Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Thanks folks! Bit naive of me to think it's all real people, I suppose

Will work on identifying the bots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Amphigory posted:

Any time someone tries to tell me how the bots work I stick my fingers in my ears and go LALALALA because I don’t care either way and just wanna feed my ego

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Overbite posted:

I’m really good at placing 2nd or 3rd.

There's a reason I had this emote when I used to stream.

Spacebump posted:

My favorite normal loadout is a Cobra DMR, Combat Shotgun or Maven , SMG or Suppressed AR, katana, and Med Mist.

Tack Pistol, combat/maven, DMR, grandes, splashes.
I exclusively play squads so grandes and splashes are more useful than in solo. I'm willing to drop any of these except the DMR for a katana depending on quality.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Overbite posted:

I’m really good at placing 2nd or 3rd.

Big time same here.

Although I did get my first victory royale of the new season last night, ironically while test and tuning my new G903 mouse. Its already paid for itself!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hyped to play skyrim 2 in fortnite
https://twitter.com/FNCreate/status/1636351947547582465?t=TgQXb17OBbh1n0ipd8PuGw&s=19

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Amphigory posted:

Thanks folks! Bit naive of me to think it's all real people, I suppose

poo poo that bots do:
- ignore you when you're running close by (i guess they don't have visual audio indicators turned on lol)
- miss their shots a LOT. Seriously, the Wild Cards AI is literally twice as good, and the bosses three times as effective.
- land on rooftops and break through the ceiling to enter a building
- break walls to get to chests/items
- leave places half looted to fight instead
- use grenades
- get stuck jumping on and off ziplines
- die in the storm due to being preoccupied with killing another bot/in a zipline loop
- can't strafe for poo poo

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Most of that is poo poo that I do too so it could be an old man instead of AI, keep that in mind.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Yeah, I'll definitely get into a building by breaking down a wall or ceiling if a door isn't immediately within eyesight. Who has the time?

I will also miss a lot of my shots! Am I a bot?? :psylon:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
This is going to be a long 3 months.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I managed to not die one round by standing still inside an igloo (had to hand baby a toy, stepped away from the keyboard), and somebody walked up to me thinking I was an NPC so they walked away without firing a shot.

Felt kinda bad walking after em and shotgunning em down.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i always tag and release bots. better they fight and deplete someone else, i don't need the kill

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Popero posted:

Most of that is poo poo that I do too so it could be an old man instead of AI, keep that in mind.

Yeah, I love setting houses on fire when someone's in it.
But as much as I like throwing grenades at unsuspecting people, normal weapons are so ridiculously lethal that you could be dead before the thing even touches the ground.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

poo poo that bots do:
- ignore you when you're running close by (i guess they don't have visual audio indicators turned on lol)
- miss their shots a LOT. Seriously, the Wild Cards AI is literally twice as good, and the bosses three times as effective.
- land on rooftops and break through the ceiling to enter a building
- break walls to get to chests/items
- leave places half looted to fight instead
- use grenades
- get stuck jumping on and off ziplines
- die in the storm due to being preoccupied with killing another bot/in a zipline loop
- can't strafe for poo poo

other than the zipline loop stuff this is all stuff I have seen real people, including the people on my own team, do on multiple occasions.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yeah a good strategy with bots is to either watch them and use them as an alert system or watch for players drawn to them.

The big AI giveaway is their shooting pattern listen to the way they shotguns and you will learn when it is an AI or player.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
If you here a gunfight that lasts longer than a few seconds it’s usually a group of bots firing somewhere near each other.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bots are usually identifiable by username, too. If it's a meme, pun, or in any way clever, it's probably a bot.

It's hard to describe but it's a real "you'll know it when you see it" type deal.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bots often throw grenades first, before shooting. In fact, I've tricked teams by doing this same pattern, and you can tell they don't take me as seriously till i've knocked the first of a trio. :getin:

(Yes, sometimes a duo couple I play with will get annoyed at me because I regularly will one on three in trios if they're busy being loot goblins. The issue is it's about 50-50 whether I win or not. In game, if I'm in a mood, I'm a little bit psycho).

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Tafferling posted:

Yeah, I love setting houses on fire when someone's in it.
But as much as I like throwing grenades at unsuspecting people, normal weapons are so ridiculously lethal that you could be dead before the thing even touches the ground.

Granades are for chucking in at a team that's hiding, and there is nothing currently better for it. They are useless in single player (maybe clearing bushes without checking? they had a use in builds before there was a half dozen ways to avoid fall damage). If I was a kbm player, there might be a better option, but throwing a few in to send a team running out of cover with broken shields works pretty well.

They also take out the boss before he even dodges. But it's not like he's a real danger, it's just faster.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I was I was playing right now

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
grenades are good for throwing 6 of them through a doorway someone quietly sneaks through then running around to the other side and meeting them with a shotgun when they use the backdoor. love setting buildings on fire and be then waiting when they break a back wall to escape.
used to love the remote explosives for setting doorway traps. should bring those back.
or smoke grenades! used to be really funny to time them out so someone gets stuck waiting for the cloud to go away

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I can't remember the name of it, but many seasons ago there was a grenade that made a temporary hologram clone of you that would hop around and shoot at enemies. Kinda like hiring a follower now but it matched your skin. I managed to win quite a few rounds when opponents didn't know which one to shoot at.

Seemed a little OP, would be surprised if that ever came back.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I changed my argument: Throwing things is fun and exploding things is fun.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

RodShaft posted:

I changed my argument: Throwing things is fun and exploding things is fun.

I like to get a stockpile of grenades every once in awhile and just toss them all at a hotspot or large area with a lot of buildings. sometimes i shake people out of their hiding spots that way.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Any kind of fire is great end game if there are buildings or a lot of trees around. I would just shoot fire arrows at every building to make sure no one is hiding in it.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Fire arrows are cool just because setting an entire tree on fire and seeing it against the horizon looks badass

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Combat shotgun got a nice buff with +7 damage per rarity. Medium ammo amp got toned down a bit and munitions slide got hit bad.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Hobo Clown posted:

Bots are usually identifiable by username, too. If it's a meme, pun, or in any way clever, it's probably a bot.

It's hard to describe but it's a real "you'll know it when you see it" type deal.

There's a few Brazilian Portugese names that are bots.

Names aren't a dead giveaway but if it's a very cheesy self-aware reference or two words with two numbers that's a bot name.

The firing pattern is definitely a giveaway, also weapon switching. If someone swaps weapons quickly, or uses a vehicle, or shoots faster than a slow tap-tap-tap they're a human. That slow tap-tap-tap is a definite dead giveaway, real people don't shoot in so regular a pattern. Bots will miss a lot of their shots but players will too - the difference is in how many shots are going out.

A bot will also get bored if you go behind cover long enough and while sometimes people will disengage my experience is more that people will follow you to the ends of the island to get that kill.

They also never bother using weak spots when pickaxing obstacles.

KingShiro posted:

Combat shotgun got a nice buff with +7 damage per rarity. Medium ammo amp got toned down a bit and munitions slide got hit bad.

Dang nice, I've been going for medium amp + slide because massive magazines and effectively infinite ammo were very helpful. Definitely zeroed in on that augment early,
e: oh my god the suppressed ar had no bloom while sliding? lmao i wish i had realized that. been carrying one around specifically because of the medium amp and slide but i only ever exploited the slide for ammo

parasyte fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 16, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

New Resident Evils skins dropping today

https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1636488199609483265

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yes!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Kind of shocked they aren't putting all the RE skins in the shop.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
https://twitter.com/Justin_Neagle/status/1633605581826129920

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spacebump posted:

I mean maybe. that would be cool too. I missed Chris and Jill from awhile back.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Spacebump posted:

They usually do that a few days to a week or so later when they add new skins to a previous crossover. Like the new DB Super skins for Piccolo and Gohan were the only ones in the shop when they showed up on Jan 31, the other 4 skins and associated items came back on Feb 9.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The gently caress...

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I drove past a landmark discovery the other day that said I was at The Harold's Tree. I didn't even notice that thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

One of the big creator groups that has had access to the unreal engine creator for Fortnite is teasing they rebuilt OG fortnite.
https://twitter.com/AtlasCreativeFN/status/1636721685637259266?t=_McIasgZP0vbvvCijvLsdQ&s=19

This is the season they will use.
https://twitter.com/AtlasOGBR/status/1636714075747938305?t=-PhWr3DKBxn4nLt2kCliFg&s=19

Edit: apparently sypherpk is doing the same thing
https://twitter.com/SypherPK/status/1636512065106968577?t=YdCr8avU8Am_3Gixmf1nxA&s=19

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 17, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr Hootington posted:

One of the big creator groups that has had access to the unreal engine creator for Fortnite is teasing they rebuilt OG fortnite.
https://twitter.com/AtlasCreativeFN/status/1636721685637259266?t=_McIasgZP0vbvvCijvLsdQ&s=19

This is the season they will use.
https://twitter.com/AtlasOGBR/status/1636714075747938305?t=-PhWr3DKBxn4nLt2kCliFg&s=19

Edit: apparently sypherpk is doing the same thing
https://twitter.com/SypherPK/status/1636512065106968577?t=YdCr8avU8Am_3Gixmf1nxA&s=19

I'll never play them myself, but if you want to do duos/squads, I'm in, having never seen the maps before chapter 3 season 4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm sort of surprised Epic hasnt done a season of the OG map

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
bah, og map was boring. flat terrain. everybody landed in titled or pleasant. though i once made an amazing sniper shot from halfway up that mountain to someone looting snobby shores while they were mid fall off a roof. i was in absolute shock and i bet they were pissed.
that little unmarked warehouse between snobby and tilted was fun, nobody dropped there but people usually fled tilted to there. no one landed on 90% of that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

bah, og map was boring. flat terrain. everybody landed in titled or pleasant. though i once made an amazing sniper shot from halfway up that mountain to someone looting snobby shores while they were mid fall off a roof. i was in absolute shock and i bet they were pissed.
that little unmarked warehouse between snobby and tilted was fun, nobody dropped there but people usually fled tilted to there. no one landed on 90% of that map.

I landed everywhere and wouldn't mind seeing a no-build version of that map. A lot of those PoIs where good.