Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember a buddy and mine set up under a giant redwood tree years ago on a server. I think our MFR tree farm touched one of the roots so the harvester proceeded to eat the whole tree. We came back to a hole in the ground where our base was, a sign somebody had put up which read "I'm sorry for your loss."

Not quite as impactful as when I used a Sacred Sapling in a skyblock without understanding it was about to delete a huge chunk of my base to place that huge fuckoff tree structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Ah finally I've got the Digital Miner. Now how does this thing work?

dirt -dirt - cobblestone - cobblestone - ME Cable - ME Cable - Igneous Extruder - Fluxduct - Storage Drawer - Storage Drawer - Reinforced Glass - Reinforced Glass - Reactor Cas

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My new big project is using bonsai pot's absurd growth rate for crimson wood and allthemodium axes having infinite durability to get a bunch of crimson planks to replace all the flammable wood in the mansion.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember a buddy and mine set up under a giant redwood tree years ago on a server. I think our MFR tree farm touched one of the roots so the harvester proceeded to eat the whole tree. We came back to a hole in the ground where our base was, a sign somebody had put up which read "I'm sorry for your loss."

i was working on getting wool of every color to decorate on a skyblock recently and ended up with 2 of every color of sheep in a quadrant-sectioned platform for sheep, pigs, chickens, and cows. I had all the different kinds of animals in huge numbers and finally managed to get all the sheep together in one pen. AFKed overnight to let a mob farm run, next day the wooden fence around the sheep enclosure was gone.

Lesson learned: livestock get stone walls

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

"ehhh, this should be a safe distance from my base to open this chance cube"

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

AceClown posted:

"ehhh, this should be a safe distance from my base to open this chance cube"

The only safe distance is "in a dimension you don't care about"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McFrugal posted:

The only safe distance is "in a dimension you don't care about"

code:

Chance Cubes v1.14.45-MC1.19

-Added two cross dimensional builds to giant chance cubes

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

code:
Chance Cubes v1.14.45-MC1.19

-Added two cross dimensional builds to giant chance cubes

Jesus christ.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

For those of you with the greg infection in your brains, Threefold posted a video with some of the new features in GTNH 2.3.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9Wq5AKCfk

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

McFrugal posted:

Jesus christ.

If one of them isn't "swap the chunk around your spawn point with one from the current dimension" I'd be disappointed.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For those of you with the greg infection in your brains, Threefold posted a video with some of the new features in GTNH 2.3.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9Wq5AKCfk

is this still on Minecraft 0.8.3 alpha or some other super old poo poo?

1.7.10, ugh. Rubidium has spoiled me and I don't want go back to Optifine. Minecraft 1.16+ or bust!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

is this still on Minecraft 0.8.3 alpha or some other super old poo poo?

1.7.10, ugh. Rubidium has spoiled me and I don't want go back to Optifine. Minecraft 1.16+ or bust!

It's insane the amount of stuff they've done to modernize their version of 1.7.10. It's completely different from a typical modpack of that era, give it a chance if that's really the thing holding you back.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RandomBlue posted:

The madmen and madwomen of the GTNH dev team are actually creating an open source alternative to optifine due to its dated, insane licensing. Also, they are making a mod called "Neodymium", which is probably going to have fixes similar to Sodium, etc (just guessing based on the name.) I believe the goal is to eliminate fastcraft and optifine entirely for open source, permissive license mods.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Knowing how Gregtech was initially received around here, it's really funny to hear the team behind it these days is at the forefront of modding advancement and permissive licensing. But yeah it's super impressive what that team is creating. That 2.3 video listed a number of them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Knowing how Gregtech was initially received around here, it's really funny to hear the team behind it these days is at the forefront of modding advancement and permissive licensing.

It feels like a relic from the early days of Technic and the mod distribution drama that erupted, honestly. Still, the devs of GTNH take it deadly seriously, to the point of creating entirely new mods just to clone the content of All Rights Reserved mods like IC2 and GalaxySpace.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It feels like a relic from the early days of Technic and the mod distribution drama that erupted, honestly. Still, the devs of GTNH take it deadly seriously, to the point of creating entirely new mods just to clone the content of All Rights Reserved mods like IC2 and GalaxySpace.

Yeah, even if GTNH is Entirely Too Much for my tastes, I can respect the hell out of what they're doing.

If they ever made a less-grindy variant of the pack I'd probably love it, but I couldn't even commit to Nomifactory past the start of EV because of poo poo like Lumium and Signalum; the idea that I could endure the poo poo GTNH asks of you is laughable.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

anyone know the texture pack used here? it has a cool kinda cell shaded look, i like it. I know there's a shader on there too but i can figure that out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

anyone know the texture pack used here? it has a cool kinda cell shaded look, i like it. I know there's a shader on there too but i can figure that out.

Those are vanilla textures with BSL shaders.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Jesus christ.

I clearly should have been more clear this post was, for now, a joke

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

StealthArcher posted:

I am, no joke, disappointed. Chance Cubes are the stupidest poo poo and I'm of the opinion they should continue to do the stupidest poo poo.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

I am, no joke, disappointed. Chance Cubes are the stupidest poo poo and I'm of the opinion they should continue to do the stupidest poo poo.

Every server needs a room filled with melons/bookcases/other random blocks, 1/3 of a village, covered in lava, surrounded by a woodland mansion :hai:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Having fun with Nomifactory GTCEu Port. It's GT without the horrendous grind.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bawk posted:

Every server needs a room filled with melons/bookcases/other random blocks, 1/3 of a village, covered in lava, surrounded by a woodland mansion :hai:

And then sometime after, a massive hole in the ground.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

FPzero posted:

Knowing how Gregtech was initially received around here, it's really funny to hear the team behind it these days is at the forefront of modding advancement and permissive licensing. But yeah it's super impressive what that team is creating. That 2.3 video listed a number of them.

TBH, I think this is more due to the fact that everyone that's left still posting / lurking in this thread (including myself!) has a very serious case of brainworms. Everyone who didn't, quit playing / following modded Minecraft years ago.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol pretty much, i get funny looks from my friends when im talking about playing modded minecraft in 2023, though i bet some would totally be game for some gregtech shenanigans.

i started over in 2.3.0 as well, i wasnt too far in and a fresh slate with what i know now from watching some videos will help.

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 18, 2023

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

You rapscallion!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

RandomBlue posted:

Having fun with Nomifactory GTCEu Port. It's GT without the horrendous grind.

Yeah, it’s like Nomifactory++. I just recently started it myself and am beginning the MV age and it’s definitely more challenging. No more, “grind up and electrolyze free furnaces for oxygen,” style gimmicks. I think about how much more GTNH puts you through and can’t imagine how anyone has the patience for it. Probably pays to be 20 years younger lol.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

think of it as having immeasurably more milestones, i guess. if you get the dopamine from progress, it's probably amazing

i do love gregtech but i tend to drop off once the initial itch gets scratched

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I like how this version of GTNH had a message at the beginning of the quest book basically saying "hey don't worry about getting to the end of the book, very few people do. just enjoy yourself and set your own milestones for how far you want to go." I'm gonna follow that advice as I play.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lordshmee posted:

Yeah, it’s like Nomifactory++. I just recently started it myself and am beginning the MV age and it’s definitely more challenging. No more, “grind up and electrolyze free furnaces for oxygen,” style gimmicks. I think about how much more GTNH puts you through and can’t imagine how anyone has the patience for it. Probably pays to be 20 years younger lol.
Wait, so is it more grind or less grind, because this sounds worse, not better.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I think they meant grind as the "grind up something into powder" sense, not a "perform rote game tasks over a long period of time" sense.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think they meant grind as the "grind up something into powder" sense, not a "perform rote game tasks over a long period of time" sense.
I get that, but "shortcut" recipes to easily provide materials you'll need in bulk made the pack easier to get through. If those were removed or nerfed, you'll be facing more rote game tasks over a long period of time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I get that, but "shortcut" recipes to easily provide materials you'll need in bulk made the pack easier to get through. If those were removed or nerfed, you'll be facing more rote game tasks over a long period of time.

It's not really possible to compare omnifactory to GTNH; they use wildly different versions of Minecraft, GregTech, and all of the added mods in question. That being said, GTNH has tons of that sort of stuff. Oxygen, for example -- you start with electrolyzing water, then get liquid air centrifuging and electrolysis of sugar, then fully automated EXTREME industrial greenhouses making "sweed" for bulk sugar electrolysis, capping off with the space elevator pumping oxygen and bringing it back down to earth. (Maybe the Eye of Harmony can also make it? Not sure.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's not really possible to compare omnifactory to GTNH; they use wildly different versions of Minecraft, GregTech, and all of the added mods in question. That being said, GTNH has tons of that sort of stuff. Oxygen, for example -- you start with electrolyzing water, then get liquid air centrifuging and electrolysis of sugar, then fully automated EXTREME industrial greenhouses making "sweed" for bulk sugar electrolysis, capping off with the space elevator pumping oxygen and bringing it back down to earth. (Maybe the Eye of Harmony can also make it? Not sure.)
I guess I missed a step because I didn't think we were talking about GTNH. Randomblue and Lordshmee were discussing Nomifactory GTCEu and I thought the mention of GTNH was just that it seemed more in-depth. I didn't realize the furnace grinding/electrolyzing was a reference to GTNH practices, not Nomifactory.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I guess I missed a step because I didn't think we were talking about GTNH. Randomblue and Lordshmee were discussing Nomifactory GTCEu and I thought the mention of GTNH was just that it seemed more in-depth. I didn't realize the furnace grinding/electrolyzing was a reference to GTNH practices, not Nomifactory.

It's the opposite, furnace grinding is a nomifactory thing. But, yeah, they aren't really comparable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's the opposite, furnace grinding is a nomifactory thing. But, yeah, they aren't really comparable.
Okay, then I don't think anyone was talking about GTNH in this line of discussion and now I'm very confused

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I definitely meant that the CEu version is more grindy than regular Nomifactory. I’m still figuring out whether I’m going to keep at it or not. It’s GT Lite, but not as lite as the vanilla Nomifactory implementation. Most of the “oh thank god” conveniences are not present. Like, I need oxygen now, and at this point the only way I can really start is to wait 80 seconds to centrifuge air for 1 bucket. It uh… really sucks actually, lol.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 18, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
NomiCEU is just at that level of grind that you might as well go full GTNH for all the other stuff.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Lordshmee posted:

I definitely meant that the CEu version is more grindy than regular Nomifactory. I’m still figuring out whether I’m going to keep at it or not. It’s GT Lite, but not as lite as the vanilla Nomifactory implementation. Most of the “oh thank god” conveniences are not present. Like, I need oxygen now, and at this point the only way I can really start is to wait 80 seconds to centrifuge air for 1 bucket. It uh… really sucks actually, lol.

You can't get oxygen from water or sugar? I guess some ore types have it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
You absolutely can electrolyze water. It takes 75 seconds instead of 80. As it happens, I should have read the quest book a little closer, as the much faster starter option is in fact to electrolyze silicon dioxide just like vanilla Nomi, except you get it now from grinding glass, not furnaces.

Vib Rib posted:

Let’s put it this way - I just made my first Diodes… and it was an achievement.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 18, 2023