Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Evil Kit posted:

Flamethrower needs some kind of nerf for sure, but even I'm unsure how they could tap it down without hitting it. Lower the range potentially? It's def got a longer range than the staff, presumably because it has ammo as opposed to being infinite. Maybe nerf the ammo recovery, or tap the max ammo down a bit?

The other issue Jerkface mentioned is being able to melt carapace with it due to how Zealot charge interacts with reducing armor types. Maybe Fatshark will look at that and change it? Dunno how I'd feel about it being removed but I'd at least understand it.

The idea of someone shouting really loud making armor less effective is pretty funny though.

Lowering its clip size would be a decent way to go about it. Right now it can be swept side to size to wipe out multiple approaching hordes, or hold a giant mess of baddies at bay for a sustained period. Adding a period of reload vulnerability in the middle where the zealot could benefit from team support would give less of the impression that they're soloing the entire threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Magitek posted:

Lowering its clip size would be a decent way to go about it. Right now it can be swept side to size to wipe out multiple approaching hordes, or hold a giant mess of baddies at bay for a sustained period. Adding a period of reload vulnerability in the middle where the zealot could benefit from team support would give less of the impression that they're soloing the entire threat.

I'd be down with that. Honestly I've found the Quickflame blessing to be really helpful after the buff since the reload is still pretty hefty otherwise, it being genuinely useful for a DPS increase would be pretty decent balance imo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Magitek posted:

This could also be accomplished by having the flamer consumer ammo quicker - I've noticed it really ticks down slowly. Same outcome - less uptime on burning poo poo without messing with people inventories too much.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I hate the idea of limiting the magazine size; having flamer be the horde removal tool that can literally block a single direction from pox walkers is Good- I would increase reload time rather than limit magazine.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

New comm-link just dropped. Pretty light on content - the next patch will have new weapons including a more cleave-focused thunder hammer and a single-target force sword (catfish on the discord insisted there would be more than just those two). Plus new conditions, twists on existing ones, and some ripper gun changes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The ripper gun changes are just likely a massive nerf, whether deserved or not I do not know, as they're removing the currently bugged application of Can Opener to only apply on the melee.

I JUST crafted a sick ripper gun with can opener too :(

https://www.playdarktide.com/news/community-comm-link-week-11

quote:

Rejects,

Last week we saw the release of Patch #5 and Hotfix 1.0.36, which were focused primarily on quality-of-life changes, bug fixes, and a couple of small buffs for Psyker and Ogryn. Towards the end of March, we’ll release a small content drop containing some additional tools for you to help in the fight against the heretics of Tertium! - Here is a sneak peek of two of the weapons you will find included:

Ironhelm Mk IV Thunder Hammer -
These Thunder Hammers have a weapon special that gives players some cleave before triggering some extra damage when stopping.

Deimos Mk II Blaze Force Sword -
This Force Sword employs more of a thrusting attack pattern that is great against armoured, single-target enemies.

Furthermore we’ll be deploying a couple of new conditions (and some modified versions of already existing conditions), which you will be able to see on the Mission Board in the coming weeks.

Now onto some questions!

Material Pickup Prompt

We’ve seen the community feedback on the recent patch that added new notifications when picking up crafting resources. We'll be looking at implementing a toggle for this option in the interim so you can choose to opt out of the notifications.We're also reviewing the HUD in general with how it works and providing both feedback and information - so please let us know your thoughts on the current HUD and what you would like to see going forward!

Can Opener Blessing

Some players have been asking about a bug with the Can Opener Blessing on the Foe-Rend Ripper Guns - we will add a bug fix in the upcoming content drop so that the brittleness will only be applied on a stab attack.Alongside this bug fix, we’ll add a few buffs to the Foe-Rend Ripper Guns, including; doubling the stacks of brittleness per stab, increasing the stagger capabilities, increasing the damage and armour penetration per stab, and some changes to movement penalties. Detailed patch notes will go live shortly after the content drop releases!

I thought the march "content drop" would be a lot bigger, not even a new map? C'mon fatshark, do somethin! Atleast there will apparently be more than these 2 weapons

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 16, 2023

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'd keep the flamer's effectiveness against swarms the same but further limit its usefulness against chunkier foes - Its ability to hold an entire chokepoint is unparalleled, but you'll need support from your team once maniacs and ogryns start trudging through the flames with nary a flinch.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I already feel that the force sword is more single target and not as good against horde so,

"Deimos Mk II Blaze Force Sword -
This Force Sword employs more of a thrusting attack pattern that is great against armoured, single-target enemies."

I guess I'll have an interesting time comparing the two but I'm trying to imagine a sword even worse against mobs when I already find the current sword to be fine against single target chunky foes (special attack puts in *work*) and barely ok against mobs.

edit: Ogryn ripper gun I don't feel one way or the other about as a) I didn't have one with that and b) I like my heavy stubber goes brrrrrrtt

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

tangy yet delightful posted:

I already feel that the force sword is more single target and not as good against horde so,

"Deimos Mk II Blaze Force Sword -
This Force Sword employs more of a thrusting attack pattern that is great against armoured, single-target enemies."

I guess I'll have an interesting time comparing the two but I'm trying to imagine a sword even worse against mobs when I already find the current sword to be fine against single target chunky foes (special attack puts in *work*) and barely ok against mobs.

edit: Ogryn ripper gun I don't feel one way or the other about as a) I didn't have one with that and b) I like my heavy stubber goes brrrrrrtt

The force sword is my go to horde destroyer as a veteran. Hmm

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

celewign posted:

The force sword is my go to horde destroyer as a veteran. Hmm

As a veteran you don't get the force sword, you get the power sword.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It’s an easy mistake to make since they have similar names, but you can tell them apart because one is a veteran weapon and therefore the best melee weapon in the game for any class by miles, while the other is a psyker weapon and therefore worthless trash

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

New comm-link just dropped. Pretty light on content - the next patch will have new weapons including a more cleave-focused thunder hammer and a single-target force sword (catfish on the discord insisted there would be more than just those two). Plus new conditions, twists on existing ones, and some ripper gun changes.

Without new maps or missions, I think the patch is going to be disappointing no matter how many weapons, mission conditions, etc, they add. It'll have been nearly 4 months since the release of a new map (Throneside) and only slightly less since the release of a new mission (Commsplex).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The regular force sword is a generalist weapon right now. Its regular attacks have decent cleave to handle hordes and the special can handle single targets as does the heavy. I guess this new force sword would skew way more towards single target and maybe have a stat related to armor piercing or whatever. Then I presume they would release a third force sword that leans way more towards cleaving horizontal swings. It'd be nice if the special there was like an AOE psychic slash or something.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

One reason to have a more single-target sword is to reduce the chances of a random zombie eating your charged up Brain Melter swing

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I also consider the force sword kinda single target as is and would like one that maybe has wide swings on its heavy attacks. Or just one that lazily mulches side-to-side on left click like the elf's twin swords in VT2.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

megane posted:

It’s an easy mistake to make since they have similar names, but you can tell them apart because one is a veteran weapon and therefore the best melee weapon in the game for any class by miles, while the other is a psyker weapon and therefore worthless trash

The power sword is pretty great but it's literally the only thing keeping the Veteran relevant at all in melee in the higher difficulties.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yes, the Veteran Marksman, the class that is supposed to be focused on ranged damage and does more ranged damage than any 3 of the other classes combined, gets a weapon that makes them also better than every other class at melee, that is correct.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is the flame staff any good? I played with it in the sim and it felt like the flamer but less fun

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/82

Essential Mod

Players will now be holding their secondary / ranged weapons in the mission lobby instead of their melee weapons

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Can someone do a how-to post about mods and how much they'll steal my login info and get my steam banned? TIA.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is the flame staff any good? I played with it in the sim and it felt like the flamer but less fun

It's good if you have a highly rated one. I agree with the poster who said that Psyker staves are all lousy until you're a high enough level to get the full potential ones. Basically, staves (except maybe Voidstrike) are terrible until they suddenly become excellent

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Man I wish GeForce now supported mods, damage numbers/hp bars look so nice

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can someone do a how-to post about mods and how much they'll steal my login info and get my steam banned? TIA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/11clin8/mods_are_here_instruction_video_linked_link_to/

FatShark posted:

When using mods, there are a few key points that Fatshark wants players to consider. Players found using any mods falling within any of the below categories in a way that affects other unmodded players will be subject to a prompt warning and possible ban from the game service.

Using mods that directly affect unmodded players’ experience of the game and/or is used to grief other players.
Examples: Speed hacks, outright cheating in missions, etc.
Using mods that affect the stability/performance of the game service.
Using mods that devalue other players’ investments (time or monetary) in the game
Examples: Bypassing progression, penances or contracts, unlocking of premium cosmetics and currencies in the game service.
Toxic behaviors reported as an indirect result of using mods.
Mods will have access to the same authentication level as the regular game has which means that mods are perfectly capable of managing inventories, currencies and characters as they see fit, including but not limited to:

deleting characters
selling or buying items
spending premium currency
The use of mods is therefore to be done at players own risk and Fatshark will not be able to help with accounts losing gear, character, or other data as a result of using Mods.

Installation Instructions posted:

Game updates will automatically disable all mods. Re-run toggle_darktide_mods.bat to enable them again.

Installation:
1. Copy the Darktide Mod Loader files to your game directory and overwrite existing.
2. Run toggle_darktide_mods.bat at your game folder.
3. Copy the Darktide Mod Framework files to your "mods" directory (<game folder>/mods) and overwrite existing.
3. Install other mods by downloading them from
creation-showcase
or the Nexus (https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide), then adding them to <game folder>/mods/mod_load_order.txt with a text editor.

Disable mods:
* Disable individual mods by removing their name from your mods/mod_load_order.txt file.
* Run the toggle_darktide_mods.bat script at your game folder and choose to unpatch the bundle database to disable all mod loading entirely.

Uninstallation:
1. Run the toggle_darktide_mods.bat script at your game folder and choose to unpatch the bundle database.
2. Delete the mods and tools folders from your game directory.
3. Delete the mod_loader file from <game folder>/binaries.
4. Delete the 9ba626afa44a3aa3.patch_999 file from <game folder>/bundle.

Updating the mod loader:
1. Run the toggle_darktide_mods.bat script at your game folder and choose to unpatch the bundle database.
2. Copy the Darktide Mod Loader files to your game directory and overwrite existing (except for mod_load_order.txt, if you wish to preserve your mod list).
3. Run toggle_darktide_mods.bat at your game folder to re-enable mods.

Updating any other mod:
1. Delete the mod's directory from your mods folder.
2. Extract the updated mod to your mods folder. All settings will remain intact.

Troubleshooting:
* Make sure your game folder, mods folder, and mod_load_order.txt look like the images on this page: https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/19
* Make sure your mods have their dependencies listed above them in the load order.
* Remove all mods from the load order (or add '--' before each line).
* If all else fails, re-verify your game files and start the mod installation from the beginning.

Creating mods:
1. Download the latest Darktide Mod Builder release: https://github.com/Darktide-Mod-Framework/Darktide-Mod-Builder/releases.
2. Add the unzipped folder to your environment path: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm.
3. Run create_mod.bat or dmb create <mod name> in the mods folder. This generates a mod folder with the same name.
4. Add the new mod name to your mod_load_order.txt.
5. Reload mods or restart the game. (edited)

All the mods are written in LUA and you can very easily review what they are doing. I recommend downloading them off nexusmods and checking the posts under a mod if you're not sure about it. If its malicious someone will have said something.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

megane posted:

Yes, the Veteran Marksman, the class that is supposed to be focused on ranged damage and does more ranged damage than any 3 of the other classes combined, gets a weapon that makes them also better than every other class at melee, that is correct.

They're not good at melee even with the power sword though? Like, they're passable at best. Since melee bleed through damage is percentage-based instead of absolute value-based it means even with the Vet's base 200 toughness you're going to get whittled down in melee and stunned out of swings. The Vet also takes up to double damage when sprinting or dodging, meaning you're going to be taking way more incidental damage than any other class. The power sword can kill crowds and some elites and specials really well...for 2-3 swings, then you need to back up and waste 2 seconds to charge up again and prepare a heavy swing, and you best hope you didn't run into a wall while dodging backwards. Unless you're lucky enough to get Power Cycler, and even then you're running into the problem of "You're a loving Vet why are you in melee and not shooting the shooters or specials?"

People meme about it but the dedicated melee classes are still better than Veteran at melee. Zealot has way more options to handle both large hordes and specials, and a ton of feats that give them a lot of flexibility in melee. Being able to not be staggered or stunned by attacks when charging up a heavy swing is a loving godsend. I'm speaking from experience of doing dozens of Heresy and Damnation runs as both Veteran, Zealot, and Psyker.

If Veteran didn't have the power sword, I'd argue they'd be an outright liability in melee and tip toward being actually quite bad as a class.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

skaianDestiny posted:

They're not good at melee even with the power sword though? Like, they're passable at best. Since melee bleed through damage is percentage-based instead of absolute value-based it means even with the Vet's base 200 toughness you're going to get whittled down in melee and stunned out of swings. The Vet also takes up to double damage when sprinting or dodging, meaning you're going to be taking way more incidental damage than any other class. The power sword can kill crowds and some elites and specials really well...for 2-3 swings, then you need to back up and waste 2 seconds to charge up again and prepare a heavy swing, and you best hope you didn't run into a wall while dodging backwards. Unless you're lucky enough to get Power Cycler, and even then you're running into the problem of "You're a loving Vet why are you in melee and not shooting the shooters or specials?"

People meme about it but the dedicated melee classes are still better than Veteran at melee. Zealot has way more options to handle both large hordes and specials, and a ton of feats that give them a lot of flexibility in melee. Being able to not be staggered or stunned by attacks when charging up a heavy swing is a loving godsend. I'm speaking from experience of doing dozens of Heresy and Damnation runs as both Veteran, Zealot, and Psyker.

If Veteran didn't have the power sword, I'd argue they'd be an outright liability in melee and tip toward being actually quite bad as a class.

I can pretty much second all of this. Having played a *lot* of Zealot now (to get the goggles) and finally getting back to Vet, the Power Sword is 100% the only reason Vet isn't a total liability in melee that needs to be babysat, like the Psyker actually kind of needs to be. You have no emergency tools to get toughness back (that don't force you to take your ranged weapon out), your stamina regen is absolutely garbage and you don't have as much max stamina. You can't hold your ground like a Zealot or Ogryn can either.

I still think Vet without a Power Sword is valuable, just that they're a lot more vulnerable as a whole. Even with one the amount of times I've seen one get overwhelmed and down by mixed hordes or poxwalkers is not small.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Its a little memey due to the powersword being so good, but the vet is not anywhere close to the best melee class they just have access to the strongest melee weapon. The vet has amongst the worst stamina, dodge, push, stamina regen, and toughness regen compared to the other classes. You also have zero capability once in melee to do anything other than fight for your life. Zealot has ult, feats, passive and a large AOE stun grenade that allows them to handle anything in melee. Ogryn has damage reduction, incredible CC, just as good horde clearing as a powersword if you just get a cleaver with slaughterer, and toughness gain if you grab momentum, and an ULT that CC's everything and helps you escape danger. Psyker while overall a weaker class that STILL needs buffs, can dodge infinitely, has a secondary form of toughness when blocking, and an ult that allows you to get out of a sticky scenario.

The second a vet loses control of a horde in melee he's done. A vet is the best when you can't be challenged and can cleave your way through with PS activations and your wide heavy swings. You get *1* push every 5 seconds, so you have to make it count. If you get surrounded you're probably going to go down instantly because of the staggered melee attacks breaking your guard then eating through your health.

Key to vet safety is to keep the horde in an arc infront of you and make sure your back is clear and hack + dodge. All the PS does is allow the vet to help out in melee vs being actually worthless.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Jerkface posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/82

Essential Mod

Players will now be holding their secondary / ranged weapons in the mission lobby instead of their melee weapons

Fixes like these are so trivial that unpaid volunteers can see the need, develop a fix, and implement it, while Fatshark cannot. Wild.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

big cummers ONLY posted:

Fixes like these are so trivial that unpaid volunteers can see the need, develop a fix, and implement it, while Fatshark cannot. Wild.

The amount of simple LUA scripting that has completely fixed this game is absurd. Every day I see a mod thats like "Improved quality of life for this game by 100%"

Someone even made a mod that causes vets focused fire to highlight those scab assault guys that triple shoot you which are currently not highlighted "working as intended" for some reason. Their fix even causes them to extend focus fire if you have counterfire feat selected!! Some rando!!

Meanwhile fatshark is like "Eh these guys who spend the entire game burst firing lasguns into your rear end are not really riflemen so we don't want to highlight them"

OFC do not download that mod/it might have been taken down already because thats cheating but its funny someone figured out how to fix it in 1 week

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think honestly it's a real shame that Vets are so weak in melee they have to lean on the power sword, it's stupid to have a class who technically has access to a bunch of weapons but are only ever going to choose one.

The way to address that is to nerf the power sword, yes, but also remove the things that require its use; remove the hidden penalties for vets running, for instance, or give them stamina regen in line with other classes, or give them a feat or two that enhances their utility in melee. Even Zealots gets a ranged feat (though granted it's only when you're super close).

The main issue I have with the power sword is that it doesn't really have a niche. It just does chopping and killing really well. Yeah you have to hit Alt to do it, but that's true of several weapons. To be clear I think it's fine, it's not going to break the game in half, and as others pointed out even a vet with the power sword, which is arguably the best weapon in the game, is primarily trying to get out of melee most of the time. But it is just a shame that vets feel compelled to take it, and that's a balance issue. If 80% of players are defaulting to the same weapon, that should be addressed because it murders variety.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

if the zealot or Ogryn had access to the power sword, it would be beyond absurd. As it is the sword just means vets don’t just instantly die in melee (the way psykers do)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jerkface posted:

which are currently not highlighted

its broken though so they do show up sometimes, but not always and more relevant not *all* of them so I keep thinking "oh theres a shotty better watch it" but then there are actually 5.

Mendrian posted:

I think honestly it's a real shame that Vets are so weak in melee they have to lean on the power sword, it's stupid to have a class who technically has access to a bunch of weapons but are only ever going to choose one.

The way to address that is to nerf the power sword, yes, but also remove the things that require its use; remove the hidden penalties for vets running, for instance, or give them stamina regen in line with other classes, or give them a feat or two that enhances their utility in melee. Even Zealots gets a ranged feat (though granted it's only when you're super close).

The main issue I have with the power sword is that it doesn't really have a niche. It just does chopping and killing really well. Yeah you have to hit Alt to do it, but that's true of several weapons. To be clear I think it's fine, it's not going to break the game in half, and as others pointed out even a vet with the power sword, which is arguably the best weapon in the game, is primarily trying to get out of melee most of the time. But it is just a shame that vets feel compelled to take it, and that's a balance issue. If 80% of players are defaulting to the same weapon, that should be addressed because it murders variety.

yeah its true for a lot of weapons though which still are maybe fun to use but not necessarily the goto weapon for 5. Many still need a good balance pass to become viable, but on Vet especially I also think they're just too similar in design. But f.e. the energy/railgun whatever its called (seriously the naming in Darktide just makes my brain blank out on everything, at least theres a mod for missions now lol) is such a great special weapon, amazing in other Warhammer videogames but here it's just meh.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

if the zealot or Ogryn had access to the power sword, it would be beyond absurd. As it is the sword just means vets don’t just instantly die in melee (the way psykers do)

Give Ogryns A Sword

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

It's a strong staff and easy to tryout as rolling a decent one is pretty easy. Shoot for maxed burn and cloud, decent Warp resist. Quell is nice to have and damage is the dump stat. Look for a Warp Nexus Blessing and roll a perk to increased crit chance as crits will trigger soul blaze stacks.

Talents:
- Take your pick - Depends on which way you feel better about maintaining toughness, though I prefer Quietitude as I like boosting the 'F' ability to get out of jail.
- Inner Tranquility - Once you get stacked lets you burn and burst more often.
- Psychic Communion or Psykinetic Aura - Depends on how comfortable you are with maintaining stacks. With Psychic Communion you basically never have to worry about it, but Psykinetic is more powerful if you are good about maintain charges.
- Kinetic Deflection - I've never found Kinetic Shield worth it and Mind in Motion starts feeling like a crutch as you get used to dodging/sliding while quelling in combat.
- Warp Battery - Improves Inner Tranquility, improves damage output of staff/burst, improves Ascending Blaze.
- Ascending Blaze - Stacks well with flame staff. Basically use it when you start to feel overwhelmed by a horde and you'll likely have killed them all and gained back all your stacks.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan. Zealot with a flamer does a better job. Even with out a Flamer, BM Antax or Heavy Sword Zealot can control and clear hordes without blinding everyone. The Ogryn with Ripper/Stubber/Mk3 Butcher also can control and clear hordes without blinding everyone. Seriously I hate how blinding it is. I prefer how the other staffs bring something unique to the table. Voidstrike is a railgun, Trauma can blow up hordes and knock down tougher stuff for teammates to deal with, Surge staff stuns everything and does large damage to armor.

haldolium posted:

its broken though so they do show up sometimes, but not always and more relevant not *all* of them so I keep thinking "oh theres a shotty better watch it" but then there are actually 5.

That's a separate thing. Scab Stalkers straight up are not highlighted by Counterfire and Fatshark says it's by design as they're a short range combact character.... Nevermind that they're a shooting enemy or the fact that Dreg Stalkers are highlighted. You'll see it in Meat Grinder.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

haldolium posted:

yeah its true for a lot of weapons though which still are maybe fun to use but not necessarily the goto weapon for 5. Many still need a good balance pass to become viable, but on Vet especially I also think they're just too similar in design. But f.e. the energy/railgun whatever its called (seriously the naming in Darktide just makes my brain blank out on everything, at least theres a mod for missions now lol) is such a great special weapon, amazing in other Warhammer videogames but here it's just meh.

I think that last part might be a you thing because the Plasma Gun is a fuckin' iconic weapon of 40k lol. You don't even need to read the rest of its name to look at it and know you're calling it a Plasma Gun.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Give Ogryns A Sword

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Vets do have 4 replenishable nades that do not do friendly damage. Last time I checked, they do a ton of stagger damage.

Now, I am not arguing these counter ALL the veteran’s weaknesses in melee, But just pointing out that they in fact do have a secondary, replenishing source of reliably staggering everything sans bosses.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Valtonen posted:

Vets do have 4 replenishable nades that do not do friendly damage. Last time I checked, they do a ton of stagger damage.

Now, I am not arguing these counter ALL the veteran’s weaknesses in melee, But just pointing out that they in fact do have a secondary, replenishing source of reliably staggering everything sans bosses.

if you pull out a grenade in the middle of a horde you're going to die. Of course if you're moving in to a horde or create enough space yea the grenades are dope. Like the key thing is that as a vet you don't want to get stuck in the actual melee meat grinder, because you want to be able to do heavy powersword swings with it fully activated. you want to be able to grenade for your teammates to buy space. Ogryn and Zealot both have ways to create their own space and the vet does not, they have dogshit tools for that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

thanks for this

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Evil Kit posted:

I think that last part might be a you thing because the Plasma Gun is a fuckin' iconic weapon of 40k lol. You don't even need to read the rest of its name to look at it and know you're calling it a Plasma Gun.

yeah it is absolutely, I don't remember names very well (point in case) and DT makes it even harder. However yes, as you said, its iconic but in DT it is not. There is no real complementation and synergy, you either go for fast stuff deleting shooters and certain armor/big guys or Bolter (iconic too I guess) which is just fast enough and SO powerful. I see more people using the helbore lasgun even as I encouter vets with plasma. Too many downsides

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
All you people calling for the nerfs to the flamethrower are dangerously close to heresy. :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Jerkface posted:

if you pull out a grenade in the middle of a horde you're going to die. Of course if you're moving in to a horde or create enough space yea the grenades are dope. Like the key thing is that as a vet you don't want to get stuck in the actual melee meat grinder, because you want to be able to do heavy powersword swings with it fully activated. you want to be able to grenade for your teammates to buy space. Ogryn and Zealot both have ways to create their own space and the vet does not, they have dogshit tools for that.

Agree; I just wanted to mention this since the nades for zealot ( which are ofc better for CC But non-replenishing) need similar prep time yet they are in the argument, so omitting them felt dishonest.