Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Why aren’t the Colts in the Rodgers sweepstakes?

Very public failure of Rivers and Ryan. Irsay wants a QB who isn't in danger of turning to dust and will stay with the team for at least 3-4 seasons.

The Jets defense and non-QB offense are also far, far more ready to go than the Colts roster. Rodgers has at least one more season, and a second is up in the air. Colts probably need two seasons to accumulate Super Bowl ammunition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Why aren’t the Colts in the Rodgers sweepstakes?

They know how it ends because they just did the "try to get the last bit of football out of an aging legend thing" twice in a row.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Stop signing players who do not protect Justin fields!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sataere posted:

And the Packers are over here going "give us more for this guy everyone knows will never play for us."

Have we gotten confirmation of that from anyone other than Rodgers?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's not the point, the point is that the Packers have that option, and if the Jets don't offer enough the Packers can threaten to go full scorched earth.

Rodgers declaring he wants to be a Jet didn't eliminate Green Bay's leverage, it actually maximized it. Put yourself in New Jersey's shoes for a moment, you have a Hall of Fame QB saying he wants to go to your team and take you to your best shot of a Super Bowl since the Namath days. What price are you willing to pay? And what happens if you go "That's too expensive"?

You really think Rodgers won't make the Jets hold out when he is fueled by pure spite? The Jets have more motivation to wait. The Packers should want a deal done before the draft so they get extra picks this year. You might get more in draft capital after the draft, but those picks are less valuable.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow looking forward to posting BIG BOB!!!!!! in GDTs after he gets his one reception for 8 yards.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kdrudy posted:

Have we gotten confirmation of that from anyone other than Rodgers?

Reports from a lot of people for weeks now have been saying the Packers just want to move on from him. It's just been downplayed on here even before Rodgers was the one saying it because nobody believes reporters or news anymore, and it doesn't help when the news is stupid like it tends to be, in general but especially in this league. "An MVP winner a year ago alienated himself from the team so much they would rather not play him two years later" now. Years ago the news nobody wanted to believe here for months was "the Niners are looking for a reason to get rid of their SB-appearing coach because Jed York doesn't like him and would rather have someone that can be reined in like Tomsula". It happens

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chris James 2 posted:

Reports from a lot of people for weeks now have been saying the Packers just want to move on from him. It's just been downplayed on here even before Rodgers was the one saying it because nobody believes reporters or news anymore, and it doesn't help when the news is stupid like it tends to be, in general but especially in this league. "An MVP winner a year ago alienated himself from the team so much they would rather not play him two years later" now. Years ago the news nobody wanted to believe here for months was "the Niners are looking for a reason to get rid of their SB-appearing coach because Jed York doesn't like him and would rather have someone that can be reined in like Tomsula". It happens

See, this is the thing that doesn't jive with me. If they really want to get rid of him, why are they quibbling about compensation. The real compensation is not having to deal with him anymore.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's not the point, the point is that the Packers have that option, and if the Jets don't offer enough the Packers can threaten to go full scorched earth.

The Packers don’t have that option because they need a counter party willing to make that trade. Who is to take one 60 million in cap costs for a player who doesn’t even want to be there and is being traded out of spite? Nobody wants Rodgers other than the Jets now, why would him being angry and unwilling make him more attractive?

Also, the idea that the Packers would trade Rodgers for less out of spite is just ridiculous.

quote:

Rodgers declaring he wants to be a Jet didn't eliminate Green Bay's leverage, it actually maximized it. Put yourself in New Jersey's shoes for a moment, you have a Hall of Fame QB saying he wants to go to your team and take you to your best shot of a Super Bowl since the Namath days. What price are you willing to pay? And what happens if you go "That's too expensive"?

This is a homer take. The Packers have one good option and some terrible ones. The Jets have one good option and terrible ones. That’s not leverage, that’s a stalemate.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah man if I'm the jets I just wait.

They are going to have to get rid of Rodgers, there is absolutely no loving way that they want Rodgers around this minicamp/offseason.

The Packers theoretically could do alot of things. But uh, if this isn't taken care of before OTA's and minicamp it becomes a massive distraction and headache. That no football team wants to deal with over who would supposedly be a backup QB.

And then god forbid if Jordan love sucks or gets hurt lol.

Rodgers could make it extremely extremely bad times if they try and keep him around out of some dumb pettiness.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dexo posted:

And then god forbid if Jordan love sucks or gets hurt lol.

The absolute funniest scenario is Rodgers still being on the roster next year sitting on the bench being smug as hell while Love sucks. Just imagine the press conferences.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I said a while ago - just trade Rodgers to whoever’s willing to take on his contract. gently caress compensation. He’s a 39-year-old washed QB. Get him off your books and you’ve won.

The Jets are going to miss the playoffs even with Rodgers. He’s not an “iron man” like Favre and he’s not a fitness freak like Brady. He’s going to get hurt and insist on playing through it, perhaps even hiding it - just like Favre did on the Jets.

Don’t loving play yourselves, Packers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Packers had a miserable dejected season with Rodgers to finish 8-9

They could have a fun lighthearted optimistic season building towards the future without Rodgers finishing 7-10

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Mostly the Jets have other more drastic avenues they can use to get a QB if this falls through.

It's the Nuclear option for the rear end in a top hat owners, but I would have that spade in my hand ready to play. Of just saying no thank you and going to pay Lamar.

Or like Trey Lance is maybe available?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

Mostly the Jets have other more drastic avenues they can use to get a QB if this falls through.

It's the Nuclear option for the rear end in a top hat owners, but I would have that spade in my hand ready to play. Of just saying no thank you and going to pay Lamar.

Or like Trey Lance is maybe available?

jets legend Trevor Siemian is AVAILABLE

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sataere posted:

See, this is the thing that doesn't jive with me. If they really want to get rid of him, why are they quibbling about compensation. The real compensation is not having to deal with him anymore.

They'd probably like to get a good pick out of it and that only happens from this current draft

Regardless of how washed he does or doesn't end up in NY, NY already almost made playoffs with the literal worst QB room a team fielded all last year and even a decent regression from him is still enough to equal that. It'd take a lot for the Jets to do bad enough that any picks they give up for next year amount to great placement for GB. You don't want to give him away for nothing, even when it's obvious you want to give him away

I've seen people say this deal fetches them a first, but what it comes down to is if that's the case, if that first is this year's (#13) or next. Anything else next year is likely conditional based on playtime. Two top 15 picks this year for GB instead of just one would be significant, would even possibly get them a backup plan for Love if he doesn't do well if they wanted to go that route

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chris James 2 posted:

They'd probably like to get a good pick out of it and that only happens from this current draft

Regardless of how washed he does or doesn't end up in NY, NY already almost made playoffs with the literal worst QB room a team fielded all last year and even a decent regression from him is still enough to equal that. It'd take a lot for the Jets to do bad enough that any picks they give up for next year amount to great placement for GB. You don't want to give him away for nothing, even when it's obvious you want to give him away

I've seen people say this deal fetches them a first, but what it comes down to is if that's the case, if that first is this year's (#13) or next. Anything else next year is likely conditional based on playtime. Two top 15 picks this year for GB instead of just one would be significant, would even possibly get them a backup plan for Love if he doesn't do well if they wanted to go that route

A second this year and conditional third next year that could become a second is a more than fair trade. If they are asking for the Jets first, why not just trade for Lamar?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lamar would be two firsts if you go the traditional route and the Ravens don't match, that's difficult to get around; the hope is Rodgers can be gotten for a maximum of one (total or non-conditional)

Obviously I think you should pursue Lamar instead anyway if you want a QB option

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Dexo posted:

They are going to have to get rid of Rodgers, there is absolutely no loving way that they want Rodgers around this minicamp/offseason.

Good news! He doesn't go to minimcamp even when he isn't disgruntled!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Good news! He doesn't go to minimcamp even when he isn't disgruntled!

That’s his secret, he’s always disgruntled.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
you wouldn't like me when i'm gruntled

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 17, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chris James 2 posted:

Lamar would be two firsts if you go the traditional route and the Ravens don't match, that's difficult to get around; the hope is Rodgers can be gotten for a maximum of one (total or non-conditional)

Obviously I think you should pursue Lamar instead anyway if you want a QB option

My point was if you're gonna pay a first for Rodgers, you might as well pay another for Lamar. Giving up a first makes no sense.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Stop signing players who do not protect Justin fields!

Building a team with no offensive or defensive line is going to be an interesting experiment.

xbilkis posted:

Man, what a Pace-rear end draft.

I was trying to remember why they didn't have so many picks and was like "OK, no first because of the Mack deal, not so bad, but why no second..." and I looked it up and it's because they traded it alongside a 4th round pick a year earlier so they could swoop in and grab...Anthony Miller!

At least they had Miller for a few years. Bears just traded a high 2nd for 1 and a half years of Chase Claypool.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 17, 2023

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sataere posted:

My point was if you're gonna pay a first for Rodgers, you might as well pay another for Lamar. Giving up a first makes no sense.

1 of these players has a contract, the other doesn't and further wants a fully guaranteed contract that exceeds what deshaun watson got.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any talk of the Lions committing to Goff long term? I can't believe he is only 28. Thought he was in his 30s.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SKULL.GIF posted:

Very public failure of Rivers and Ryan. Irsay wants a QB who isn't in danger of turning to dust and will stay with the team for at least 3-4 seasons.

won’t stand for this rivers slander

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What if Aaron Rodgers retired and moved to some monastery to hang out with Ra’s al-Ghul or something?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nobody is trading for Rodgers other than the Jets. They can’t just ship him off for some low pick to a poo poo team because nobody is taking on that contract if he doesn’t want to play there. Why do you think the Packers only have one suitor?

Their options are trade him to the Jets, he retires and they get nothing and eat a big dead cap charge immediately, or he doesn’t retire, they get nothing, and are forced to pay him an extra 60m to sit on the bench while Jordan Love struggles.

Well, they still have to pay it, they just get to split the cap hit over two years. But even if the trade itself is executed then both sides surely want a trade in principle agreed to well before that.

Yes, but the Jets are incentivized to get this done now while the Packers are incentivized to wait regardless of whether there is an agreement in principle. So if the Jets want to have Rodgers before June 1st, that should cost extra.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mslmtzm6hyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CiEegaD7Qs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2QtZRaraFU

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 17, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

adaz posted:

1 of these players has a contract, the other doesn't and further wants a fully guaranteed contract that exceeds what deshaun watson got.

Rodgers' contract is not a pro in this scenario.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Gonz posted:

What if Aaron Rodgers retired and moved to some monastery to hang out with Ra’s al-Ghul or something?

You're right, Rogers is absolutely in the mold of a Batman villain. He should definitely get punched or bataranged

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Gonz posted:

Snubbing his friend Rasul Douglas to hang out with Ra's al-Ghul

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"I need the most expensive quarterback you have."

"...No, that's too expensive."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Packers don’t have that option because they need a counter party willing to make that trade. Who is to take one 60 million in cap costs for a player who doesn’t even want to be there and is being traded out of spite? Nobody wants Rodgers other than the Jets now, why would him being angry and unwilling make him more attractive?

Also, the idea that the Packers would trade Rodgers for less out of spite is just ridiculous.

This is a homer take. The Packers have one good option and some terrible ones. The Jets have one good option and terrible ones. That’s not leverage, that’s a stalemate.

That's silly. It's as simple as this:

One team has the QB they want to start Week 1. The other team doesn't.

Who has leverage?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

As terrible as Rodgers is, the Packers front office is almost as bad. I think they are demanding an unreasonable haul because they are terrified he will succeed in New York and it'll be clear that they squandered him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The truly unfortunate part of this is that the Packers and Rodgers probably won't be stuck together, because they truly do deserve each other. Toxic player and toxic org, all the way down to their bones.

Thankfully, the next best thing, the Packers don't get poo poo in compensation, Rodgers loving sucks on the Jets and Love loving sucks on the Packers, is still pretty likely.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sataere posted:

As terrible as Rodgers is, the Packers front office is almost as bad. I think they are demanding an unreasonable haul because they are terrified he will succeed in New York and it'll be clear that they squandered him.

I'm sure this is a nice, comforting thought for you.

MJeff posted:

Thankfully, the next best thing, the Packers don't get poo poo in compensation, Rodgers loving sucks on the Jets and Love loving sucks on the Packers, is still pretty likely.

The scenario you should be rooting for is Love being mediocre, not terrible. Unless you want to see Caleb Williams in green & gold?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It would be pretty unfortunate to have to watch Aidan Hutchinson kill a player that I quite like, yeah. But I'm already coping with that when it comes to Justin Fields anyway, so, I'll deal.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

^^^^^^ EDIT: I'LL KILL YOU, MJEFF!!!! :argh:

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm sure this is a nice, comforting thought for you.

Nah, what would be comforting is if I didn't have to see all this on my newsfeed constantly. I was never even a Packers hater, but your front office is getting me there. They all seem like weasels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sataere posted:

Nah, what would be comforting is if I didn't have to see all this on my newsfeed constantly. I was never even a Packers hater, but your front office is getting me there. They all seem like weasels

It's the offseason and the first wave of free agency is already wrapping up. Not much else to report on other than a 4x MVP being dangled above a team starving for a Superbowl.