Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Seems like Edmunds will be the Mike. Thought they might use him as the Will. Not really a big deal these days as they move guys around in passing situations. But a little surprising.

https://twitter.com/CHGO_Bears/status/1636411920445063193

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

This could be good. I thought he was good when he was with the Lions. No idea how he did with the Broncos.

I was just making a dumb joke about Jimmy Graham coming out of retirement

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

Seems like Edmunds will be the Mike. Thought they might use him as the Will. Not really a big deal these days as they move guys around in passing situations. But a little surprising.

https://twitter.com/CHGO_Bears/status/1636411920445063193

Edmunds thing is the same thing people said about Urlacher(he doesn't make enough plays on the ball), while he's like completely shutting down the intermediate to deep center of the field.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The Lions FA has been a bit nuts. Especially considering how many picks they have in the draft.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Edmunds thing is the same thing people said about Urlacher(he doesn't make enough plays on the ball), while he's like completely shutting down the intermediate to deep center of the field.

They aren't playing the same defense they did when Urlacher was around. Safeties aren't splitting. It's just not as important as it was.

The Will is the guy who has to cover the running back in man coverage and the slot receiver crossing over the middle. It's way more important.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Scipiotik posted:

The Lions FA has been a bit nuts. Especially considering how many picks they have in the draft.

Before last year the Lions had one of the worst group of offensive skill position players.

Last year the Lions had the worst secondary.

There's a chance Brad flips another whole group... again.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I was just making a dumb joke about Jimmy Graham coming out of retirement

It was exactly what i was thinking before the tweet loaded fully. I was fearful for a moment.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I had totally forgotten about the Jimmy Graham experience. Pace was such a weird GM.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/heykayadams/status/1636446553492815873?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Pace was such a loving terrible GM.

Fixed.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

quote:

“I would say this is debatable, but I’m debatably the best player in franchise history,” Rodgers said on the show. “I’m in the conversation for sure.

“What’s not debatable is I’m the longest-tenured Packer in history. You can debate the first part, obviously, Bart (Starr), Brett (Favre), a number of names have been incredible. But you can’t debate that anybody has been there longer than I have. And nobody has bled green and gold like me.”

/
:smug:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

This could be good. I thought he was good when he was with the Lions. No idea how he did with the Broncos.

I think he was injured for most of it. I liked him though and he got done dirty by the previous regime, so it's nice to see him back.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

I had totally forgotten about the Jimmy Graham experience. Pace was such a weird GM.

how dare you

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1348437898035658752

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Pace got us Fields. I will forgive him the rest of his tenure because he got us here.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Sorry Mangles

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1636473380307103746

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EPM3ftVS1w

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Jets kinda have to send a haul to Green Bay. Imagine Aaron’s ego if the Jets don’t think he’s worth at least a 1st round pick.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Pops Mgee posted:

Jets kinda have to send a haul to Green Bay. Imagine Aaron’s ego if the Jets don’t think he’s worth at least a 1st round pick.

Would be nice. But the Packers have bungled this pretty badly from a leverage standpoint in so many ways.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
It would be an awful situation, but after the contact restructures they’ve done already, I think the Packers have the cap space to just sit on it if they don’t feel like they’re getting the compensation they want. That and the expectations of New York fans who have been told they’re getting a QB are all of the leverage the Packers have.

I don’t want to imagine a world where Gutey makes them start Love over his very expensive and disgruntled backup.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Wollawolla posted:

I don’t want to imagine a world where Gutey makes them start Love over his very expensive and disgruntled backup.

I do. Inject this into my veins.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Bears signed Immense Rob

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Once they draft Evan Hull I'll be ok.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sataere posted:

Same

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Sataere posted:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

How much of the wishlist have the Jets already picked up? Would be hilarious if he didn’t go.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
As much as i want rodgers gone. The comedy option is definitely a sulking rodgers on the bench and the packers spending the most ever on a backup qb.

E: and the jets get a long run in the playoffs with lazard and not rodgers.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 17, 2023

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Two more good pickups for the Bears:
https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/1636512956824313857?s=20

I can't really complain about any of the "second wave" free agents Poles has signed so far.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Jesus Christ packers, do something.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Did you really expect the Packers to be active in FA given their cap? They got Nixon back and got a new long snapper. A whatever vet safety and TE is all I would expect later at some point probably. Now it’s just wait out the Jets until the NY media gets to Woody Johnson.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Abugadu posted:

Would be nice. But the Packers have bungled this pretty badly from a leverage standpoint in so many ways.

No they haven't. Not in the least. They got Rodgers to come out and openly and strongly declare he wants to be a Jet. The team has the entire off-season to make the Jets sweat that they might miss out on this opportunity and eat an incredible amount of blowback for being too cheap to go get a Hall of Fame QB when they had a roster otherwise capable of going to the AFCCG for want of a QB.

What's Rodgers going to do? Whine? Ignorable. Retire? Ok, great, the team can move on. Try to force himself onto the team for 2023? He doesn't have a no-trade clause, the Packers can Osweiler him to a team with a ton of cap space for like a 6th or something. What's he gonna do in THAT case? Retire?

All it takes is for Gutekunst to sit ice-cold.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Jesus Christ packers, do something.

First time? Let me help you fellow poster for the Green Bay Packers OffSeason

1. Lose in a playoff game, probably due to a defensive shitshow and/or ST breakdown (optional)
2. Fans Beg to fire the DC and/or head coach
3. Listen to Rodgers "subtly" hint he wants to retire, gently caress clay, and/or leave for another team.
4. Do nothing in free agency outside some vet bare minimum contracts.
5. Draft SPARQ defensive guys in the first few rounds
6. Rodgers unsubtly points out they havent drafted anyone to help
7. Offseason camp reports about how TOUGH the defense is and how IN TOUCH rodgers is with his receivers
8. lose in a playoff game, probably due to a defensive shitshow and/or ST breakdown

I hope this helps

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

No they haven't. Not in the least. They got Rodgers to come out and openly and strongly declare he wants to be a Jet. The team has the entire off-season to make the Jets sweat that they might miss out on this opportunity and eat an incredible amount of blowback for being too cheap to go get a Hall of Fame QB when they had a roster otherwise capable of going to the AFCCG for want of a QB.

What's Rodgers going to do? Whine? Ignorable. Retire? Ok, great, the team can move on. Try to force himself onto the team for 2023? He doesn't have a no-trade clause, the Packers can Osweiler him to a team with a ton of cap space for like a 6th or something. What's he gonna do in THAT case? Retire?

All it takes is for Gutekunst to sit ice-cold.

Also per OTC if they wait till after june 1st I think they save $15 mil in dead money / cap hits soooo

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nobody is trading for Rodgers other than the Jets. They can’t just ship him off for some low pick to a poo poo team because nobody is taking on that contract if he doesn’t want to play there. Why do you think the Packers only have one suitor?

Their options are trade him to the Jets, he retires and they get nothing and eat a big dead cap charge immediately, or he doesn’t retire, they get nothing, and are forced to pay him an extra 60m to sit on the bench while Jordan Love struggles.

adaz posted:

Also per OTC if they wait till after june 1st I think they save $15 mil in dead money / cap hits soooo

Well, they still have to pay it, they just get to split the cap hit over two years. But even if the trade itself is executed then both sides surely want a trade in principle agreed to well before that.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 17, 2023

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Seems like the options are he stays and GB loses a gently caress ton of money, he retires and GB loses a gently caress ton of money, or they trade him and GB loses 1/2 gently caress ton of money?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Seems like the options are he stays and GB loses a gently caress ton of money, he retires and GB loses a gently caress ton of money, or they trade him and GB loses 1/2 gently caress ton of money?

And the Packers are over here going "give us more for this guy everyone knows will never play for us."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol can't say I'm excited about D'Onta Foreman moving into the division after the rear end whipping he laid on the Lions last season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MJeff posted:

lol can't say I'm excited about D'Onta Foreman moving into the division after the rear end whipping he laid on the Lions last season.

Oh I forgot about that. Now I feel better about the signing.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

adaz posted:

I’m fairly certain GB would much rather have ‘23 picks than ‘24 picks. Presumably this year’s first is going to be better than next year’s Jets pick. This probably gets done before the draft.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nobody is trading for Rodgers other than the Jets. They can’t just ship him off for some low pick to a poo poo team because nobody is taking on that contract if he doesn’t want to play there. Why do you think the Packers only have one suitor?

That's not the point, the point is that the Packers have that option, and if the Jets don't offer enough the Packers can threaten to go full scorched earth.

Rodgers declaring he wants to be a Jet didn't eliminate Green Bay's leverage, it actually maximized it. Put yourself in New Jersey's shoes for a moment, you have a Hall of Fame QB saying he wants to go to your team and take you to your best shot of a Super Bowl since the Namath days. What price are you willing to pay? And what happens if you go "That's too expensive"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Why aren’t the Colts in the Rodgers sweepstakes?