Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

madmatt112 posted:

Jesus I live in Canada and even I knew he was making a joke about Finns’ stereotypical alcohol consumption. And/or lack of interest in other people.

But was it a good joke? I mean okay it's Jerry so of course not, but generally speaking: You can get good health care in Finland, and shockingly that involves asking people whether they are currently drunk, or if they've been on a bender, or whatever.

Here, have your usual drunken Finn I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Conservatives should just be honest what “woke” means to them rather than cowardly dog whistles. It’s not like they’d face repercussions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/1636050349889929240

He's 100 years old how does he know about dril

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Best part is her being like "it's hard to quickly define" and the host being "oh take your time"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
maybe he IS dril!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Might be helpful if you ever have to argue with idiots

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"All the racists left the party after the Dems passed civil rights legislation" gets you 95% of the way there

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1636401797735522306?s=20

The only solution is to nationalize all the banks!

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 16, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

So what do they do when the shooter climbs on top of a desk and opens up the drop ceiling panels?

Now, I'm no shootologist, but the phrase "fish in a barrel" springs to mind.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So what do they do when the shooter climbs on top of a desk and opens up the drop ceiling panels?

That is by design. Clean up is easier since it's all contained in the box so you can just replace the box for the next batch of students.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Have you not seen Aliens, like just give all the kids motion trackers and pulse rifles. Problem solved.

Hmm, well okay, seem to remember most of the Marines died in that scene, so um problem sort of solved.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I know this is the worst timeline and has been for a ling time, plus it’s the US, but still, after 40 summers of this bullshit my mind can’t comprehend how the answer to having schoolchildren executed by rampaging gunmen is a collapsable in-class bunker.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mokotow posted:

I know this is the worst timeline and has been for a ling time, plus it’s the US, but still, after 40 summers of this bullshit my mind can’t comprehend how the answer to having schoolchildren executed by rampaging gunmen is a collapsable in-class bunker.

It's because the only problem US society has with dead schoolchildren is that we're somehow not making money on it.

Problem solved.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

On the upside I don't think anyone suggested installing rubber floors you can hose down

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mobby_6kl posted:

On the upside I don't think anyone suggested installing rubber floors you can hose down

Polished cement with antibacterial epoxy coating and added particulates for better grip when the floors are wet. Resin is used rather than paint so you can build up the corners and edges to a gentle curve so blood and meat fragments don't get trapped there :eng101:

Worked in abattoir as a young man. Worked as chemist doing paint development as a slightly less young man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mokotow posted:

On the bright side, it's a step up from wanting all the teachers and administration to be packing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm more worried about what happens if a shooter brings a HEAT round or .50 AP ammo to school. Are these walls made out of composite armor? I don't see any reactive armor charges. Do you have to order these extra? Is this really where we want to cut corners and nickel and dime people? On our active shooter class room bunkers? It's shameful behavior from the class room bunker industry

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Gyges posted:

On the bright side, it's a step up from wanting all the teachers and administration to be packing.

Oh yeah no murder holes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not intended to work it's intended to make parents feel better about their kids safety. 99.9999% of classrooms are never going to see an active shooter.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zoux posted:

It's not intended to work it's intended to make parents feel better about their kids safety. 99.9999% of classrooms are never going to see an active shooter.

That's probably already not true

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/interactive/school-shootings-database/

>338k kids have experienced gun violence at school since Columbine. And the trend is accelerating so it's definitely not gonna be true in the future. So I say it again: our children need composite and reactive armor for the bunkers. We cannot let the shooters win

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

zoux posted:

You’ll have to show your work on that one.

Only 1 in 1 million classrooms will see a shooting? I don’t think that’s right. 300 school shootings in 2022. I’m guessing there are fewer than 300 million classrooms in the United States, and that’s only the data for one year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There were 76 million students in just the year 2000. Sorry if I pressed 9 one too many times but the vast, vast majority of kids are never going to be involved in an active shooting. It's like 1 in 10 million. My point is, the odds that the handful of school districts - if any - are going to buy MRAP chalkboards are going to also have a school shooting is very, very low.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 17, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That’s true, and this stupid room is not a decent solution to the problem, but I don’t think it’s helpful to minimize the real and surprising large problem of gun violence in schools.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not minimizing it, you guys are going all "this isn't very tactically sound" and I'm saying, that doesn't matter the point of it is to make parents feel better because we can't address the actual problem.

e: actually the point is for some company to land an ISD contract for these things and make a few million bucks for installing Anti-School Shooting Rocks in classrooms

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If that was your point, then the sentence of your post discussing the odds of a child being involved in a school shooting is completely irrelevant in addition to being factually incorrect.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm not minimizing it, you guys are going all "this isn't very tactically sound" and I'm saying, that doesn't matter the point of it is to make parents feel better because we can't address the actual problem.

e: actually the point is for some company to land an ISD contract for these things and make a few million bucks for installing Anti-School Shooting Rocks in classrooms

If you install those bunkers in only every second class room they are gonna be used on an almost weekly basis somewhere in the US. They should definitely be designed to work. It's gonna save lives.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zoux posted:

No but they're going to feel his bullets.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like it's worth noting that every time there is a school shooting the entire school is affected, so one shooting might affect 600 to 1200+ students depending on school size.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

I feel like it's worth noting that every time there is a school shooting the entire school is affected, so one shooting might affect 600 to 1200+ students depending on school size.

The entire country is affected, which is why people are so afraid of them, even though statistically a child is much more likely to be the victim of gun violence outside of school rather than inside of it. People can't process risk very well at that scale.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The amount of school shootings should be 0 and not hundreds a year regardless of what fraction of a percentage point of people are affected. Regardless if my daughter actually sees a person with a gun walking into her school, she's already affected by all the lockdowns and drills and other bullshit. Saying it only affects .000000whatever percent of students is disingenuous. No one should have to sit down and consider a risk assessment for sending their kids to school.

A kill box in every classroom doesn't solve poo poo but it sure it fun to laugh at on the internet so it's hard to say if it's good or bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

See, right there you're saying that your daughter is already affected by this due to what we know to be ineffective security theater like lockdowns and drills. I'm saying the box is the same thing, and for some reason that's massively controversial? I agree that school shootings are a big problem even though they are statistically insignificant, and we should address the actual problem - access to guns - rather than nibble around the edges accomplishing nothing but extreme psychological damage. The fact that it's an infinitesimal chance that an honest-to-god school shooter is going to show up in a classroom means that we should probably stop inflicting permanent psychic trauma on every school kid in America because we are shackled to a meat grinder by six members of Opus Dei. No drills, no lockdowns, no bullet proof backpacks or whatever dystopian solutions the right keeps floating for this.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

poemdexter posted:

The amount of school shootings should be 0 and not hundreds a year regardless of what fraction of a percentage point of people are affected. Regardless if my daughter actually sees a person with a gun walking into her school, she's already affected by all the lockdowns and drills and other bullshit. Saying it only affects .000000whatever percent of students is disingenuous. No one should have to sit down and consider a risk assessment for sending their kids to school.

A kill box in every classroom doesn't solve poo poo but it sure it fun to laugh at on the internet so it's hard to say if it's good or bad.

Other countries have banned most firearms and observed significant lasting drops in gun violence. It's an effective long term solution.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let's change the topic to something more fun!

"A sample social studies curriculum prepared for Florida schools removes earlier references to race from Rosa Parks' story, saying only that she "was told to move to a different seat."
https://www.al.com/education/2023/03/report-florida-textbook-altered-rosa-parks-story-to-remove-references-to-race.html

:hmmyes: I wonder what Fred Korematsu was upset about

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Let's change the topic to something more fun!

"A sample social studies curriculum prepared for Florida schools removes earlier references to race from Rosa Parks' story, saying only that she "was told to move to a different seat."
https://www.al.com/education/2023/03/report-florida-textbook-altered-rosa-parks-story-to-remove-references-to-race.html

:hmmyes: I wonder what Fred Korematsu was upset about

What's worse is that this is for US History AP

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Some people picked cotton and didn't like their job very much. So the northern states fought the southern states about if picking cotton is a good or a bad job. It was a big war and lots of people died. Today cotton is harvested by big machines and nobody picks it by hand anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Junkie accountant is an easy out. I'd need to know more about what planet we're headed to before I get rid of the muscle. I'd also like to know what business the woman who only speaks Cherokee manages.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 17, 2023

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sure leave the junkie accountant, have fun finding a dealer on Mars with no contacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Bye bye anti-gay priest