Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm still angry about "excess savings".

there's excess savings, they're just concentrated amongst wealthy people, the rest of us can (and do) eat poo poo, everything is working as God intended!!! now stop complaining and embrace the void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

nomad2020 posted:

This and the need to "crush the labor market".

the fed crushing the labor market: haha gently caress yeah!!! yes!!

the fed crashing the banks: well this loving sucks. what the gently caress.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Rich people suffer no consequences and their money is safe as milk because of the Fed's money printer. Why wouldn't number go up?

technically everyones money is safe with them because they are now a nationalized bank

it will cease being safe the moment someone buys them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This is correct.

The fed printer is different from government spending.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This means that First Republic has been bought and sold four times by the US govt over 16 years due to insolvency due to terrible decisions, largely centered over mortgage derivatives

Lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

This is correct.

shut up nerd, it's all our tax dollars

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Shageletic posted:

This means that First Republic has been bought and sold four times by the US govt over 16 years due to insolvency due to terrible decisions, largely centered over mortgage derivatives

Lol

a very smart stable system

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

VideoKid posted:

Get draft kings to let me bet on the leopards and I’m down.

Ooooh we can give them racehorse names

Can'tBelieveThey'reEatingMyFace closing the distance to the hedge fund manager fast but OHHHHH it's FinallyReapingWhatI'veSown from behind the big rock!!!! It's all over folks!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

healthy

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1636417559879729163

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

what if we just continue letting all these banks do whatever they want without any consequences and just bail them out every time.

a very strong stable and smart system

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
so it seems the natural progression here is that the banks will all be bailed out, austerity will continue, and the middle class will disappear

at some point everyone becomes destitute, number soars

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

so it seems the natural progression here is that the banks will all be bailed out, austerity will continue, and the middle class will disappear

at some point everyone becomes destitute, number soars

thats the objective to completely destroy the remains of whatevers left of a "middle" class and crush any remaining power labor may have

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

shut up nerd, it's all our tax dollars

It’s not. The Fed makes money out of thin air. Our federal tax dollars don’t pay for anything.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

HallelujahLee posted:

thats the objective to completely destroy the remains of whatevers left of a "middle" class and crush any remaining power labor may have

I realize failsons of failsons etc. but they're more likely to get their heads on pikes as the precariat becomes militant.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

This is correct.

it is but the PPP, tax cuts, and ACA subsidies are definitely inflationary

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Casey Finnigan posted:

bro aren't you like an ER doctor? You guys don't get PTO?

No, it was really fun during covid too, let me tell you. ER contracts are pretty poo poo, it’s a holdover from when the docs were a private group but all that was bought out by private equity corps years ago and they just got away with paying an hourly wage without pto or sick time and it’s the industry standard so good luck finding a better deal. So it’s basically work a mix of days nights weekends and holidays without COL raises until you quit or die.

What’s that you say? I have no idea why ER doc burnout is so high.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1636425052848570372?t=awdUOQktVhF54BPGXU6-Tw&s=19

lol things seem to be escalating

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Paradoxish posted:

There was never any serious risk that SVB depositors wouldn't get back most of their money, or even all of it given enough time. A ton of this panic is entirely because the government rushed out to guarantee deposits with infinite money, making an already bad situation seem far, far worse. Now they need to walk this poo poo back because "the federal reserve has infinite money and all deposits are guaranteed" is a batshit insane statement.

Perhaps I am truly loving stupid, but this combined with the lessons learned from Lebanon's failing state status, I am now giving the older and more established forms of crypto some sober second thought.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol things seem to be escalating

At least it's interesting

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I asked ChatGPT where the S&P 500 would be in six months and it said 4200.

B U L L I S H

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

That's literally the law though? The FDIC's ability to guarantee anything past $250k requires a determination (i.e. a majority vote by The Fed) that a failure of the bank would constitute a systemic risk. You can think of it as another version of Too Big to Fail. What's changed is that the government policy now says "it's actually totally OK for the shareholders to lose everything", which wasn't the case in 2008 when they too were made whole.

that's all true, but recent events and fdic/fed policy changes have made it clear there's no point ever keeping more than $250k at a regional / "non-systemic" bank, explicitly encouraging oligopoly among the Big Banks, and bank runs against smaller players

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Any particular reason why First Republic is crashing?

Bad bets? Memes? Thiel needs money for more blood to bathe in?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

this has been well covered in Swiss financial press. No idea why JPMorgan kept floating the idea to Bloomberg

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
we ran madden to predict the super bowl winner. here's what it got right and wrong

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Shageletic posted:

Lol

one more bailout bro please just one more bailout we'll do better this time bro i swear

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Landlady update: The deadline for her to sign up for online dispute resolution has expired. She never signed up for the service that the judge strongly suggest sue sign up for. :allears:

You're definitely gonna win, but good luck collecting on the judgement. It's gonna be a long and painful process but as long as you don't need the money asap, just enjoy the process of slowly putting the screws on the crazy landlord. If you need the money asap... well, it's most likely not gonna happen so get ready for a long battle to collect.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Any particular reason why First Republic is crashing?

Bad bets? Memes? Thiel needs money for more blood to bathe in?

position of the stars

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
yellen secretly wearing her "I <3 bank death" tshirt at home

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Also to help folks feel even better about First Republic failing it's a rich people bank here in LA, they target Beverly Hills and the south bay. So the wealthy are squirming

Also probably why it will be bailed out

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

yeah that's why it's called a shotgun wedding you knobs

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sounds like its going well

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1636431674295693314

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

i am harry posted:

a propane tank from the hardware store costs $70 now

tactical decision, by the time we all realize how bad things are we'll be unable to create IRA-style mortar bombs out of propane tanks because no one can afford them

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Banking Secrecy is Swiss Culture cmon

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ posted:

it is but the PPP, tax cuts, and ACA subsidies are definitely inflationary

Yeah I thought about adding that, but was too lazy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pnumoman posted:

You're definitely gonna win, but good luck collecting on the judgement. It's gonna be a long and painful process but as long as you don't need the money asap, just enjoy the process of slowly putting the screws on the crazy landlord. If you need the money asap... well, it's most likely not gonna happen so get ready for a long battle to collect.

We fully plan on her refusing to pay up and for us to have to drag her rear end back to court. Making her miserable is its own reward.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
so this afternoon does the fed release their balance sheet numbers? and we find out how much the banks are borrowing from this new non bailout program

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

One First Republic depositor, Farmgirl Flowers of Oakland, Calif., explained in an email to customers why it had chosen to bank with them in the first place.

“At the time I set the account up, a woman of color was running the bank. And, in an industry where representation is so lacking, I wanted to make the choice to bank with an organization that was changing what leadership looked like,” the founder, Christina Stembel, wrote.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

HallelujahLee posted:

Didn't the middle class officially cease to exist on some specific date last year?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

We fully plan on her refusing to pay up and for us to have to drag her rear end back to court. Making her miserable is its own reward.

o7

this is my favorite doomsday econ subplot by a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

o7

this is my favorite doomsday econ subplot by a mile

More landlords should be sued. It’s very cathartic!