Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
They, quite literally, have had people who have partaken in scams in the past vis a vis gizmondo on their payroll since day 1. Roberts himself scammed Microsoft. He was also sued for scamming people while in Hollywood. There is absolutely no chance it hasn’t been an absolute scam since day 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Cutedge posted:

They are selling new 1600 dollar spaceship packages. You can buy them and get access to the game immediately. It is, for all intents and purposes, a live game. This entire "we'll sell you a product but it's a piece of poo poo so we'll call it an alpha so we're safe from criticism lol" is just nonsense. Game companies need to stop trying to have their cake and eat it too on this.

edit: You know what, here's a better argument. They are running ads and marketing to get people to buy into this alpha. I'm sorry, that's not an alpha. That's a live game.

lmao there's a $15k $27k $36k $40k package you are only allowed to look at once you've already spent $1k

https://www.mmobomb.com/news/star-citizen-offers-pack-loads-of-starships-40-000

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/SVXJpE8.mp4

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Why is Davey Crocket spinning his hat on the ground?

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

i am a moron posted:

They, quite literally, have had people who have partaken in scams in the past vis a vis gizmondo on their payroll since day 1. Roberts himself scammed Microsoft. He was also sued for scamming people while in Hollywood. There is absolutely no chance it hasn’t been an absolute scam since day 1

Yeah, all the shell companies are a sure sign. People don't do that honestly.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Related question, has there ever been a successful lawsuit against a kickstarter that just took the money and ran? I'm assuming SC monies just come from kickstarter and selling whatever crap through their game.

I haven't looked at kickstarter too much but it seems like there is just a whole bunch of project that fail even if it is legitimate, and it doesn't seem like there is any real protection for people donating through it. So like what would the basis of the lawsuit be? Seems sort of like a "you knew the risks" thing.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

dr_rat posted:

Related question, has there ever been a successful lawsuit against a kickstarter that just took the money and ran? I'm assuming SC monies just come from kickstarter and selling whatever crap through their game.

I haven't looked at kickstarter too much but it seems like there is just a whole bunch of project that fail even if it is legitimate, and it doesn't seem like there is any real protection for people donating through it. So like what would the basis of the lawsuit be? Seems sort of like a "you knew the risks" thing.

Only a small amount of the half a billion dollars they've burned came from the Kickstarter campaign; if CIG's to be believed about it, they only went to Kickstarter because they couldn't get their own fundraising site up and running quickly enough.

But to answer the question, no, there isn't any real protection for people donating through Kickstarter, and there was even less protection back when Star Citizen was raising money there. No chance a lawsuit's gonna get anywhere, especially with the changes in Star Citizen's terms of service, and their time-honored "we're still working on the game so you can't claim we ripped you off yet, also we already delivered something playable so we don't owe you anything more" line apparently went over pretty well whenever someone sued 'em for a refund.

Chris and his team of grifters are going to keep every fuckin' penny they paid themselves of backer money when this is over, guaranteed.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Trilobite posted:

Only a small amount of the half a billion dollars they've burned came from the Kickstarter campaign; if CIG's to be believed about it, they only went to Kickstarter because they couldn't get their own fundraising site up and running quickly enough.

But to answer the question, no, there isn't any real protection for people donating through Kickstarter, and there was even less protection back when Star Citizen was raising money there. No chance a lawsuit's gonna get anywhere, especially with the changes in Star Citizen's terms of service, and their time-honored "we're still working on the game so you can't claim we ripped you off yet, also we already delivered something playable so we don't owe you anything more" line apparently went over pretty well whenever someone sued 'em for a refund.

Chris and his team of grifters are going to keep every fuckin' penny they paid themselves of backer money when this is over, guaranteed.

its real unfortunate but they wouldn't have bothered trying to keep the money flowing in after the kickstarter, unless chris and ortwin consulted some really expensive lawyers first to make sure it was all 100% rock solid they were un-touchable

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A lot of backers point to Chris' relatively meager salary as evidence it's not a scam (it's still a lot of money) but that ignores that Chris Roberts has been gifted a company of 700+ employees and whatever assets they own completely free of charge with presumably zero debt on the books. If CIG ever decides to shut down or Chris wants to sell it off that's probably a nice chunk of money in a liquidation/sale.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Do they publish detailed finances (I'm guessing hell no)? If not I'm guessing he also has a hell of an expense account. If food, travel, health insurance, car, clothes are all taken care of, that can add up to not an insignificant amount of money.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Popete posted:

A lot of backers point to Chris' relatively meager salary as evidence it's not a scam (it's still a lot of money) but that ignores that Chris Roberts has been gifted a company of 700+ employees and whatever assets they own completely free of charge with presumably zero debt on the books. If CIG ever decides to shut down or Chris wants to sell it off that's probably a nice chunk of money in a liquidation/sale.

Didn’t he sell the IP to his own company for a shitload of money? I remember something like this.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is blobbers spinning this debacle?

I need Joe in my life. Anyone knows if he’s still around? He shoulda been in full swing by now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Do they publish detailed finances (I'm guessing hell no)? If not I'm guessing he also has a hell of an expense account. If food, travel, health insurance, car, clothes are all taken care of, that can add up to not an insignificant amount of money.

They promised to and then walked that promise back as soon as it would have had to happen, iirc.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dr_rat posted:

The reason they put up shell companies outside of UK is so they don't have to, since UK forces you to make such records public.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

colonelwest posted:

Deskeletonization has been added for Tier 0 Stimperial Gameplay…
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...utm_name=iossmf

The attachment system that came with the engine is somehow broken…

BY THE STIMPEROR :catstare: That man is experiencing both deskeletonization and the worst kind of electricity.

Unfotunately these are both the same link, what's the attachment one?

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

MedicineHut posted:

I need Joe in my life. Anyone knows if he’s still around? He shoulda been in full swing by now.

I only ever saw him on MassivelyOP but they rarely run SC articles anymore.

*Of course their top commented article as soon as I started writing this post is on 3.18 lol. No Blobbers in sight though but he usually waits until everyone's over the story and won't bother replying to his nonsense

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

colonelwest posted:

Deskeletonization has been added for Tier 0 Stimperial Gameplay…

Interesting that they're doing a crossover with Junji Ito's Uzumaki of all things.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

dr_rat posted:

There are actually several sued kickstarters that I'm aware of but I can't remember all the names.

Guy that somehow failed to deliver a deck of cards: https://www.seattlemet.com/news-and-city-life/2015/10/washington-state-sued-a-failed-kickstarter-project-and-won
Couldn't deliver a 'smart' backpack: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/11/21254802/ibackpack-creator-ftc-settlement-crowdfunding-shipping
The legendary Coolest Cooler debacle: https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2020/12/coolest-cooler-in-final-accounting-cost-its-kickstarter-backers-more-than-4-million.html
There's a couple drone related ones but I don't think Lily was on kickstarter: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/facing-unlawful-business-suit-drone-startup-with-34m-in-pre-orders-closes/

Your definition of 'success' here may vary because some of them ended up compensating the victims very little.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the real issue with the kickstarters is that even 'legitimately failed' kickstarters burn through 100% of the money trying to fulfill their promises. The people who are too incompetent to complete their kickstarter are also too incompetent to cut their losses.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

There are actually several sued kickstarters that I'm aware of but I can't remember all the names.

Hmm, yeah there actually seems to be a bit of variety in there, but seems the big similarity is that a lot or all of the people got nothing, and at least one of them seem to have proof the guy just spent all the kickstarter money on themselves and bitcoin.

Think unless conversations leak where they are literally saying "hey what a cool, cool scam we're pulling with this whole Star Citzen thing on all those people who gave us money" a lawsuit probably wouldn't go very far.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah in any future Space Court scenario, CIG can claim that they made a good faith effort to finish the game and that they have a playable product out now, and it will pretty much need there. No one is going to be interested in looking back through a decade plus of rambling videos and forums posts by CIG to determine wether they delivered what was actually promised or even ever had the intention to.

The only consequences Chris could face is if he defrauded the tax man or investors. No government is going to give a poo poo about the nerd who bought an Idris.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Star Citizen: embarrassingly bad, even by star citizen standards

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I guess I need to go take a look at how bad it is.

For what it's worth, I think it's extremely improbable that star citizen started as a scam, but that only makes the ensuing conversation of "when does something like this become a scam" more interesting.

It's my assumption that at some point the development process was hopelessly mired in tech debt and the prevailing incentive shifted to maximizing ship sales, and it's not hard to imagine that there's some critical intent threshold you can pass where at least some of the higher ups KNOW the game development process is a disaster, but its a disaster that continues to support them as long as you refashion an eternal "alpha" as a salesfloor

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

quote:

Roberts has since claimed that Star Citizen is a spiritual successor to both Wing Commander and Freelancer. Pre-production of Star Citizen began in 2010 and so making 2023 it's 13th year in development. The single player game SQ42, originally slated for release in 2014 is still MIA and the Star Citizen MMO is still in a pre alpha state.

quote:

Beginning in 1961, the Apollo program consisted of 11 total spaceflights; four of those tested equipment, and six of the other seven flights landed people on the moon, according to NASA. The first crewed flight occurred in 1968, and the final mission occurred in 1972.

:yarg::yarg::yarg::yarg:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah but obviously Star Citizen will be much more important to humanity than the Apollo program in the long run, so of course it's going to take a decade or two longer to complete.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Randalor posted:

Interesting that they're doing a crossover with Junji Ito's Uzumaki of all things.
This is my Stimpire! It was made for me!

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Popete posted:

If CIG ever decides to shut down or Chris wants to sell it off that's probably a nice chunk of money in a liquidation/sale.

This has already happened. Chris personally pocketed $5mil with the sale of shares to the Calders.

Also CIG (or a shell company managing rights licensing) paid Chris $1mil right from the rip. Chris sold his idea to his own company (with capital extracted from backers).

Moreover, we don't even know CR's salary. We only know Erin's.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 16, 2023

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I did something similar.

I made my desktop background the RSI Orion as a reminder of just how much money i threw the gently caress away.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

You know what, I'd love to see this at my work lol

I'd totally play dumb and ask whoever to tell me about these ships

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
They had a refund clause in the terms of service that they quietly removed when the deadline was reached.

That was 2017 i think? If it didn’t start as a scam, it was one then.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

holtemon posted:

You know what, I'd love to see this at my work lol

I'd totally play dumb and ask whoever to tell me about these ships

I'd ask them if they're excited for Starfield.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Decon posted:

I'd ask them if they're excited for Starfield.

Or if those are new ships in elite

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

They had a refund clause in the terms of service that they quietly removed when the deadline was reached.

That was 2017 i think? If it didn’t start as a scam, it was one then.

I'd say that's a great spot to plant the 'now officially a scam' flag in the timeline of this debacle

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I'm getting pretty old so I too have issues with leaking gas clouds

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Cutedge posted:

I'm getting pretty old so I too have issues with leaking gas clouds

"It is detrimental..."

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Words are hard man, you shouldn't judge them. They barely entered high school

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Pretty clear that's not a native english speaker. Still funny though.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Fysiks :trustme:

Also the game is now full of dead bodies everywhere. Players will log out and the super advanced and immersive PES tech decides to keep their lifeless avatars (and sometimes ships) hanging about.

quote:

The creepy side of persistance - Hundreds of floating bodies around port Tressler

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 17, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You're telling me CIG didn't think about the consequences of people being able to dump items and bodies anywhere in the world indefinitely (or some undefined item limit starts culling them supposedly)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Popete posted:

You're telling me CIG didn't think about the consequences of people being able to dump items and bodies anywhere in the world indefinitely (or some undefined item limit starts culling them supposedly)?