Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's not some new cutting edge augmented reality tech, that's just a heads-up display and has been used in military aircraft since 1958.

Cars or motorcycles with them are less common but the tech isn't exactly new. The BMW 5 series has had a HUD since 2004, and the newer ones have nav features too.
From a quick google search there are a handful of different companies making either helmets or helmet add-ons that can do it too. At least one such helmet add-on suffers from startup-itis and became a useless brick due to some always-online drm bullshit after the company went out of business.

It seems like keeping your eyes on the road while checking your speedometer would be a nice safety improvement so I wonder why it isn't standard on more cars.

Ya i know about huds, havent been living under a rock lol. I will expand though

imo the problem with the helmet huds is that its basically restricted to the helmet and you cant do anything else with it.

i think it would be neat if you could connect ar glasses to the motorcycle, or your car, through something like android auto. then you can use your ar glasses with any of your helmets, or with your car driving, or maybe even with your bicycle or whatever else you want to do with them. So then its a useful and versatile tool instead of a gimmick on one helmet you own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Turns out that at least in some cases, the Tesla app will let you drive off with a stranger's car.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1635733816089124864

quote:

Randev also sent the video footage and a description of the apparent malfunction to Tesla’s press email that same evening. In the message, which he shared with The Post, he wrote that he did not want to “affect the reputation of the company” by posting the video on social media or telling reporters before seeking a response from Tesla.
Still love the car, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Still love the car, though.
it's up there with "was able to put a down payment on a house with a small $200,000 gift from their parents" in terms of 'say the line, bart' level of consistency.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Baronash posted:

I've been disappointed that VR seems to suck all the air out of the room and has stunted the augmented reality stuff that I feel is a much more interesting use of the same technology. It's wild that the biggest VR company lacks the imagination for anything beyond reinventing Second Life with goggles.

When the biggest VR company is the biggest simply because their parent company decided to throw the most money at it that's the exact result you should expect. Meta's VR garbage is a skyscraper they're trying to build on a foundation of sand and gravel.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With the VR vs AR, pretty much. VR just seems so gimmicky, where as AR sure it can be gimmicky, but it also seems like something that could have real world actually handy work uses. Particularly in constructions site and what not where people are used to wearing safety glasses all day anyway, so easy enough to sell a type built into them. Particularly if they can figure out how to get notes left from co-workers attached to real life spaces, and accurate 3d model overlays. That stuff still seems like it's at last a decade away, but like at least it would be something that would be useful, unlike whatever the hell they just wasted 10 billion dollars on.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Isn't that what Microsoft has been working on with Hololens?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kyte posted:

Isn't that what Microsoft has been working on with Hololens?

Yeah, apparently still very expensive, bulky, and has problems with flickering colours and visuals. Again maybe in a decade or so the tech will be there, at the moment -even if they did a amazon and checked 10 billion at it- I just don't think it is. Also unlike Meta there do actually seem to be quite a few business interested in using it though.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I want to lend support to the training and worksite applications. Remote working is already increasing but I think it has the potential to be even better with AR. From surgery to remote underground bogging to crop dusting to tower crane operation.

Think about how quite detailed drawing are already worked up for pump or a gearbox but you don't want to continually strip down and wear the mating faces of your spare gearbox. VR could really help the training of your mechanical fitters or to teach welding technique for much cheaper than consuming expensive flux and materials constantly. Of course it wont replace all training but in the same way that all airlines now use simulators for the bulk of aircraft training (and especially failure mode training), I think cheaper VR and more robust makes it more accessible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nvidia about to make a real killing, if anyone has still been doubting that, on the back of multiple quarters of rising enterprise/DC revenues. As per scoop from The Information, Microsoft has been rationing GPU access for its internal teams to make the OpenAI squeeze for the Bing and Office tools, and the waitlist on GPT access for enterprise Azure customers is very long.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Softwar: A Novel Theory on Power Projection and the National Strategic Significance of Bitcoin Paperback – February 18, 2023

Highly recommended. Top praise. Countless awesomes.

This is an amazing first principles grounded theory of potentially immense historical consequence.

If JLO is right, BTC could mark the birth of an infinitely prosperous world economic system, with mutually assured preservation breaking the stalemate of mutually assured destruction and leading to a future of the seemingly limitless abundance that would result from an unbounded human prosperity margin.

Bitcoin could lead to the application of Moore's Law to the global power network (meaning an exponential increase in power delivery/cost), the empowerment of individuals with the physical power necessary to counter the abstract power of the technogod administrators of this digital age (including the fiat overlords with their tyrannical CBDCs), and perhaps even the end of kinetic war itself.

It's a genuinely mindblowing theory, thoroughly hashed out from amongst the alternatives, from a man with an outstanding amount of intellectual bravery and depth. I applaud the effort and pray that Jason is correct.

Buy BTC. Take custody. HODL.

Protect your wealth with a hashpower forcefield twice as powerful as the US Navy and growing daily, while simultaneously helping to build the only network that could literally end the mass murder of kinetic warfare.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i dont know who JLO is, but this coinz shield is weak poo poo that doesnt stop knifes or bullets or other coinz related murders.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OctaMurk posted:

Softwar: A Novel Theory on Power Projection and the National Strategic Significance of Bitcoin Paperback – February 18, 2023

Highly recommended. Top praise. Countless awesomes.

This is an amazing first principles grounded theory of potentially immense historical consequence.

If JLO is right, BTC could mark the birth of an infinitely prosperous world economic system, with mutually assured preservation breaking the stalemate of mutually assured destruction and leading to a future of the seemingly limitless abundance that would result from an unbounded human prosperity margin.

Bitcoin could lead to the application of Moore's Law to the global power network (meaning an exponential increase in power delivery/cost), the empowerment of individuals with the physical power necessary to counter the abstract power of the technogod administrators of this digital age (including the fiat overlords with their tyrannical CBDCs), and perhaps even the end of kinetic war itself.

It's a genuinely mindblowing theory, thoroughly hashed out from amongst the alternatives, from a man with an outstanding amount of intellectual bravery and depth. I applaud the effort and pray that Jason is correct.

Buy BTC. Take custody. HODL.

Protect your wealth with a hashpower forcefield twice as powerful as the US Navy and growing daily, while simultaneously helping to build the only network that could literally end the mass murder of kinetic warfare.

This is just a chatGPT response, isn't it?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

i dont know who JLO is, but this coinz shield is weak poo poo that doesnt stop knifes or bullets or other coinz related murders.
Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got
I'm still (I'm still) Jenny from the blockchain

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

IIRC, he's an incredibly naive Bitcoin crank who had some kind of military research job or something.

He read some high-level military theory papers talking about how war is* a contest of resources between two countries to resolve disputes by wasting tremendous amounts of money on military hardware completely useless for anything besides making impressive explosions. He figured that since Bitcoin is also a way to waste tremendous amounts of money on something completely useless, militaries could do the same thing by buying Bitcoin miners instead of bombs, and showing their supremacy by hashrate measurements instead of impressive explosions, thereby ushering in a sort of world peace where wars were bloodless affairs fought by competing for the highest mining rate instead of blowing poo poo up.

*The theories he read were obviously written from the perspective of a wealthy industrialized first-world country engaging in global imperialism and proxy conflicts for the sake of dickwaving and exerting control, such as the US. Though it's a bit of an old view even then - it sounds a lot like the kind of poo poo foreign policy analysts were writing in the 90s when America's only peer competitor had finally fallen after so long. There were plenty of writers who thought that with the Soviets gone, American wealth would now dominate global warfare to the point where hardly anyone would even dare to defy it. Afghanistan has since demonstrated that wealth alone doesn't win wars

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/gerrycanavan/status/1636146083553263617

https://twitter.com/codytfenwick/status/1636147887443771394

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Its fine, I'm sure we will have government legislation to protect us. When social media came along it only took them .....oh

Never mind.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

He figured that since Bitcoin is also a way to waste tremendous amounts of money on something completely useless, militaries could do the same thing by buying Bitcoin miners instead of bombs, and showing their supremacy by hashrate measurements instead of impressive explosions, thereby ushering in a sort of world peace where wars were bloodless affairs fought by competing for the highest mining rate instead of blowing poo poo up.
I saw that episode of Star Trek: TOS.

We learn by the end that it is better to make bombs and actually blow each other up than to try to sanitize war.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Inferior Third Season posted:

I saw that episode of Star Trek: TOS.

We learn by the end that it is better to make bombs and actually blow each other up than to try to sanitize war.

Ah yeah and I remember same idea from that movie War games. The only way for everyone to win, is for both sides to nuke each other at the the same time.

Great movie.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

dr_rat posted:

Ah yeah and I remember same idea from that movie War games. The only way for everyone to win, is for both sides to nuke each other at the the same time.

Great movie.

The War Games game, on the other hand...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nobody seriously thought it would set the atmosphere on fire. It was just a random “lol what if” which led to some people actually doing the math and concluding that it is literally impossible.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/bethe-teller-trinity-and-the-end-of-earth/

quote:

Konopinski, who was an expert on weak interactors, and Konopinski together with [inaudible] showed that it was incredibly impossible to set the hydrogen, to set the atmosphere on fire. They wrote one or two very good papers on it, and that put the question really at rest. They showed in great detail why it is impossible.

This is just something the dumb media picked up on and ran with, like how the LHC was going to create black holes and wipe us out from existence when it turned on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Nvidia about to make a real killing, if anyone has still been doubting that, on the back of multiple quarters of rising enterprise/DC revenues. As per scoop from The Information, Microsoft has been rationing GPU access for its internal teams to make the OpenAI squeeze for the Bing and Office tools, and the waitlist on GPT access for enterprise Azure customers is very long.

Now that crypto fell we need a new wasteful use for all these GPUs!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Now that crypto fell we need a new wasteful use for all these GPUs!

It's clearly a conspiracy by console manufacturers to kill PC gaming!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Nobody seriously thought it would set the atmosphere on fire. It was just a random “lol what if” which led to some people actually doing the math and concluding that it is literally impossible.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/bethe-teller-trinity-and-the-end-of-earth/

This is just something the dumb media picked up on and ran with, like how the LHC was going to create black holes and wipe us out from existence when it turned on.

On the other hand, the highly-lauded documentary "Plan 9 from Outer Space" says... :v:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

OctaMurk posted:

The only hash-power forcefield I need comes with a blowtourch and a glass nail.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Neito posted:

The only hash-power forcefield I need comes with a blowtourch and a glass nail.

I recommend getting a water pipe and a banger :2bong:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/TheCartelDel/status/1636262759947210753

Well, I think it may be time to revise the dem's chances for 2024 well downward. :bick:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
While I've been critical of tech , I've always thought it's overall improved people's lives overall. Even social media was pretty good for the first decade.

I think this is the first major technology that's going to be a net negative to human lives.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mega Comrade posted:

While I've been critical of tech , I've always thought it's overall improved people's lives overall. Even social media was pretty good for the first decade.

I think this is the first major technology that's going to be a net negative to human lives.

These techbro cretins will, by the time of critical periods in the 2024 contest handed state level disinfo operations to 8chan chuds with a 3090. And that is before the nightmarish response that trying to put a lid on this abomination will provoke.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 16, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Not too hard to find other examples I'd wager, I'd probably start with autoloading rifles for a start.

We're just about fully post-truth, the tech bros and the credulous buffoons making up the ranks of techno-utopianists have finally pulled us across the line that reactionaries have been working toward for the last 50+ years at the very least, and the promise of AI is finally being fulfilled. Infinitely generated mountains of spam and disinformation and we're still years out from anybody in power even beginning to start to think it may be a problem.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can AI do goatse accurately?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

withak posted:

Can AI do goatse accurately?

If you google “ai playground goatse” and click on images, there’s a few entries on the PlaygroundAI website by user “N-word Balls” that shows a pretty convincing goatse.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you google “ai playground goatse” and click on images, there’s a few entries on the PlaygroundAI website by user “N-word Balls” that shows a pretty convincing goatse.
truly the image where you'd want the correct amount of fingers

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for the detailed response but I don't think that I will be googling those things.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega Comrade posted:

"Almost got me with a weaponised meme."
- The Quantum Thief

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is one of the worst things I've read in my entire life

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Amphigory posted:

And the worst part is it's too long for a thread title

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Amphigory posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

And the worst part is it's too long for a thread title

Breaking news: PlaygroundAI user “N-word Balls” makes a pretty convincing goatse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

StratGoatCom posted:

These techbro cretins will, by the time of critical periods in the 2024 contest handed state level disinfo operations to 8chan chuds with a 3090. And that is before the nightmarish response that trying to put a lid on this abomination will provoke.

An abomination, you say? Could it be time for a crusade of sorts against it? A jihad, if you will? Perhaps a Butlerian one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

One of the few upshots here is that this may provoke reactions from the security establishment mind.