Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Huggybear posted:

It doesn't look like it's been mentioned but the Brits used to down V1/V2 rockets in WWII by nudging its fins with their wings. Those were not remotely piloted, of course.

V1 flying bombs, really cruise missiles (the technology to intercept a V2, a ballistic missile, did not exist before the launch sites were lost), but the difference is the fastest British fighters had to push hard to catch and stay with them, as opposed to where a Su-27 needs to slow down to near stall speed to avoid overshooting the Reaper, which I'm led believe is a lot more dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Something a bit unusual – Italian intelligence services claim to have uncovered a plot wherein Medvedev has issued Wagner a $15m bounty for the head of Crosetto, Italy's minister of defence. https://www.ilfoglio.it/politica/20...ollari-5061298/
Medvedev was drunk on ebay wagner.ru again? That's definitely unusual and would be a massive escalation if confirmed

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Post Soviet Russia's primary cultural export is insane dash cam footage so this drone collision is consistent with that at least

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I don't get it. Russia deliberately brings down a US drone flying over international waters and then tries to steal it and the US just calls it unprofessional? Isn't it essentially an act of war? Not saying it's worth going to war over or that anyone should but I was expecting a bit more of a response.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yes, but the drone wasn't there delivering amazon packages either.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think the US is going to decide to go to war over something like this- this is why we use drones for something in this role, but I wouldn't be shocked to see some kind of retaliation in kind.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Looks like the Sukhoi didn't collide with the Reaper, judging from the intact stabilisers unless they used noclip cheats.

Senjuro posted:

I don't get it. Russia deliberately brings down a US drone flying over international waters and then tries to steal it and the US just calls it unprofessional? Isn't it essentially an act of war? Not saying it's worth going to war over or that anyone should but I was expecting a bit more of a response.

Anything is an act of war if the other side so decides. Provocation is maybe a better description, as I don't think this will result in a war.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I bet it was some dumb stunt of Su-27 pilot, probably didn't want to force landing for the drone, but just mess it up a bit.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Senjuro posted:

The US is simply not interested in escalating - they're content with current trajectory of the conflict - Russia is heading for a loss.

See how the US and Europe have downplayed other Russia attempts at escalation - ignoring nuclear rhetoric, ignoring Nord Stream incident (although circumstances around that appear more dubious), ignoring (much weaker than feared) cyberattacks, etc

Russia on the other hand knows its not doing well, and so likely is incentivized to try to change the framing/circumstances of the conflict. Its only tools for doing this are non-conventional means (ie: harrassing but not directly attacking NATO - they would lose any conventional conflict, and nobody wants nuclear war).

If the US did react to the downing, third parties will immediately see the US as overreacting, and Russian narratives will be furthered: "Look at those warmongering yankees! Nobody was hurt, it was just an unmanned drone! And what was the US doing flying so close to Russia anyway - more evidence of NATO encroachment!"

The waters get muddied, and the perception and focus of the conflict moves away from it being a clear-cut illegitimate and illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine, to a 'Russian and American Empires vying for supremacy in Europe - both as bad as eachother!'. Third parties - some genuinely fearful of conflict between nuclear powers, others who just cynically want to stick it to the West, could then start weighing in and calling for de-escalation, mediation and 'compromise' (ie: concessions to Russia).

Whether it would actually work out like this? Who knows. But they have to try something.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 16, 2023

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

Looks like the Sukhoi didn't collide with the Reaper, judging from the intact stabilisers unless they used noclip cheats.

Anything is an act of war if the other side so decides. Provocation is maybe a better description, as I don't think this will result in a war.

We don’t see the Su-27s after the collision, but you do see the bent prop at the end of the clip. I suspect there was a loss of signal when it got hit anyway, so the exact moment of impact wouldn’t be recorded, but given the Su-27 coming hard into the frame, followed by visual evidence of airframe damage after, seems hard to avoid the notion of a collision.

But this is all a game that gets played in international waters/airspace all the time. Planes with dozens of guys aboard got shot down several times in the Cold War without it turning hot; the Hainan Island incident in 2001 killed a Chinese pilot and nearly killed a bunch of US Navy guys. This isn’t terribly new territory.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
It was said upthread, this will not create an escalation. No weapons were fired, this was an "accident". It also might not have been an actual accident.

But this happens more then you'd think, if it's a deliberate takedown, this is not worrying.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Phoneposting, so no screenshot, but one of the propeller blades looks bent in the last frames?
Unless that's an optical distortion of some kind.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Especially given that the US craft was unmanned, the worst possible outcome here is that the Russian pilot injured himself. The appropriate international response is for everyone to point and laugh

Vaginaface fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 16, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how terrified everyone (except russia apparently) is of ~escalation~, of course this won't lead to anything even though they were deliberately loving with the drone.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
One year ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1636334925333798914

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Caconym posted:

Phoneposting, so no screenshot, but one of the propeller blades looks bent in the last frames?
Unless that's an optical distortion of some kind.

Yeah, I don't think you can do that with just exhaust/fuel dumping.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mrfart posted:

Their fins only do this in captivity

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Are we actually giving them that though?

https://mobile.twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1636324806608945153

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
As noted upthread, if Maverickski chopped up his plane's radar with a drone's propeller in an entirely avoidable collision, he's ruined an extremely expensive and now hard-to-replace piece of hardware and probably ended his career for the sake of a bit of macho dick-waving.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

mobby_6kl posted:

Considering how terrified everyone (except russia apparently) is of ~escalation~, of course this won't lead to anything even though they were deliberately loving with the drone.

Iran downed several US drones and US did not declare war on them. Nobody is going to declare war over UAV unless they really want to. Trump wanted to retaliate in 2019, but then withdrew the order.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 16, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

You'll have to ask the Turkish government this. None of us here actually know this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's a new documentary from French/German broadcaster Arte about Dozhd (TV Rain). I thought it was an interesting watch and it goes a bit into their perspective when Latvia revoked their license.

https://youtu.be/Qz7-Gobl65E

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mrfart posted:

Notice the intact stabilisers, it takes some skill to hit the shorter prop blades without touching those.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

Notice the intact stabilisers, it takes some skill to hit the shorter prop blades without touching those.

You can't see anything above the wings... so if the Flanker pulled up and over the drone, like the maneuver was suggesting, it could've wiped out the vertical stab there with the underside of the Flanker.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nenonen posted:

mmmm yes masterful indeed most precise

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

They had to have clipped it from the top, possibly taking out the two stabilizers there that we can't see, since the camera is at the bottom of the nose

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1636361676235878401?t=xH7lPONxZS7ylGpW0Qc6lw&s=19

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah we are gonna send like uh, 8 of those and they're probably falling apart. But hey, if they can fly and shoot down some Russian Migs, it's better for them to fall apart in Ukraine rather than in a polish hangar.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Ukraine has been provided MIGs already, just not in a whole piece.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm betting at least 12. They were taken off duty a while back, and probably refit process started back then.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There has also been renewed talk from Slovakia, but those are likely even in rougher shape...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

So 4 MIGs are in the process right now, with more being refitted.
Source in Polish: https://defence24.pl/wojna-na-ukrainie-raport-specjalny-defence24/duda-przekazujemy-cztery-migi-29-na-ukraine

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1636304917911552002

FSB building in Rostov on fire. Russia should really consider a public anti-smoking campaign.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Gervasius posted:

Apparently, THE video. What a clown show.

Yeah, this seems pretty dumb. You can see how much faster the jet is going relative to the drone, probably because it would stall trying to match speeds and they got too close. I'm guessing the video cut is the jet blocking the satcom link while flying overhead.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mrfart posted:

IMO you probably can. A large slug of fuel is incompressible and far more massive than the prop is designed to handle. It could easily bend one.

That one blade was damaged and not the others means it was a near-instantaneous touch, unlikely to be from the Russian aircraft itself. The prop was spinning fast enough it should have bent more than one blade if there were physical contact.

So the fuel dump bending the blade seems likely to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deteriorata posted:

IMO you probably can. A large slug of fuel is incompressible and far more massive than the prop is designed to handle. It could easily bend one.

That one blade was damaged and not the others means it was a near-instantaneous touch, unlikely to be from the Russian aircraft itself. The prop was spinning fast enough it should have bent more than one blade if there were physical contact.

That actually makes a lot of sense, fair points.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
How damaging is it going to be if Russia gets their hands on the drone? It sounds like the US isn't going to be able to get the wreckage back.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Not at all.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

How damaging is it going to be if Russia gets their hands on the drone? It sounds like the US isn't going to be able to get the wreckage back.

The Pentagon claims anything sensitive has already been destroyed. It's generally understood there's self-destruct mechanisms built into them.

Related, a Telegram post reports that the Russians claim to have found the drone already: https://t.me/rusbrief/100954

Google Translate posted:

A US MQ-9 Reaper drone was found near Sevastopol at a depth of about 900 meters, ForPost was told by its own source close to the Russian Ministry of Defense and familiar with the details of the operation.
The forces of the Russian Navy are on duty in the area of the fall of the American military-intelligence apparatus. “An underwater robot descended to the bottom of the sea, which discovered the MQ-9 Reaper at a depth of about 850-900 meters. Not far from this zone is the deep-water branch of the South Stream gas pipeline," the source told ForPost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Uh, I think one thing to keep in mind here is that the prop is made of metal and the surrounding airframe is made of much weaker carbon fiber composite. Jet fuel is also less dense than water and vaporizes quickly. Doesn't seem too plausible to me...