Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How are they going to print their way out of this mess without lowering interest rates?

shut the gently caress up, freedom hater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmoeZHnOJKA&t=18s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Congrats to First Republic for dropping 30%

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Sitting on investing dot com waiting for this poo poo to update. So far the most recent CS price is from before the ECB announcement.

looks stable in the 5 minutes after the announcement:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yeah that speech is dovish as gently caress. Markets would rip 3% if j-pow gave a speech like that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fun little detail. They have a list of all the volume of trades (I dunno over what time period but doesn't matter, it's the same for every stock). Credit Suisse at 135.87M, the next most traded on the Swiss exchange is UBS at less than 1/10th of that, 12.14M.

Penny stock rear end bank

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lol. All of this stupid bullshit just mean that our rent is gonna sky rocket in couple of months doesn't it?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

NeonPunk posted:

Lol. All of this stupid bullshit just mean that our rent is gonna sky rocket in couple of months doesn't it?

If you're not in a house you can afford rip

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

CS and UBS are kind of rotating villains. in 2008, UBS got the biggest bailout in Swiss history with an emergency 9.3% stake at 6 Billion CHF, plus a 62 billion franc guarantee for for bad securities. now the shoe's on the other foot. if Credit Suisse actually somehow survives and completes restructuring, they may win back some reputation as having "reformed" just in time for tons of UBS crimes to come to light

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

remember the sturm und drang around TARP, priced @800 Billie?

simpler times…

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

2 trillion is a wild amount w/o any Public Discourse

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
um actually, it's up to 2 trillion so it's fine

:smug:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Junkiebev posted:

2 trillion is a wild amount w/o any Public Discourse

tack it on to the 10 trillion or w/e it was that got transferred to private hands 3 years ago with so little discussion that Bill Maher said it never happened lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

fortunately the rent you actually pay doesn't contribute to inflation, just what a bunch of suburbanites think they could rent their mcmansions on roads with no sidewalks out for

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Junkiebev posted:

remember the sturm und drang around TARP, priced @800 Billie?

simpler times…

Lol the "Paycheck" Protection Program grift was $930b

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doomsday Economics

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1636316402704433154

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

tack it on to the 10 trillion or w/e it was that got transferred to private hands 3 years ago with so little discussion that Bill Maher said it never happened lol

I mean, either way, it makes TARP sound quaint as gently caress like grandpa talking about five cent candy bars

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

nice vacation you've got planned....... it'd be a shame if something were to happen to it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Guess I'd never have paid time off if I had a job.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

I think TARP may very well be the last financial action that was subject to The Discourse

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Guess that puts an end to unlimited PTO since the whole reason for it was to skirt around PTO as comp on seperation.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Ah the the $2trillion (not qe) is theoretical. If all the bonds currently on the books as a loss are traded in then it is a $2trillion injection.
https://twitter.com/EpsilonTheory/status/1636347265752133633?t=LLoYiR9rrotvVJYjT079Hg&s=19

I honestly don't see how someone buying a $1 bond, having it drop to $.80 in value, then trading it back for $1 isn't just willing into existence $.20

Not sure I understand this objection. Why would any eligible financial institution with unrealized losses in bonds not take advantage of the program? Even if they're not in any real financial distress it's free money, and not participating is leaving money on the table.

According to the Federal Reserve eligible institutions have until at least March 2024 to apply, so it will be a while before the full amount "loaned" is known:

quote:

Program Duration: Advances can be requested under the Program until at least March 11, 2024.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

the banks are rock hard this morning. thank you for asking.

Apr 7, 2003

lol oh boy is that huge

especially since most people get sick days rolled into vacation as general PTO anymore

Apr 7, 2003

miss your productivity numbers because you're sick all the time (because we let a disease run rampant)? We're taking your sick time away, eat poo poo.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Ok, everybody take off the week of Jan 1 every single year, got it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This really fucks with people who have been banking PTO for a payout when they leave the job and/or retire, too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thank you Bush appointed judges!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i think the uber/lyft one also got struck down as well this week screwing over gig workers even more

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmfao well, i'm glad my dad got to retirement age at least :unsmith:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

i think the uber/lyft one also got struck down as well this week screwing over gig workers even more

Yes. In california

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
The 3rd Circuit panel said that while a salary is a fixed amount of compensation paid out at regular intervals, paid time off is a fringe benefit that has no effect on a worker's wages and can be paid irregularly, such as when an employee leaves a company.

New Jersey-based Bayada operates in 23 states and has about 28,000 employees. The company's lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Nor did lawyers for the plaintiffs.

A group of Bayada employees, including nurses, physical therapists and social workers, sued the company in Scranton, Pennsylvania federal court in 2016.

They said that because Bayada deducted PTO when employees did not reach a weekly productivity quota, they were paid based on how much they worked and were not salaried employees exempt from overtime pay under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.

Love our totally legitimate courts

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

thank god i have unlimited time off aka no pto. can't take away from me what i dont have!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lmfao well, i'm glad my dad got to retirement age at least :unsmith:

Is he 70 yet? Because I can see them trying to grow the labor pool by changing the age requirement to 70 and kicking off everyone under 70

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Does this supersede states that have laws requiring employers pay out PTO? I know in places like CA it's literally the law they have to pay out accrued PTO (hence why SV startups all gravitated so quickly towards "unlimited" PTO)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

The 3rd Circuit panel said that while a salary is a fixed amount of compensation paid out at regular intervals, paid time off is a fringe benefit that has no effect on a worker's wages and can be paid irregularly, such as when an employee leaves a company.

New Jersey-based Bayada operates in 23 states and has about 28,000 employees. The company's lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Nor did lawyers for the plaintiffs.

A group of Bayada employees, including nurses, physical therapists and social workers, sued the company in Scranton, Pennsylvania federal court in 2016.

They said that because Bayada deducted PTO when employees did not reach a weekly productivity quota, they were paid based on how much they worked and were not salaried employees exempt from overtime pay under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.

Love our totally legitimate courts

sweet satan lol

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

CS and UBS are kind of rotating villains. in 2008, UBS got the biggest bailout in Swiss history with an emergency 9.3% stake at 6 Billion CHF, plus a 62 billion franc guarantee for for bad securities. now the shoe's on the other foot. if Credit Suisse actually somehow survives and completes restructuring, they may win back some reputation as having "reformed" just in time for tons of UBS crimes to come to light

Just shotgun marry Credit Suisse and UBS - bing bong, so simple!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Blood is paused everywhere but First Republic, which is eating more and more poo poo.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

our dumbass nation is a bit weird but im guessing a federal law supersedes state law

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Beached Whale posted:

Does this supersede states that have laws requiring employers pay out PTO? I know in places like CA it's literally the law they have to pay out accrued PTO (hence why SV startups all gravitated so quickly towards "unlimited" PTO)

You know it will. States rights begins and ends at exploiting and oppressing the populace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

coelomate posted:

Blood is paused everywhere but First Republic, which is eating more and more poo poo.

Huh. From what I'm looking at, various tech stocks seem to be inching back up, but all three of the major US indexes are down.