Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I agree that the overall enemy roster in unreal kind of lame, and although I appreciate the weirdness some of the weapons brought (a shotgun that can shoot a grenade shell!) q2's weapons are all really solid workhorses. I loved q2 at the time but unreal creamed it in terms of atmosphere and environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What about a game with weaponfeel on the level of Quake 2, environments on the level of Unreal, and enemies on the level of Half-Life?

I mean Half-Life also had good environments and weapons but let's just mix and match things here.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm sorry are we calling Q2's weaponfeel good now? :psyduck:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HolyKrap posted:

HL1 platforming is decent as far as first person jumping goes imo. You have plenty of control in the air and when you land. Hell you can even hop and curve around corners without losing momentum. Goldsrc movement is as predictable as it can get. I'm a little biased when it comes to crouch jumping or long jumping though, hl1 was my first real PC game and I played it and tons of mods religiously growing up. I get that it's not really intuitive but if you're just piloting a box with legs, it makes sense.

Also, I love Xen.:smug: Desolate floating alien rock dimensions are pretty cool

The second part of this complete gibberish but you are right that the platforming isn't honestly that bad. In fact it's pretty good. Responsive as hell

e: I am so unbelievably pumped for steam sale you clowns don't even know

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 16, 2023

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Mordja posted:

both shotguns feel great and the railgun is S tier. while the rest aren't great they still have more impact than most of the Unreal arsenal, where you can fire 4 rockets at a Skaarj and they lift slightly off the ground and remain unharmed and don't even flinch

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
As someone who loves new blood stuff would I like devil daggers?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mordja posted:

Quake 2's guns were always great.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The pistol is bad and the machine gun is mediocre, but the rest are okay.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

As someone who loves new blood stuff would I like devil daggers?

Maybe? It helps a lot if you like chasing high scores.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mordja posted:

Q2's super shotgun, grenade launcher, railgun and chaingun are all all-timers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Peewi posted:

Maybe? It helps a lot if you like chasing high scores.

Is it just the one arena floating in a void? I kinda love the look of it but if there's no proper levels I'll probably pass

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Weird Sandwich posted:

The pistol is bad and the machine gun is mediocre, but the rest are okay.

The pistol is the equivalent of fists though.

The lack of good muzzle flashes is pretty much the only issue with q2's arsenal broadly. I really like the way the bfg10k works instead of the original doom bfg.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is it just the one arena floating in a void? I kinda love the look of it but if there's no proper levels I'll probably pass

It is purely a high score survival game. It's neat because the movement and combat is really tight but it's an extremely difficult arena game only, no levels.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cool. If it drops enough might give it a shot otherwise... Neon white looks p cool any players?

Bumhead posted:

On the subject of HL1: MMOD, I've got a stupid question.

Is it a mod for your existing copy of Half Life? Or is it effectively a new game with its own launcher? Just curious how it mechanically functions on Steam.

On mine it's in its own slot in the library. Couldn't tell you the ins and outs of it other than that. Both are however installed at the same time so if you were wondering if it could run without I assume not

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Neon White is pretty great but it's also pretty far from this thread's wheelhouse. The focus is on perfecting timed runs so the guns are more like puzzle pieces and the enemies don't move and barely attack. Also wrapped around this is what appears at first to be a rather cringe visual novel

I should also mention that it deleted my save about 75% of the way through, but I was enjoying it until then

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 16, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't really get the love for the railgun outside of multiplayer. It's just a hitscan sniper rifle with a particle effect. It's very slow to fire too. I would say Quake 2 probably has one of the worst weapon sets as far as individual utility. You can just use whichever weapon currently has ammo and nothing really changes besides effect that comes out of it. Weapon choice doesn't have a whole lot of tactical impact. Enemies barely reacting to getting shot doesn't help.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket launcher and bfg were weak, the rest was good.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Volte posted:

I don't really get the love for the railgun outside of multiplayer. It's just a hitscan sniper rifle with a particle effect. It's very slow to fire too. I would say Quake 2 probably has one of the worst weapon sets as far as individual utility. You can just use whichever weapon currently has ammo and nothing really changes besides effect that comes out of it. Weapon choice doesn't have a whole lot of tactical impact. Enemies barely reacting to getting shot doesn't help.

Enemies reacted to getting hit with the railgun by turning into a spray of giblets :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

I don't really get the love for the railgun outside of multiplayer. It's just a hitscan sniper rifle with a particle effect. It's very slow to fire too.
I don't think any of Id's previous titles had previously had a "sniper" weapon (the chaingun doesn't count!) so it was a new type of weapon for their games. The audiovisual effect was also very distinct and memorable, and the trail also helped the potential issues of camping snipers by drawing a literal Big Dotted Line straight back to the source. High risk (if you miss your opponent knows exactly where you are and you're gonna be vulnerable for a second), high reward (if you hit your opponent is salsa) with a cool sound effect and distinctive visuals. IMHO it's not hard to see how it made its mark!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

bbcisdabomb posted:

Enemies reacted to getting hit with the railgun by turning into a spray of giblets :colbert:
That's how they react to getting hit with every gun

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Kins posted:

I don't think any of Id's previous titles had previously had a "sniper" weapon (the chaingun doesn't count!) so it was a new type of weapon for their games. The audiovisual effect was also very distinct and memorable, and the trail also helped the potential issues of camping snipers by drawing a literal Big Dotted Line straight back to the source. High risk (if you miss your opponent knows exactly where you are and you're gonna be vulnerable for a second), high reward (if you hit your opponent is salsa) with a cool sound effect and distinctive visuals. IMHO it's not hard to see how it made its mark!
Yeah, as a multiplayer weapon it's an all-timer. As a single-player weapon I don't know if there's ever a situation where it's the best weapon for the job. Maybe if you get a long hallway with a bunch of enemies all perfectly lined up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, this thread made me reinstall Quake 2 and even in the opening moments I don't think I'm going to stick with this lmao.

You start off with the incredibly lovely pistol, can find a crappy grenade in a secret, and then you get a crappy machine gun that's wildly inaccurate even in short 3 round bursts while facing kinda spongey enemies right off the bat.

Even Quake 1 gives you a shotgun to start and it's glorious.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 16, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Secret mission objective: find a powerful weapon.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Deakul posted:

Well, this thread made me reinstall Quake 2 and even in the opening moments I don't think I'm going to stick with this lmao.

You start off with the incredibly lovely pistol, can find a crappy grenade in a secret, and then you get a crappy machine gun that's wildly inaccurate even in short 3 round bursts while facing kinda spongey enemies right off the bat.

Take a left through the broken wall and you get a shotgun after fighting two guys. It's also technically in a secret but it's the tutorial secret, if you miss it that's on you.

I fondly remember Q2 but the start of the game really kinda sucks. Once you can start opening up with the chaingun and the SSG it gets a lot better, but getting there is rough.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

bbcisdabomb posted:

Take a left through the broken wall and you get a shotgun after fighting two guys. It's also technically in a secret but it's the tutorial secret, if you miss it that's on you.

I fondly remember Q2 but the start of the game really kinda sucks. Once you can start opening up with the chaingun and the SSG it gets a lot better, but getting there is rough.

It is just so much brown and orange. It's not that there aren't strong parts, but it is absolutely 100% brown and orange tech base the whole time.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

shoeberto posted:

It is just so much brown and orange. It's not that there aren't strong parts, but it is absolutely 100% brown and orange tech base the whole time.

That's what makes Unreal so much better--yes, its gameplay has problems but its environmental design, atmosphere, music, and mood vastly eclipse Quake II and most modern boomer shooters. There is a great deal of variety to the environments and assets yet it still feels all of one piece.

And Quake II didn't just have dull environment design but dull music too. It's just a groove metal riff salad with the same post-Pantera noise blaster guitar tone throughout. It conveys no feeling or atmosphere at all; it's just heavy for the sake of being heavy. Quake II is a game without a heart.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlD0anb2qyg

thank you hakita very cool

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I liked Q2 back in the day but now as adult with taste and handsome I like Quake 1 more overall. Would rather play UT2k4 over quake 3.

I get kinda bored when playing quake 2.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh poo poo. Is this P-2?

e: oh my god it's everything but act 3.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

P-2, 5-S and a new developer museum, amongst other things

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm just so happy. Getting viscerafest, fashion police squad and a giant ultrakill update on the same day. Looks like sleep is off the menu

e: we should probably spoiler tag anything pertinent going forward, just saying.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the level design leaves something to be desired and the enemy animations are a little floaty in a way that I always find distracting.

There's a lot of really solid stuff in q2, and it had a fantastic dm, but there's a complete lack of vibe and it's really hampered by being called quake.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Deakul posted:

I always thought the machine gun was fun to use, and unlike in 1998, now we all are good enough with mouse aiming to easily compensate the recoil.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I still suck at aiming ill have you know. At least with hitscan stuff

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Turin Turambar posted:

I always thought the machine gun was fun to use, and unlike in 1998, now we all are good enough with mouse aiming to easily compensate the recoil.

Nah my aim has never really improved in my 20+ years of gaming but the Q2 MG doesn't so much require aiming as it does prayer that it even hits anything at all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Deakul posted:

Nah my aim has never really improved in my 20+ years of gaming but the Q2 MG doesn't so much require aiming as it does prayer that it even hits anything at all.

For me, Quake 2 was my first game where I played with the wasd + mouse combo, so back then moving around, aiming and controlling the recoil was a bit too much, and the machine gun always went to the sky.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

repiv posted:

P-2, 5-S and a new developer museum, amongst other things

You play it yet? I'm completely stuck. Not stuck at a particular part since I'm doing it on harmless, but there's a lot of arenas involving idol and one is not accessible and everything else is dead. Very strange

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Secret mission objective: find THE BIG GUN.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

You play it yet? I'm completely stuck. Not stuck at a particular part since I'm doing it on harmless, but there's a lot of arenas involving idol and one is not accessible and everything else is dead. Very strange

not yet, i put off P ranking some of the later levels for too long and now i need to clean them up

i could probably use the practice before jumping into P-2 anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah it's gonna be a pain. I don't think I'll be able to do it on Violent tbh. We'll see