Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:hmmyes:

Every big company I've worked for and most I've heard of have a required breakdown for reviews that something like 15% of people are exceeding expectations, 65% are meeting expectations, and 20% are underperforming. Managers must make their reviews fit that breakdown, regardless of team size and skill.

At my last company those in the underperforming bucket were not given a merit raise and only received like 30% of their potential bonus. Real good tool to motivate people buckle down and update the old resume.

Our county gov has standardized review forms and a lot of the categories are yes/no types of questions (punctuality, safety, poo poo like that) but still scored 1-4. They always give 3 on those categories even if you fulfill the requirements completely.

I pressed them on why they artificially lower our score and everyone just points in ten other directions.

The entire system sucks because employees are never really in control of their performance scores.

E: I also remember one time I had my direct supervisor quit and the second in command took on the work, then decided she wasn’t qualified to review us on certain categories but didn’t delete the denominator from the score (she just rated those categories zeroes lololol) so everyone had a sub-1 on our shift until we explained basic math to her :suicide: then STILL had to go to HR for them to correct the forms. loving idiots.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Joey Freshwater posted:

My game doesn’t start until 940 but I bet it doesn’t actually start until after 10 and it’s DUMB because we’re probably gonna lose anyway but yeah I’m gonna stay up and watch it

NC State serendipitously wound up in Denver so I took tomorrow off to go to the game. They’re probably getting run out of the gym by Creighton but I’ve never been to a tourney game before so it should still be fun. I also get to cheer for Baylor to get dismantled by Santa Barbara right before (this will not happen because good things always seem to happen to bad people)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Go Santa Barbara, always somehow making it yet never going anywhere!!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Pff, March Madness is nothing. The NIT is where all the cool kids hang out.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Pff, March Madness is nothing. The NIT is where all the cool kids hang out.

It is extremely funny to me that the teams that were whining about snubs got bounced out in the first round of the NIT. The enemies of Rutgers athletics strike again!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Freaquency posted:

It is extremely funny to me that the teams that were whining about snubs got bounced out in the first round of the NIT. The enemies of Rutgers athletics strike again!

Nah the funnier one is UNC pouting and taking their ball and going home

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

That is also extremely funny! gently caress a tarheel

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is it common for content filtering for school/corporate networks to block Bible/church websites? They just started getting blocked on my work network a couple of weeks ago, like almost universally. It's not like I'm trying to stream Westboro Baptist services or something; these are just pretty prominent Bible-Reading sites/apps.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

General Dog posted:

Is it common for content filtering for school/corporate networks to block Bible/church websites? They just started getting blocked on my work network a couple of weeks ago, like almost universally. It's not like I'm trying to stream Westboro Baptist services or something; these are just pretty prominent Bible-Reading sites/apps.

It just depends. Firewalls come with a bunch of default settings that don't make much sense to me. Ours has a category just called "Abortion" which was blocked by default. It also has one called "Global Religion" which is allowed by default. Then there is another one called "Alternative Beliefs" which is where you'd find stuff like cults websites.

Maybe your IT staff are raging atheists, or maybe they were told to block personal stuff by management.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Knowing my company, somebody probably saw "global religion" and thought they were specifically blocking Islam, or :spooky:Secular Humanism:spooky:.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hate to say it and jinx it, but 5 episodes in seems safe. Picard season 3 is real good.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

swickles posted:

I hate to say it and jinx it, but 5 episodes in seems safe. Picard season 3 is real good.

Do I need to watch S2 or can I skip it?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Do I need to watch S2 or can I skip it?

You can skip it. All the characters new to the Picard series save one are written out by end of 2nd season. The only thing you gain by watching the first two seasons is learning how Seven and Picard know each other, why there are a few references to Picard being Positronic, and who Rafi is. Those first two can be instantly hand waved and the last one can be done by a minute or two of reading wiki. You don't need, but are advantaged if you have a working knowledge of DS9. So really the only requirement is to know who these characters are from TNG. You can jump right in.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Watching some March Madness streams while working, and I just crafted a legendary-tier sandwich with slightly toasted fresh sourdough from a local LA bakery (Porto's), Karam's garlic sauce, muenster cheese/sliced smoked turkey/red onions, shredded lettuce, oil & vinegar, and a Mezetta hot chili pepper. So good I might need to make another.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Porto's is the good good

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Joey Freshwater posted:

UNC didn't get into the NCAA tournament?!

swickles posted:

I have been consuming Picard by watching five minute clips on youtube and that seems to be a good way for me. Season 3 seems to be something I want to actually watch a full episode of.

They did the Quinn Indianapolis scene from Jaws was cool

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

march madness

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1636439754324492314?s=20

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Owns so hard

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That poor guy who threw that prayer

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The worst (sports) time of the year is here :gonk:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Its Rinaldo posted:

gently caress off

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Its Rinaldo posted:

NWSL season kicks off this month!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I usually don't care about March Madness but 14th seed is probably the best my ol' college has done in decades so HELL YEAH LET"S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ehud posted:

It just depends. Firewalls come with a bunch of default settings that don't make much sense to me. Ours has a category just called "Abortion" which was blocked by default. It also has one called "Global Religion" which is allowed by default. Then there is another one called "Alternative Beliefs" which is where you'd find stuff like cults websites.

Maybe your IT staff are raging atheists, or maybe they were told to block personal stuff by management.

Why would your work block abortion websites? Do they want to pay maternity/paternity leave, and then higher insurance premiums?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

Why would your work block abortion websites? Do they want to pay maternity/paternity leave, and then higher insurance premiums?

Trying to be apolitical by being political (they'd be being political in the other direction otherwise). But you get to pretend I assume.

Either block nothing which isn't going to happen or block everything.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Fair and Balanced Firewalls.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Neil Armbong posted:

that's fair and context i should've included instead of speaking so definitively. i've been fortunate to not have dealt with that and also not dealing with explicit performance curves/buckets as I've worked exclusively in startups for my career.

Trust me I’ll never judge someone for not automatically realizing just how trash big companies are. My dream was to be an in-house lawyer for a bit company and I had that dream realized when I worked for Coca Cola. Then i saw all the negative mean poo poo i swore I’d never deal with, and I quit.

Companies do NOT care about you. They have literal numbers down to the penny about what you’re worth. It’s so gross that it made me quit and find my own way. Now I currently make 1.5-2x what I did there, all because I care about people and deals. I feel like most people are over the cold calculated nature of companies

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

swickles posted:

Why is Picard season 3 real good

My understanding is that first 2 seasons sucked hard and were basically anti-Trek in terms of themes, structure, etc.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It’s basically TNG Season 8 or one of the even movies with a couple of other non TNG people.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Its Rinaldo posted:

UNC didn't get into the NCAA tournament?!

Lol no. They got an invite to the NIT instead and turned it down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Why is Picard season 3 real good

My understanding is that first 2 seasons sucked hard and were basically anti-Trek in terms of themes, structure, etc.

First two seasons both started off promising and looked like they were going to go one direction and then went not in the opposite, but in a manner no one would have really considered. The first season is has Romulans reunifying with Vulcans or as refugees, liberated Borg trying to reintegrate to society while various people (good and bad) are studying an inactive cube, and then Seven being Mando because Starfleet is racist. And then it throws all of those interesting setups away for some stupid poo poo. Season 2 looked like it was going to be Star Trek 4 but with ACAB and then did the same thing. Season 3 so far has two story lines, one follows Picard and Riker trying to save Crusher from something. It involves trying to sweet talk a Captain into it who tells em to gently caress off, then getting Seven to help them. Essentially over the course of the next couple episodes you basically have a cat and mouse game between the good guys and the bad guys in a big space nebula where the good guys are outgunned and outmatched and have to do Star Trek things to win out, which is classic Trek. I won't go into details to avoid spoilers, but the other main plotline is now entangled with the main one only it has Worf and Changelings! Also, you get a moment that you have wanted to see. You know how in the X-Men movies we have Wolverine, but its not until Logan we watch him actually start straight up stabbing people and lopping off limbs? Well, you finally get to see Worf actually use Klingon weapons in the way the allude to in the past, but never show to due being on TV. Overall its just more cohesive and seems like it would fit in well as regular TNG episode arc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My mom has not talked to me about Michigan basketball at all this season, so I don't know poo poo about college basketball right now. I assume it's because they did kinda bad this year.

Another couple with whom we are/were friends used to go to Vegas every year and watch the first two rounds of the tournament there, that sounds like a fun way to do it once or twice.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Trust me I’ll never judge someone for not automatically realizing just how trash big companies are. My dream was to be an in-house lawyer for a bit company and I had that dream realized when I worked for Coca Cola. Then i saw all the negative mean poo poo i swore I’d never deal with, and I quit.

Companies do NOT care about you. They have literal numbers down to the penny about what you’re worth. It’s so gross that it made me quit and find my own way. Now I currently make 1.5-2x what I did there, all because I care about people and deals. I feel like most people are over the cold calculated nature of companies

I like the support network and resources of a larger corp, but also I've never worked in anything nearly as large as Coca-Cola. Right now I'm in a self-contained division of a big multinational and that's about as large as I care to be. Plus with my wife chasing her self-employment dreams one of us needs to have a job with health insurance lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a neat cape posted:

gently caress off

I'm glad you have a good team to root for that will possibly reward you

Silly Burrito posted:

It’s basically TNG Season 8 or one of the even movies with a couple of other non TNG people.
Everybody is still way more angry than TNG but I guess Dominion War and a whole lotta other stuff will do that to the original tng cast. Hearing them curse at each other is weird.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 16, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Uhh, today and tomorrow are the two greatest sports days of the year.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

Owns so hard

easier fodder for SDSU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Just bought a Hard Summer ticket. Never thought I'd be going to a festival again but here I go

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

Uhh, today and tomorrow are the two greatest sports days of the year.

Today and tomorrow aren’t day 3 of the NFL Draft and the Hall of Fame game.

Kidding, obviously, but I don’t like college basketball so this time of year is a big drag for me.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SURVIVED AND ADVANCED

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ah, Cougs...:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm glad you have a good team to root for that will possibly reward you

Look someday they'll fire Hopkins but it won't be until a doner pays him off. Or you can do what my brother in law does and root for Oregon.