Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I guess I still don't get why mch is considered so good for deep dungeon compared to other jobs. If it's for the interrupt and slow, wouldn't bard be just as good? Especially since it was only recently that mch's DPS was buffed to a point where most people think it's ok.

And I guess personally I'm leery about opening myself up to situations where any amount of self healing would save a 10+ hour run, and not having that healing available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Thundarr posted:

I guess I still don't get why mch is considered so good for deep dungeon compared to other jobs. If it's for the interrupt and slow, wouldn't bard be just as good? Especially since it was only recently that mch's DPS was buffed to a point where most people think it's ok.

And I guess personally I'm leery about opening myself up to situations where any amount of self healing would save a 10+ hour run, and not having that healing available.

It's the ability to kite, that you are wholly unreliant on other players for damage (which is why Dancer and Bard have problems, both of them get a huge amount of damage from allies). You have fairly free-flow burst phases. Machinist on its own has always done more damage than Bard or Dancer, the problem was Machinist in groups compared to Bard and Dancer. It also isn't melee dps (who historically have issue because the previous Deep Dungeons have huge auto-attacks going around, which Orthos does not), nor is it a caster (who can't kite and do damage). It is easier to line of sight big aoes that can be line of sighted, the only danger is donuts which you should recognise and move in for.

As for the self healing, people seriously soloing the Deep Dungeons are using the massive regeneration potions anyway, with a well calculated amount to have enough available.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 16, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Another thing about MCH that really helps it in solo deep dungeons: no 'incidental AoE' in its single-target kit. That's not exactly a plus in its column so much as a minus in others', but it's perhaps the biggest downside of RDM, and it's why you'd be insane to try bringing DNC.

But yeah, overall MCH does so well because it just happens to be perfectly suited to a lot of the weird tricks you need to do in solo deep dungeons.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ricochet is aoe with a 5y radius around the target, but it's not a big deal to avoid using it if you need to avoid aggroing nearby dudes.

In Eureka Orthos, Chainsaw is a slightly more painful dps loss if you can't safely use it I guess?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

MCH's dps was judged in a raid environment which considers the buffs you dole out as part of your dps, its solo/personal DPS was and is notably higher than other rdps.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

DNC's really funny just because even as a ranged job you need really good awareness of roamers and your dance range to make it through. It's also why the change to earthly star's range to accommodate raids has made it a cute little tool to just pull everything in deep dungeon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I really really hope that SE gives us (Loporrit honored spoilers) a full version of the Imaging Station mural because it's so drat cute I love these bunnies so much. I wanna use it as desktop wallpaper.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
This is old news I'm sure, but I stepped away from the game for a bit and missed the whole deal with GShade/ReShade. How did that shake out and what should I be using now?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GShade is dead, use ReShade. You can't even run G without doing fuckery to it because the writer put in a version update check that crashes it since the repository got nuked.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GShade got removed from Github and became unusable. He's trying to bring it back but now it's on his own website which you should trust even less. Just use vanilla Reshade and import your shaders over from your GShade folder.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
Many thanks!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It never occurred to me that I would run of out crafting crystals, but I did it somehow.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I really really hope that SE gives us (Loporrit honored spoilers) a full version of the Imaging Station mural because it's so drat cute I love these bunnies so much. I wanna use it as desktop wallpaper.
Also ranked up to honored today, and once again I'm wondering what kind of code madness is behind tribe reputation always starting at rank 3 of 8, and requiring reputation amounts not neatly divisible by the amount you get per quests to rank up :shrug:
Are they afraid of breaking the ARR tribes, or is there a deeper reason for that?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean I assume the first thing is for lore reasons... the ARR tribes were people you've actively fought against or at least were attacked by the city-states you're working for... the expansion tribes are all folks you've already befriended during the course of the MSQ

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For those who haven't seen the outside of my house, I threw together a screenshot album. Still trying to decide what to do for the interior

https://imgur.com/a/zEUcSoW

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sentient Data posted:

For those who haven't seen the outside of my house, I threw together a screenshot album. Still trying to decide what to do for the interior

https://imgur.com/a/zEUcSoW

Have you considered Paissas?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

As if i could hope to compete with perfection

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Idle thought, thinking about the bits of EW I've been spoiled on: I kind of want a post-patch-credits stinger where Zenos shows up on your island.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Dareon posted:

Idle thought, thinking about the bits of EW I've been spoiled on: I kind of want a post-patch-credits stinger where Zenos shows up on your island.

Only if he tends my farm :colbert:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The Steam version of Endwalker is currently 50% off for the Spring Sale. Coming back after a lil' Shadowbreakers? Now's a good time to buy.

If you're new or on the free trial and want to upgrade, do not buy the Complete edition because, lol?

Just add them to your cart separately.

e: actually if you're new don't buy it on steam at all because outside of this rare steam store w the non-steam version tends to go on sale more often

No sales on PSN or Square's online store. Yet.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I've actually got a steam ew code that i accidentally bought (the ad didn't mention anywhere it was the stream version). If anyone is in a goon fc and needs it, you can have it

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Martman posted:

Like you already completed it?? Dang, congrats.

Yeah it gave me an excuse to swap off Necromancer for a bit after a few years

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

im bnuuy now

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Vitamean posted:

If you're new or on the free trial and want to upgrade, do not buy the Complete edition because, lol?

Just add them to your cart separately.

thanks for flagging this lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

It never occurred to me that I would run of out crafting crystals, but I did it somehow.

Time to get the Desertreaper title!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've run out a few times, but that's because I would dump my crystals in the FC storage or sell them on the market board.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

super sweet best pal posted:

Time to get the Desertreaper title!

I hate that each step of that achievement increases the number of harvesting points needed as well as the level. Make it cumulative from all notes, or some reasonable amount at each level. Why do I need 4,000 from specifically 41-50?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

I've run out a few times, but that's because I would dump my crystals in the FC storage or sell them on the market board.

They sell really well in small stacks. It's hard to resist listing 'em

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it's literally not worth your time to gather crystals because bots have driven their process into the basement. It's still worth selling them if you're not market baroning and can use the space on your retainers because money is money, but only if you got them from quest rewards.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I hate that each step of that achievement increases the number of harvesting points needed as well as the level. Make it cumulative from all notes, or some reasonable amount at each level. Why do I need 4,000 from specifically 41-50?

It was intended for when ARR was endgame and they didn't have the same handle on things they do now. Gathering achievements are a good time to listen to audiobooks and old radio dramas, only downside is you start building mental connections between the grind and what you were listening to. When I think about The Shadow I think about harvesting in Raincatcher Gully.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

There's literally one spot in Gridania to get the level 11-20 mining nodes. I wound up with... *checks post history* 592 raw sphene. I probably should have done crystals instead, there's practically no market for sphene.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 17, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah there's like a small handful of recipes that use sphene in any way and they're all low level crap.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh did I miss this getting posted?

https://twitter.com/SquareEnixBooks/status/1636351610862583808?t=G1PzDyVAbbkuegnaH-gv9g&s=19

Gotta wait until September though

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

im bnuuy now

welcome to the bnuuy life.

Some days I miss hats but then rmb I can still wear glasses forever.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Would love to know what sicko decided there needed to be an achievement to discover 20,000 deep dungeon hoards now, like 10,000 wasn't already thousands of hours of grinding

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

super sweet best pal posted:

It was intended for when ARR was endgame and they didn't have the same handle on things they do now. Gathering achievements are a good time to listen to audiobooks and old radio dramas, only downside is you start building mental connections between the grind and what you were listening to. When I think about The Shadow I think about harvesting in Raincatcher Gully.

I don't really have a brain that allows me to use a podcast to distract from the tedium of what I'm doing. I put on some good music while I was mining sphene, but anything with an actual meaning will often have me stopping the activity to pay attention or entirely zoning out what was happening in the audio. I did use an Eclipse Phase actual play podcast to deal with a massive series of jumps in Elite Dangerous, and I had a Return of the Obra Dinn Let's Play in the background as I was macroing a bunch of crafts for the Crystalline Mean a few days ago.

Alder posted:

welcome to the bnuuy life.

Some days I miss hats but then rmb I can still wear glasses forever.

If we'd gotten Bangaa instead of hroth they could probably wear hats but not glasses.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The fan TL was a fun read so I'm glad that it's getting an official TL as well.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

aers posted:

Would love to know what sicko decided there needed to be an achievement to discover 20,000 deep dungeon hoards now, like 10,000 wasn't already thousands of hours of grinding

Hell I want to know how there's one for discovering any of them without using a pomander. That's pure random luck right there, you won't just stumble on a piece of the accursed hoard by walking around, you need to stop in a spot for a second.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kwyndig posted:

Hell I want to know how there's one for discovering any of them without using a pomander. That's pure random luck right there, you won't just stumble on a piece of the accursed hoard by walking around, you need to stop in a spot for a second.

It's actually much more likely to happen early into a deep dungeon's life, when people aren't just trying to blitz the thing and fight entire floors at once. I've had a couple in Orthos.

Consider that every time a fight happens in a four-player party, you've got four people sitting still enough that, if they happen to pick the right spot, they trigger it. (And that's without taking into account... y'know, moving mid-fight.) Now imagine that every single room has one of those fights instead of dodging fights or dragging every single mob into the exact same place, and you're probably starting to picture how you start finding a few secret chests by sheer chance.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kwyndig posted:

IIRC the locations have been mapped by Deep Dungeon experts at this point (at least for PotD), so you can brute-force it these days, although it sounds miserable. And I think I did get that achievement by total accident in an early clear -- definitely not any of the subsequent non-intuition Hoard achievements, though...

EDIT: Yeah, as mentioned, it's much more likely to happen when you're clearing carefully than when you're blitzing, just because of the increased standing around.