Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1636466137863954440

Swine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Just call it "Societal Collapse Relief Aid" and make it permanent.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Speaking of the middle-class refund, it shown up on my informed delivery after long moving out of California, didn't arrive, shown again with a sticker " unable to fwd/for review".
It seems USPS thinks it was fraud with someone out of state stealing identity or something, now I am on hold with the prepaid scam card line for half hour now to get it reissued, lmao it's been almost a year. why didn't they just direct deposit to the account that never changed?????

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
There were a number of factors that made it direct deposit vs. debit card, somehow you must have triggered one of those and got kicked into the debit card category. It wasn't just if you changed bank accounts, it was also if you owed state taxes in 2020, used a tax preparer, claimed tax preparation deduction in 2021, used a tax preparer in 2021 and got an advance payment tax refund, filed by paper in 2020, or got a Golden State Stimulus in 2020 or GSS2 in 2021 and got that by check, then you were supposed to be kicked into the debit card

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

fermun posted:

There were a number of factors that made it direct deposit vs. debit card, somehow you must have triggered one of those and got kicked into the debit card category. It wasn't just if you changed bank accounts, it was also if you owed state taxes in 2020, used a tax preparer, claimed tax preparation deduction in 2021, used a tax preparer in 2021 and got an advance payment tax refund, filed by paper in 2020, or got a Golden State Stimulus in 2020 or GSS2 in 2021 and got that by check, then you were supposed to be kicked into the debit card

None of those apply, the person that I called that transferred me to "escalations" didn't notice they were closing after 5 pm so I was on hold for no one to pick up, like I think whenever I try dealing with this, I get several years older on how complicated they made it out of sadism I guess.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Money Network loving sucks and if I didn’t work from home I probably would never have had time to hound them endlessly for my wife’s card

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fermun posted:

I did none of these things and they still sent me the card, so :shrug:

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Same. I met all the requirements for direct deposit and got a card. I assumed it was a kick back from the bank, in exchange for fees and remainders on cards.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
after waiting 100 minutes on hold for an "escalation" someone answers and the hold music keeps playing so she complains about it and says she will hang up but not worry it will reconnect right away back, it didn't and the music kept playing.

just lol like what the gently caress california this all has to be some hosed up joke to make people give up

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
4 hours later a nice soul at money network after the last one hung up when she couldn't be bothered to listen to me spell my name finally reissued my card and sent it priority with tracking

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Proposal to ban certain chemicals in some candies and the video even mentions some Campbells soups.
Not a ban on the candies, just chemicals that other countries have already banned that have links to cancer and other health problems.

"In 2016, parent company Mars Inc. promised to phase out the chemical from its candies. Mars Inc. did not return SFGATE's request for comment in time for publication. "
"One of these chemicals is titanium dioxide, which is listed as an ingredient in Skittles on the candy brand's website. "

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/california-ban-skittles-bill-17850347.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4894oURmJs

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 21, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I kept getting served outrage stories from NY Post and Fox News about CALIFORNIA MOVES TO BAN SKITTLES and I finally searched it in an incognito window assuming it was something like this and it was. I don't think we need titanium dioxide in everything to make sure the artificial colors are as bright as possible. It's fine.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Idgaf unless newsom bans plastic packaging or something

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hell yeah, brominated vegetable oil on the list. Gonna get that EU Mountain Dew

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

OgNar posted:

Proposal to ban certain chemicals in some candies and the video even mentions some Campbells soups.
Not a ban on the candies, just chemicals that other countries have already banned that have links to cancer and other health problems.

"In 2016, parent company Mars Inc. promised to phase out the chemical from its candies. Mars Inc. did not return SFGATE's request for comment in time for publication. "
"One of these chemicals is titanium dioxide, which is listed as an ingredient in Skittles on the candy brand's website. "

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/california-ban-skittles-bill-17850347.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4894oURmJs

Taste the loving rainbow I guess. Love that SF Gate doesn’t list all 5 chemicals.

In case anyone else was also curious:

https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news-release/2023/02/landmark-bill-would-protect-californians-harmful-additives-food

Probably should swear off anything that Mars makes in light of this.

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 21, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The only candy anyone needs is Nerds Gummy Clusters anyway

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

About 30 or so years ago there was a red dye banned that I seem to recall was from food.
But looking it up now it was only banned from makeup products but was still left in use for foods.

"“This dye, a known carcinogen, is already banned in cosmetics. Yet the FDA still allows it in food products – many of which are marketed to children, including candy and junk food."

Looks like they are still trying to ban it.
https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2023/01/consumer-reports-petitions-fda-to-ban-red-dye-no-3-the-artificial-color-in-food/

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If only they would ban yellow #5 so my penis could finally recover

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

OgNar posted:

About 30 or so years ago there was a red dye banned that I seem to recall was from food.
But looking it up now it was only banned from makeup products but was still left in use for foods.

"“This dye, a known carcinogen, is already banned in cosmetics. Yet the FDA still allows it in food products – many of which are marketed to children, including candy and junk food."

Looks like they are still trying to ban it.
https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2023/01/consumer-reports-petitions-fda-to-ban-red-dye-no-3-the-artificial-color-in-food/

Pretty interesting to learn that the fda is specifically useless as a regulatory agency, even compared to other American regulatory bodies - talk about a low bar.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I remember reading all that poo poo about processed meat products being pretty much just literally poison that’s banned everywhere else in the world lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Smythe posted:

Pretty interesting to learn that the fda is specifically useless as a regulatory agency, even compared to other American regulatory bodies - talk about a low bar.
I read a good in depth article a couple of weeks back. Turns out that the senior leadership of the FDA only cares about drugs and directs most of the funding there. There are rumors of fixing that, but :shrug:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I read a good in depth article a couple of weeks back. Turns out that the senior leadership of the FDA only cares about drugs and directs most of the funding there. There are rumors of fixing that, but :shrug:

Yeah, you don't gently caress with the FDA if you're in the medical industry. They do have teeth, and dealing with warning letters and the like is very expensive and very much nontrivial for the company and its employees.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

CPColin posted:

If only they would ban yellow #5 so my penis could finally recover

I was impressed when I found out Pringles uses turmeric as their yellow dye. A yellow coloring that is actually health promoting.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I knew pringles were healthy and good for me

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, you don't gently caress with the FDA if you're in the medical industry. They do have teeth, and dealing with warning letters and the like is very expensive and very much nontrivial for the company and its employees.

I work for a biotech that produces medicines and the FDA is definitely all up in our junk. Good thing our GMP people take that as a challenge, not a problem.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I know this ain’t politics or anything, but uh. No one got caught in any floods, tornadoes, or hurricanes, yeah?
https://twitter.com/fleur_de_lis13/status/1638619420447879168?s=46&t=zYOfdFLnljdg7xi72cxL5w

Are we allowed to call them that? Is it only a tornado if it comes from the tornado region of … Kentucky?

To bring it to politics: what the hell can we do to prepare for more storms like this? Things are only going to get worse, so uh maybe we should spend some of that rainy day fund on fixing things that’ll make going through this easier…

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I know this ain’t politics or anything, but uh. No one got caught in any floods, tornadoes, or hurricanes, yeah?
https://twitter.com/fleur_de_lis13/status/1638619420447879168?s=46&t=zYOfdFLnljdg7xi72cxL5w

Are we allowed to call them that? Is it only a tornado if it comes from the tornado region of … Kentucky?

To bring it to politics: what the hell can we do to prepare for more storms like this? Things are only going to get worse, so uh maybe we should spend some of that rainy day fund on fixing things that’ll make going through this easier…

I mean, there's not going to be much we can do to prevent climate change weather or mitigate it

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Correct, otherwise it's just sparkling whirlwind.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Not storms specifically, but mitigating the effects of climate change on California would involve spending massive amounts on dense housing in places that aren't likely to burn down or run out of water, for climate refugees and others. With good light rail support, so the impacts of higher oil prices don't render those homes unlivable due to transportation expenses. Storms specifically are building codes to deal with winds, and luck, because tornado will gently caress poo poo up no matter what.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

For tornadoes specifically, it is too expensive to build lowrise buildings to survive a low probability tornado hit.

In tornado areas, you build shelters for people to hide in during the storm, then insure buildings to pay for rebuilding them afterwards.

Tornadoes are different from things like hurricanes or earthquakes because damage is more intense, but localized. Buildings hit directly can be totaled while a block away they're undamaged. It's much easier to do insurance

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

jetz0r posted:

in places that aren't likely to burn down or run out of water

I've got some bad news for you

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjIpu3yHO2k
https://abc7.com/temecula-valley-unified-critical-race-theory-workshop-meeting/13010152/

"Chaos erupted at a Temecula Valley Unified School District meeting Wednesday night as audience members clashed over the board's decision to hire an anti-critical race theory consultant.
The consultant was paid $15,000 of tax-payer money, which some people took issue with since critical race theory isn't taught in the Temecula Valley Unified School District."
"The board in December voted 3-2 in favor of a resolution banning critical race theory, also known at CRT, in the district's K-12 curriculum."

When a black guy got up to the mic to express his dissatisfaction a woman yelled at him to "get out of the country".

"When I turned to my left, all I see is this tall white man standing over this small young Black girl," he said. "That's when I grabbed his shoulder, and stood between the young lady and the man, and let him know, you don't stand over a child like this."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Look it's not enough that we're already racist. We gotta spend money to bring in a consultant who will help us get EVEN MORE racist!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gotta spend money to make sure I'm not racist against the white people

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

OgNar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjIpu3yHO2k
https://abc7.com/temecula-valley-unified-critical-race-theory-workshop-meeting/13010152/

"Chaos erupted at a Temecula Valley Unified School District meeting Wednesday night as audience members clashed over the board's decision to hire an anti-critical race theory consultant.
The consultant was paid $15,000 of tax-payer money, which some people took issue with since critical race theory isn't taught in the Temecula Valley Unified School District."
"The board in December voted 3-2 in favor of a resolution banning critical race theory, also known at CRT, in the district's K-12 curriculum."
This is some top level grift here. Probably met them at a conference or political party event handing out business cards and hitting up these small towns for $15k a pop.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
it’s been raining a lot lately so climate change is OVER

https://sfist.com/2023/03/25/gov-newsom-revoked-majority-of-drought-emergency-measures-friday-but-stopped-short-of-declaring-end-of-drought/

why are liberal democrats so stupid

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1640423514887864323

Thread title accurate

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I think it's safe to say that Gavin firmly has his eyes on higher aspirations than the state of California at this point. Easing of drought restrictions after one wet winter loving us over in a couple years isn't really his concern, but being able to say that he navigated the state through a historic drought well enough that he was able to walk back most of his water restrictions is a gold star in his resume for POTUS/Senator/insert cabinet position here.

BeAuMaN posted:

This is some top level grift here. Probably met them at a conference or political party event handing out business cards and hitting up these small towns for $15k a pop.

Oh yeah, I bet it's a phenomenal way to make money in red counties. Hit up local politicians just as they start thinking about re-election and for a measly $15K they'll come and give a fancy presentation and write you a nice report about how your local government is infested by the WOKE MOB.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Goddamn I wish I put "Blast Corps LARP" on my 2023 bingo card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jaxyon posted:

Thread title accurate

Um excuse me, but the ISO standard for what derail speed counts as "high" clearly states…