Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Log082 posted:

I've actually tried to work out where containers would make sense, and as far as I can tell, they don't. You need a special packing/unpacking facility and loading/unloading times are never really a problem in this game, which is what makes containers actually useful in real life shipping. I haven't actually used them, so maybe I'm missing something, though.

I "made it work" with some mod building like a gigantic container loading facility which had large storage for goods and packed container linked with the port. Then, I could dump anything I over-produced via train distribution office. The big benefit this had IMO was the ship being loaded with nearly anything and you could send enough stuff to fill a large ship without needing some crazy array of warehouse/storage yard. Shipping food, uranium oxide and chemicals from the same point and with a single type of ship made it decently easy to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My idea for how I'll run containerized export in my current save is similar, basically. There will be a containerizing facility near to the production area and I'll use distro offices to shuttle only 'overflow' goods (so, over 80% of some storage) to the container facility, and from there it'll go to rail and ship, or truck and ship if the volume is low enough. It'll just kind of set up a nice system where if its in a container, its being sold.

I have no idea why I would ever unpack anything, personally, unless its some weird edge case of buying containers from the borders to speed up loading?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My idea for how I'll run containerized export in my current save is similar, basically. There will be a containerizing facility near to the production area and I'll use distro offices to shuttle only 'overflow' goods (so, over 80% of some storage) to the container facility, and from there it'll go to rail and ship, or truck and ship if the volume is low enough. It'll just kind of set up a nice system where if its in a container, its being sold.

I have no idea why I would ever unpack anything, personally, unless its some weird edge case of buying containers from the borders to speed up loading?

I used to container workshop directly at the port because I didn't want to mess around with lines to move containers because you can't it with DO but it should still work.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

I guess there is a usecase if you want to use a containership to bring back raw materials on the return trip to feed industries?

I wish there was a way to prioritize tasks in a DO, so I could say "Ship this steel to the mechanical components plant, export via customs house if storage is above 80%" on a single DO.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look, comrades, this happens every year, yes somebody may have forgotten to buy nuclear fuel but that's because you arseholes keep using it in summer. I bought a whole tonne of it last year which is more than enough to keep you alive through the winter if you don't use it through the summer but you keep doing it.

This is why we have thousands of people without their own flat, so when this inevitably happens there are spare people to take up the jobs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Look, comrades, this happens every year, yes somebody may have forgotten to buy nuclear fuel but that's because you arseholes keep using it in summer. I bought a whole tonne of it last year which is more than enough to keep you alive through the winter if you don't use it through the summer but you keep doing it.

This is why we have thousands of people without their own flat, so when this inevitably happens there are spare people to take up the jobs.

comrades, our republic is now sufficiently economically and socially advanced to establish a superior copy of the british pension plan

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I see you also refuse to give your citizens alcohol.

This is the way.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Philippe posted:

I see you also refuse to give your citizens alcohol.

This is the way.

Was about to make the same comment and explain how loving bullshit it was. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I honestly haven't ever seen the point, they don't seem to give a poo poo if they don't get it and having it just makes people more unhealthy.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The vanilla pub building being ugly as poo poo doesn't help matters either.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Just slap some big red letters on it

Is there anything that can be done so ground around housing doesn't look like construction site? There is barely any grass. I guess I can plant a shitload of trees to cover it all, but then my commie town will look like forest

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish you could spend some money to have proper landscaping as well. I want communist corbusier.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I will not hear this besmirching of Comrade Bar Drinks. It’s my favorite place to go and unwind between my shifts at the grocery store and nuclear power plant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Finally got the republic relatively stable, got proper rail imports for most goods or domestic production, starting the highway and rail sprint across the map to link up with the resource deposits. Also moderately unfucked my rail spaghet south of the industrial district by greatly elongating the spur and adding a full trainabout as well as making a secondary line to link up with the main one further along the main infrastructure run.

Still need constant train deliveries to keep up with the fabric factory alas. I have a long enough rail line that I could make some dedicated XL trains to fill it at least, we will see how that goes. Don't really want to run those through my already very busy network near the city however.

Really wish I had integrated metro or something. Didn't properly identify just how many people those toblerones can stack (20 thousand people) and so the services are creaking rather heavily. The sewage system especially.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 16, 2023

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That is gorgeous.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
This game has taught me that I do not understand how to set up railway signals.

It has also taught me that I am very bad at urban planning. Luckily the party has generously granted me millions of rubles and doesn't appear to mind that the powerstation has been built and demolished 3 times because the wires and/or road were in the wrong place.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Finally got the republic relatively stable, got proper rail imports for most goods or domestic production, starting the highway and rail sprint across the map to link up with the resource deposits. Also moderately unfucked my rail spaghet south of the industrial district by greatly elongating the spur and adding a full trainabout as well as making a secondary line to link up with the main one further along the main infrastructure run.

Still need constant train deliveries to keep up with the fabric factory alas. I have a long enough rail line that I could make some dedicated XL trains to fill it at least, we will see how that goes. Don't really want to run those through my already very busy network near the city however.

Really wish I had integrated metro or something. Didn't properly identify just how many people those toblerones can stack (20 thousand people) and so the services are creaking rather heavily. The sewage system especially.

This looks great!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Fake Name posted:

It has also taught me that I am very bad at urban planning. Luckily the party has generously granted me millions of rubles and doesn't appear to mind that the powerstation has been built and demolished 3 times because the wires and/or road were in the wrong place.

Don't worry, you're probably just as good as real urban planners. And a good portion of us play these games anyway.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Beautiful work. I wish this game wasn't quite so difficult to get over the "new save, get everything running" hump so I could get back to it more easily... loaded up a map several times now and quit without setting anything up since there's just so much to take care of.

This is in Realistic I take it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yep! Did a 1970 start with medium cash and medium citizen reactions and everything else turned on. Managed to keep myself afloat with loans and used a modded large fabric/clothing factory supported by shipped in crops as the cash maker, combined with tourism, because that map has no actual resources near the start point so you need to basically buy something in and process it to sell.

Came within a few hundred thousand max loan cap of bankruptcy but am now quite solvent and making good money.

E: oh and I have a big automated water well and some helpful underground water/sewage infrastructure which works quite well for making trunk lines you can branch off of. Although the sewage lines do seem to have a weird throughput cap even with parallel pipes. Also a small nuclear heating plant which I'm not sure if it's a good thing because it's very expensive to run compared to a coal plant. City probably uses like half a million roubles in nuclear fuel each year at this point. The plant generates no pollution though which is why I like it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 16, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fake Name posted:

The thing that gives me the most terrible is that WR signals aren't path based, so if you have a crossover then passing trains can block each other even if they are staying on their own tracks. I know this but somehow keep finding ways to screw it up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PerniciousKnid posted:

The thing that gives me the most terrible is that WR signals aren't path based, so if you have a crossover then passing trains can block each other even if they are staying on their own tracks. I know this but somehow keep finding ways to screw it up.

Are you sure? I think you can see the path the trains are planning in Signal View. Are you using pre-signals for crossover areas? I'm pretty sure they're smart enough to know that train X will not be using segment Y that train Z needs to use, and will give a conditional proceed signal (it's like light blue or something)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think pre-signals just turn blue if any of the possible exits from the block are green.

But trains do know where they need to go and still won't proceed unless their desired block is open. They can, however, use branching paths to circumvent blockages.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is changed but not communicated and they work like path based signals now.

E: just use regular signals entering an intersection without blocks inside of it the interchange like you used to have to do and it’ll handle itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still use pre signals entering the interchange because otherwise trains like to park themselves across the intersection and if the exit block isn't clear they block the entire junction.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Are you sure? I think you can see the path the trains are planning in Signal View. Are you using pre-signals for crossover areas? I'm pretty sure they're smart enough to know that train X will not be using segment Y that train Z needs to use, and will give a conditional proceed signal (it's like light blue or something)

When I had this problem most recently it was with rail layers, which I think have their own logic, so that might've been the issue.

I also realized belatedly that unconstructed tracks still create blocks so that trains on different forks of an unfinished loop will block each other. Which makes sense for simulation purposes but was very confusing visually.

OwlFancier posted:

I still use pre signals entering the interchange because otherwise trains like to park themselves across the intersection and if the exit block isn't clear they block the entire junction.

I thought that was basically the whole point of chain signals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broadly yes in game the double arrow signal will cause trains to wait at it until there is an available green signal exiting the block immediately following the double arrow. So it allows you to tell trains to wait outside of a complex block unless they can exit it safely. A single arrow will simple allow the train to proceed and wait before the exit, which on complex blocks like junctions will mean "park across several tracks and block the entire network"

In UK road parlance it works basically like a yellow box junction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m starting a new game with a challenge mode: no cable car

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

I’m starting a new game with a challenge mode: no cable car

Some of you will die, living walkably near to power plants, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If you're motivated by metrics, imo it looks better to the central committee to have a few extra deaths rather than thousands of escapes.

(This game is very weird and morbid at times.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you're motivated by metrics, imo it looks better to the central committee to have a few extra deaths rather than thousands of escapes.

(This game is very weird and morbid at times.)

Almost as if it reflects some of the decisions that Soviet planning made!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game is a little weird in that 20% of the population dying causes the same sort of happiness issues as like, a couple months without meat in the diet.

It does at least cause long term problems because hoo boy that's a lotta orphans if you have a death wave. Now you would think that freezing to death would primarily select for orphans but apparently not.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Okay, so how do wind mills ACTUALLY work for power? As far as I can tell there's no wind in specific parts of the map, just one overall speed. I have seven windmills on a flat plane (not a single elevation line between them) all hooked up to the grid. Three spin, four don't. At all. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The last time I tried windmills as more than "plop next to remote gas stations" was like a year ago, where they seemed to only spin as fast as the power draw they needed was, but they put out some weird voltage like 80KV so the town was constantly bouncing between being powered and not. I'm sure it's better now but I just haven't bothered looking.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The game is a little weird in that 20% of the population dying causes the same sort of happiness issues as like, a couple months without meat in the diet.

After the past few years this seems like a reasonable model to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay, so how do wind mills ACTUALLY work for power? As far as I can tell there's no wind in specific parts of the map, just one overall speed. I have seven windmills on a flat plane (not a single elevation line between them) all hooked up to the grid. Three spin, four don't. At all. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

They stop spinning when nothing is consumingthe power they produce, so either your republic doesn't need that power, or for some reason the electrical wiring setup you have has too many electrons in it and it's blocking the windmills from sending any :v:

Electricity works basically like water in this, so it is possible to jam up your wires with too much power in which case rather than melt, it just blocks other providers from sending any more.

I have generally found that windmills and other renewables will cause fueled plants to switch off or throttle down if they're producing a lot, but hopefully the next patch will allow more explicit control of the electrical grid with priority switches so it might be easier to make prioritized setups.

They do currently usually work that way though, slap some wind turbines down and when the wind is blowing your fueled plants should throttle down. I guess my advice would be to check your grid and see if there are any issues with how it's wired because that's all I can suggest.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 18, 2023

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Wires can only carry a maximum of, I think, 19 KW so if you've put enough plants in series to hit that, then you're good on that string and should add more production after some consumers.

It's also possible that you have enough production in that area, since power producers won't produce more than is being used.

I think there's also something with wind power where they produce a percentage of their maximum based on wind speed, so that's why you rarely see one at full production even if the demand is there and get brownouts if you don't have enough turbines, but I've never been able to prove that, just noticed behavior that seems to fit that theory anecdotally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah realistically wind and solar never actually run at full capacity, but if some are off while others are running that's an inability to feed problem, the power isn't getting to consumers either because there isn't enough consumption or the wires are jammed.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Electricity is a very opaque system and I wish there was some better tools to understand what is actually going on. Do powerplants just create electricity "pressure" with brownouts if the pressure drops too low? Why does electricity at a substation/switch sometimes seem to fluctuate wildly within seconds while production in all powerplants is stable?

Should one just build local, separated networks around one powerplant instead of trying to build an integrated grid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ArchangeI posted:

Electricity is a very opaque system and I wish there was some better tools to understand what is actually going on. Do powerplants just create electricity "pressure" with brownouts if the pressure drops too low? Why does electricity at a substation/switch sometimes seem to fluctuate wildly within seconds while production in all powerplants is stable?

Should one just build local, separated networks around one powerplant instead of trying to build an integrated grid?
Until the new power grid tools come in the next patches, the best grid is single large producer with power lines sized to match each max consumption in a drawing down sort of progression.

A good power grid is any grid that works and works well with minimum brain power so just max line size you can afford everywhere and producers tied in or not on trial basis.