Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

How's the Bolt 2020 edition? Not going to rip your arm off via bad seat belt/ burn a hole in your driveway?

Family member's considering dropping their 2004 Focus since it's getting unreliable and I'm trying to veer them away from a 20mpg SUV like the Chevy Trax.

I've had a 2020 Bolt since pre-pandemic and despite two unresolved recalls, it's been a trouble-free car. Biggest annoyance is the nail that went into my sidewall and I had to pay for a new tire.

If you're buying from a dealer, doing the pretensioner recall is a no-brainer. I'm not sure of their current stance of being able to sell one without battery replacement.

If you're buying private party, pop the VIN into the online tool to see the current recall status. https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-recall

Personally, I'm content to be near the back of the line. Seems 2020s are low priority/risk and every mile I drive pre-replacement is less wear on the second battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Peanut3141 posted:

Personally, I'm content to be near the back of the line. Seems 2020s are low priority/risk and every mile I drive pre-replacement is less wear on the second battery.

:hmmyes:

I have a 2019 and it was near the front of the line. Bought it for a song because everybody was freaking out about Bolts exploding or whatever. Even with the software hack limiting how high you could charge, it was still a longer-range car than the LEAF. Then one day it was time for the recall, and now I have a brand new battery with an 8-year warranty.

The thread has said this before but a used Bolt with a pre-recall battery is a hell of a good bargain. Or at least it used to be. I have no idea what the market is like now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ROFLBOT posted:

If you have PIN to drive enabled it wouldnt matter, no one is driving off with your car even if they by some random chance were able to get in it

Is this seriously a thing? Seems way less convenient than a normal proximity key.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

dissss posted:

Is this seriously a thing? Seems way less convenient than a normal proximity key.

Yeah it's a thing. People are doing relay attacks to steal these cars (supposedly that's been fixed, but I don't trust Elon :colbert: ) here, so I enabled it a while ago, also turning off passive entry etc.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wibla posted:

Yeah it's a thing. People are doing relay attacks to steal these cars (supposedly that's been fixed, but I don't trust Elon :colbert: ) here, so I enabled it a while ago, also turning off passive entry etc.

I also have it turned on for the same reason.

You know how we had that stupid derail a few pages back about whether there should be a power button to start the car? You can pretend it's a power button if you like :)

e: I should mention that while I also don't trust Elon, he's not actually doing any of the engineering at Tesla, and I have mad respect for their security team. I didn't realize they claimed to have fixed it. Maybe I'll turn it back off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the GV60 face scanning idea even if it is a bit of a scary dystopian thing somehow :haw:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cars should do the gattaca method by testing your blood by pricking your finger.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I like the GV60 face scanning idea even if it is a bit of a scary dystopian thing somehow :haw:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Please come to america

You'd think people would see how the Bolt is selling and want in on that.

e. Americans buy Golfs, right? Why not ID.2s?

e2. Call it a crossover. Call it an SUV if you have to.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 16, 2023

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Normal Barbarian posted:

You'd think people would see how the Bolt is selling and want in on that.

e. Americans buy Golfs, right? Why not ID.2s?

e2. Call it a crossover. Call it an SUV if you have to.

This would be about 8" shorter than a Golf. Its even shorter than a Polo which we also don't get because its too small. The Bolt EUV would be 10" longer.

The ID.2 is going to be tiny

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Make a loving Golf already cowards

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

cruft posted:

:hmmyes:

I have a 2019 and it was near the front of the line. Bought it for a song because everybody was freaking out about Bolts exploding or whatever. Even with the software hack limiting how high you could charge, it was still a longer-range car than the LEAF. Then one day it was time for the recall, and now I have a brand new battery with an 8-year warranty.

The thread has said this before but a used Bolt with a pre-recall battery is a hell of a good bargain. Or at least it used to be. I have no idea what the market is like now.

My '21 bolt went in for the recalls early this morning. Judging from the state of charge in the app, they've accomplished absolutely nothing today. Thanks crappy-local-dealer! They also don't answer calls.

I'm jealous of your new-battery bliss.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kill me now posted:

This would be about 8" shorter than a Golf. Its even shorter than a Polo which we also don't get because its too small. The Bolt EUV would be 10" longer.

The ID.2 is going to be tiny

The current Polo punches well above its weight as far as packaging goes so hopefully this will too.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh...

Had a check engine light that came and went twice this past week.

I've received the codes any 2nd Gen Volt owner dreads to see.. especially if it's after the 100k warranty has expired!

The infamous BECM failure. Thankfully the months long wait to get that part finally seems to have cleared up in just the past month. And I am still within the 100k warranty.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The most elaborate car thief ring ever

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

stevewm posted:

Ugh...

I've received the codes any 2nd Gen Volt owner dreads to see.. especially if it's after the 100k warranty has expired!

The infamous BECM failure. Thankfully the months long wait to get that part finally seems to have cleared up in just the past month. And I am still within the 100k warranty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo43B6nu60

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

priznat posted:

The most elaborate car thief ring ever

idk face swapping technology is pretty old at this point, that documentary was made 25 years ago

Face Off is old enough to rent a car lmao

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stevewm posted:

Ugh...

Well that’s upsetting. How much does one of these repairs cost? I guess I need to start squirreling away some money.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

stevewm posted:

Ugh...

Cars: still a pain in the rear end, even when we figured out a better propulsion technology.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Youtube channel JerryRigEverything takes an early look at the Aptera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-pboYgSF2Q

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well that’s upsetting. How much does one of these repairs cost? I guess I need to start squirreling away some money.

The repair is covered under the Voltec warranty, which is 8 years or 100k miles. (10 years/150k miles if the car was originally sold in a state following CA emissions laws)

Out of warranty it is around $1400 if I remember correctly. The part is around $350, the rest is labor. Getting to the module requires the main battery coolant to be drained, battery dropped, and the cover removed. When putting it back together they have to do a smoke test to ensure the battery cover is sealed properly and then re-fill the coolant. Some more enterprising people have just removed the rear seat and cut through the floor and the top of the battery cover to get at the module.

This failure usually has the following symptoms: Check engine light with U26xx codes. Full battery but showing 0 EV range. Switching to gas with battery left. Heater and/or AC not working randomly. Won't charge. And sometimes the car just won't move.

Someone on Facebook verified it is due to cracked solder joints on ADC chips in the module used to read the cell group voltages, that same person was able to repair a BECM by just reflowing the solder joints. An easy DiY repair, if the module wasn't so hard to get to!

The Bolt EV shares this same part with the 2nd gen Volt. And there have been some failures reported with the Bolt as well. But not nearly as many as the Volt. It is mostly 2017 Volts that seem to have this issue, but the TSB from GM says 2016 to 2019 Volts could be affected. Reports of 2018-2019 Volts having the issue are few online.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 17, 2023

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

borkencode posted:

Youtube channel JerryRigEverything takes an early look at the Aptera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-pboYgSF2Q

Not going to watch the whole thing but 1. he's literally shilling for it and taking referral fees and 2. lmao at the constant loud rattling

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

borkencode posted:

I love the idea of these and desperately hope they're not just scamming investors.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it ever actually makes it to market.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I love the idea of these and desperately hope they're not just scamming investors.

:same:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah I mean they look not only like a perfect city vehicle, but like they would be really fun to drive as well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I mean they look not only like a perfect city vehicle, but like they would be really fun to drive as well.
The Aptera is like the opposite of a perfect city car, massive footprint, optimized for aerodynamics. Would be better suited for roadtrips IMO.

It gets posted here from time to time and it's still hard to say if it's a scam or they'll actually deliver something. I don't really see any progress since the last update the did a few months ago. I do hope they can actually produce a truly efficient and innovative EV that isn't just a skateboard under an ICE shell.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

borkencode posted:

Magic Underwear posted:

Not going to watch the whole thing but 1. he's literally shilling for it and taking referral fees and 2. lmao at the constant loud rattling

Christ almighty it makes more noise than a citroën ami van(and it seems as comfortable to ride in).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Christ almighty it makes more noise than a citroën ami van(and it seems as comfortable to ride in).

Regarding the rattling, it's an old prototype.. which makes it more suspicious that they're not showing off something newer that isn't a piece of poo poo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Loucks posted:

I test drove a 2000 Toyota Echo in the early aughts and remember being surprised by how roomy it was. I remember hating the center-mounted instrument cluster.

Now I drive an M3. :v:

A coworker of mine used to have an Echo sedan. He's 6' 6" and about 275 pounds. He got into the car at the dealer as a joke while his dad's vehicle was being serviced, thinking "big guy in a little car", but was so chuffed he fit, he eventually bought one, and drove the wheels off of it. We'd pile 4 of us in the thing to go to lunch, and it was NOT happy about that. Turning the AC off made a noticeable difference in acceleration!

bird with big dick posted:

It sounds like some of it kind of is like the car getting bricked but seems the whole thing could have been prevented if this dildo had a $12 shovel.

Or maybe had not gotten out of the vehicle with it in reverse while being towed? Like, why would you get out?

Holy poo poo, the can listen!
This is like Apple going back to the old keyboard, ditching the stupid touchstrip, and putting the HDMI back on the computer.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

This is like Apple going back to the old keyboard, ditching the stupid touchstrip, and putting the HDMI back on the computer.

Counterpoint, the VW hatch looks bad,always has, and “19 year old pizza delivery guy” is not the demo they should be targeting.

Edit: Actually, at the price and specs if they can pull it off, maybe it is the right demo. Would be really impressive at that price.

Still ugly though.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 17, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Darchangel posted:

A coworker of mine used to have an Echo sedan. He's 6' 6" and about 275 pounds. He got into the car at the dealer as a joke while his dad's vehicle was being serviced, thinking "big guy in a little car", but was so chuffed he fit, he eventually bought one, and drove the wheels off of it. We'd pile 4 of us in the thing to go to lunch, and it was NOT happy about that. Turning the AC off made a noticeable difference in acceleration!

Or maybe had not gotten out of the vehicle with it in reverse while being towed? Like, why would you get out?

Are they listening or are they reacting to being absolutely crushed by the EVs coming out of China and Korea? Seems like a play for the Chinese market as well where sub 200krmb(29k usd) are becoming the standard for even fairly high spec’s sedans.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Are they listening or are they reacting to being absolutely crushed by the EVs coming out of China and Korea? Seems like a play for the Chinese market as well where sub 200krmb(29k usd) are becoming the standard for even fairly high spec’s sedans.
I think the OP is talking about VW being bullied into using normal buttons again.

Assuming it was always the plan to build a smaller, cheaper hatchback.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GlassEye-Boy posted:

They are not being crushed due to a good product being sold at high prices, they are being crushed due to a shitload of bugs in the infotainment and ux designed by the criminally insane.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

Counterpoint, the VW hatch looks bad,always has, and “19 year old pizza delivery guy” is not the demo they should be targeting.

Edit: Actually, at the price and specs if they can pull it off, maybe it is the right demo. Would be really impressive at that price.

Still ugly though.

That's quite a take! To each their own, I think it looks good and tidy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thomas id2 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TaNKoYLGsQ

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mobby_6kl posted:

The Aptera is like the opposite of a perfect city car, massive footprint, optimized for aerodynamics. Would be better suited for roadtrips IMO.

It gets posted here from time to time and it's still hard to say if it's a scam or they'll actually deliver something. I don't really see any progress since the last update the did a few months ago. I do hope they can actually produce a truly efficient and innovative EV that isn't just a skateboard under an ICE shell.

Lol

I like the VW hatch, I'd have one.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like the hatch as well, I wish they would just do an Electric Golf / GTI / R as well, that would be neat, but we're not even getting this one, are we. It does look like a Golf though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rusty posted:

I like the hatch as well, I wish they would just do an Electric Golf / GTI / R as well, that would be neat, but we're not even getting this one, are we. It does look like a Golf though.

They used to make a golf electric before making the id.3, it was incredibly unremarkable.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well that was just them scrambling to get any EV out of the door since they realized that people actually want them and the ID.3 was still some ways off. So they just crammed an EV drivetrain into an ICE golf and called it a day.
You could get one cheap as hell though when they finally pushed out the ID.3 and needed to get rid of the inventory. Not great range but great as a cheap electric city car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

They used to make a golf electric before making the id.3, it was incredibly unremarkable.

The id.3 is the EV Golf, and this is the EV Polo, as far as I can tell