Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

poo poo, we're out of Frosted Flakes. Alright kids, we have to go to the grocery store. CONOP briefing is in 15 minutes. Becky, bring some extra boxes of 7.62. Timmy, make sure you wait until we pass the ECP at the end of the street before you turn on the CREW system, you know how Mrs. Smith gets when that happens. They're putting up more hescos outside of the kindergarten so that means we're going to take Route Blue today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

psydude posted:

Not trying to start an argument here, but how does one reconcile this viewpoint with the 26 million dead?

start of the German invasion had massive encirclements of unprepared Soviet troops, insane losses for the USSR, that's where most of their disproportionate losses happened

it wasn't because the soldiers who died early on were just miserable at fighting or something, most were caught unprepared on a strategic scale, completely surrounded and annihilated en masse

this kicked the conflict into 'we unfuck this or we all die' mode from Stalin downwards

this allowed for the cream to rise to the top in the Soviet military for that period, kinda merit-based or at least moreso than it had been bc the state could not afford to play politics with who ran things nearly as much

quality/professionalism also shot up because you had to be at least a Little bit talented at warfare to still be a living, active soviet troop/officer by 42-43 or so, everybody had a Lot of practical experience by then

fighting in a total war for the survival of everything you know builds character

the issue is the Soviet Union never institutionalized a lot of the lessons and practices learned from the war

since they'd previously purged their officer class from existence and wiped out all of that intergenerational knowledge and experience pre-war aswell, once the Soviet WW2 vets aged out of service, the Soviet military kinda quietly degraded back into mediocrity w/r/t military professionalism, but nobody noticed, because they weren't fighting in any big conflicts

but during ww2 and after, until the late 60s, they were a world-class military in every right & the 'asiatic hordes' stuff from German generals was truly bullshit and mainly an excuse for why they lost in the Eastern front bc they didn't wanna admit the reason was 'the other side fought better, and was better equipped '

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

mercenarynuker posted:

I'd feel a lot safer if an Abrams was my daily commuter
Until everyone else starts driving an Abrams. I think it would rate poorly on pedestrian collisions too.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Sashimi posted:

Until everyone else starts driving an Abrams. I think it would rate poorly on pedestrian collisions too.

Well then you give everyone javelins and NLAWs. Don't you feel safer now? So much freedom :patriot:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

cr0y posted:

Well then you give everyone javelins and NLAWs. Don't you feel safer now? So much freedom :patriot:

Nah, the future is in drones. Pack a Tesla full of mines as a VBIED and turn on FSD - bing bang boom, no more gridlock

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Nah, the future is in drones. Pack a Tesla full of mines as a VBIED and turn on FSD - bing bang boom, no more gridlock

Why bother with the mines? A good lithium fire is angry enough to burn through most anything :twisted:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you did that about the one place you could guarantee the explosion wouldn't happen at would be your target.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

CainFortea posted:

If you did that about the one place you could guarantee the explosion wouldn't happen at would be your target.

I didn't say gridlock where :twisted:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

FirstnameLastname posted:

start of the German invasion had massive encirclements of unprepared Soviet troops, insane losses for the USSR, that's where most of their disproportionate losses happened

it wasn't because the soldiers who died early on were just miserable at fighting or something, most were caught unprepared on a strategic scale, completely surrounded and annihilated en masse

this kicked the conflict into 'we unfuck this or we all die' mode from Stalin downwards

this allowed for the cream to rise to the top in the Soviet military for that period, kinda merit-based or at least moreso than it had been bc the state could not afford to play politics with who ran things nearly as much

quality/professionalism also shot up because you had to be at least a Little bit talented at warfare to still be a living, active soviet troop/officer by 42-43 or so, everybody had a Lot of practical experience by then

fighting in a total war for the survival of everything you know builds character

the issue is the Soviet Union never institutionalized a lot of the lessons and practices learned from the war

since they'd previously purged their officer class from existence and wiped out all of that intergenerational knowledge and experience pre-war aswell, once the Soviet WW2 vets aged out of service, the Soviet military kinda quietly degraded back into mediocrity w/r/t military professionalism, but nobody noticed, because they weren't fighting in any big conflicts

but during ww2 and after, until the late 60s, they were a world-class military in every right & the 'asiatic hordes' stuff from German generals was truly bullshit and mainly an excuse for why they lost in the Eastern front bc they didn't wanna admit the reason was 'the other side fought better, and was better equipped '

It's really hard to understand just how much of a difference there is between the 1941 Red Army and the 1944 Red Army. After all those purges, the 1941 Red Army is barely able to coordinate more than a battalion to work together, and there are all sorts of tales of tank companies running out of fuel and ammo at the beginning of a counterattack, or completely ignoring what nearby units are doing. Combined arms in were only present in doctrine textbooks, with no real ability to carry it out in practice. Meanwhile the 1944 Red Army is good, and capable of performing out all classic WW2 tactics. If you were to remove the technological differences, a 1944 Red Army tank division is still easily 5-10x better than a 1941 tank division.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Existential terror has a strong motivational effect. I'm still a fan of how Zhukov probably could have overthrown Stalin had he wanted, but Stalin knew if he removed him that would in all likelihood be the game.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm glad that Germany decided to give their inherited East German MiG-29s to Poland a while back, rather than junking them, so that Poland can now give them to Ukraine. It sounds like they're beat to poo poo, but something's better than nothing I suppose.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/tom_bullock_/status/1636486221168771072

Strapping AT mines to an RC car is a good idea

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

worked well enough in GTA :shrug:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm waiting for the Russians to strap AT mines to dogs that they've trained to run in under tanks like they did in WW2.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

worked well enough in GTA :shrug:

And at least one Call of Duty!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Brb gotta buy a holster for my conceal-carry Harrier. Thinking about getting a Hind for my ankle as a dropback

Save your Pepsi points:
https://youtu.be/rx8AqadAD2k

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Terminator music was a good choice

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i'm having loving flashbacks

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Immediately thought of those too.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm waiting for the Russians to strap AT mines to dogs that they've trained to run in under tanks like they did in WW2.

lolling at the idea that the russians can train dogs right now

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Boomba :dadjoke:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tsar Boomba

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1636526564954308609?t=Syjhr2A_OhI88i2d6vbwDQ&s=19

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1636523470841581568?t=SIvn705Rl3LhagxZUZttzw&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1636523472330317825?t=bk77Fd8PQl7KNpEkQTetJQ&s=19

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I feel like you would at least get some cred in the afterlife if you got nailed by a javelin. Getting punked by someone with an RC car and an AT mine would be the guy sitting at the end of the bar everyone makes fun of.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

30k dead :stare:

I don't even know what I can compare that to

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I feel like you would at least get some cred in the afterlife if you got nailed by a javelin. Getting punked by someone with an RC car and an AT mine would be the guy sitting at the end of the bar everyone makes fun of.

Somebody on Reddit posted a picture of drone bombs being placed inside 3d printed aerodynamic dildo casings

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

30k dead :stare:

I don't even know what I can compare that to

I think that's killed and wounded.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

hypnophant posted:

lolling at the idea that the russians can train dogs right now

They tried, but the mobiks ate the dogs. :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cult_hero posted:

They tried, but the mobiks ate the dogs. :(

The dogs should have eaten the mobiks

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Russia's using child soldiers now?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The dogs should have eaten the mobiks

Sun Tzu, The Art of War Part 2.8 : "Bring war material with you from home, but forage on the enemy. Thus the army will have food enough for its needs."

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-soldiers-eat-dogs-food-shortage-ukraine-security-service-claims-1712009

Master strategists

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Politico: ‘Hunting rifles’ — really? China ships assault weapons and body armor to Russia

https://www.politico.eu/article/chinese-companies-are-shipping-rifles-body-armor-to-russia/

quote:

China North Industries Group Corporation Limited, one of the country’s largest state-owned defense contractors, sent the rifles in June 2022 to a Russian company called Tekhkrim that also does business with the Russian state and military. The CQ-A rifles, modeled off of the M16 but tagged as “civilian hunting rifles” in the data, have been reported to be in use by paramilitary police in China and by armed forces from the Philippines to South Sudan and Paraguay.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

cr0y posted:

The chuds have some big brain loving takes on Poland supplying F16s

No, this wasn't sarcasm.

If this dude has the money, I say let him have it. Then just claim his bank accounts when he immediately drives it into a bridge abutment because he doesn't know what he's doing.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If this dude has the money, I say let him have it. Then just claim his bank accounts when he immediately drives it into a bridge abutment because he doesn't know what he's doing.

Immediately confiscate it because it's classified equipment, throw him in a pit.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nuclear Tourist posted:

At least both sides use similar tanks this go Around.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
JDAMS incoming

https://twitter.com/Seveerity/status/1636672477420978176?s=20

Thought you might find this interesting, here's some electronics from a T-90. Stuff from THALES and TI.

https://twitter.com/SmartUACat/status/1636356172025417730

https://twitter.com/Kontakt642/status/1636370177100251141

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Looks like GMLRS to me instead of JDAMS.

e: Or maybe GLSDBs? I recall Ukraine receiving a shipment of those.