Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I hope the next alien movie is cool like prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Like mentioned above, Scorn seems closer to how I'd imagine some HR Giger Space Jockey society rather than gothy bald dudes from Dark City.
Prometheus Engineers being a bio-engineered race designed to be parasitized by whatever the gently caress Space Jockeys were would have been a pretty fun way to go.

Just an absolute nightmare world where everything is actively hostile to "humanity". With Engeys being a survivor-race after the Spacers goo'd themselves to extinction.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

Prometheus Engineers being a bio-engineered race designed to be parasitized by whatever the gently caress Space Jockeys were would have been a pretty fun way to go.

Just an absolute nightmare world where everything is actively hostile to "humanity". With Engeys being a survivor-race after the Spacers goo'd themselves to extinction.

Oh how about this, the Space Jockey being parasitized by the ship, which is itself an evil space organism unrelated to the Xenomorphs. Like, a movie where some randos find a living version of the ship from Alien and eventually one of them gets captured by the ship and turned into a human-sized Space Jockey, and there's no Xenomorphs in the movie at all. The universe is just body horror parasites all the way down.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gripweed posted:

Oh how about this, the Space Jockey being parasitized by the ship, which is itself an evil space organism unrelated to the Xenomorphs. Like, a movie where some randos find a living version of the ship from Alien and eventually one of them gets captured by the ship and turned into a human-sized Space Jockey, and there's no Xenomorphs in the movie at all. The universe is just body horror parasites all the way down.

Reminds me of the fan theory of the Crystal Lake being an evil malevolent force which is why when Jason is slathered in toxic waste in Jason Takes Manhattan instead of it dissolving him he melts him down to the point where he's just drowned kid Jason (and then of course in the immediate next film Jason is just sort of around again but then killed but not because Jason is actually a small demon parasite that travels from body to body like in The Hidden).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I preferred Weyland as some faceless soulless corporation and giving them a cheesy villainous CEO who wants to play God makes The Company itself less interesting/scary.

The irony is that AvP handled Weyland/the Company better - Charles Bishop Weyland is an actual sympathetic character who has a totally different definition of “immortality”, and dies a noble death. The state of his company centuries later is framed as a (inevitable?) tragedy, rather than business as usual continuing from an ingrained awful culture started by the company’s founder.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The irony is that AvP handled Weyland/the Company better - Charles Bishop Weyland is an actual sympathetic character who has a totally different definition of “immortality”, and dies a noble death. The state of his company centuries later is framed as a (inevitable?) tragedy, rather than business as usual continuing from an ingrained awful culture started by the company’s founder.

That does make me curious what direction we'll see the upcoming (is it still happening?) tv series go in. Like if they'll have which ever Weyland it is be sympathetic or if they'll stay with the more realistic take on a billionaire from Prometheus.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Failson posted:

What if you could have one unproduced Alien project appear, fully finished, as the creator(s) intended?

What do you choose?

Xenomrph posted:

Operation Aliens is tempting, but I’d have to go with either Obsidian’s “Alien: Crucible” RPG videogame that got canned in favor of Aliens: Colonial Marines, or Neil Blomkamp’s Alien5.

I'm intrigued with the Alien3 era and I'd be torn between the wooden planet script or Blomkamp's movie. Alien 3 extended is a fantastic film and Blomkamp's desire to retcon it is my only issue with the project but I'd love to see what he'd have given us. I've mentioned this before but if anyone could have pulled off the teased Earth invasion, it's him. He would absolutely nail an adaptation of Labyrinth as well.

Xenomrph posted:

Is a Jimspiracy like the Jimquisition?

Also, in actuality, having a different opinion than yours isn’t just completely valid, it is actively cool and good.

Friendly reminder that the Jimspiracy was SMG's strawman concoction and I'm amazed that he is still pushing it. How someone can argue against themselves for so long is bizarre but it's best to tune that word salad out.

Ferrinus posted:

If Giger "explicitly" designed the Jockey to be "non-humanoid", he shouldn't have given it the entire upper body of a human being, the posture of a human being, the cause-of-death of a human being, the equipment of a human being...

Giger pioneered the biomechanical style, you should definitely check out his work as it will grant a better understanding. Same goes to anyone else who is confused by the design of the space jockey in Alien. Wait until you see the art that inspired the design of the alien itself :eyepop:

Neo Rasa posted:

That does make me curious what direction we'll see the upcoming (is it still happening?) tv series go in. Like if they'll have which ever Weyland it is be sympathetic or if they'll stay with the more realistic take on a billionaire from Prometheus.

I really hope that it doesn't have Weyland at all. Have the company name sure, but we don't need a third Weyland imo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SUNKOS posted:

Friendly reminder that the Jimspiracy was SMG's strawman concoction and I'm amazed that he is still pushing it. How someone can argue against themselves for so long is bizarre but it's best to tune that word salad out.
Also remember that the alternative to the Jimspiracy is the Dwightspiracy.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

SUNKOS posted:

Giger pioneered the biomechanical style, you should definitely check out his work as it will grant a better understanding. Same goes to anyone else who is confused by the design of the space jockey in Alien. Wait until you see the art that inspired the design of the alien itself :eyepop:

I just assume Dan O'Bannon listened to a lot of Emerson Lake & Palmer while he was writing the original screenplay.

e: either that or he read a lot of OMNI magazine, Giger's art showed up all over that publication. It's why I was intrigued by ALIEN well before the movie premiered, as but a wee youth who absolutely should not have seen it as young as I did (or been reading OMNI, jesus, no wonder I'm so messed up now).

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 16, 2023

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Payndz posted:

Also remember that the alternative to the Jimspiracy is the Dwightspiracy.

Now I'm associating Dwight with sex cults and all the other nonsense SMG shitted the thread up with :barf:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I was intrigued by ALIEN well before the movie premiered, as but a wee youth who absolutely should not have seen it as young as I did (or been reading OMNI, jesus, no wonder I'm so messed up now).

I think we all saw these movies when we were too young but for me personally the childhood movie that was most hosed up (and I can't believe it was made for kids) was Watership Down. gently caress that movie.

Check out the documentary about Jodorowsky's Dune if you get the chance, a lot of the creative forces behind that came together for Alien and a strong argument could be made that were it not for Jodorowsky we may have never actually got Alien in the first place. It's a fascinating watch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jodorowsky's Dune is an absolute must watch hell yes. It really was impressive to me how much a lot of the designs and concepts from it like diaspora'd out and defined what sci-fi stuff looks like in movies for some time. Even in Flash Gordon, stuff like Ming's golden palace and the guards you see around during the football scene are Sardaukar outfits and IIRC a lot of the other people you see in Ming's court have outfits from the concept art from his take on Dune too.

SUNKOS posted:

I really hope that it doesn't have Weyland at all. Have the company name sure, but we don't need a third Weyland imo.

lol Imagine they make it like a tokusatsu show where each season is a different Weyland and also there's a different toyetic theme to all the stuff he does.

I am for real intrigued by whatever they're going to do with this series.

SUNKOS posted:

I'm intrigued with the Alien3 era and I'd be torn between the wooden planet script or Blomkamp's movie. Alien 3 extended is a fantastic film and Blomkamp's desire to retcon it is my only issue with the project but I'd love to see what he'd have given us. I've mentioned this before but if anyone could have pulled off the teased Earth invasion, it's him. He would absolutely nail an adaptation of Labyrinth as well.

I appreciate very much that the Alien RPG book is set just a few years after Alien 3 happens and also that they just made the wooden monk planet a separate world in the galaxy from Fiorina 161 so you get the best of both worlds.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 16, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The RPG is loaded with so many franchise deep cuts that it’s positively mind-boggling. The wooden planet shows up, the Innominata space station from Labyrinth shows up, the planet that Church and his family got abducted on in his flashback in Labyrinth shows up, Anchorpoint Station from the William Gibson Alien3 draft shows up, the entire star chart from the Leading Edge RPG shows up (with correct placement!), even planets from the loving 90s Kenner toys mini-comics show up, it’s loving insane.

Other vehicles, creatures, and weapons from the Kenner toys got adopted as well; the giant scorpions that Scorpion Alien toy is supposed to be born from, the Stinger vehicle, the EVAC fighter, it’s crazy. I know the author was even going to adapt the ATAX armor but I don’t know if he’s done it yet.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Now when people say the Wooden Planet, does that mean a forest planet where everyone has log cabins, or did someone make a death star type deal out of wood?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bloodcider posted:

Now when people say the Wooden Planet, does that mean a forest planet where everyone has log cabins, or did someone make a death star type deal out of wood?

The latter.

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_III_(Vincent_Ward)

http://vincentwardfilms.com/project/concepts/alien-3/unrequited-visio/

https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/wooden-world-vincent-wards-alien-iii/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I preferred Weyland as some faceless soulless corporation and giving them a cheesy villainous CEO who wants to play God makes The Company itself less interesting/scary.

Fair enough, but it's worth noting how that's not something Prometheus originated, but something it brought in from Blade Runner.

(Itself effectively a sequel to Alien in all but name.)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 16, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The RPG is loaded with so many franchise deep cuts that it’s positively mind-boggling. The wooden planet shows up, the Innominata space station from Labyrinth shows up, the planet that Church and his family got abducted on in his flashback in Labyrinth shows up, Anchorpoint Station from the William Gibson Alien3 draft shows up, the entire star chart from the Leading Edge RPG shows up (with correct placement!), even planets from the loving 90s Kenner toys mini-comics show up, it’s loving insane.

Other vehicles, creatures, and weapons from the Kenner toys got adopted as well; the giant scorpions that Scorpion Alien toy is supposed to be born from, the Stinger vehicle, the EVAC fighter, it’s crazy. I know the author was even going to adapt the ATAX armor but I don’t know if he’s done it yet.

I legit love it, I tell everyone I know who even remotely likes Alien stuff to get it even if they have no interest in playing the tabletop game. Probably one of my favorite tabletop books ever made.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Oh poo poo I just remembered I need to order that.

Probably one for Xeno here, but I remember some Aliens book/comic/graphic novel which had some kind of synthetic android alien that smoked a cigar? I can't remember the name, I just remember the cover looking absolutely hilarious (cigar smoking xeno wielding some huge gun in a stereotypical 80s action star pose) and seeing a scan of one page of it smoking a cigar and calling some guy a son of a bitch or something similar. I'm guessing it was something built to infiltrate hives but the imagery has always stuck with me as just being so comical in the best way and I was wondering if they included whatever that was in the RPG too?

Would probably make for some fun GM/DM (?) moments of a tense xeno encounter climaxing with it opening its mouth and saying "Howdy!" or some poo poo :haw:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I don't know what your 'opponents' here are arguing against?

That it is awesome and interesting that Prometheus tells us the Space Jockey is a human, and they invented humans in their own image? I guess I shouldn't feed the trolls, but does anyone think it was actually cool that the Space Jockey was just a guy?

It may be helpful to recap that part of the discussion, then.

At any moment, in some new piece of franchise media, it could be 'revealed' that Jokey The Elephant is an Engineer Queen. (Something must have laid the eggs the Engineers come from!) It could also be 'revealed' that David upgraded himself to be 20 feet tall, or that Jokey is literally magic & made of pixie dust. Or both. It was all a dream and he never existed, whatever. There are literally infinite possible explanations for the basic image that we see in Alien. So, what's the point? Why count the angels on the head of a pin?

As always, this goes back to reading. We're talking not only film literacy, but exegesis, ideological critique, etc. Interpretations are not all equally valid; what you see in the image is a reflection of your beliefs, your politics, etc. Politics can be bad, and beliefs can be wrong. (We've already seen some pretty wild fantasies about how scientists work and corporations are operated.)

Right off the bat, the immediate fascination with Jokey is that he's:

A) 'foreign',
B) a godlike entity, and
C) fuckin' dead. Not only dead, but mummified.

This imagery is extremely loaded with connotations. Like, for example, it's very possible (I'd say downright likely) that Giger's original design was inspired by the popular pseudoscience of Von Daniken's Chariots Of The Gods? - specifically the (in)famous bit where a carving on the sarcophagus of Mayan king Pakal The Great is claimed to be a depiction of a spaceship's cockpit. That poo poo was everywhere in the 1970s. Here's some detail, rotated 40 degrees:

The carving actually depicts Pakal sitting atop a sun-creature, and descending into the underworld beneath a world-tree that represents the cosmos. (Despite Von Daniken's use of terminology like "ancient astronauts", the sarcophagus is actually from the late 600's - nearly 200 years after what we classify as ancient.)

And what we have in Alien is the reverse: Jokey literally is an ancient astronaut, sitting in the cockpit of a spaceship. But all those connotations are still there: the spaceship resembles a temple, and Jokey a pagan idol - immobile even before being petrified. Mummification evokes kings and pharoahs. Jokey appears important, and his unusual physical features imply 'supernatural' abilities, in the same way that the goddess Kali may have ten arms in a given depiction. There's also just the basic irony that the spaceship cockpit has become a tomb, with Jokey laid to rest between the sky and the pit of snakes. There's also just the psychological impact of that mummy - appearing, uncannily, not quite dead (and, in this case, forever speaking a message of warning). The characters immediately identify Jokey as a "life-form" despite him being very dead.

This is the kind of stuff that produces the feeling of "cool" you're talking about.

Anyway, cutting to the chase: Von Daniken's stuff is infamously racist. It was inspired by Lovecraft, who was infamously racist. The image of Jokey likewise touches on race, class, religious belief....

It is, unfortunately, hyper-political.

So, when we get to Prometheus, and the whole thing is a satire of ancient aliens beliefs. A big point of it is that - if 'ancient aliens' poo poo were one day, somehow, proven factual - then these aren't gods but technologically advanced assholes. And, on the flipside, technologically advanced assholes aren't gods. The imagery of Weyland doing TED talks and building martian colonies certainly predicts Musk. And so we go from there.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SUNKOS posted:

Oh poo poo I just remembered I need to order that.

Probably one for Xeno here, but I remember some Aliens book/comic/graphic novel which had some kind of synthetic android alien that smoked a cigar? I can't remember the name, I just remember the cover looking absolutely hilarious (cigar smoking xeno wielding some huge gun in a stereotypical 80s action star pose) and seeing a scan of one page of it smoking a cigar and calling some guy a son of a bitch or something similar. I'm guessing it was something built to infiltrate hives but the imagery has always stuck with me as just being so comical in the best way and I was wondering if they included whatever that was in the RPG too?

Would probably make for some fun GM/DM (?) moments of a tense xeno encounter climaxing with it opening its mouth and saying "Howdy!" or some poo poo :haw:

You’re thinking of Jeri the synthetic Alien from ‘Aliens: Stronghold’, who had an in-programmed gimmick that he could produce and smoke cigars because his (android-abusing) owner thought it would be funny.

The Alien android concept shows up in two other places prior to that, and they’re all ostensibly meant to infiltrate Alien hives for research purposes.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thank you very much, gonna check that out. Hopefully those are part of the Alien RPG too :D

Edit: The art for this on a quick Google search is hilarious. One of the first images is a panel of a berserker unit (I think?) and Jeri unleashing hell in a hive together. Gonna need to check if this is available in one of the Omnibus collections. Edit - poo poo, apparently they're all out of print and overpriced by resellers now.

Edit 2: \/\/\/ Thanks for sharing that, it's beautiful and gives me some Nihei vibes. Would have been a visually stunning movie and likely a cult classic had it been made, especially if they'd managed to pull off the hallucinations well which I think Alien 3 did great with the basement scene, but seeing it go further would have been fascinating in such an environment.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 16, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I learned way too late that my favorite architect, Lebbeus Woods, did concepts for the wooden planet:

https://lebbeuswoods.wordpress.com/2009/02/03/alien-past/

Also I really need to get that RPG book, it sounds like a good read.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Failson posted:

I learned way too late that my favorite architect, Lebbeus Woods, did concepts for the wooden planet:

https://lebbeuswoods.wordpress.com/2009/02/03/alien-past/

Also I really need to get that RPG book, it sounds like a good read.

Get the core book and the Colonial Marines Operations manual at least, they’re good poo poo. The other two books are dedicated campaign books.

SUNKOS posted:

Thank you very much, gonna check that out. Hopefully those are part of the Alien RPG too :D

Edit: The art for this on a quick Google search is hilarious. One of the first images is a panel of a berserker unit (I think?) and Jeri unleashing hell in a hive together. Gonna need to check if this is available in one of the Omnibus collections. Edit - poo poo, apparently they're all out of print and overpriced by resellers now.

Marvel reprinted it (and a ton of other stuff) in Omnibus 2:

Aliens: The Original Years Omnibus Vol. 2 https://a.co/d/im7XSbB

As for the RPG, I actually just asked the author about it - Jeri and other synthetic Aliens aren’t in it because the RPG’s timeline (2186) hasn’t reached when Jeri shows up (2200ish).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I don't know what your 'opponents' here are arguing against?

That it is awesome and interesting that Prometheus tells us the Space Jockey is a human, and they invented humans in their own image? I guess I shouldn't feed the trolls, but does anyone think it was actually cool that the Space Jockey was just a guy?

It was always just a guy!

There's no escaping this. Like even if that thing was the pilot's body rather than the pilot's spacesuit, he'd just be a guy with an exoskeleton and a trunk. He's still just like us in every way that matters because he died to a facehugger, and the specific reason he died to a facehugger was probably that he did not receive adequate protections while performing his extremely hazardous job, which he hates.

SUNKOS posted:

"Giger"? Never heard of the guy but I guess I'll do a Google research. Let's see here...

Oh yeah nothing humanoid here. Not a single quadrupedal body plan or recognizable face in sight, and certainly nothing suggestive of other familiar body parts-

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 16, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

and the specific reason he died to a facehugger was probably that he did not receive adequate protections while performing his extremely hazardous job, which he hates.

We kind of don’t know any of this.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xenomrph posted:

We kind of don’t know any of this.

Well he's in a spaceship or observatory or military installation or something, but he's welded to his chair, and the loving eggs are just sitting there on the floor without even a lid on their holding bays. Totally unobstructed path for any facehugger that happens to wake up in the middle of the night, accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, the Engineers had long since evolved beyond OSHA.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

Get the core book and the Colonial Marines Operations manual at least, they’re good poo poo. The other two books are dedicated campaign books.

Marvel reprinted it (and a ton of other stuff) in Omnibus 2:

Aliens: The Original Years Omnibus Vol. 2 https://a.co/d/im7XSbB

As for the RPG, I actually just asked the author about it - Jeri and other synthetic Aliens aren’t in it because the RPG’s timeline (2186) hasn’t reached when Jeri shows up (2200ish).

drat, Marvel reprinted them last year and they're already no longer available?! :stare: Hardcover prices are wild, but I'll keep my fingers crossed they do a reprint at some point. Thanks for letting me know though, I searched Amazon and just saw collections of the novels.

Also interesting that the RPG is firmly locked into a timeline. Actually pretty clever and seems like a smart way of preventing things from getting out of control with feature creep and such but also a bit of a shame. I wonder if there may one day be expansions that go beyond? I'm not sure how it works but I remember looking at Mothership RPG which has... modules (?) which act as various expansions to the rules/scenarios. There's some stuff I think is silly (I think Resurrection is good but the Walmart line should not have been in there and while I love the body horror of the failed clones, I think the story would have worked better without Ripley, personally) there seems to be some fun stuff that's ripe for picking if the author ever feels inclined. I see Aliens RPG already has some expansions (seems like the Heart of Darkness cinematic scenario is the latest) so maybe one day there could be a scenario set in the future? At the same time, I can also respect the author not wanting things to get silly as well. Whoever gave us that Jeri art is brilliant though, reminds me of the Aliens Special cover which is also excellent.

Ferrinus posted:

Oh yeah nothing humanoid here. Not a single quadrupedal body plan or recognizable face in sight, and certainly nothing suggestive of other familiar body parts-

My brother in Christ PLEASE LOOK AT THE COCK.

I know you're joking but I think you missed what I was getting at. I'm looking at goofy poo poo right now however so namaste :cheers:

Also brief side note here, but I always assumed the sequel to Covenant would explain the alien becoming biomechanical via some sort of wild experiment where David begins to experiment on himself. We'll never know it seems, but the creature in Covenant looking distinctly organic compared to the big chap in Alien seemed like a "We're not quite there yet" hint.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SUNKOS posted:

I think that was the "familiar body part" Giger's art was "suggestive of."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Like, for real though, the humanoid is what the "bio" in biomechanical art refers too. If you want non-humanoid biomechanical art, that's the Nostromo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

I know you're joking but I think you missed what I was getting at. I'm looking at goofy poo poo right now however so namaste :cheers:

Also brief side note here, but I always assumed the sequel to Covenant would explain the alien becoming biomechanical via some sort of wild experiment where David begins to experiment on himself. We'll never know it seems, but the creature in Covenant looking distinctly organic compared to the big chap in Alien seemed like a "We're not quite there yet" hint.

If you were making a joke it completely went over my head, so I'll just try to speak plainly here: Giger is clearly in no way trying to avoid things being "humanoid", but rather is melding human life and sexuality with machinery. If he was just painting and sculpting masses of tubes and plates without any faces or figures enmeshed within it just wouldn't hit the same.

I really like the sculpture of Lee Bontecou so it's not like doing that would be bad, but claiming that the space jockey or indeed the xenomorph aren't humanoid beings just confuses me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Alien is humanoid, the Jockey and his ship are not.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

I think that was the "familiar body part" Giger's art was "suggestive of."

I can't post it because it's NSFW but our guy did not limit himself to penis. The erotomechanics series shows some of his diversity but know it's NSFW if searching Google.

Ferrinus posted:

I really like the sculpture of Lee Bontecou so it's not like doing that would be bad, but claiming that the space jockey or indeed the xenomorph aren't humanoid beings just confuses me.

Can agree to disagree :) I've always thought it quite obviously intentional that the space jockey was a biomechanical creature fused with the chair, and also hold the personal favor towards cosmic horror and the unknown being an aspect of the franchise that should have been preserved since to me it's more enjoyable not knowing and having something to ponder and discuss, much like we have throughout this huge thread. It's similar to the "Is Deckard a replicant?" question from Blade Runner for me, whereby I think it's more enjoyable not having a definite answer and everything spelled out for the audience. Mystery itself is an art form that can be executed well or poorly, and I think Alien & Blade Runner executed it very well. Everyone will have different thoughts and opinions which is enjoyable and part of the magic I think but like I said, can agree to disagree.

To elaborate further however regarding the space jockey? For me, that creature has no legs and is a prime example of Giger's biomechanical style. It's not humanoid and it's not pure machine, and that's interesting and alien to me. Could counter of course that lacking limbs does not deprive someone of their humanity (which I agree upon) but in the context of this media? I think the intention is as I described. This extends to the derelict ship as well, and the way that the walls themselves seemed to be sweating almost, truly stellar set design throughout and something that bugged me about Prometheus, with how they were unable to replicate that effect.

Ferrinus posted:

Giger is clearly in no way trying to avoid things being "humanoid", but rather is melding human life and sexuality with machinery. If he was just painting and sculpting masses of tubes and plates without any faces or figures enmeshed within it just wouldn't hit the same.

Quick edit here because I forgot but yes, if Giger was just painting and sculpting masses of tubes and plates without any faces or figures you are right that it would not hit the same because it would not be biomechanical, it would just be mechanical. This relates to above and where I'm coming from with my thoughts.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 16, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Also interesting that the RPG is firmly locked into a timeline. Actually pretty clever and seems like a smart way of preventing things from getting out of control with feature creep and such but also a bit of a shame. I wonder if there may one day be expansions that go beyond? I'm not sure how it works but I remember looking at Mothership RPG which has... modules (?) which act as various expansions to the rules/scenarios. There's some stuff I think is silly (I think Resurrection is good but the Walmart line should not have been in there and while I love the body horror of the failed clones, I think the story would have worked better without Ripley, personally) there seems to be some fun stuff that's ripe for picking if the author ever feels inclined. I see Aliens RPG already has some expansions (seems like the Heart of Darkness cinematic scenario is the latest) so maybe one day there could be a scenario set in the future? At the same time, I can also respect the author not wanting things to get silly as well. Whoever gave us that Jeri art is brilliant though, reminds me of the Aliens Special cover which is also excellent.

I like the time they set it in, like just on the cusp of a potential war breaking out in different places between a few major government and corporate forces, Morse wrote his book so while almost no one has seen a xenomorph and lived people are generally aware that there's vaguely bad or/and potentially profitable poo poo out there that's alien in origin and people sometimes find artifacts/undefinable remains of non-human stuff. The lore for the androids makes it easy to fit any style we've seen any of the movies into a game, etc.

It's definitely possible, like Shadowrun has books for if you want to play in "2050" instead of the current timeline so like you have the new rules but still the early 80s/90s stylings and "future" technology as portrayed in previous editions of the game. And there's plenty of future/past/whatever expansions for games and it's not unheard of for there to be a silly one off expansion or two to games like this.

I don't know how much money they make on the stuff, but it would definitely be fun if there was a "gently caress it, here's all the so stupid it loving rules stuff that happens in the future" final book/expansion to cap it off whenever they think it's run its course.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That’s no airhose on Jokey, it’s a TRUNK.

Jokey is actually of the same race of Starfaring creatures as Yara, the elephant-headed being Conan finds at the top of the tower in the RE Howard story “The Tower of the Elephant”

Proving that Conan’s world and the world of Alien are one and the same, albeit being depicted several thousand years apart.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

The Alien is humanoid, the Jockey and his ship are not.

Most spaceships aren't humanoid, but a spaceship pilot with two eyes set into a head which itself is atop a pair of shoulders that each give way to one arm while the rest of the torso curves down into a seated position? Get outta here. You're still a humanoid if your legs are amputated. Centaurs, and even Jabba the Hutt, are entirely familiar and relatable beings despite the idiosyncracies in their otherwise-human body plans.

SUNKOS posted:

I can't post it because it's NSFW but our guy did not limit himself to penis. The erotomechanics series shows some of his diversity but know it's NSFW if searching Google.

Can agree to disagree :) I've always thought it quite obviously intentional that the space jockey was a biomechanical creature fused with the chair, and also hold the personal favor towards cosmic horror and the unknown being an aspect of the franchise that should have been preserved since to me it's more enjoyable not knowing and having something to ponder and discuss, much like we have throughout this huge thread. It's similar to the "Is Deckard a replicant?" question from Blade Runner for me, whereby I think it's more enjoyable not having a definite answer and everything spelled out for the audience. Mystery itself is an art form that can be executed well or poorly, and I think Alien & Blade Runner executed it very well. Everyone will have different thoughts and opinions which is enjoyable and part of the magic I think but like I said, can agree to disagree.

To elaborate further however regarding the space jockey? For me, that creature has no legs and is a prime example of Giger's biomechanical style. It's not humanoid and it's not pure machine, and that's interesting and alien to me. Could counter of course that lacking limbs does not deprive someone of their humanity (which I agree upon) but in the context of this media? I think the intention is as I described. This extends to the derelict ship as well, and the way that the walls themselves seemed to be sweating almost, truly stellar set design throughout and something that bugged me about Prometheus, with how they were unable to replicate that effect.

Just look at your own language: the space jockey is fused with the chair.

Are you "fused" with your legs? No, you just have them.

quote:

Quick edit here because I forgot but yes, if Giger was just painting and sculpting masses of tubes and plates without any faces or figures you are right that it would not hit the same because it would not be biomechanical, it would just be mechanical. This relates to above and where I'm coming from with my thoughts.

Alright I think there's some fundamental confusion about vocabulary here, like you and I are using "biomechanical" or "humanoid" to reference completely different concepts.

The way I read it, the root word "bio" refers to life, not people. Here's something biomechanical:

It's based off a crab and centipede, and clearly done in Giger's style. But Giger does not satisfy himself with adding tubes and plating to, like, trees and tubeworms. His art is very much about people. There are specifically humanoid figures fused with machinery, often specifically relating to sexuality and reproduction, hence the dicks, fetuses, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Guys, you can cut out the middleman and just ask ChatGPT to make funposts yourself.

quote:

The Xenomorph represents a metaphorical embodiment of the feminist movement and its struggle for equality and recognition in a patriarchal society.

The Xenomorph, like the feminist movement, begins as an unassuming and unrecognized presence, hidden beneath the surface of the dominant culture. It is only discovered through a process of exploration and excavation.

Similarly, as the Alien begins to emerge from hibernation, it initially manifests as a small, indistinct creature, with little discernible identity or agency. This parallels with the early stages of feminism where the movement was mostly disorganized and lacked the widespread recognition and support that it would eventually gain.

As the film progresses, the Xenomorph undergoes a metamorphosis, growing into a formidable predator with a distinct, sexually charged design. It bears a phallic head and an elongated tongue, which it uses to capture its prey, and its actions are a manifestation of the patriarchal power dynamics that feminism seeks to dismantle. Furthermore, the Xenomorph's design, with its combination of sexual imagery and monstrous attributes, represents a reflection of the societal expectations and representations of gender roles that feminists have long sought to critique.

In much the same way, second-wave feminism grew and developed over time, accentuating its goals and creating a powerful, recognizable identity that mobilized its supporters to challenge patriarchal structures and ideologies.

The way in which the Xenomorph is consistently referred to as 'it' serves to further distance its design from traditional feminine stereotypes, thereby emphasizing the ways in which gender roles are artificially constructed. This deconstruction of the traditional gender binary suggestive of the feminist movement's attempts to challenge and dismantle such constricting gender roles. The film's portrayal of the Xenomorph, as a sexually- charged amalgam of monstrous attributes, also aligns with post-modern feminist schools of thought which emphasize the need for a more fluid, pluralistic understanding of gender roles and relationships.

The Xenomorph's ability to adapt and evolve in response to its environment and its relentless pursuit and elimination of its prey is reflective of the feminist movement's capacity to mobilize, adapt, and progress despite the obstacles in its path. The Xenomorph's unrelenting pursuit of its goals also echoes the feminist movement's relentless quest for gender parity and recognition, with its unrelenting passion and drive to bring about transformative change.

Additionally, the Xenomorph's status as a creature disconnected from social mores and codes is similar to the feminist movement's emphasis on dismantling institutional structures that perpetuate gender inequality and privilege.

In conclusion, Ridley Scott's masterful composition of the film ALIEN represents a groundbreaking and critically acclaimed analysis of second-generation feminism through a captivating and artfully crafted cinematic backdrop. The Xenomorph, with its sexually charged design and portrayal of the tension between the feminine and the masculine, represents both the patriarchal power dynamic that the feminist movement seeks to dismantle and the forceful feminist resistance that champions equality and justice in the face of oppression. The film's portrayal of Ripley's character, her persistence, and her independence serves as a powerful reminder of the very essence of the feminist movement and its continued relevance and importance in today's world.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

quote:

When we look at the works of H.R. Giger, we only see an absence of humanity. His famous Bio-mechanical world is devoid of life, emotion, or even the slightest trace of humanity. It is an entirely soulless world that is as cold as death itself.

Giger's work primarily focuses on the representation of biomechanical entities and dark, macabre scenes that depict a dystopian future where humanity has become subservient to technology. But in his obsession with depicting these futuristic nightmares, he forgets that he is an artist who is supposed to evoke emotions and create a connection between the audience and his art.

The peculiar thing about Giger's artworks is that despite containing images of humans, they often lack any real human essence. They are usually seen as cold, android-like beings, and on the rare occasion they express any emotion, it is often one of terror or pain. Giger's work is awash with twisted, mechanical figures that are utterly devoid of warmth, love, or any positive human feeling.

The lack of humanity in Giger's work highlights how he fails to connect with humanity on any meaningful level. His images of bio-mechanical entities are coldly-crafted, lifeless artifacts that merely espouse the bloodless materialism of technology. He separates himself from emotions and the human condition, content to explore the abstract, dystopian representations of a future where we have lost sight of what it means to love.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ferrimus and smg your posts are good, much like prometheus and alien covenant. It is unfortunate that folks are stuck in an obstinate collector-fandom mindset that's ultimately sterile and repetitive. Peace.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Most spaceships aren't humanoid, but a spaceship pilot with two eyes set into a head which itself is atop a pair of shoulders that each give way to one arm while the rest of the torso curves down into a seated position? Get outta here. You're still a humanoid if your legs are amputated. Centaurs, and even Jabba the Hutt, are entirely familiar and relatable beings despite the idiosyncracies in their otherwise-human body plans.
Jabba the Hutt is not humanoid. He can be relatable and familiar without being humanoid. Relatable things do not need to be humanoid to be relatable. The vacuum from the Brave Little Toaster is not humanoid, but he is relatable. My cat is not humanoid, but I can read his body language and tell when he is happy, frightened, angry, hungry, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanoid

I think you’re conflating “humanoid” (the physical depiction of things that have a typical human body structure) with “humanizing” or “anthropomorphizing”. You can humanize or anthropomorphize non-humanoid things.

I will grant you that elements of the Space Jockey are humanoid. A human amputee can be argued that he has humanoid elements. But the moment that human amputee sockets himself into a set of mechanical spider legs at his waist (or becomes biomechanically fused to a spaceship) he ceases to be humanoid, and only part of him is.

The Space Jockey is not in a seated position, that would require him to be independent of the chair. He isn’t - he is the chair, there is no distinction.

Fuligin posted:

Ferrimus and smg your posts are good, much like prometheus and alien covenant. It is unfortunate that folks are stuck in an obstinate collector-fandom mindset that's ultimately sterile and repetitive. Peace.
Nobody here is talking about collector-fandom anything :confused:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 16, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fuligin posted:

It is unfortunate that folks are stuck in an obstinate collector-fandom mindset that's ultimately sterile and repetitive. Peace.

quote:

here are some reasons why some people believe that the Alien franchise has become repetitive:

Lack of Originality: The Alien franchise has been around for over forty years and has released several movies and spin-offs. However, many fans argue that the franchise has lost its originality and creativity. It seems like the creators keep recycling the same ideas, themes, and concepts without bringing anything new to the table.

Overreliance on Fandom: Some critics believe that the Alien franchise has become too obsessed with its fan base. Instead of taking risks and exploring new storylines, the creators have focused on pleasing their existing audience by catering to their expectations and desires. This approach has resulted in a lack of innovation and fresh ideas, making the franchise repetitive and stale.

The Focus on the Xenomorph: The Xenomorph, the iconic alien creature from the first Alien movie, has become the centerpiece of the entire franchise. While this monster is undoubtedly terrifying and memorable, the focus on it has overshadowed other important elements of the story, such as character development, world-building, and plot twists. As a result, the franchise has become predictable and formulaic.

Money-Driven Approach: Finally, some critics argue that the Alien franchise has become too commercialized, with producers more interested in making money than creating great art. This money-driven approach has resulted in rushed and low-quality productions, as well as the overuse of cheap gimmicks and clichés. Fans are starting to see through this insincere approach, which in turn, fuels frustration and disappointment.

Overall, these factors have contributed to the alien franchise's downfall as they center their focus on making money instead of exploring unique storylines and pushing creative boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I find jabba highly relatable, personally