Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

shades of blue posted:

oathbreaker seems like the most nonsense combo format imaginable. its a bad format.

Kind of weird to call it bad from what it "seems" to you, but whatever.

I still feel like the format needs a better regulated ban list, but it's not a bad format at its core. It is a bit more combo-centric by default (and frankly that's part of the appeal because combos are fun), but combat is still also valid due to lower life totals, as opposed to commander's 40.

Toshimo posted:

Now, Conquest? That's some good stuff. When I hear that the first thing they did was delete the Reserve List, it immediately had my attention.

A shame WotC can never touch it because it would be a tacit admission of how toxic the RL is.

I'd quite enthusiastically jump on the Conquest ship if people more actually played it.

Oathbreaker was a flash in the pan here because it often devolved into "oh the Jace player cast Paradigm Shift, game's over" or "why are two of you playing T3feri, now no one can interact at all, this sucks", but for a few weeks, we still had a significant enough amount of interest to have a couple pods going. I'd do the same if Conquest took off here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i would like to play the format where my opponent can make tyvar + entomb their commander surely there is nothing busted you can do with this in conjunction with the magic card hermit druid. being able to have chord of calling as your commander is surely a good thing and not a bad thing. idk, i cant understand the appeal to the format.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

shades of blue posted:

i would like to play the format where my opponent can make tyvar + entomb their commander surely there is nothing busted you can do with this in conjunction with the magic card hermit druid. being able to have chord of calling as your commander is surely a good thing and not a bad thing. idk, i cant understand the appeal to the format.

What even is the HD line in Golgari?

Idk I think the combo stuff is a feature, it makes the format more interesting for me than if it was just commander with extra bans. Different strokes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If everyone is on board with building busted combos and is on the same page from the start I can see that being kinda cool, I just can't imagine wanting to continue with that experiment much longer than the first couple games.

Edit: In other words, I can't think up anything other than insufferable oathbreaker/spell combinations, and I can see everyone getting tired of my dumb bullshit real fast.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 16, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Part of the fun of building a singleton commander deck is finding various spells that really shine with your commander. You can't guarantee what spells you pull, but you know your commander will be around to plan for so you pack your deck with neat potential payoffs and synergy.

This sounds like you just pick one really strong 2 card play and can focus on pulling it off as fast and often as you can manage. Could be a neat diversion for like a midweek madness in Arena but I'd hesitate to shell out for a paper deck.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My format of choice is "6 Year Old Child". It's a 60 card singleton but each card from your deck is placed in the command zone at the start of the game, and you can play them whenever you want.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
twitter thread on it:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1636489163447885824

tldr: they're not planning any oathbreaker products and are neither managing or sanctioning the format; the addition of it on the website was mainly to support a nonprofit that teaches children through mtg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

whose oaths are being broken anyway

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Calling it now Wrenn card with an ult that Melds into Wrenn and Realmbreaker.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

whose oaths are being broken anyway

im thinking based on nothing at all that it's uhhh a ref to the gatewatch , because the format is planeswalkers battle royale so they aren't working together !

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reverse Three-Card Magic is fun. You have to make the worst possible three-card deck that's still capable of winning a game against a goldfish. Players don't lose to having no cards in their library.

You can make a really slow deck with Fountain of Cho + Sustaining Spirit + Sage's Reverie.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

twitter thread on it:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1636489163447885824

tldr: they're not planning any oathbreaker products and are neither managing or sanctioning the format; the addition of it on the website was mainly to support a nonprofit that teaches children through mtg

Darn, too bad. Thought it looked neat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Judges tower seems fun, for a certain definition of fun. Sanction it wotc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Calling it now Wrenn card with an ult that Melds into Wrenn and Realmbreaker.

Real question is if it means Compleated Wrenn or Big Nice Tree. And I really hope it's not a meld card, double faced is worst face.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wrenn, Planar Gatekeeper would be a good conclusion to the current story imo

Also, you could do degenerate transmogrify shenanigans in OB in mono red with Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast and Satyr's Cunning. Stuff the deck full of big doofuses and haste enablers and you're good.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Real question is if it means Compleated Wrenn or Big Nice Tree. And I really hope it's not a meld card, double faced is worst face.

Compleated wrenn would basically just be a redo of Lukka Fucks Up Bonding A Phyrexian so if it happens, Big Nice Tree

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Presumably they'll be wrapping up Phyrexians for a few years at least so I'm rooting for Wrenn and the Big Friendly Tree.

I'm also honestly still bracing for them to talk back compleation for one or more planeswalkers, so I kind of expect Chandra will survive. To be fair, Kaya and then we're saying they went in all prepared, but as I recall it was still a pretty small and nearly hopeless force, and that was before everything started going wrong which was immediately. And then dipshit mc brain control got idiotically sucker punched in the most obvious way and dragged everyone along with him because Jace is just a black hole of garbage.

I wonder if Chandra will actually reach out to Urabrask in some weird way. After seeing Sheoldred was decapitated, I don't think it will make Urabrask more compliant to Norn rule, I think he'd be willing to throw down with Chandra against Norn.

And Lukka, I'd love nothing more than for him to just idiotically die trying to make friends with weird beasts... Just get the feeling they're setting him up as an obvious loser who either surprisingly triumphs either for Phyrexia, or for shock value shirks his Phyrexian obsession for his own Beasts Wars poo poo and turns himself into a Beastrexian obsessed with trying to get other animals to come do weird forest creature poo poo and hang out. They could conquer the multiverse as well as Phyrexians but all they want to do is hunt, have zoomies, sleep in sun on rocks all day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I wonder if Chandra will actually reach out to Urabrask in some weird way. After seeing Sheoldred was decapitated

Wait what lol?

Is this on a card

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Today's fiction. Anyone figure out who Atraxa was made from?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait what lol?

Is this on a card

They released the first two parts of the MoM story today.

One is essentially Norn gloating to herself, decapitates Sheoldred, and asks the compleated walkers to pick a cool place to invade and takeover.

Nahiri picked some place where she said she could easily dominate the plane, before my time, assume something with the Eldrazi rocks or whatever?

Tamiyo has a brief moment of humanity looking around at Kamigawa, before getting snapped at to focus and being like I want everyone to know how cool it is to be in this lame club. Also someone on Kamigawa gave up all their candy to share with some kids and left none for themselves.

Lukka gets kind of sent off as a joke they expect to fail. Jace goes somewhere without speaking since, Jace. I forgot the others but Theros is one of the targets since they think they can make a compleated god by corrupting some priests and whatnot.

Then I think Atraxis being sent to gently caress with the angels in capenna, who are hanging out there somewhere but maybe they're evil angels anyway? also before my time but I guess they got the good halo juice. Atraxa seemed almost scared like she thinks she might get rear end kicked? Norn also has a petty pride moment about refusing to compleat some ship, to just scrap it for parts because she's so mad about it for whatever reason. I really don't know why she's so mad at a ship, maybe I misread something.

Second one was just Chandra and Lili and Wrenn waiting around until Kaya and co show up and are like we made a worse mess than it was, to catch them up. Chandra does some angry anime gestures and leaves to go burn down the evil tree, no plan. Just by herself, but then Wrenn is like I hear the tree it's straight up not having a good time, I'll go with you. Wrenn mentions Teferi and sounds like she knows an old tree trick to get the T man out of limbo.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Compleated wrenn would basically just be a redo of Lukka Fucks Up Bonding A Phyrexian so if it happens, Big Nice Tree

Wrenn bonds with realmbreaker, realmbreaker is now on fire. Some Phyrexians end up killed in a fire, some end up trapped on a silver orb, Phyrexians are dealt with in the same way as Eldrazi.

I am looking forward to Urabrask getting married though, wonder how that goes.

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 17, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is the ship norn is pissed at the weatherlight, because if so norn probably hates it for being urza's legacy and being the vehicle of Gerrard that contributed to the downfall of yawgmoth and phyrexia 1.0

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah okay, probably. Still seems to me, if I were the evil leader of the doofus scouts, I'd want to compleat it as a sick symbol of my dominance or whatever, right? Idk I'd do a lot of stuff different, I'd use realmbreaker to make an outreach program, make em actually want to be compleated, for the benefits and QOL.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Ah okay, probably. Still seems to me, if I were the evil leader of the doofus scouts, I'd want to compleat it as a sick symbol of my dominance or whatever, right? Idk I'd do a lot of stuff different, I'd use realmbreaker to make an outreach program, make em actually want to be compleated, for the benefits and QOL.

the phyrexian gi bill and veteran's compleation benefits

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Khanstant posted:

wasn't it already compleated when the weatherlight crew 2 decided to rub some oil all over it and surprise now it's the [[weatherlight compleated]]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

wasn't it already compleated when the weatherlight crew 2 decided to rub some oil all over it and surprise now it's the [[weatherlight compleated]]

yeah i have a copy of it in my jan jansen historic brawl deck... i should probably update it, there's probably some good stuff in BRO and ONE for a mardu artifact sacrifice deck lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Did anyone in this thread learn magic first from Commander? It's been fun to see it rise in popularity since I first learned, but my first memories were cobbling a deck out of a friends pile of misc chronicles cards. We made lovely decks where Frozen Shade was the best card because it wasn't printed with "until end of turn" on the +1/+1 ability.

Curious what it looks like if you're intro is instead commander, where you have to smash together 100 cards.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Did anyone in this thread learn magic first from Commander? It's been fun to see it rise in popularity since I first learned, but my first memories were cobbling a deck out of a friends pile of misc chronicles cards. We made lovely decks where Frozen Shade was the best card because it wasn't printed with "until end of turn" on the +1/+1 ability.

Curious what it looks like if you're intro is instead commander, where you have to smash together 100 cards.

I did, but from a baldur's gate commander draft if that counts. it was pretty manageable. A few days later I went and played at a game store against people popping off combos and stuff and it was incredibly overwhelming. absolutely impossible to track people's board states and have any kind of plan until you sort of get used to what strategies generally exist

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Question about the story from today: I didn't understand if the protagonist planeswalkers were in any sense captured? They seemed to be able to planeswalk away when they wanted to (timing it with Lukka to cover the sound, for some reason). If they weren't captive, why was Elesh Norn gloating like they were? IF they were captive, why not compleat them rather than say "let them go try to organize resistance and have them act as our harbingers"?

I didn't understand the whole setup of the scene, and feel like I'm missing something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Khanstant posted:

So you want this BTAF comic from a million years ago basically verbatim

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Today's fiction. Anyone figure out who Atraxa was made from?

Atraxa was just an angel from Mirrodin that died buying time for other rebels to retreat during the last major battle for the plane. To celebrate each preator, except Urabrask, contributed to her resurrection and compleation.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They were captured but like a good villain she wanted to monologue at them an let them go and spreed fear.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I love how deeply Ashiok has embedded the fear of Elspeth in Elesh Norn. It seems like she's going to have a massive public breakdown or something as Elspeth overpowers her and slays her.

quote:

The air is not quite silent in the sanctum.

Norn hates it.

With a gesture, she calls for her attendants. They arrive to recite her own thoughts and teachings to her. In their screeching voices, Elesh Norn forgets her nightmares—and the woman who stalks them, cloaked in white.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/garden-flesh-2022-05-03
Phyrexians don't dream. But Ashiok inflicted a waking nightmare on Elesh Norn to use their magic on her. So something is going on if she has to drown out her own thoughts to dispel a fear of Elspeth.
Ashiok has been incredibly successful in their experiment. It has found what is possibly more fertile soil for their art than Elspeths mind.

Sylvian Wastes fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 17, 2023

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Hello Urabrask i didn't know you had a somethingawful account, congrats on marrying Ayara

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

oathbreaker probably gets a nod where a bunch of other fan formats don't b/c most of those formats are variants of existing formats with a slightly different legality list & putting a spell in the command zone to cast repeatedly at the very least adds a bunch of new, interesting things you can do in deckbuilding

If you want to get really creative with deckbuilding, Jank! gives you quite a few options and challenges.

“JANK! is a set of rules that, should you follow them all, you will have a deck that looks like a 15-year-old’s kitchen-table deck, and that will be a top-tier deck,”

There are several decks sizes, card copy restrictions, set restrictions and card point pools. You can customize the build restrictions for your decks with different "feats." Each player starts with 3 charges of abilities to help you dig for lands or spells.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ph4qNbdLRqwtG_pz9qgrDS-zC_xofFiS/view?fbclid=IwAR0x-L8AHmN00Jz1Ym2BEtY6_G5coGK4xqcZyTpxuRrlu31MsFCE5J8916Y

Like Oathbreaker, it's been developed in Minnesota. Jank! is mostly played at my favorite shop, Steamship Games, which Yawgmoth turned me on to. RIP.
Steamship runs a free tournament on Sundays. It's 3 35 minute bo1 rounds and you get a free booster for attending.

https://twincitiesgeek.com/2019/12/a-locally-created-magic-the-gathering-format-thrives-in-twin-cities-game-stores/
(The rules in the article are outdated)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Everytime someone jokes about urabrask marrying ayara i think of that one guy who doesnt understand metaphors who wonders why the sets called March of the Machines

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ram dass in hell posted:

im thinking based on nothing at all that it's uhhh a ref to the gatewatch , because the format is planeswalkers battle royale so they aren't working together !

Yep

Captain Invictus posted:

Is the ship norn is pissed at the weatherlight, because if so norn probably hates it for being urza's legacy and being the vehicle of Gerrard that contributed to the downfall of yawgmoth and phyrexia 1.0

The ship is an old Phyrexian invasion ship. The backstory of New Capenna is that it's a city built on top of an old Phyrexian invasion ship, and the city (protected by initially the angels and then Halo, made out of the angels) is the only living thing left on the plane of Capenna.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Khanstant posted:

They released the first two parts of the MoM story today.

Nahiri was Zendikar where she said she'd kickstart the Lithoform Engine and conquer her home. Tamiyo was Kamigawa as you said. Lukka was Ikoria and everyone involved assumes he'll gently caress it up. Ajani is Theros to conquer their gods and, presumably in connection with why Atraxa is sent to Capenna, gently caress with anything Elspeth related. Atraxa is sent to Capenna because 1) Phyrexians were there before and failed. Therefore, they're not worth rescuing/welcoming into the ranks of New Phyrexia, so scrap them for parts(that's the ship part). 2) Since Phyrexians were already there, and Capenna rejected the glory of Phyrexia, its to be destroyed outright rather than compleated. They had their chance. 3) Angels and Halo. Since Halo, and the Angels that produce it, are potentially a problem to New Phyrexia, it's to be dealt with, and Atraxa hopefully will be somewhat resistant due to their Angel history. Also 4) As above, gently caress with things involving Elspeth cause Ashiok has Norn really shook about her.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Is there an in universe reason why Lukka is so incompetent? Sure other planeswalker have character flaws but Lukka's flaw seems to be "makes bad decisions".

\/
Okay my theory is that as a child Lukka bonded with a real dumb animal and it hosed him up for life.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MasterBuilder posted:

Is there an in universe reason why Lukka is so incompetent? Sure other planeswalker have character flaws but Lukka's flaw seems to be "makes bad decisions".

Sometimes even powerful people are dumb