

A clear one with the ship on the surface and a submarine below (or torpedoes in a battle scene) would be sick.

Frogmen placing limpet mines

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just picked up a 1/16 Easy Eight! Very excited!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finished the rigging on the cannons, but I think I'll save the reveal of those until the end of the project. Here's some various accessories that go around the ship. Cannon-balls in their carriages, some barrels, slow-match safety bucket, and other various buckets and bucket-forms in various states of finish.

Strips of thin walnut were glued around the forms, and then the top of the form is removed to open the mouth of the bucket. I put strips of masking tape around the lip of the top of the forms, so any glue seepage would have less of a chance of adhering the walnut strips to the form tops, making final removal easier. I also would leave a 2-strip wide slot in the row of walnut strips so I could get a drillbit and blade inside the bucket to sever the balsa post linking the top and bottom of the forms, making final removal of the form top easier. Then slot in the last two strips of walnut to complete the bucket walls, and then sanding and evening out the top and bottom edges.

Interesting tidbit about the slow-match buckets, the slow-match for igniting cannons were balanced on the edge of a bucket of water, so any seriously jostling from ship movement or battle would cause the slow-match to drop into the water and extinguish the match. Fire was one of the biggest dangers on sailing ships, and many measures were taken to lower fire risk. Many ships were lost simply from a small fire breaking out and detonating the stores of gunpowder. Even well into the age where cannons were ignited by flintlock cartridges, they would still keep slow-match in a bucket around in case the flintlocks were lost or fouled.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Tamiya is a releasing a Ukrainian military version of the 2A6 Leopard tank:
https://tamiyablog.com/2023/03/boxart-of-tamiya-25207-1-35-leopard-2a6-tank-ukraine/

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I don't usually do haul/stash posts but a guy in my local club was selling off lots of his stash so I took most of 1/700 stuff off him, and he only wanted a £100 donation to the RNLI (lifeboats charity) in return. Pretty excited by some of this stuff!

Resin kits - EV Model Type 26 Frigate, Orange Hobby HMS Ocean, L'Arsenal USS New York & HMS Fearless/Intrepid

Mix of plastic kits

Masses of 700th accessories and aircraft

A couple of my pals are doing a 1/72 B-36 buddy build at the moment, and now I've acquired 6 B-36s in 1/700 it would be rude for me not to join them by building an airfield diorama with all 6 of them parked up.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A couple of my pals are doing a 1/72 B-36 buddy build at the moment, and now I've acquired 6 B-36s in 1/700 it would be rude for me not to join them by building an airfield diorama with all 6 of them parked up.

When you show pics to them, do everything you can to conceal the scale and see if you can convince them you built a 1:72 scale diorama with B-36s

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Do a diorama of that time a tornado took out most of SAC.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2019/06/carswell-air-force-base-results-of.html?m=1

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
An elephant walk diorama of 1:700 B-36s on the wing of a 1:72 B-36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

oh.

not a Panavia.

never mind.