Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

C-Euro posted:

This. I liked it a lot but it is a little surreal in spots. Relatively short commitment too, only two 10-episode seasons.

yeah the first season especially is fantastic, highly recommend, it's both incredible prestige TV and also seems totally unbound by most of the conventions we normally think of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Justin always suffers in the back half of a TAZ campaign because he gets bored

But he is fuckin thriving as a DM getting to just play a few new characters every week.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This week on TAZ: everybody makes bad choices, especially the DM

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sockser posted:

Justin always suffers in the back half of a TAZ campaign because he gets bored

But he is fuckin thriving as a DM getting to just play a few new characters every week.

He’s not quite there yet, but he’s extremely close to being my favorite of all of them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Here’s a little detail I like from the latest episode: When they are talking about the knockoff heroes, the guy at Bumbershoot’s offhandedly mentions how “everybody learned about these guys a while back, haven’t heard much since then.” In other words, Steeplechase takes place in the same multiverse as Balance and everybody learned the story of Balance on The Day of Story and Song. However, Steeplechase also takes place in the future, so that happened like 200 years ago, and what we see in see in Steeplechase is the result of a couple century’s worth of mutation and probably corporate meddling on the part of Dentonic to try to bring in tourists. Hence the talking dog.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That makes sense.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Alternately:
The talking dog is a bastardization of Klarg

Feb 2, 2005
I'm taking a road trip this weekend--havent listened to MBMBAM in about 4 years or so and I'd like a taste of the old time goofs.

Anyone have best ep recommendations since 2019 or so?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Quote posted:

I'm taking a road trip this weekend--havent listened to MBMBAM in about 4 years or so and I'd like a taste of the old time goofs.

Anyone have best ep recommendations since 2019 or so?

All of the face 2 face eps. Skip right to audience questions.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you haven’t already, listen to the The McElroy Brothers Will Be In Trolls World Tour side podcast.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Till Death Do Us Blart. All of it.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 16, 2023

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I still haven't listened to the 2016 episode of deathblart because every episode of every podcast that came out in the second half of november 2016 was just a huge bummer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
the complete Friendly Fire, listen to all 157 eps from the beginning with the foreknowledge of how the show ends

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
How does the show end?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

John gets canceled in the dumbest way and they shutter the podcast

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I miss friendly fire.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Friendly Fire had a good niche of war films locked down, but had a real issue of the actual funny video production Trek nerds constantly being talked down to by a boomer who thought he knew everything about anything just because the two millennials knew even less about history than him.

That vibe got old real quick. I would rather just listen to the nerds watch movies on their own— oh you know why their podcast is popular already.

If you want a continuation of the genre of podcast that covers war films I think the closest podcast is ActionBoyz, now on their 300th+ episode of 70/80/90s films somehow.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 16, 2023

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Ah who could forget the bean dad saga

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jeeves posted:

Friendly Fire had a good niche of war films locked down, but had a real issue of the actual funny video production Trek nerds constantly being talked down to by a boomer who thought he knew everything about anything just because the two millennials knew even less about history than him.

That vibe got old real quick. I would rather just listen to the nerds watch movies on their own— oh you know why their podcast is popular already.

TBQH I mostly stopped listening to all three of them once Adam and Ben, along with Roderick who’d been doing it for a while, started really doing the requisite 2020-era MaxFun host “the only difference between a Bernie Bro and a Liz Warren supporter is toxic misogyny” posting in earnest

The Bean Daddening was mostly a formality at that point

According to a recent Adam Ragusea podcast ep Roderick “was known to be kind of a jerk” to work with behind the scenes, and the rest of the team were already kind of ready to end the show when the Twitter poo poo happened

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The end of today's TAZ. Oh my god.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm14UrNBLtY

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I miss all of the Griffin & Nick content.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jeeves posted:

If you want a continuation of the genre of podcast that covers war films I think the closest podcast is ActionBoyz, now on their 300th+ episode of 70/80/90s films somehow.

Oh wait was it Roderick and the Greatest Generation guys? I've avoided them like the plague because every single one of their ads make it sound like they're utterly ashamed of the podcast they do.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

General Dog posted:

I miss all of the Griffin & Nick content.
same, though I wonder now how much of that is because it ended abruptly before it was too worn out

I can always imagine the comedy world that could-have-been, as compared to the endless descent into fast food press releases and nonexistant daniel day lewis impressions that we have

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Hope Nick grew up a little. His and Griffin's content was very good. And Cool Games Inc had a bangin' intro song iirc. Rip.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

Oh wait was it Roderick and the Greatest Generation guys? I've avoided them like the plague because every single one of their ads make it sound like they're utterly ashamed of the podcast they do.

I used to listen to Friendly Fire and I just started listening to Greatest Generation a few months ago. Them being embarrassed about the podcast is a bit, and also it's a feature, not a bug. It's a way to signal that they like the show they're reviewing but they're not going to just gush over every episode fanboy-style.

Greatest Gen is good; if you watched Star Trek TNG you should definitely check out an episode or two!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

External Organs posted:

Hope Nick grew up a little. His and Griffin's content was very good. And Cool Games Inc had a bangin' intro song iirc. Rip.
The underage girls he pressured for nudes certainly had to "grow up a little" early.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

timp posted:

I used to listen to Friendly Fire and I just started listening to Greatest Generation a few months ago. Them being embarrassed about the podcast is a bit, and also it's a feature, not a bug. It's a way to signal that they like the show they're reviewing but they're not going to just gush over every episode fanboy-style.

Greatest Gen is good; if you watched Star Trek TNG you should definitely check out an episode or two!

:yeah: Greatest Gen is must-listen if you like both Trek and podcasts. It's stayed great even after completing TNG and DS9 and delving into VOY. I hope they keep it going with ENT despite it being the weakest of them.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I feel like I Griffin wanted to continue CoolGames Inc he could've gone with Pat Gil. He's got his own absurdist humor that could've meshed well with the show. That said, I get why Grif maybe didn't want to keep it going.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Greatest Gen good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqrZfqADQg0

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

External Organs posted:

He hasn't grown up at all, from personal experience

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

grittyreboot posted:

I feel like I Griffin wanted to continue CoolGames Inc he could've gone with Pat Gil. He's got his own absurdist humor that could've meshed well with the show. That said, I get why Grif maybe didn't want to keep it going.

Yeah and I could see Griffin not attempting that out of some some loyalty to Nick as well, which is fine.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

He hasn't grown up at all, from personal experience

Gross.

Stroop There It Is posted:

The underage girls he pressured for nudes certainly had to "grow up a little" early.

drat, I really am not remembering this poo poo very well! Extremely gross.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Greatest Gen is good as long as you don't really listen to any of their secondary "New Star Trek" podcast about the new series over the past 5 years.

They've made Trek their day time jobs and incomes, so they can never fully call out how loving absolute dogshit the new Trek generally is. They bend over backwards to constantly say good things about it so just be ware that their opinions of the show may not really... match reality.

But yes, their TNG-DS9-Voyager content has been great, especially the TNG episodes since they all knew those like the back of their hand.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

jeeves posted:

But yes, their TNG-DS9-Voyager content has been great, especially the TNG episodes since they all knew those like the back of their hand.

Except for the ones they (often times rightfully) have absolutely no memory of ever watching. Those usually make for fun reviews

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
TGG has forever poisoned my brain with their in-jokes replacing Star Trek terminology.

Other Star Trek friends get annoyed when I refer to things as "space buttholes" or "forehead loaf"

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Was genuinely confused as to why Brian didn’t go over with Karen to help that other guy.

The power of cinema.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Thanks for posting this. Now that I know they hate Lwaxana Troi I can feel safe in the assumption that nothing they say or think is any good at all and I will never have to listen to thier terrible podcast

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Some serious podcast judgements getting thrown around here in the mbmbam thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Caught up with NADDPOD so I'm slowly working my way through Steeplechase TAZ when I have to drive somewhere

Man what an improvement, just going into the third (I think? been a minute since i listened to it) arc in gutter city and it's been a fun listen so far