Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/formats/oathbreaker

I wonder if this is their next format target to squeeze more money out of the players.

This is a blast from the past. Is this a recent addition to the mothership or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Magnetic North posted:

This is a blast from the past. Is this a recent addition to the mothership or something?

Made official today/yesterday

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Made official today/yesterday

Hmm. Prof predicted that they were going to change the nature of the planewalker spark to make them legendary creatures instead of a separate type. I imagine that's somewhat plausible. I wonder if this makes that more of less likely.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Magnetic North posted:

Hmm. Prof predicted that they were going to change the nature of the planewalker spark to make them legendary creatures instead of a separate type. I imagine that's somewhat plausible. I wonder if this makes that more of less likely.

I think Prof has the right idea (that WotC want to have the face characters be able to be commanders so they're marketing to a larger proportion of the playerbase) but the wrong conclusion - I think it's more likely that the result of MOM will be "non-PW can travel between (certain) planes". That is, rather than change the card type associated with the face characters, change the face characters to ones with a different card type.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I guess since Brawl was a huge flop(aside from historic brawl on arena), they're going with the next best thing?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Oathbreaker was great. I loved it! But I stopped playing it because T3feri in the command zone was complete bullshit and made for completely uninteractive games. Seeing that it's still not banned tells me they haven't really changed much.

A shame really, I really loved my Saheeli, Sublime Artificer/Divergent Transformations deck and would love to play it again.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lol, anyone remember Tiny Leaders?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A little bit.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Framboise posted:

Oathbreaker was great. I loved it! But I stopped playing it because T3feri in the command zone was complete bullshit and made for completely uninteractive games. Seeing that it's still not banned tells me they haven't really changed much.

A shame really, I really loved my Saheeli, Sublime Artificer/Divergent Transformations deck and would love to play it again.

I remember building a 2 mana Tibalt + Brightstone Ritual goblins deck and having a lot of fun.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Imma build ONE Kaya + Kayas Wrath stax and nobody can stop me

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Silhouette posted:

I guess since Brawl was a huge flop...

Was there an attempt to do brawl in paper? Brawl is all I play on Arena, but it's only because Commander and Canadian Highlander aren't on there. Canlander is a bit of a stretch, but I imagine that getting Commander into Arena would nearly instantly be the death of Brawl.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

generatrix posted:

Was there an attempt to do brawl in paper? Brawl is all I play on Arena, but it's only because Commander and Canadian Highlander aren't on there. Canlander is a bit of a stretch, but I imagine that getting Commander into Arena would nearly instantly be the death of Brawl.

They issued paper Brawl precons for Eldraine, but they never caught on and it was dropped almost immediately. Since then, Brawl had been designed and marketed as the digital alternative to Commander.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Reposting for someone just telling Sheldon to his face: https://youtube.com/shorts/V7cNXlIvUlg?feature=share

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

This is the best Oathbreaker deck.

It might look stupid, but it usually gets its first extra turn by T3 or T4, and the engine is off to the races after that. Make lots of mana, take extra turns by hard casting sig spell with more and more mana until you hit your Chain Veil combo.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Just got into commander since a friend introduced me, got the necron precon. :cheers:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lol, anyone remember Tiny Leaders?

lol yep. The format which cemented the reality that all commander spin offs will die quickly forgotten.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hizke posted:

Just got into commander since a friend introduced me, got the necron precon. :cheers:

Nice, welcome aboard. It's a fun time. Plenty of people who can give advice for budget upgrades if you're interested in that

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Nice, welcome aboard. It's a fun time. Plenty of people who can give advice for budget upgrades if you're interested in that

Thanks! I’m definitely interested. It seems pretty fun out of the box and out of the tombs is a crazy card

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Toshimo posted:

They issued paper Brawl precons for Eldraine, but they never caught on and it was dropped almost immediately. Since then, Brawl had been designed and marketed as the digital alternative to Commander.

Yeah, and the only reason that the Brawl precons even sold is because wotc juiced them with a ridiculously good face legendary (for three of them at least), a shockland in every deck and it was the first time Arcane Signet was printed, which made it a $10+ common until it got reprinted in another set like a year later, and the Alela deck also came with Smothering Tithe, which was like $20 at the time.

lol imagine wotc putting that much value into a commander precon these days

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hizke posted:

That one is really good! I mean, I haven't played it, or played against it, but since it's release I don't think I've brewed a single commander deck that didn't have at least 1 necron card in it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

lol yep. The format which cemented the reality that all commander spin offs will die quickly forgotten.

I loved Tiny Leaders. Of course, that was at a point where you actually had to work to build a deck and there weren’t nearly as many <3MV legendaries. You got to use some weirdo cards like Smother and all the X spells were super good.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Khanstant posted:

That one is really good! I mean, I haven't played it, or played against it, but since it's release I don't think I've brewed a single commander deck that didn't have at least 1 necron card in it.

I'd say it has the most focused and reliable game plan of the 40k decks

e: and the fact that it's mono colour and artifact themed means it sidesteps a lot of the usual precon mana base problems

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I loved Tiny Leaders. Of course, that was at a point where you actually had to work to build a deck and there weren’t nearly as many <3MV legendaries. You got to use some weirdo cards like Smother and all the X spells were super good.

I built a relentless rats deck with Athreos and it steamrolled every deck it went up against and none of my friends played tiny leaders after that

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tiny Leaders is a format I'd love to try, but nobody plays it :/

It's a shame, because DMU Shanna soul sisters would be legit

Edit: it would even be able to fit in the Heliod Ballista combo

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Reposting for someone just telling Sheldon to his face: https://youtube.com/shorts/V7cNXlIvUlg?feature=share

Amen, sister. GET EM

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

Amen, sister. GET EM

I like that he tries a little weasely "how about four thirty-minute games?" like that's not exactly what some people would love.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Speaking of our friend Sheldon, here's Commander State of the Format 2023:

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/commander-state-of-the-format-2023/

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/commander-state-of-the-format-2023/

I'm just waiting for my proxies to get here and I'll have the Elesh Norn deck built. Gonna be real sad if he bans her, lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

I like that he tries a little weasely "how about four thirty-minute games?" like that's not exactly what some people would love.

Lol who was ever like "drat I wish this game had 40 more minutes of some dyngus shuffling their deck and apparently reading their own cards for the first time"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Maybe the RC should put "members of the RC will not profit from their role as RC members" so as to avoid conflicts of interest into their cool document.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pseudanonymous posted:

Maybe the RC should put "members of the RC will not profit from their role as RC members" so as to avoid conflicts of interest into their cool document.

You can't do that in the same article that you push your Patreon, come on...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sheldon posted:

While we already have a Patreon, it hasn’t had the attention that it deserves.

Lol gently caress right on off

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
What costs does the RC even have

e:

quote:

These include (but aren’t limited to) paying the server moderators, the person running our stream (which will also have enhanced benefits) and Patreon, our IT support, and running the website ad-free.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Lol who was ever like "drat I wish this game had 40 more minutes of some dyngus shuffling their deck and apparently reading their own cards for the first time"

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

What costs does the RC even have

e:

Look at these jabronis with their "paid mods." :jerkbag:

On topic though, hoping my order to fill out the rest of my Colfenor deck shows up before the weekend. Is it weird having two aristocrats type decks?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got Look at the Kitties! SL today, and it came with Shadowborn Apostle as the bonus card!

I'm assuming the 500 dollar price on 8t right now is just because this SL is only just getting into hands? If it is a 500 dollar card I don't think I can justify keeping it lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lol, someone made the Top 16 of a cEDH tournament with a colorless deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErJohhOkRNI&t=452s

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Khanstant posted:

Got Look at the Kitties! SL today, and it came with Shadowborn Apostle as the bonus card!

I'm assuming the 500 dollar price on 8t right now is just because this SL is only just getting into hands? If it is a 500 dollar card I don't think I can justify keeping it lol

It will entirely depend on supply but most likely it will drop. The skeleton one I got with the Junji Ito lair was initially at 120 then is now at 60. I wanted to sell but local lgs said that the price was too volatile. So if you can get even 70% for it I would.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Infidel Castro posted:

Look at these jabronis with their "paid mods." :jerkbag:

On topic though, hoping my order to fill out the rest of my Colfenor deck shows up before the weekend. Is it weird having two aristocrats type decks?

As someone with three aristocrats decks (Marchesa, Edgar Markov, and Meren), definitely not. All those creatures aren't going to kill themselves! Go get em!

I do have 24 decks right now though. I may have a deckbuilding problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I also got the Sneak Attack and Phantom Premonition precons, never heard of either of these commanders before. Are they any good, I'm assuming they are less popular overstock filling the philly con bundle. 1 more random precon and I've got enough for a possible surprise all precons battle.

Edit: oh neat Sneak Attack if nothing else has a number of cards I was considering for my faerie fountain deck. There's also a card called stinkdrinker goblin and I love him he is my best friend now. Deck seems kinda fun as is and easy enough to fix this mana base, and swap out some of these precon fillers.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 16, 2023