Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Warbird posted:

Well how I’m the hell does it rain? Don’t you hold out on us.

This just makes me remember my favorite commercial of all time.

https://youtu.be/naBSb5RStw8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I can't imagine living somewhere without a cellar at minimum. We had to run outside and open it like wizard of oz but it kept us safe. Except for one tornado at night which destroyed our barn and silo, missed the house by 50 feet and we were simply lucky

A cruel irony is that the soil in a lot of Oklahoma is very, very clay-heavy and it’s a lot more expensive to build subterranean basements so very few homes have them.

After the May 3rd ‘naders that Stanley mentioned came through, though, a lot of people started putting in small, exterior tornado shelters, or putting them in their garage.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I can't imagine living somewhere without a cellar at minimum. We had to run outside and open it like wizard of oz but it kept us safe. Except for one tornado at night which destroyed our barn and silo, missed the house by 50 feet and we were simply lucky

Weatherpeople are cool because if they're right now and then they go from saving you time and effort (big snow coming, be ready) to straight up saving your life. And almost no one is gonna accuse them of crying wolf because the risks of big storms are so high

Where I live is incredibly flat and generally marshy. You'd hit water in no time if you tried to dig a basement or cellar. I don't know of anybody in my section who has one.

My part of the state is lucky for tornados, but 30 minutes to the south did have 9 killed in an EF3 in 2017. My old hometown had 2 of those, only the second fatal tornado in their history.

Speaking of past weather stuff, this week was the 30th anniversary of the March superstorm. No snow here, but that was a miserable weekend.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The football and bbq in NC is just goddamn awful, but the weather isn’t trying to murder you (Eastern NC and hurricanes aside) and we’re also getting a Microcenter. Charlotte is a land of contrasts.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Warbird posted:

The football and bbq in NC is just goddamn awful, but the weather isn’t trying to murder you (Eastern NC and hurricanes aside) and we’re also getting a Microcenter. Charlotte is a land of contrasts.

The gently caress you say?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The gently caress you say?

Mustard based bbq sauce is gross.

So is white bbq sauce

And vinegar heavy sauces

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

E: wrong thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Good barbecue doesn’t really need sauce at all

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

dirty shrimp money posted:

Football related - The Big 12 got themselves their own NFL Combine in the form of an all-schools pro day. The Big Ten and SEC will get one inevitably.

https://twitter.com/Big12Conference/status/1636011887421800450

The NFL is literally Tom Sawyering their way into getting colleges to foot the bill for the Combine. You gotta admire the hustle

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Nystral posted:

So is white bbq sauce

And vinegar heavy sauces

Mustard is some south Carolina nonsense and that mayo abomination is Alabama.

How dare you besnirch Hickory though. Pistols at dawn

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I was as repulsed as anyone by "white sauce" when I first learned of it, but at least it's properly confined just to use on chicken or turkey.

If only North Carolina had that type of restraint when it came to vinegar.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nystral posted:

So is white bbq sauce

And vinegar heavy sauces

White’s decent on chicken if you’re so inclined. You’re going to be fairly hard pressed to find any though at most joints.

But also:

General Dog posted:

Good barbecue doesn’t really need sauce at all

The “joint” is kind of the problem though, there aren’t any around here. I can think of 1 in 45 minutes of me and the meat is just wholly unremarkable and not worth the cash only business and weird hours. This said there is a hot chicken place way out the middle of nowhere that is just goddamned amazing so it’s not a total wash.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I eat what I want to and do not care what anyone else thinks

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Western North Carolina is more tomato based. Eastern is vinegar. I quite enjoy a blend of the two.

Goddamn it's the off-season isn't it.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Why don't we talk about our favorite hot sauces for chicken for a change?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Anything from Big Shot Bob's tbh

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Komet posted:

Honestly Chalula or Nandos Peri Peri is where I go for every day spice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

*checks watch* yep, BBQ chat is here right on time.

God I should go get barbecue one of these days, it’s been far too long. Yakiniku is good but not the same.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Komet posted:

franks xtra hot

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Fifty Three posted:

Anything from Big Shot Bob's tbh

magic man and the roof is on fire ftw

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lanard Fournette

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Komet posted:

Hickory bbq sauce :colbert:

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Nystral posted:

So is white bbq sauce

And vinegar heavy sauces

I liked white sauce when I first tried it, but then the cook called it "Alabama White Sauce" and I immediately loathed it.

Mustard and Vinegar are fine, I just like my 'que with salt, pepper and heavy smoke.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

White sauce is for poultry. Mustard and Vinegar base are awesome when they’re done well.

I say this every year but honestly good pulled pork with a good bark and apple smoke, hot sauce and good slaw or pickles is the loving best.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

franks xtra hot

Yup

Cholula is a great hot sauce but it’s more for spicing up something where the heat isn’t the primary thing, like a soup or eggs. If you’re wanting hot chicken Frank’s is where it’s at.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sean Brock opened a little taco place years back in Charleston and doused his appetizer wings in Valentina and it really really works. They were smoked with a bit of char and then tossed in it. Amazing stuff.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I make a Sriracha honey sauce for tailgates. It's especially good on wings.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

We need to talk about why in The Year Of Our Lord 2023 there is not a hot chicken place near me

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

We need to talk about why in The Year Of Our Lord 2023 there is not a hot chicken place near me

Man I need to get up to Asheville and burn myself out from both ends with a steady diet of Rocky’s.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Oklahoma has gotten several Nashbird locations in the past few years. No idea how they rate overall in terms of hot chicken but their chicken is pretty drat hot (and their biscuits are terrific)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Komet posted:

los calientes verde that routinely shows up on Hot Ones is incredible for grilled chicken

as a tennessean my opinion on bbq is i like all manner of sauces, what i consider a barbecue crime is when the pulled pork is swimming in sauce. it should be tender and juicy enough to only need a topping of sauce, places that sauce it to the level of chili or spaghetti offend me. also i prefer spicy/vinegar-y sauce* to sweet.

*my family recipe for bbq sauce that my great grandmother got off a friend at church is a small bottle of ketchup, white vinegar, red pepper, black pepper, dash of tumeric, boiled and chilled

specifically:
5 teasp black pepper
5 teasp red pepper
1/4 teasp tumeric
1 12oz bottle ketchup
1 qt vinegar
1 table spoon sugar

put dry stuff in enough cooking oil to paste, then add the rest and boil for 10 minutes.

that poo poo boils over real easy too

e: i hosed up, it's red pepper, not white

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 17, 2023

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Sean Brock opened a little taco place years back in Charleston and doused his appetizer wings in Valentina and it really really works. They were smoked with a bit of char and then tossed in it. Amazing stuff.

I am not a big “lets buy a ton of cookbooks” guy but his cookbook South is amazing.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The thought occurred that Virginia winning the hoops natty in 2019 was like if James Coley's Georgia Bulldogs had done it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D.N. Nation posted:

The thought occurred that Virginia winning the hoops natty in 2019 was like if James Coley's Georgia Bulldogs had done it.

We can all take joy in them losing so we don't have to watch them anymore but Virginia's system as ugly as it is kinda works most of the time?

And is hilarious when they lose in the first round, which they have made a habit of.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

Honestly Chalula or Nandos Peri Peri is where I go for every day spice.

I tried Nandos for the first time when I was in DC last year. drat they make some good chicken. The wife fell in love with them. Use that sauce as a marinade the same way you would a wet jerk seasoning and cook over a charcoal grill, and it's pretty close to the real thing.

Supposedly there's two Nandos opening in Houston this year, so she's looking forward to that.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

We can all take joy in them losing so we don't have to watch them anymore but Virginia's system as ugly as it is kinda works most of the time?

And is hilarious when they lose in the first round, which they have made a habit of.

Reported for trolling, please keep my misery contained to one thread

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The closest Nando's to my house did not survive covid and now I'm equidistant between two that are too far to get delivery from.

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Man I need to get up to Asheville and burn myself out from both ends with a steady diet of Rocky’s.

Hell yeah, Rocky's is always worth a stop when passing through.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

2019 UGA went 12-2 winning every game 20-13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i know this is the football thread but

lol spoilermakers in the most hosed up way