Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

At some point aren't you safer just in an unmarked corolla or something lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

At some point aren't you safer just in an unmarked corolla or something lol.

I mean we do have a little history of assassinating presidents and we can all get a rifle if we want one and practice shooting it.

But I feel like if there were enough idiots out there that really truly wanted to kill presidents we'd have a lot more assassinated presidents than we do. It's just impossible to make them totally safe. A little twerp who had a crush on Jodie Foster almost got Reagan, and he barely had a plan. A Manson family member might have gotten Ford if she was really trying or if she wasn't an idiot, it's unsure which of those is true--or both. And she didn't have any plan at all.

So it seems good from the presidents' side that there are not really all that many people out there trying to assassinate them is my takeaway. Very very few people are actually trying to kill you, we could perhaps tone it down a bit and maybe get rid of a few guns in the nation here and there?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Speaking of Charleston SC, boss told me today I have to fly there at the end of this month. Our office there is moving up the street, literally 0.2 miles, and as Senior IT Engineer I get to unplug computers and stuff and then plug them in at the new office. Flights and hotel on the company dime, meals and transportation reimbursed.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

New Mando episode was... brutal. Woof

Season isn't looking great

I'm a half hour into it and it seems fine?

Not something I expected to see in Mando but the topic seems relevant in showing what the galaxy is like post empire

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Intruder posted:

New Mando episode was... brutal. Woof

Season isn't looking great

I didn’t especially enjoy the episode, but I do kind of respect them not only doing a shaggy dog story like that, but also making it drat near the longest episode of the series.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Ohhh just got a late night email that I might need to get a writ tomorrow. I have never got one in all my years here so this is new but it does mean I have to go to the actual superior court for it, I guess. We'll see in the morning.

Meanwhile, both cats have decided to come sleep with or on me tonight and it's nice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Grittybeard posted:

I mean we do have a little history of assassinating presidents and we can all get a rifle if we want one and practice shooting it.

But I feel like if there were enough idiots out there that really truly wanted to kill presidents we'd have a lot more assassinated presidents than we do. It's just impossible to make them totally safe. A little twerp who had a crush on Jodie Foster almost got Reagan, and he barely had a plan. A Manson family member might have gotten Ford if she was really trying or if she wasn't an idiot, it's unsure which of those is true--or both. And she didn't have any plan at all.

So it seems good from the presidents' side that there are not really all that many people out there trying to assassinate them is my takeaway. Very very few people are actually trying to kill you, we could perhaps tone it down a bit and maybe get rid of a few guns in the nation here and there?

The assassination attempt on Reagan gave us the Brady Bill, which is the federal background check when purchasing firearms. If you wonder why there aren't more gun control laws in the US you should be asking yourself, "why aren't there more people trying to assassinate Republican presidents?"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I mean, someone shot up the Republican house softball team and there wasn't even a peep about gun control out of them

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, someone shot up the Republican house softball team and there wasn't even a peep about gun control out of them

Yeah my cynical dream world of imagining the best I can in America is everyone gets issued a bolt action .22 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun at birth and those are your guns, that's all you get to have.

Create havoc as you must, or have fun hunting things with good shots. But do it on a smaller scale.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

posted this old video somewhere else

ADDIE TIME BITCHES GOOD MORNING

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Pitt St bridge. Great little park.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Man my company just fired a guy who'd been here for like 20 years. Just a reminder that you don't owe poo poo to your employer because they will cut you loose whenever they feel like it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

Addie is a great dog.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

The assassination attempt on Reagan gave us the Brady Bill, which is the federal background check when purchasing firearms. If you wonder why there aren't more gun control laws in the US you should be asking yourself, "why aren't there more people trying to assassinate Republican presidents?"

Hinckley is now selling his paintings on eBay and trying to tour with his acoustic guitar to limited success.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Android Apocalypse posted:

The real answer is to start having black people arming themselves and open carrying ala Black Panthers. In reality, I honestly think that todays version is going to be LGBT people doing that since a lot of them also have the benefit of being white so police will have a harder time shooting on site.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Man my company just fired a guy who'd been here for like 20 years. Just a reminder that you don't owe poo poo to your employer because they will cut you loose whenever they feel like it.

Talking to people about the guy who got fired here a week or so ago, I was real surprised how many of them were upset on his behalf because "[the company] didn't give him any warning, they just cut him loose". First off, that's just funny on its face because what the hell did they expect, HR to drop hints about him polishing up his resume?

Even more funny about it, though, is over the summer he went from working 5 days a week to 3. When I interrogated my coworkers about who had initiated that arrangement, they said "I think management/HR approached him about it, but he was happy to do because he is also a small/aspiring farmer and it gave him time to do that stuff". My coworkers didn't really agree when I said there you go, that was his warning. When a company is looking to cut costs and their first idea is "hey this guy doesn't need to be here full time", that is a huge red flag that your job isn't secure.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Lmao if you don’t know where at least a couple of the bodies are buried and a couple things that no one else knows so they have no choice but to keep you around.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
That also means you never get to really be on vacation since you are a single point of failure. I've been trying hard over the past several years to not be that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Gun control will never happen.

We already decided 20 first graders being brutally murdered is an acceptable price to maintain the 2nd.

What could convince people? 50 babies? They'd still make excuses.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

We already decided 20 first graders being brutally murdered is an acceptable price to maintain the 2nd.

Pretty much.

This country is constructed on performative security theater since Columbine and 9/11, and nothing of substance will ever been enacted.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

That also means you never get to really be on vacation since you are a single point of failure. I've been trying hard over the past several years to not be that.

If you are willing to say “I’m gone” and turn off your phone then you can be. And they miss you! I’m aware I’m also in an industry and company that is behind the times in terms of redundancy and best practice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BlindSite posted:

Kinda Disney txt right now. Everything they touch turns to poo poo.

I hope the rumours they were considering selling star war is true.

Can't believe Gina Carano was holding The Mandalorian franchise together, another L for Woke Hollywood.

swickles posted:

The real answer is to start having black people arming themselves and open carrying ala Black Panthers. In reality, I honestly think that todays version is going to be LGBT people doing that since a lot of them also have the benefit of being white so police will have a harder time shooting on site.

I know at least one trans person who is arming themselves and practicing their marksmanship, though she's also former ROTC so maybe it's more of a refresher than a new hobby.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It’s because we have unelected clerics that control this nation superior to all other branches. They blatantly stole a presidential election in 2000, have massively expanded the individual ability to own weapons designed to kill large amounts of people, and are in the process of enforcing hardcore rightwing theology down our throats and there’s basically nothing that can be done to stop them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

If you are willing to say “I’m gone” and turn off your phone then you can be. And they miss you! I’m aware I’m also in an industry and company that is behind the times in terms of redundancy and best practice.

This is me every night once I’m done, every weekend and every holiday. Boundaries are good.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I hope Cavuaro bought a gun

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bird in a Blender posted:

Why’d they fire him?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Why’d they fire him?

No clue, I'm trying to poke around to find out. He was in a different division from me, but we overlapped on some stuff. Like 3 years ago they took his job and split it into two positions because we had grown too much.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Never trust a company not to gently caress you. Loyalty is worthless nowadays. They have none and neither should you.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

wilderthanmild posted:

Never trust a company not to gently caress you. Loyalty is worthless nowadays. They have none and neither should you.

Loyalty is a fiction that’s sold to us to keep us under control.

It’s never been a thing.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

This. It's why anywhere that talks about being family is a huge red flag. I don't do that with my teams and I commit to and follow through on ensuring they have work life balance and take ample PTO, are paid fairly and get feedback early.

Also everyone I've encountered who was fired was definitely deserving and it wasn't a surprise. The few people I've exited had multiple chances and months to get their poo poo together but were either unwilling or incapable.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I know at least one trans person who is arming themselves and practicing their marksmanship, though she's also former ROTC so maybe it's more of a refresher than a new hobby.
It's probably because they're clued the gently caress in

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Happy start of March Madness to all those who celebrate :toot:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Freaquency posted:

Happy start of March Madness to all those who celebrate :toot:

My game doesn’t start until 940 but I bet it doesn’t actually start until after 10 and it’s DUMB because we’re probably gonna lose anyway but yeah I’m gonna stay up and watch it

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Go LSU Women. Other than that I have no clue about who’s supposed to win either side.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Neil Armbong posted:

This. It's why anywhere that talks about being family is a huge red flag. I don't do that with my teams and I commit to and follow through on ensuring they have work life balance and take ample PTO, are paid fairly and get feedback early.

Also everyone I've encountered who was fired was definitely deserving and it wasn't a surprise. The few people I've exited had multiple chances and months to get their poo poo together but were either unwilling or incapable.

I'll admit that my company is usually good about warning people. Like I doubt this was the fist time someone talked to him about performance, we also don't fire people very often. We have probably 100 office people, and we fire maybe 1 person a year. It's just always surprising when a long-timer is let go, something must have changed recently for that to happen.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Go LSU Women. Other than that I have no clue about who’s supposed to win either side.

For the men’s this year is ripe for big upsets. There’s not really a clear #1 at all. UNC was the preseason favorite but they didn’t even make the tournament and turned down the NIT. Duke is a 5 seed and Kentucky is a 6. Duke has been hot lately and Kentucky could very well lose early.

Bama is the #1 overall seed but they’re not without their faults either.

Lol who am I kidding Duke or Kentucky or Kansas will go on a run and still win it all

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Neil Armbong posted:

Big companies literally have mandates to drive you to quit rather than fire you, for obvious reasons relating to unemployment. This is a very real thing that I experienced with a colleague at a fortune 5 company.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Big companies literally have mandates to drive you to quit rather than fire you, for obvious reasons relating to unemployment. This is a very real thing that I experienced with a colleague at a fortune 5 company.

:hmmyes:

Every big company I've worked for and most I've heard of have a required breakdown for reviews that something like 15% of people are exceeding expectations, 65% are meeting expectations, and 20% are underperforming. Managers must make their reviews fit that breakdown, regardless of team size and skill.

At my last company those in the underperforming bucket were not given a merit raise and only received like 30% of their potential bonus. Real good tool to motivate people buckle down and update the old resume.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fifty Three posted:

It's probably because they're clued the gently caress in

Oh she definitely is, I just meant that she is working on skills she already has (probably a firearm that she already owned too, though I haven't asked).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

that's fair and context i should've included instead of speaking so definitively. i've been fortunate to not have dealt with that and also not dealing with explicit performance curves/buckets as I've worked exclusively in startups for my career.