Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

pork never goes bad posted:

That said, it is so hard for me to not run white maps for completion

When you're filling out your atlas, it's entirely okay or even preferred to run min difficulty maps (and still get the bonus objective) to make sure you don't brick a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Well, sure, but my point is more that even when I have a yellow/red and a white version of the same map and I can complete the yellow/red just fine, I have a strong compulsion to not just run the white map, but to make it magic, and to clear down to fewer than 50 mobs left because "that's what you're supposed to do" or something like that. Or to finish every t1 before starting t2. Or to complete passive quests in order. Or to wait to buy a maven carry until I've tried it once by farming my own splinters even if I'm playing a build where I basically know that I can't do maven. I think a lot of players fall into this sort of trap of doing everything that's offered to you in the order you're "supposed to." But my best leagues are the ones where I let go of that notion and, like, focus on leveling fast, spend on my maps, do harder content earlier, buy a carry if I need to, or at least buy the invitation if they're in my budget and it means I can jump into altars faster.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

This conversation is helping me play more Last Epoch.

At least there I can engage in meaningful, deterministic crafting without feeling like im 50/50 to just bricking an item because I clicked something in the wrong order.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

buying an item on trade that is one 50/50 meta craft from being perfect for your build is pretty sweet

I have only done that one time in like 4 years of playing, but still

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

NPR Journalizard posted:

This conversation is helping me play more Last Epoch.

At least there I can engage in meaningful, deterministic crafting without feeling like im 50/50 to just bricking an item because I clicked something in the wrong order.

I'm going through LE for the third time now and I have the same complaint as before: too...drat...slow. I'd honestly give up some of that deterministic crafting for a Quicksilver Flask.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Well, sure, but my point is more that even when I have a yellow/red and a white version of the same map and I can complete the yellow/red just fine, I have a strong compulsion to not just run the white map, but to make it magic, and to clear down to fewer than 50 mobs left because "that's what you're supposed to do" or something like that. Or to finish every t1 before starting t2. Or to complete passive quests in order. Or to wait to buy a maven carry until I've tried it once by farming my own splinters even if I'm playing a build where I basically know that I can't do maven. I think a lot of players fall into this sort of trap of doing everything that's offered to you in the order you're "supposed to." But my best leagues are the ones where I let go of that notion and, like, focus on leveling fast, spend on my maps, do harder content earlier, buy a carry if I need to, or at least buy the invitation if they're in my budget and it means I can jump into altars faster.

Yep, that's exactly the mentality you need to have.

Maven and UE carries are two of the first things I "save" currency for and they're usually cheap enough that I don't have to save for long. Getting the last two voidstones drastically increases your map drops and more sextants = better. Same with the map device. I try to get goons to pull enough splinters together for a 4-way ASAP because the 5th slot is, again, big and it just compounds with everything else.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

whypick1 posted:

I'm going through LE for the third time now and I have the same complaint as before: too...drat...slow. I'd honestly give up some of that deterministic crafting for a Quicksilver Flask.

LE is fun but it's slow (even for me, and I"m not a zoom-zoomer), and the way the skills/trees are designed make it feel like the design space is going to be a loooooot smaller than POE when it comes to builds to try.

I'll probably keep playing it once in awhile after big updates like I did D3 and GD back in the day

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

. That said, it is so hard for me to not run white maps for completion ... start something undeniably strong

(Also stuff about maven and ue carries, etc, not quoting it)

While you (and others) are absolutely right... My god that's loving boring (to me). That's one of my biggest gripes of being balanced around trade.

I like trying new builds. I like being able to do my own boss kills. I like the progression (somewhat) of filling out my atlas.

Everything boiled down to "be efficient, make cash, make second build that can do bosses" sucks. If whatever build I copy from some content creator doesn't pan out it dies out in reds, it sours the league for me. As opposed to LE or D3 where you know you can fix your build, and do end game stuff decently.

Poe is still great, fyi. We've played too much though where the flaws show and become really annoying.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You can absolutely start a bosser. Bossing is some of the best money in the game, especially at launch.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm sad my bosser build is going to get nuked by the poison SRS popularity.

Only really got 1 good league out of it where it was relatively cheap

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Weirdest thing I made money on this league was one of the molten shell alt quality gems (I forget which one, don't know them by heart) was selling for close to 200c at level 1 but you could get uncorrupted level 20 versions for like 25c. I guess people (for Cast When Damage Taken purposes) were just setting their trade filters to search for low level versions , but I made like 10 div just buying the lvl20 versions and leveling them down and reselling them

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

goferchan posted:

Weirdest thing I made money on this league was one of the molten shell alt quality gems (I forget which one, don't know them by heart)

I'm guessing it was Anomalous ("Buff can take additional Damage equal to 0.25% of your Armour per 1% quality")

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

goferchan posted:

Weirdest thing I made money on this league was one of the molten shell alt quality gems (I forget which one, don't know them by heart) was selling for close to 200c at level 1 but you could get uncorrupted level 20 versions for like 25c. I guess people (for Cast When Damage Taken purposes) were just setting their trade filters to search for low level versions , but I made like 10 div just buying the lvl20 versions and leveling them down and reselling them

When you see someone with absurd gear on Ninja within the first month, 9 times outta 10 it’s either RMT or someone who knows enough about the game/economy to reliably find opportunities like this every league (crafting or just straight up arbitrage). I remember in Sanctum a goon Santa’ing out of the league having already made multiple mirrors within the first few weeks buying Deli orbs + harvest juice and just mass re-rolling them for the popular ones. Woulda never occurred to me to try that, mostly cause I didn’t even realize that Harvest craft was still in the game, but even if I did, I prolly would’ve just assumed the orb market prices were already adjusted to that.

Also saw this league where a streamer made a bunch of money converting one alt quality gem to a different quality with those lenses. The most valuable quality variant has the lowest weighting (didn’t even realize these had weightings lol), but you could block the weighting of the worst variant by just starting from it as your base. I think at one point, the prices were such that you always at least broke even with every lens used.

The PoE economy is so vast and with so many systems to interact with/manipulate items, it’ll never be fully “solved” in any given league. I never find this poo poo myself, but it’s cool knowing it’s out there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think it's pretty cool and it's definitely the "payoff" for all the janky poo poo involved with trade. I tried out WoW again recently and they've revamped the crafting and made it much more complicated and dependent on interacting with other players in the market, but everything is so god drat efficient and instant that you can't make any money unless you're already super rich. If PoE also had an instantaneous global auction house system it would probably feel the same way

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

goferchan posted:

I think it's pretty cool and it's definitely the "payoff" for all the janky poo poo involved with trade. I tried out WoW again recently and they've revamped the crafting and made it much more complicated and dependent on interacting with other players in the market, but everything is so god drat efficient and instant that you can't make any money unless you're already super rich. If PoE also had an instantaneous global auction house system it would probably feel the same way

In WoW you make money by gathering materials and selling those on the AH. Crafting is a money sink. Granted, there are a few types of items which are in high enough demand you can make money by crafting them, but that's rare.

...well, this was true two expansions ago. It's probably still true?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Been doing some simple POBing and testing on an old standard char (using my useless currency to roll basic gear and poo poo) and I'd love some advice for leaguestarting with a mana-stacker hierophant.

Most resources seem to recommend leveling with brands/totems, but I'm not sure what to do when I get to maps. I threw a basic tree with lovely gear into PoB and the damage is pretty sad. 2x Brands on a 4-link is like 50k dps. In comparison Manabond is over 100k, but plays clunky on its own. E: To be clear this is level 66 or so with like leveling gear pre-Kitava, not with the usual 'grab some 1-2c cheapo stuff after killing Kitava to fix up resists' gear, so hopefully numbers maybe go up slightly.

Does anyone have experience with the build in the early mapping stages before uniques come online? Is combining brands and Manabond just gonna be manageable dps? I can beeline Mjolner + Shaper's Touch and get started cooking with Cyclone+Arc, but Mjolner is prolly gonna be a little while so it'd be nice to know the best approach before that. Plus unless Indigon gets a lot more expensive than last leagues, it should not take long to get the rest of the core uniques at that point.

E: PoB I've been working with, with a lower-level leveling tree and a 'post-respec' tree: https://pastebin.com/wm1Bqji3

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 16, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

McFrugal posted:

In WoW you make money by gathering materials and selling those on the AH. Crafting is a money sink. Granted, there are a few types of items which are in high enough demand you can make money by crafting them, but that's rare.

...well, this was true two expansions ago. It's probably still true?

Dragonflight changed how the crafting works a lot so a lot of crafts are extremely desirable but also hard to get/make (and at good quality) so you can make some really good money selling various things. They even made an interface to support this, but nobody uses it for some reason.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Having game economies was a mistake

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I played a bit of last epoch. Did a glacial sorc, hammerdin, now a bowazon or whatever. Shoots a shitton of arrows with flurry/multishot. It gets a bit boring quite soon, it doesn't feel like the game has much going on.

Back to PoE..? What would be a good bow build? Tornado shot ranger, if I want to fill the screen with arrows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56isnrhvkc

At least that example video fits the bill..

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

TyrantWD posted:

There is a reason Kay quit PoE.

Minions need a complete rework. I expect we see that happen sometime this year.

I haven't been keeping up. What's going on with minions, in general, please?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Base minion life/damage got nerfed in 3.19 and it affected permanent minions (zombies, spectres, etc) much more than temp minions (SRS, spiders, etc).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In general, GGG really don't like permanent minions because they encourage a passive playstyle.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

So I played a bit of last epoch. Did a glacial sorc, hammerdin, now a bowazon or whatever. Shoots a shitton of arrows with flurry/multishot. It gets a bit boring quite soon, it doesn't feel like the game has much going on.

Back to PoE..? What would be a good bow build? Tornado shot ranger, if I want to fill the screen with arrows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56isnrhvkc

At least that example video fits the bill..

Tornado shot deadeye is a very strong build, but it is expensive as hell.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

whypick1 posted:

Base minion life/damage got nerfed in 3.19 and it affected permanent minions (zombies, spectres, etc) much more than temp minions (SRS, spiders, etc).

My dreams of minion instability...gone forever.

Here's a theoretical tech I haven't tested for a reaper build: battlemage cry w summon skeletons + feeding frenzy + infernal army

+ The mastery that makes minions regenerate 5% of life on minion death. So you'd have zoomy skeletons constantly dying and healing your reaper, and giving the feeding frenzy buff. You just have to hit poo poo. But you can exert shield charge if you want. In my dream world you've got a full six link slam or whatever too, to help with clear. Probably a guardian build?

Socket pressure though... Perhaps best for PoE 2 socket rework. Then you could put stuff like desecrate or offerings in the battlemage cry, too.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

xZAOx posted:

While you (and others) are absolutely right... My god that's loving boring (to me). That's one of my biggest gripes of being balanced around trade.

I like trying new builds. I like being able to do my own boss kills. I like the progression (somewhat) of filling out my atlas.

Everything boiled down to "be efficient, make cash, make second build that can do bosses" sucks. If whatever build I copy from some content creator doesn't pan out it dies out in reds, it sours the league for me. As opposed to LE or D3 where you know you can fix your build, and do end game stuff decently.

Poe is still great, fyi. We've played too much though where the flaws show and become really annoying.

You can do every single thing right and you'll still never get close to what empy and crew do in a single day, no reason to worry about efficiency if you don't enjoy the chase.

Play bad (starter) builds, switch to your intented skills asap, do the league mechanic in the campaign, progress the atlas without buying maps, who cares as long as you're having fun. The design space for character builds that don't need much to be playable is massive and poo poo like corrupted 6-links is 20c day 2 which still seems crazy to me.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

You can make a ton of money in white and yellow maps if your build is stalling. It's another psychological hurdle for me so I often don't do it when I should, but if I'm not progressing reds well, dropping back to yellows or whites with the right league mechanic and atlas tree does work. Stream of Consciousness pulls a lot of weight here. There's not a lot of great options for white maps, but essences really shine. And for yellow, again, you're more limited than reds but harvest is still super profitable in yellows and if you're that much faster completing them than in reds your div/hr can be much higher than if you were to struggle pushing forward into reds.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
New league name announced today. Get your guesses in now for the, "please don't leave" league. Path of Exile: Diabolic

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

graynull posted:

New league name announced today. Get your guesses in now for the, "please don't leave" league. Path of Exile: Diabolic

lmao this would be so fuckin good

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

graynull posted:

New league name announced today. Get your guesses in now for the, "please don't leave" league. Path of Exile: Diaboloch

FTFY

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's boat league for real this time

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I haven't paid any attention to D4 at all but I'm about to buy it. I guess this is what the power of branding is.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
it's not boat league, it's kitchen league

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Diabloat league

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

I haven't paid any attention to D4 at all but I'm about to buy it. I guess this is what the power of branding is.

The trailers look pretty sweet

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gonna be a weird school league to lure back all those Hogwarts players

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

totalnewbie posted:

diablo 4 had to turn down the mob density because having a fun amount of mobs spawn was making it too difficult to ride your horse around. also you have to ride your horse to each map dungeon before you can run it

I want it to do well, but uh they've got some big issues to fix. game is more of an mmo than an arpg

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I don't buy Blizzard games anymore.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

George posted:

I don't buy Blizzard games anymore.

Me neither. I'm pretty sure D4 won't change my mind about this, but it might make me sad about it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

diablo 4 had to turn down the mob density because having a fun amount of mobs spawn was making it too difficult to ride your horse around. also you have to ride your horse to each map dungeon before you can run it

I want it to do well, but uh they've got some big issues to fix. game is more of an mmo than an arpg

Sounds like Lost Ark has influenced D4 a lot which I think is pretty bad.

I'll give it a shot with the free beta next weekend but unless it hooks me bad in those 2 days, probably not getting it on launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
lost ark had some incredibly fun combat as well as some of the worst designed-for-gacha timewaster bloat i've ever seen. absolutely awful