Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, I was about to say that's new to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Guess we know the "mystery," disease he had and Dejan was 100%

Dejan Bimble posted:

Our friend alonzo ball is bone on bone

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Its a very relatively new procedure.

Step 2: Growing cells in the laboratory

The harvested rice-grain-sized cartilage specimen along with the patient’s blood sample is taken to the laboratory. The cartilage cells are isolated from the tissue sample and grown in the patient’s blood serum under sterile conditions. This procedure completely rules out any contact with proteins or blood components foreign to the body.

At the end of the production process, which typically takes 6-8 weeks, small spherical cell aggregates have formed which contain hundreds of thousands of augmentable cartilage cells. The cartilage cells are transported back to the clinic within hours inside special refrigerated containers to preserve the quality of the cells.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Embiid and Harden are on the cusp of history:

code:
Season 		PPG 		 	    APG				Team
2022-23 	Joel Embiid (33.5 ppg) 	    James Harden (10.8 apg) 	76ers
1981-82 	George Gervin (32.3 ppg)    Johnny Moore (9.7 apg) 	Spurs
1973-74 	Bob McAdoo (30.6 ppg) 	    Ernie DiGregorio (8.2 apg) 	Braves
1972-73 	Nate Archibald (34.0 ppg)   Tiny Archibald (11.4 apg) 	Kings
1962-63 	Wilt Chamberlain (44.8 ppg) Guy Rodgers (10.4 apg) 	Warriors
1951-52 	Paul Arizin (25.4 ppg) 	    Andy Phillip (8.2 apg) 	Warriors
It's uncommon for teammates to lead in PPG and APG together. Embiid and Harden have the highest numbers since Nate/Tiny Archibald in 1973.

Ja leans over and whispers in Jalen's ear, "I got that gun from Gaston Glock."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

:sad: if that's his MVP award this year.

Fast Luck posted:

I went to LA once in my life and all the city buses on the digital screens would alter between saying like "L5 BEVERLY HILLS" or whatever and "RIP KOBE BRYANT" and there were Kobe shrines all over the city. To be fair I guess Kobe was dead at the time, but it being on the city buses was kind of a surprise to me

I remember being in LA and watching the Lakers game on the local broadcast. Kobe grabbed sixteen rebounds which was his career high. He had nine assists and easily would've had a TD if his teammates didn't miss a ton of shots.

Lonzo Ball has been rebuilt more times than Grewishka in Alita: Battle Angel.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

DNP: Haunted by ghost of cadaver cartilage donor

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Traxis posted:

DNP: Haunted by ghost of cadaver cartilage donor
Unfortunately it comes from your own body

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
God, that sucks. Announcing in March that he will miss most of NEXT season is just brutal.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
watching that embiid clip has made me appreciate how being extremely tall would be really annoying

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The bulls medical staff have tried bleeding him, they've tried treating Phlegmatic AND choloric humors, the Miasma in the locker room was completely aerated and replaced with the finest vapors of mercury and arsenic. He's been on a strict graham cracker and cocaine diet for months, but sometimes evil spirits get in your bones, what can you do?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Seams posted:

watching that embiid clip has made me appreciate how being extremely tall would be really annoying

I've always thought "if I could get some extra height, I'd want 2" to get me to 6'5". anything more would be inconvenient."

I can't imagine what 6'8" plus is like

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1636501535843667972?s=46

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

drat I wonder how negative his fanduel account is

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The market is about to tank. Michael Jordan wants to get every last dollar he can get before poo poo goes upside down

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1636502076376137729?s=46&t=dl5ETRs5hkb8I7efMrPz9Q

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fate Accomplice posted:

I've always thought "if I could get some extra height, I'd want 2" to get me to 6'5". anything more would be inconvenient."

Wembanyama walking around in an apartment all hunched over

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The last/only one I remember this being done on was pro wrestler Rey Mysterio, who'd had 12 knee surgeries and his knee they were doing it on at the time was just straight-up bone/no cartilage, and he was over fifteen years older than Lonzo is when needing it

There's hope he can still do stuff/obviously come back, but uhhhh yeah this is really not good/he's extremely hosed if he's already in this dire a shape. 25 and just completely shredded a knee in a way you only see in veterans age-wise

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jordan has never seemed to actually enjoy owning a basketball team. Like say whatever about Cuban but the dude is all about his team and what it brings. Give Jordan a billion dollars to play golf, smoke cigars and have expensive steak dinners.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

:(

Retirement time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

God, that sucks. Announcing in March that he will miss most of NEXT season is just brutal.

Reading up on it, it's 90% chance of success and that he's going to be good for 5 years, but by ten years it's basically a coin toss if his knee works.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Lonzo and Brandon Roy going to be sitting in whicker chairs on a porch somewhere swapping war stories.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jack's Flow posted:

They've known for awhile now that he's probably done. They waited to announce he was out for this season after the date they could get an injury exemption because they're cheap. Guessing they'll play that same game next year so they don't have to spend $20 million.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

The bulls medical staff have tried bleeding him, they've tried treating Phlegmatic AND choloric humors, the Miasma in the locker room was completely aerated and replaced with the finest vapors of mercury and arsenic. He's been on a strict graham cracker and cocaine diet for months, but sometimes evil spirits get in your bones, what can you do?

What about enemas and leeches? Are the Bulls too broke to afford those procedures?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Has anyone tried drilling into his knee at a barbershop??

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Seams posted:

Fate Accomplice posted:

mdemone posted:

Wembanyama walking around in an apartment all hunched over

Boots Riley will show us all

https://twitter.com/bootsriley/status/1632831147431587840?s=46&t=onxyh9cLuduaEE8VkMrnMQ

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m going to put a single tiny molecule of “unhealthy knee” in water and make lonzo drink it

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
drat, Lonzo. That sucks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dejan Bimble posted:

The market is about to tank. Michael Jordan wants to get every last dollar he can get before poo poo goes upside down

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1636502076376137729?s=46&t=dl5ETRs5hkb8I7efMrPz9Q

:vince:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Seams posted:

I've talked to multiple euro bigs who take minimum contacts in the nba, making less money than they would back home, just to play in a country which can accommodate a 7 foot human in day to day life.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

Reading up on it, it's 90% chance of success and that he's going to be good for 5 years, but by ten years it's basically a coin toss if his knee works.

Success rate based on what, though? Success in a population of 65+ relatively unathletic people being able to walk and perform old hobbies again? I think any studies done on young athletes is going to have a sample size too small for the results to be meaningful for this procedure. The incidence of this at his age is small.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

Success rate based on what, though? Success in a population of 65+ relatively unathletic people being able to walk and perform old hobbies again? I think any studies done on young athletes is going to have a sample size too small for the results to be meaningful for this procedure. The incidence of this at his age is small.

It seems like it's a fairly new procedure that is focused on total recovery of the joint, if you are overweight or 50+ you are not a viable candidate for the procedure.

It's pretty interesting, the fact they're going to that level to treat Lonzo means other methods aren't working, and this is one of the more extreme options to regain his playing ability. At this level it's either this or a total knee replacement.

https://medicine.missouri.edu/news/study-shows-most-knee-cartilage-transplant-recipients-return-sports-within-two-years

quote:

Stannard and co-author James Cook, DVM, PhD, William & Kathryn Allen Distinguished Chair in Orthopaedic Surgery and director of the Mizzou BioJoint Center, examined data from OCA transplantation cases performed between June 2015 and March 2018 that involved 37 athletes who underwent this specialized surgical procedure for injury or overuse-related cartilage damage in the knee. They found 25 of the patients had returned to sports, with 17 returning to the same or higher level of sport compared with their preinjury level including elite unit military and competitive athletes returning at a significantly higher proportion (100% and 75%, respectively) than recreational athletes. The median time to return to sport was 16 months after OCA transplantation.

“In our study, the majority of high school athletes returned to the same or higher level of sport achieved before injury while recreational athletes only had about a 30% chance of return to the same or higher level sport achieved before injury,” Cook said. “While these realistic expectations for returning to sport must be communicated to patients who are considering OCA transplantation to treat their knee problems, it is important to note that these athletes consistently experienced significant and clinically meaningful improvements in pain, function, physical health and mobility regardless of whether they return to sport or not.”

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 17, 2023

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

Wasn’t there a 6’8” guy here

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

cisneros posted:

I'm 6'6" and can confirm I hit my head on a lot of stuff.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jesus christ, lonzo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I thought lonzo got the worst share of the "son of lavar ball" poo poo that people were tired out on when lamelo came into the league. sad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It was nice having Jordan as an owner if only as a symbolic thing for the league, but I’ll be very happy to see the team change hands. Don’t know if these guys have deeper pockets or are more motivated but at least it spares us from Buzz Petersen: GM

I guess they could potentially move the team but the city just extended the arena lease like two months ago and I doubt that would have agreed to that if the plan was Seattle ASAP

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
On the one hand, I wish I was a bit taller, at least taller than my dad. On the other, being 5'10 170lbs is like the world is built exactly to your specifications.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

It seems like it's a fairly new procedure that is focused on total recovery of the joint, if you are overweight or 50+ you are not a viable candidate for the procedure.

It's pretty interesting, the fact they're going to that level to treat Lonzo means other methods aren't working, and this is one of the more extreme options to regain his playing ability. At this level it's either this or a total knee replacement.

https://medicine.missouri.edu/news/study-shows-most-knee-cartilage-transplant-recipients-return-sports-within-two-years

This is pretty cool. Their definition of competitive/elite is collegiate and high school, so younger and less demanding imo. They also separate it out by the type of procedure, which stratifies risk/recovery. But can only hope these are promising results for Lonzo. I think it's a big risk but the only alternative this guy's got at this point is retiring.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cisneros posted:

6'7" here, it's fine but options are pretty limited for shoes and clothes, long tshirts becoming fashionable was handy
It was worth it for being able to dunk (until I blew up both my achilles)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

cisneros posted:

I have a 6'10" cousin and have seen first-hand how being really tall indoors can just suck

I also went to high school with Igor Vovkovinskiy (RIP), who became famous because a pituitary issue caused him to be 6'8" by the time he was in second grade. He was 7'6" in high school and every once in a while he had to ride the bus I rode home. He seemingly had to bend about halfway over to get on and off the thing and man did I pity him.

He tried to join the basketball team, but the pituitary issue that caused him to grow so fast left his bones so weak that he had stress fractures in both feet after one practice.

dokmo posted:

I've talked to multiple euro bigs who take minimum contacts in the nba, making less money than they would back home, just to play in a country which can accommodate a 7 foot human in day to day life.

Living in old European cities is not for anyone who is either very tall or even remotely claustrophobic. I did the stair climb to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral in London once, and because it was built so long ago when people were so much shorter I had to bend over a bit during parts of it even though I'm 5'11" in shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress MJ as an nba team owner, he was the definition of a bad owner who was also a gigantic anti-labor hypocrite who the instant he crossed over to the other side of the player/owner dynamic did everything in his power to gently caress over players using the exact logic he hated and argued against as a player. Talk about pulling up the loving ladder from behind you, what a loving prick.

Even pushing all his poo poo labor practices aside you just look at his record as an owner and by any measurable metric he was garbage and terrible for the league. He never spent to nurture, recruit, or retain talent. Like, I remember looking up the hornets’ seasonal w-l record and what stuck out to me even worse than having only 3 of his seasons having winning records is that none of them are consecutive. What’s even more damning than being bad is being inconsistently good, because it means that on a fundamental, structural level the hornets organization - the one led by Michael Jordan himself and is the one element he has complete control over - has no idea how to on an organizational level put out a talented nba team. Especially when you consider the “strength” of their winning seasons - two of them are 43-39 records - that to me speaks of numerous times a losing season was averted because of a couple of lucky plays, or a last-second buzzer beater, or generous call from the refs - things that cannot be relied upon to deliver consistent success and just boiled down to a couple of generous coin flips.

It also just makes the follow up seasons to their winning seasons sting all the more. Going from a 48-34 record - actually really good and says that you’re a legitimate threat in the postseason - to 36-46, where you’re just a terrible and forgettable team headed for the lottery but not even consistently bad where you’re likely to shake things up with your draft luck - it just speaks to complete organizational ineptitude. They pretty much always tried to put out a competitive product every year which meant that they were usually bad, but never bad enough, and the few times they actually had a winning record at the end of a season (usually due to luck, I would guess), they had no way to build on the inertia and immediately swan dove back in the basement. All this is to say that gently caress Jordan and considering the Hornets have a very very good shot at drafting Wemby this year I didn’t want MJ’s grubby loving paws anywhere near this team in that eventuality. Sell the team Jordan.