Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nice Van My Man posted:

My dad never played any games but then got really into Warcraft 2 and Starcraft and would just play the single player for hours. Never played the multiplayer. Warcraft 3 came out and he thought it sucked and it broke his addiction. He was right IMO.

Warcraft single player was a big disappointment after how fun Warcraft 2 and Starcrafts were for sure, too many guide the hero through the maze with a couple units levels and loot and gently caress you I just want Warcraft 2 ancient RTS gameplay with better graphics dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty is still the pinnacle of RTS gaming, its campaign is a gold standard that makes its own expansions feel like lovely knock offs.

Buy all your dads a gift, is what I'm saying.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

my dad has a 3070 while i'm still on a 1050ti, he can buy me a gift

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I kinda wanna play a competitive RTS but I don't even know what's big these days, is it still Starcraft 2 or are there other options?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
AOE2: DE is pretty active, and also a good game. edit: and currently on sale on steam.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

There's still big SC2 tournaments but it seems like that genre is getting more niche since it doesn't fit the typical AAA/esports or long term games with in game purchases like fortnite, roblox or genshin.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

You want competitive action per minutes poo poo? Moba's and FPS games are better for that.

You want to be a big brained strategic genius? Turn based games and 4x games are better for that.

I liked them and still have fun playing them but it's hard to imagine them ever being a big "thing" again

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You definitely don't need to like football to like Sensible Soccer. Most people of a certain age range still consider it the best SPÅRT BÅLL computer video game of all time.

Yeah, so true. Also, for some reason you saying this reminded me that Speedball 2 existed, which was oddly similar, thinking about it.

I wanna play Speedball now.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
My dad was apparently really into Pac Man in the 80s but nothing much outside of that. I had I believe one of the NBA2k games on Dreamcast and made a custom team full of maxed out height players and challenged my dad a few times and always destroyed him, but he was always a good sport about it. I also remember playing Ready 2 Rumble with my grandparents once randomly and my grandma actually had a good time.

I had one of the Tiger Woods games on GameCube and my dad got SUPER into it and basically 100% it with his custom character.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I could tolerate the hentai but now Steam is showing me straight up racist poo poo (Elden Bling) now

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

!Klams posted:

Yeah, so true. Also, for some reason you saying this reminded me that Speedball 2 existed, which was oddly similar, thinking about it.

I wanna play Speedball now.

Speedball 2 loving rules and it's incredible that there hasn't been anything better in the genre in 33 years. Deathrow is the only game that even came close and that came out over 20 years ago.

They did that horrible Speedball 2 remake on the 360 and oh god it loving sucked so hard. Thankfully it included classic mode so you could play the good version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PinheadSlim posted:

Oooh this brought back a funny memory.

I was watching my little brother play some wrestling game for the N64 with our cousin. Said cousin had a habit of turning off consoles if he was losing. Well as usual he starts losing, but instead of turning off the console he unplugs my brothers controller and smacks him with the cable. My brother who has never been in a real fight in his life before or after this, threw his controller in our cousins face so hard it shattered.

They were really little when this happened, it was so funny lol

what the gently caress kind of gorilla do you have in your family tree that your little kid brother could shatter a guddamn n64 controller

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty is still the pinnacle of RTS gaming, its campaign is a gold standard that makes its own expansions feel like lovely knock offs.

It wasn't the best RTS ever but I did really like the Wings of Liberty campaign

The coop multiplayer mode has the same level of care, they put some real thought into the commanders and most of the maps are really fun. Or at least they were fun 2 years ago when I was playing, no idea what it's like now. One of the commanders was a short little lizard who you could control like a Warcraft 3 hero, but every time he leveled he got bigger so by the time you hit the level cap he was basically Godzilla stomping around spraying fire breath on everything. He could also eat enemy units like a Yoshi

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fur20 posted:

what the gently caress kind of gorilla do you have in your family tree that your little kid brother could shatter a guddamn n64 controller

He's the short one for our family (as far as the men are concerned) at 6'2 so lol yeah

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wario is better than Mario because Mario is a sexless weirdo while Wario definitely fucks, dude spends every day slamming rear end all across town

Also unlike Mario, Wario would never trick his brother into becoming a professional housecleaner

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Who does wario gently caress? The toadstool people? I don't see any female warios running around

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Who does wario gently caress? The toadstool people? I don't see any female warios running around

Waluigi obviously

also Birdo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Weach.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think it's established who 9-Volt's dad is in the Warioware series, but his mother is single and Wario is always kinda around so you do the math.

Edit: According to the Wario fandom wiki, Mona has a crush on him "due to his nose for treasure and money." Apparently sometimes she even dresses like him. She's also a high schooler so... yeah.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 17, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

!Klams posted:

Yeah, so true. Also, for some reason you saying this reminded me that Speedball 2 existed

Sadly John Belushi never go to experience the sequel.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Devils Affricate posted:

samus

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Gwely Mernans posted:

My dad was apparently really into Pac Man in the 80s but nothing much outside of that. I had I believe one of the NBA2k games on Dreamcast and made a custom team full of maxed out height players and challenged my dad a few times and always destroyed him, but he was always a good sport about it. I also remember playing Ready 2 Rumble with my grandparents once randomly and my grandma actually had a good time.

I had one of the Tiger Woods games on GameCube and my dad got SUPER into it and basically 100% it with his custom character.

My dad used to be one of those "em viddyo gams make ppl violent" sorts but later discovered RTSes and got hooked on them. He likes playing Starcraft, AoE, and AoM the most. He also likes the occasional dose of classic gaming from out of the 80s and 90s.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Captain Syrup. Their battles in Wario land 1 and 2 are all just elaborate role play scenarios

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Mega Buster ruined Megaman. It caused runaway health inflation that screwed up the finely tuned gameplay. Either making everything take too long or too fast, with the added caveat of having to hold down the charge button literally the entire game because there is no reason to ever not have a full charge whenever possible. It's no surprise 1-3 and 9 are so much better and beloved than the rest of the Classic Series.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Sadly John Belushi never go to experience the sequel.

John Belushi never got to experience Final Fantasy X and that's a tragedy

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

jokes posted:

John Belushi never got to experience Final Fantasy X and that's a tragedy

Lighting a candle tonight so Belushi might experience the KH1 intro before the abyss takes him

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

He got a prophetic look at what passes for jokes in 2023 and poo poo stopped his heart faster than any speedball.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

John Belushi was shown anime for the first time 2 days before he died

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

galagazombie posted:

The Mega Buster ruined Megaman. It caused runaway health inflation that screwed up the finely tuned gameplay. Either making everything take too long or too fast, with the added caveat of having to hold down the charge button literally the entire game because there is no reason to ever not have a full charge whenever possible. It's no surprise 1-3 and 9 are so much better and beloved than the rest of the Classic Series.

If you are going to have a charge beam in your game, it should auto-charge when you aren’t firing like that pistol Samus has at the end of Zero Mission.

It shouldn’t make any sound while charging, but it could have a small sound effect or rumble to tell you when it’s fully charged. Holding down the shoot button would rapid fire.

At least Mega Man X let you charge all your weapons, not just the mega buster (or X buster?). You want players to actually use all the weapons you put in the game instead of having the default one be the best option in most scenarios

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
mega man x screwed up by having all the special weapon charge attacks suck rear end though

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

John Belushi would probably still be alive today if his cousin Marvin Belushi had called him excitedly about hearing Simple & Clean by Hikaru Utada instead of New York’s Alright If You Like Saxophones by FEAR.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Serephina posted:

I hate to nit-pick but you are wrong here on a technicality

Wings of Liberty was brilliant at the time and is the best single player campaign of the three SC2 campaigns. Legacy of the void, the 3rd expansion changed the multiplayer by starting you off with 12 workers instead of 6. It completely changed the pace of the game.

Starcraft 2 is still the best multiplayer RTS there is, I could never really get into Brood War although I was too young to really grasp what the game wanted at the time, Warcraft 3 is a fantastic game but again I just didn't ever try to learn how to play it I'd just go Archmage mass sniper every single game - I could only win with Humans.

Stormgate has got a lot of promise and will hopefully be worth the wait but SC2 is still a fantastic game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I hate to nit-pick but you are wrong here on a technicality

Wings of Liberty was brilliant at the time and is the best single player campaign of the three SC2 campaigns. Legacy of the void, the 3rd expansion changed the multiplayer by starting you off with 12 workers instead of 6. It completely changed the pace of the game.

Starcraft 2 is still the best multiplayer RTS there is, I could never really get into Brood War although I was too young to really grasp what the game wanted at the time, Warcraft 3 is a fantastic game but again I just didn't ever try to learn how to play it I'd just go Archmage mass sniper every single game - I could only win with Humans.

Stormgate has got a lot of promise and will hopefully be worth the wait but SC2 is still a fantastic game

Oh I'll argue with you on this one!

I mean yes I was referring to the single player, Wings of Liberty is such a *chefs kiss* accomplishment. And sc2 multi is currently much better than any WoL patch, for sure.

But starting with 12 workers and extra supply? Them's fightin' words. At the price of speeding up the game by just over a minute, it cuts out almost the entire early game! There's a lot of variation of early pools, rax-first etc, but even without super aggressive builds the minute-long skip removes any ability to get across the map and interact with your opponent before economies really take off. What if you wanted to scout on 10? Nope! Send a fast zealot to muck up their wallin? Nope! So on so forth.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I love the single player campaigns of WC3 and SC2. I've never played the multiplayer, I never got into WoW, but I think Blizzard tells a really fun story with both of those games

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
That's not true, I got WAY into the WC3 multiplayer but it was all custom Lord of the Rings maps.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Age of Empires 2's 10 minutes of nothing at the beginning is an awful component of its multiplayer games and the defenses of it are really laughable like "well, the commentators get to spend 10 minutes talking about both players". I know there's like a 1% chance someone could try dark age shenanigans, but it rarely happens among decent players.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Don't need to reach for AoE for comparisons, Sc1 is still being played competitively with worker harass and zealot+probe pressure. Sc2 itself had a lot of one-base play before LotV, so we don't even need to dip into the hypothetical: the LotV changes came at a real, discernable cost. I don't like it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

is it just me or is the epic games launcher suddenly starting up a lot quicker for anyone else? that poo poo used to take like almost 2 mins to properly open and show my library but after an update yesterday it opens almost as quickly as steam. might actually play some of the free games now it's less of a pain in the bum.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Wings of Liberty may be good but it easily takes the crown for laziest most clichéd title and I can't believe they didn't beat the guy who came up with it with a sack of oranges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Wings of Liberty may be good but it easily takes the crown for laziest most clichéd title and I can't believe they didn't beat the guy who came up with it with a sack of oranges

IDK stuff like Dungeon Hack and Dungeon Siege had equally lame and cliched titles but Dungeon Siege 2 was at least one of the high watermarks of the ARPG genre of its time
I'm still salty that the series is dead.