Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for refusing to hang out with my friend until he visits a dentist?

there's something wrong with all the women around here

Why are you volunteering to spend time around this rear end in a top hat? You suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Serephina posted:

But if you wash yourself after the sauna, how much sweat exactly do they think is still in the swimsuit?! I think Germany even goes a step further and says no swimsuits in the pool at all, nude bathing only?

(In Europe this is all very normal.)

More than if you didn't have one, I guess. You do use soap and actually wash your workout clothes right or do you just wear them into the shower with you?

And Berlin just this week passed a law saying that it's no longer mandatory for women to wear a bathing top if they don't want to. There are privately operated nude swimming areas but all of the state funded ones require "appropriate bathing wear". There's no enforced nudity, come on.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

greazeball posted:

Update from Europe:

The reason saunas are nude (and you sit on a towel, not on the wood--you can also wrap yourself in a towel if you're not comfortable) is because there's also a pool complex attached and they don't want a bunch of sweaty swimsuits in the pool. You shower after the saunas and then put your swimsuit on. The pools are great with a bunch of water jets and bubbles and cascades, it's a really relaxing way to spend a day.

Wouldn't the combination of steam and hot water destroy a swimsuit anyway? Or are modern ones a bit less prone to turning into saggy unelasticated bags?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Saunas rule, just you and the boys, junk fuckin spillin where it may

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AITA for asking my girlfriend to not wear indian clothes to work.

quote:

I (27M) am American and my girlfriend (28F) is British and ethnically half Indian. She is not religious and culturally very British, speaks with a British accent etc.

We live in the US and recently started living together. She works at a tech company. I noticed about half the days when she goes to work, she dresses in Indian clothes, even her heels are shiny gold or silver. The look is stuff like this. She looks really cute and I think it is fine for a party or festival, but it looks really out of place for the American workplace.

I have Indian friends in American and the women dress western here except for festivals.

I told her to tone it down a bit as it looks out of place in America and she might face discrimination and some of the heels look too unprofessional for the work place.

I work at a bank and everyone is dressed really formal.

She got upset and told me she will wear whatever she pleases and is acting cold towards me. I did not push it as ultimately it is her choice and she can face the consequences.

Was I the AH here? She does not even like India and criticizes the place all the time and the politics there and she identifies as British.

EDIT: Seems like most people think I am TA. I guess I owe her an apology and need to learn a bit more on the issue. I did not have bad intentions, I just want people to think well of her and I have seen her get mocked and catcalled outside.

Not suitable to be worn to work in a tech company:

ed oops now shrinkified a bit

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 16, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for asking my girlfriend to not wear indian clothes to work.

quote:
I (27M) am American and my girlfriend (28F) is British and ethnically half Indian.

Stopped reading, yta

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greazeball posted:

More than if you didn't have one, I guess. You do use soap and actually wash your workout clothes right or do you just wear them into the shower with you?

And Berlin just this week passed a law saying that it's no longer mandatory for women to wear a bathing top if they don't want to. There are privately operated nude swimming areas but all of the state funded ones require "appropriate bathing wear". There's no enforced nudity, come on.

gently caress yeah SHOW US YOUR TITTIES GERMANY WOOOOO!!! :woop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA I created a tech support Help Desk for my family and now they're mad at me.

For the past ten years or so, I've just said "I don't know how to solve problems with computers because I'm not a loving idiot so I've literally never had a problem with computers" to everyone asking for help. It works after a while. (I know how to solve some problems that I've had but they're not problems any of my relatives will ever encounter. Like "how do I get this ATI EGA Wonder to work with my Commodore 1084".)

e: I started with "I know gently caress-all about tablet computers because they're poo poo so I've never used or even touched one" and that seemed to work so I expanded a bit.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

For the past ten years or so, I've just said "I don't know how to solve problems with computers because I'm not a loving idiot so I've literally never had a problem with computers" to everyone asking for help. It works after a while. (I know how to solve some problems that I've had but they're not problems any of my relatives will ever encounter. Like "how do I get this ATI EGA Wonder to work with my Commodore 1084".)

e: I started with "I know gently caress-all about tablet computers because they're poo poo so I've never used or even touched one" and that seemed to work so I expanded a bit.

I got my mom on iPhone and iPad precisely so when she has a problem I can say "I dunno, I don't use Apple stuff"

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think you're really showing your age if you think kids (especially kids that won't start school for 5 years) would know/care about Bart Simpson. My kids barely know who he is and they are 14-16.

Why would you admit to being such a terrible parent?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Baby name drama!

AITA for telling my husband's brother he's a lying rear end in a top hat

quote:

My husband's older brother Tom is married to Valerie. Valerie has an 8 year old daughter who Tom adopted last year. Valerie and Tom are expecting another baby together. Their daughter had suggestions for names for her baby brother or sister. Namely names that were nature themed (Wren, Dove, Lark, River, Hawthorn, Forrest, Cove, Ocean). My name is actually among one she suggested. My own brother has a bird name along with me lol. Tom proceeded to tell his daughter that those were not real names and that I had always disliked/hated my name and they didn't want their little baby to be the same. He said this in front of me and my husband. My husband thought he was crazy and told him I had never said that. Tom glared at my husband. Then his daughter asked me if I hated my name and I said I didn't. Valerie said it didn't really matter what I thought, but they didn't want their kid to have a weird name and she told their daughter they wanted baby to have a lovely name like she has. Their daughter said she liked my name better and didn't think her name was nice. My husband and Tom's parents were like, let's not insult other people's names when Tom and Valerie started to protest and reminded them that they were in the presence of someone with one of the so called "ridiculous names".

Fast forward on a couple of hours and Tom came over and told me I needed to tell his daughter that names like mine do not work on people and that I want her to stop wanting a sibling called that and start embracing her name and the name they will give her future sibling. He told me just because I wanted to live like a freak with a weird rear end name didn't mean he wanted that for his kids.

I told him he was a lying rear end in a top hat for putting words in my mouth and expecting me to do the same. I told him nobody said he needed to like my name, but to insult it, to insult me and then ask me to lie with him was unbelievable. I told him I didn't need to lie for him and wouldn't and to get out of my loving face.

My husband and I left almost immediately after, apologizing for leaving abruptly to my ILs and to our niece. Tom called my husband after and said his daughter could have heard and I was an rear end in a top hat for saying what I did to him when she was in the house. My husband disagreed but I do wonder if I went too far.

AITA?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA I created a tech support Help Desk for my family and now they're mad at me.

This is from 2 pages back but one of the only times I've ever exploded at my dad was during a call where he said he wanted me to drive to his house to call Netflix for him after he hosed up his password for the third time (and couldn't remember a goddamn thing about how he set up the account so I couldn't just do it over the phone like I had the first time.)

I work nights and live a two hour drive away from him in the opposite direction of work. He just casually asked me to make a 5 hour round trip after a full day of work to set up Netflix on his new TV because at some point he became toddler brained with technology.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything naming a kid Bart is just asking for trouble when they start getting ideas.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just name him Fart and be done with it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously the answer is to name him Bort

mutantIke posted:

Why would you admit to being such a terrible parent?

Because the Simpsons hasn’t been good since well before they were born?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Euros sound loving disgusting.

Its one shower->nude onsen->sauna->shower in countries where the light of Amaterasu still shines

Does your love interest always offer to wash your back before you get in the onsen or does that only happen every now and then?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just name him PRICKS IN YOUR STUPID FACE and be done with it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can tell how many people read the story and just hit reply without going any further because surely they're the first person to realize Bart rhymes with Fart.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

If your major concern about naming a child is what it rhymes with, just name your kid Orange and be done with it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

Baby name drama!

AITA for telling my husband's brother he's a lying rear end in a top hat

Tom sounds like a cool and chill dude excellent for hanging out with

Ed:

The Diddler posted:

If your major concern about naming a child is what it rhymes with, just name your kid Orange and be done with it.

That name has been getting more and more popular with the sickos in punchsport pagoda

https://youtu.be/1RTbatMFbQQ

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 16, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my sister she's the reason our parents are divorcing.

quote:

About a month ago, my (24, M) parents (55 F, 57 M) announced they were getting divorced. This has been quite a shock to most people as they seemed to be having to issues out of the ordinary. However, I have been the one privy to the information of why they are divorcing.

It's because of my sister "Anne" (26 F). Anne is a deadbeat. She has never worked more than 14 hours a week since getting expelled from college for multiple acts of cheating and code of conduct violations 5 years ago. All she does is sit at home most days watching TV or going over to her loser boyfriend's house to get high. She feels no need to support herself and expects my parents to carry her through life. She's been in therapy since she was 14 but cannot keep one for more than a year because she gets dropped as a client due to her lying and inability to show up to appointments. My parents have spent over a decade trying to get some mental issue pinned down for Anne and all they've gotten is she's just a lazy narcissist.

Last year my Mom decided enough was enough and planned to kick Anne to the curb and wash her hands of her. Dad disagreed, and in the end, the two's marriage got torn apart. I know because both have come to me basically admitting that if Anne was not a factor divorce would not even be a consideration.

I don't get along with Anne for a variety of reasons. She has always been a bully and owes me a large sum of money at the moment. The thing that boils my blood though is that she's oblivious to the situation between our parents, or just doesn't care. She had a literal tantrum when the possibility of the house being sold came up because she didn't want to have to move to an apartment with my dad.

Last night I found myself at my parent's house and had the misfortune of talking to Anne. Anne mentioned that she's getting really sick of my mom's "melodramatic poo poo" and not just leaving the house to her and my dad. Something struck me at that moment and I just asked Anne if she really does not care that she's such a selfish, garbage, waste of space human that she's driven her parents to get a divorce. I elaborated, and told her the full truth that she is in fact the only reason they are getting a divorce because mom's finally realized that there is no hope Anne will ever grow up.

The shitstorm this caused was massive. Anne acted as if I sold her out to the Romans and my parents argued between "she deserves to know" and "we told you that in confidence." Because Anne cannot keep her mouth shut either, the entire extended family has begun to hear too. I want to know before opinions start forming outside the inner circle if I am the rear end in a top hat here.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my sister she's the reason our parents are divorcing.

One of the easiest NTAs ever imo

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

haveblue posted:

Because the Simpsons hasn’t been good since well before they were born?

The advent of streaming has made old TV easier to access than ever. Nobody to blame but yourself here

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yes, I'm sure the kids will absolutely love all the 90s reference that Dad bursts out laughing over. They definitely won't think it's old and cringe.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Diddler posted:

Pfft, look at that kid, what a.....doorhinge

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

greazeball posted:

Update from Europe:

The reason saunas are nude (and you sit on a towel, not on the wood--you can also wrap yourself in a towel if you're not comfortable) is because there's also a pool complex attached and they don't want a bunch of sweaty swimsuits in the pool. You shower after the saunas and then put your swimsuit on. The pools are great with a bunch of water jets and bubbles and cascades, it's a really relaxing way to spend a day.

Saunas are nude only! :mad:
And I can't afford a Pool complex for my sauna inside my apartment. Time to start a gofundme.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Jabor posted:

Yes, I'm sure the kids will absolutely love all the 90s reference that Dad bursts out laughing over. They definitely won't think it's old and cringe.

Hey, I liked it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Kitfox88 posted:

Why are you volunteering to spend time around this rear end in a top hat? You suck.

OP posted:

When he first moved here from NY I was his only friend for like a year so I feel bad. I genuinely care about him / his dog but it’s so hard to be sitting next to him. And yeah he doesn’t realize that we just keep salaries / balances to ourselves because who needs to share those? It’s just wild to me that he doesn’t correct such an easy issue. Yet complains constantly when he has yet to get a 2nd date off any app he’s on. Gee I wonder why 😖

quote:

Pity is an awful reason to be friends with someone.

OP posted:

True. I just hate giving up on someone but he’s doing it to himself. Hopefully one day he comes to his senses until then I’ll probably distance myself completely.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Another successful spine implant let's hope it takes long-term

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I wanna be clear that Bean Dad was on another podcast where he recapped and reviewed war movies as one of three hosts and when his past tweets were revealed the other two hosts weren't comfortable continuing to co-host with him and the podcast ended, which I know because I listen to their Star Trek podcast(s).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A fairly standard (if rage-inducing) story of misogyny and a stolen inheritance, but one line near the end had me howling/

AITA for suing my parents for my college money.

quote:

My great-aunt set up savings accounts for all of her female relatives. In our culture education for women is not really valued and she thought that was bullshit.

She lived with her father in London where she was educated. She went on to attend university and became a doctor She married a British man, they moved to America and had a great life. She funded the education of as many of her neices and grand neices as she could.

When she passed away she left money for every girl relative she could.

My parents managed to access the accounts that were set up for my sister and I. They used it to pay for my brother's wedding. My sister didn't care because she got married two years out of high school and had no intention of going to college.

When I graduated I went to the bank to get money for school and it was almost all gone. There was like $13,000 left.

I asked my parents about it and they said they had needed the money. I finally found out where the money went. I got furious. I got student loans and moved out. I am a great source of shame to them and I don't give two fucks. [atta girl - ed.]

I am currently suing them for the money that was left for me. My entire family is against me. They all think I am a complete rear end in a top hat for airing private family business in public. And that I am putting money ahead of family. My friends are all on my side but they are all Americans and don't really get my culture. Neither do I to be honest.

My brother called me up and offered to pay for my university if I drop the lawsuit. I agreed as long as we had a legally binding contract. He said I was being an rear end in a top hat for not trusting him. I said he should not have accepted my money for his wedding. It is causing all kinds of embarrassment in our community.

I am somewhat ashamed to be doing this but I don't want to have this debt I should not have.
Even as a teenager, li'l Petra here has a very clear understanding of how much trust she can put in her family's promises.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

"How dare you not trust us to give us the money we're offering in exchange for dropping a legal lawsuit to get the money you were legally owed by your great aunt that we spent on other stuff anyway, whatever happened to trusting family?!" loving hell I wish this wasn't as common as it is.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
GIVE ME YOUR APARTMENT

AITA for not sharing my inheritance?

quote:

I (25F) recently lost my mother to cancer. Me and my brother (35M) are her only children. For the past 7 years, I’ve been staying in an apartment my mother bought. She always told me that when she died, she wanted me to have it because she worked so hard to ensure I always had somewhere to live. So when she died, she left me the apartment in the will. My brother has no issue with this, he makes more than enough of his own money and actually owns an apartment in the same building.

However, my aunts (A and B) have an issue with this. A has had money issues for as long as I’ve known her and my mother was always helping her out with money when she was alive. B is financially stable, but in no position to help A. They both think that since I make enough money to be able to rent a place, I should let A stay in the apartment and rent my own because that’s what my mother would have wanted.

I said no, stating that my mother wanted me to have a place of my own. I am currently saving all the money I would have used on rent and intend to buy my own house when I have enough saved.

When I said no, they then suggested that I should share some of the money my mother left me with them. She had two life insurance policies, both of which went only to my brother and I. She also left us the house and her car. Basically, everything was split between my brother and I and no one else got anything. My aunts feel that this was wrong and that they, especially A, deserve some of the money.

My brother blocked them all on platforms when they asked this of him and suggests I do the same, but I feel guilty about cutting off my family.

But I also feel strongly that if my mother wanted them to get money, she would have left them something. But she didn’t. She chose to leave EVERYTHING to my brother and I. My aunts are saying that my mother did that because she assumed we would share. But I knew my mother. She would have told me if she wanted me to do that. All she said was that she wanted to die knowing that me and my brother would be able to support ourselves.

So, AITA for not giving money to A or allowing A to stay in my apartment?
I know your mother very explicitly left 100% percent of her estate to you and your brother and 0% to us, but what she clearly meant was for you to give us a big chunk of it, that's why she gave us 0%. Isn't it obvious?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > r/relationships: I am a great source of shame and I don't give two fucks

I didn't know if keeping "to them" would make it too long.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jabor posted:

The Simpsons was referencing poo poo from decades before the show aired. Didn't seem to bother 90s kids.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

I know your mother very explicitly left 100% percent of her estate to you and your brother and 0% to us, but what she clearly meant was for you to give us a big chunk of it, that's why she gave us 0%. Isn't it obvious?

It comes up in this thread a lot, but this is why your will should give people you hate a pittance, just so they can't argue that you might have been thinking something else. You thought about them and decided to write down that they get (almost) nothing

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cacator posted:

The Simpsons was referencing poo poo from decades before the show aired. Didn't seem to bother 90s kids.

Sorry Mr Groening

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

haveblue posted:

It comes up in this thread a lot, but this is why your will should give people you hate a pittance, just so they can't argue that you might have been thinking something else. You thought about them and decided to write down that they get (almost) nothing

i'm no estate lawyer but i'm p sure that applies to your kids, not your siblings. basically, the people who would get your stuff if there was no will

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They don't have a legal case but it would shut them the gently caress up/remove any legal threats to someone who doesn't know how it works atleast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

That is really for direct heirs, rest of the family isn't in line for inheritance unless mentioned.