Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Brawnfire posted:

poo poo, I forgot about travois, I upgraded my trading post a while back and haven't seen any since.

Travois was a word that I assumed was in much wider use than it turned out to be. I find I still drop this word when describing something hauled in this manner and nobody knows what the gently caress I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I guess the Ojibwe people never had to refer to horses quickly

Ojibwe leans in hard on agglutination.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

credburn posted:

Travois was a word that I assumed was in much wider use than it turned out to be. I find I still drop this word when describing something hauled in this manner and nobody knows what the gently caress I'm talking about.

I know it's a product of the limited resolution but that looks for all the world like an upsized dachshund and the idea of wiener dog cargo haulers is making me laugh like a maniac.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I know it's a product of the limited resolution but that looks for all the world like an upsized dachshund and the idea of wiener dog cargo haulers is making me laugh like a maniac.

Their rear end wiggling at full speed and the travois wiggling behind them

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Good thing I chose a sedentary lifestyle, don't want to get the ol' brain bleeds

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I just thought this was neat

Xelkelvos has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Mar 17, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Xelkelvos posted:

lmao at that Game of Thrones outlier.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It looks like Big Bang Theory was aggressively hatewatched in the first season and then from s2 onwards only the kind of person who likes big bang theory bothered to watch it. This also implies there might be a group of dedicated ashton kutcher haters who kept watching two and a half men in a rage for four seasons. I would at least hope that after twenty years of disappointment the original Simpsons fans aren't still watching it and it's a whole new generation of disappointed TV watchers getting mad about it online

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Falathrim posted:

Ojibwe leans in hard on agglutination.

Did you know the Ojibwe have a single word meaning "Ojibwe leans in hard on agglutination"? I think we can conclude a lot about their society from this

Platystemon posted:

Related etymology that sounds too silly to be true:

To the Greeks, giraffes are just leopard-print camels, or kamelopardalis.

There's a wonderful little bird here in Australia called the pardalote, which just means spotted. But then a really spotted kind was discovered, which was named the spotted pardalote. So the spotted spotted.
They are quite hard to spot.

(And then there is a southern variant called the forty-spotted pardalote, which is a delightfully specific name)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Xelkelvos posted:

What happened to Two and a Half Men for such a sudden nosedive?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lost a man

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

charlie sheen had a mental health episode and was replaced with ashton kutcher

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charlie Sheen did enough cocaine to kill two and a half men.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Then it ended with them dropping a piano on a fake Charlie Sheen and Chuck Lorre saying "winning" to the camera (before a second piano falls on him).

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

curious about long running tv series i googled "longest running tv series" and Google helpfully told me that Columbo wins out in "TV programs/Maximal/Running time" at 2 hours

thanks, google

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm surprised at South Park's gradient -- I thought they fell out way earlier.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

credburn posted:

I'm surprised at South Park's gradient -- I thought they fell out way earlier.

The moment a cable tv show stopped picking up new teenage viewers likely in no small part because it was on cable

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

Charlie Sheen did enough cocaine to kill two and a half men.

This was immediately after he found out he was HIV positive. Or maybe right before? I can't remember and both would kinda make sense.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Angepain posted:

curious about long running tv series i googled "longest running tv series" and Google helpfully told me that Columbo wins out in "TV programs/Maximal/Running time" at 2 hours

thanks, google

Columbo's first pilot was in 1968 and its final episode aired in 2003.

It's not a bad guess.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I’d like to see if someone did the chart-work for all sixteen hundred episodes of Monday Night Raw. Or even better, all ten thousand episodes of Coronation Street.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Xelkelvos posted:

Thought for sure Cheers would be higher than 7.5-8. I'd definitely rank it higher than Friends, HIMYM, or The Office.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Angepain posted:

thanks, google

Coronation Street started in 1960 and is still airing. They did their 10,000th episode in 2020.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Xelkelvos posted:

sketchy colour scheme, imo. compare the difference between e.g. 7.4 and 7.7 vs 8.0 and 8.3. i think this makes some slow declines look a lot more sudden (like bob's burgers, which changes hue suddenly)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Tobermory posted:

Coronation Street started in 1960 and is still airing. They did their 10,000th episode in 2020.

If soap operas count, General Hospital and Guiding Light are both over 15,000 episodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So 2022 is the worst season across the board

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tunicate posted:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

there's some bias here in that it only includes shows that are already long running, so presumably there may well be some long running hit shows that are just in their early good period before getting beaten to death over fifteen seasons. Except the ones on Netflix which will all get canned after 1-3 seasons regardless of quality

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

My sibling just sent me this

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

With how much water will be consumed by me frantically cleaning every sink I'm forced to use, I'd call it a wash

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Does he know that you can just refrain from flushing the toilet until it is full enough to be economical to flush? German hippies have been doing that for decades.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Does he know that you can just refrain from flushing the toilet until it is full enough to be economical to flush? German hippies have been doing that for decades.

Edit: my sibling is what happens when someone very nerdy in their mid thirties loves forums but never came to SA

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When I was in high school hanging out in my basement with buddies, we used to pee in the laundry basin sinks. We just didn't want to go upstairs and wake my folks; we didn't know we were saving the world at the time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://twitter.com/goodreddit/status/1633299694930493441?s=46

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does anyone under the age of sixty fill and use the basin for daily ablutions?

I know that people used to rinse razors and such in standing water, and like plane lavatories have signs asking you to wipe down the basin after use, but it’s always been gross. Use running water from the faucet.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Use running water from the faucet.

get a load of rich uncle pennybags over here

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Does anyone under the age of sixty fill and use the basin for daily ablutions?

I know that people used to rinse razors and such in standing water, and like plane lavatories have signs asking you to wipe down the basin after use, but it’s always been gross. Use running water from the faucet.

I do it when shaving because otherwise my beard hair clogs the drain and the basin fills up anyway.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Let's correct their math. Currently in 2023, r/Sinkpissers has 28,000 members, not 4 million (lmao). They take an average of 7 pisses per day, but google tells me it's 6-7, and also, on average about one of those will be accompanied by a poop sesh that'll need flushing anyway, so that brings it down to ~5.5 flushes saved. 1.6 gallons is a standard toilet flush size, but some fraction of people will have lower-capacity toilets; but I'm too lazy to find data on that so I'll take that 1.6 gallons and be generous to them by slightly overestimating the sinkpisser savings. Therefore, the total Sinkpisser Savings is 28000 members * 5.5 pisses/(member-day) * 365.25 days/year * 1.6 gallons/piss = 90,000,000 gallons per year. Certainly not 22 billion.

To put that number in perspective: According to the US Geological Survey, in 2015, an average 322,000,000,000 gallons of fresh water were used every day in the United States. Obviously, not everyone in that subreddit is American, but most of them probably are, so I'm going to compare them to that. Using that number, the entire subreddit sinkpissing for an entire year accounts for a savings of 24 seconds worth of water saved.

80% of people in USA own lawns, and if r/Sinkpissers is a representative sample, they can save (very rough estimate) about eight times as much water by all pissing in the toilet like a normal human and those with lawns replacing their lawn with local plants that don't require watering.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DontMockMySmock posted:

80% of people in USA own lawns, and if r/Sinkpissers is a representative sample, they can save (very rough estimate) about eight times as much water by all pissing in the toilet like a normal human and those with lawns replacing their lawn with local plants that don't require watering.

por que no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DontMockMySmock posted:

Let's correct their math. Currently in 2023, r/Sinkpissers has 28,000 members, not 4 million (lmao). They take an average of 7 pisses per day, but google tells me it's 6-7, and also, on average about one of those will be accompanied by a poop sesh that'll need flushing anyway, so that brings it down to ~5.5 flushes saved. 1.6 gallons is a standard toilet flush size, but some fraction of people will have lower-capacity toilets; but I'm too lazy to find data on that so I'll take that 1.6 gallons and be generous to them by slightly overestimating the sinkpisser savings. Therefore, the total Sinkpisser Savings is 28000 members * 5.5 pisses/(member-day) * 365.25 days/year * 1.6 gallons/piss = 90,000,000 gallons per year. Certainly not 22 billion.

To put that number in perspective: According to the US Geological Survey, in 2015, an average 322,000,000,000 gallons of fresh water were used every day in the United States. Obviously, not everyone in that subreddit is American, but most of them probably are, so I'm going to compare them to that. Using that number, the entire subreddit sinkpissing for an entire year accounts for a savings of 24 seconds worth of water saved.

lmao gottem