Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Put a second screen in it you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yesss

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like PSP/3DS-style analog sliders? Not a fan

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Looks like a 3DS clone. Is the screen in 16x9 or something else?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tiny Timbs posted:

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS

Put a keyboard there instead

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Looks like PSP/3DS-style analog sliders? Not a fan

Also the low position of them looks like it would be murder on your thumbs, honestly.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This looks right up my alley, my old GPD XD was pretty much this, and was a joy to play on. I'm rocking an Anbernic 351P at the moment, a great lil device, but I'd love better PSP and N64 performance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'll buy the version they put out in 3 months with a better chip.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

njsykora posted:

I'll buy the version they put out in 3 months with a better chip.

Yeah drat they got me with the RP3 and RP3+ honestly.

Doesn't matter because I ended up with a superior transparent blue RP3+ with all black buttons in the end though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

All that space and only four face buttons

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I get the impression it won't have L3/R3 either

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I get the impression it won't have L3/R3 either

The Retroid Discord server is moving pretty quickly today, but it sounds like there will be L3/R3 in addition to the M1 and M2 buttons up top, and that they aren't the same sliders that the RP2 had.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Why bother with the extra weight if there's no 2nd screen? I guess the viewing angle would be a bit better...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

pig labeled 3 posted:

The Retroid Discord server is moving pretty quickly today, but it sounds like there will be L3/R3 in addition to the M1 and M2 buttons up top, and that they aren't the same sliders that the RP2 had.

Hm, interesting. I'm pretty content with my 3+ (heretical in this thread I know) but..neat to see.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

beer gas canister posted:

Why bother with the extra weight if there's no 2nd screen? I guess the viewing angle would be a bit better...
Room for a bigger battery or cooling is possible. It looks a better thing to hold than the 351M I have, which makes my hands cramp in no time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

pig labeled 3 posted:

*reading the post quickly*

M1 and M2 chip!?!?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

Some people are super paranoid about scratching the screen if they put it in a pocket so have been begging for a competantly made (read: not Powkiddy) clamshell handheld for ages. I'm not particularly keen on it but I think those people deserve something that isn't the loving X18S.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That hinge is going to fail so fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That hinge is going to fail so fast.

I'm also very curious about this after hearing some of the ways people's RP3's grenaded themselves.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

njsykora posted:

people's RP3's grenaded themselves.

The what now?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

As the OP reflects the view of a couple years back, and I'm not seeing a basic "here's what's what" in the last couple pages, I'm figuring it'd be reasonable to just drop in and ask what might be worth getting

I've been poking around and hearing decent things about the retroid pocket 3+ and various anbernic boxes with number-based names that aren't as easy to remember as "3+" but basically every time I decide to start shopping around, it's a giant rabbit hole and I get discouraged pretty quick.

I know I'll probably be fine with basically any piece I can get my hands on at this point - my needs are fairly minimal, and I'll most likely be playing NES games more than anything else - but I still feel better having someone with personal experience with both the hardware and, probably even more importantly, the purchasing and shipping options. I know some of these things (not the pocket 3+ but the pocket 3 and any number of interchangeably-numbered anbernics) are on amazon, or they have their own storefronts elsewhere online, but it's hard to suss out what's going to turn up at my apartment in a week and what's going to still be on a boat across the ocean five months from now

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hexwren posted:

As the OP reflects the view of a couple years back, and I'm not seeing a basic "here's what's what" in the last couple pages, I'm figuring it'd be reasonable to just drop in and ask what might be worth getting

I've been poking around and hearing decent things about the retroid pocket 3+ and various anbernic boxes with number-based names that aren't as easy to remember as "3+" but basically every time I decide to start shopping around, it's a giant rabbit hole and I get discouraged pretty quick.

I know I'll probably be fine with basically any piece I can get my hands on at this point - my needs are fairly minimal, and I'll most likely be playing NES games more than anything else - but I still feel better having someone with personal experience with both the hardware and, probably even more importantly, the purchasing and shipping options. I know some of these things (not the pocket 3+ but the pocket 3 and any number of interchangeably-numbered anbernics) are on amazon, or they have their own storefronts elsewhere online, but it's hard to suss out what's going to turn up at my apartment in a week and what's going to still be on a boat across the ocean five months from now

So buying these things you're either going to be finding a local reseller (KeepRetro and Droix are 2 well known ones for the US and UK respectively) or buying from their official store. Retroid, Ayn and Anbernic have regular web stores, Anbernic also has an AliExpress store and Miyoo is Ali only. Shipping is usually 1-2 weeks for these kinds of actual company devices, you're not likely to be waiting months for them unless they're out of stock. Ordering from a reseller will likely be usual local shipping times, but check their shipping info first. I bought my 351P from Droix and it arrived within a week to the UK. Here's the rundown of what's worth it in my opinion.

Sub-$100: Anbernic 35XX/Miyoo Mini+
Will do basically all 2D stuff and PS1 as well. Are both around $60-70, Miyoo Mini+ requires camping on Miyoo's AliExpress store and being faster than scalper bots, 35XX can be bought basically any time. Both really benefit from replacing the firmware with custom software like OnionOS/GarlicOS.

$100-200: Retroid Pocket 3+
Will play up to some Gamecube and PS2 games. Doesn't require any firmware fuckery because it's just Android.

$200-300: Ayn Odin/Ayn Odin Lite
Much more consistent Gamecube and PS2 performance, bigger screen. Still Android, can run Genshin Impact pretty decently. The Lite version is slightly less powerful (in ways that don't impact emulation much) but also has newer wifi and bluetooth chips so if you want to gently caress with stuff like Xbox Cloud or Steam Link this is the one.

$400: Steam Deck
It's big, it's black, it's capable of almost anything up to PS3 emulation.

If you want to look at some reviews, Retro Game Corps is the general thread approved review channel.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 15, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

njsykora posted:

Sub-$100: Anbernic 35XX/Miyoo Mini+
Will do basically all 2D stuff and PS1 as well. Are both around $60-70, Miyoo Mini+ requires camping on Miyoo's AliExpress store and being faster than scalper bots, 35XX can be bought basically any time. Both really benefit from replacing the firmware with custom software like OnionOS/GarlicOS.

$100-200: Retroid Pocket 3+
Will play up to some Gamecube and PS2 games. Doesn't require any firmware fuckery because it's just Android.

Agreed. If you are okay with the 3+ size, then go with 3+. If you think 3+ is too large, get a 35xx or MM+. 35xx is available on Amazon and has more accurate shade of Gameboy gray.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

hexwren posted:

I know I'll probably be fine with basically any piece I can get my hands on at this point - my needs are fairly minimal, and I'll most likely be playing NES games more than anything else

Anything you get will play up to PSX just fine, so you've got a lot of options. Rather than list devices I'd say these are the questions you should be asking yourself:

-What size? The ones with 3.5" screens are pants-pocketable for all but the skinniest of jeans, while the 5" screen devices are nicer to look at but require a coat pocket or satchel or something. Personally I wouldn't recommend anything less than 3.5", because if you're old enough to play NES for nostalgia, you know you'll have to squint to play on anything smaller and frankly at your age you probably shouldn't be wearing pants that tight.

-What form factor? Specifically, do you want a vertical device for that Gameboy reminiscence, or if a wide device do you need stacked shoulder buttons or are you comfortable with side-by-side? I personally have a strong dislike for the side-by-side L2/R2 buttons, a device really has to be really impressive in all other areas for me to grudgingly accept them. Of course if the games you care about pre-date all those extra buttons maybe that's a non-issue.

-Do you want a simple utilitarian, or flashy and nice-looking OS? The cheaper and smaller devices like the 35XX and Miyoo Mini+ use a more bare-bones OS that doesn't include EmulationStation and its fancy features like descriptions and preview videos. I don't think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they'll do Retroachievements either, if you care about getting into that sort of thing. I've become totally enamored with all that stuff and don't want no plain-text-list handheld.

-Android vs Linux? Android is generally more capable in some areas, and of course can run regular Android apps if you're already in that ecosystem. The Linux-based handhelds are much snappier and easier to navigate if all you care about is getting into your games, though. I personally feel like I notice more input lag across all emulated systems in Android, but I haven't done any side-by-side testing or anything, and I don't really use Android for emulation enough to say if it's gotten any better or if there are ways to mitigate it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 15, 2023

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

hexwren posted:

various anbernic boxes with number-based names that aren't as easy to remember as "3+"
any number of interchangeably-numbered anbernics

The Anbernics do (generally) follow a fairly sensible naming scheme once you understand it. The first two digits are the screen size in inches, the next digit is an arbitrary processor "generation" and the letter at the end is the form factor/material. Lacking any letters assume horizontal and plastic.

• RG350M is a 3.5" device, oldest processor generation (0) and metal casing
  • RG351P is one generation newer and plastic
  • RG351V is vertical (GameBoy) style, same power as 351P
  • RG552 is bigger (5.5") and more powerful (but abysmal battery life - that's why there's nothing else using the "2" chip)
  • RG353VS is 3rd generation, vertical, and single-OS (compared to the 353V which dual-boots Linux and Android)
  • RG35XX is a new low-end device to compete with the Miyoo Mini, I guess they used "XX" as it's new but lower power than the others above. Also vertical despite missing the V. I guess this is just the "exception" model.

Within this there are some nuances that aren't in the model name. E.g. 351P doesn't have wifi because they designed it badly and it intefered with the speaker, but the 351M and 351V do because they came later. And the 351P/M have a different aspect ratio to the 351V/MP, while all being 3.5 inches.

Froist fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 16, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gimme them clamshell specs, retroid

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
New info about the folding retroid, guess the sticks click in and are Hall effect

https://twitter.com/Retroid0fficial/status/1636337753783775237?s=20

Wish they would have done more with the extra space they have like add a C and a Z button or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No word on what the internals are though which is what most people are wondering about.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I would bet probably T618 like the RP3+.

If they do a Pocket Flip+, wonder what that would use though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also analogue triggers are neat!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Macichne Leainig posted:

I would bet probably T618 like the RP3+.

If they do a Pocket Flip+, wonder what that would use though

I feel like if it's a T618 they would've said by now because its then a fully known quantity. Otherwise saying it's got active cooling feels like they're setting people up for disappointment if it is a T618 thinking it's a more powerful device than the RP3+.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I dunno, they typically don't bump up the specs that quickly in these types of devices though, don't they usually use older surplus chips and some other pieces sometimes for a lot of these models? Like isn't the Miyoo Mini also old blackberry screens or something?

If it is the T618, people will probably not be excited to buy the RP3+ in another form factor, so I'd probably keep that part hidden for as long as reasonably possible if I was Retroid to keep the hype going

I'm also a computer toucher and not a marketer so I could be way off base :shrug:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Steam deck is 10% off right now!

remigious fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 16, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The steam deck is on sale and $360 is a hell of a value

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hatty posted:

New info about the folding retroid, guess the sticks click in and are Hall effect

https://twitter.com/Retroid0fficial/status/1636337753783775237?s=20

Wish they would have done more with the extra space they have like add a C and a Z button or something.

Hope people know what they’re in for with slide sticks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

MarcusSA posted:

The steam deck is on sale and $360 is a hell of a value

I wish I could borrow someones deck for thirty minutes. does valve have a good return policy? My hands are small enough that even using those hori switch cons give me cramps but standard joy cons are just fine

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

hatty posted:

I wish I could borrow someones deck for thirty minutes. does valve have a good return policy? My hands are small enough that even using those hori switch cons give me cramps but standard joy cons are just fine

It's a 14 day return policy, but from experience with their older hardware, it's pretty no questions asked for the most part so if you don't like it they'll just take it back.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

So it's a vanilla 3?

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 17, 2023

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Look the same as the RP3+ https://www.goretroid.com/products/retroid-pocket-3-handheld-retro-gaming-system-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boooring